Official 2017 Knicks Offseason thread, Phil Jackson gone

Chandler

tumblr_noej5grs791teja04o1_400.gif

most likely pick is frank ntilikina at this point, but i feel like he'll wind up being more of a sg than a pg

if we really want a pg in our range its either fox or dennis smith jr 

fox

dennis smith jr

jjonathan isaac

frank 

monk

in that order, assuming the top 3 and tatum are gone 

Last edited:
most likely pick is frank ntilikina at this point, but i feel like he'll wind up being more of a sg than a pg

fox
dennis smith jr
jjonathan isaac
frank 
monk

That's my same top 5

I wouldn't mind Frank at all. 6'5" combo guard that can shoot & play defense from day 1.

Last edited:

fox

dennis smith jr

jjonathan isaac

frank 

monk

Frank is a pure point. He was considered a talented PG with A questionable Jumper (like a taller Rondo) prior to this season when he fixed his jumper and now because he is tall and can shoot people are trying to act like hes a combo guard. Ive watched many highlights of Frank and read scouting reports and he definitely seems like a true point to me. He looks excellent with the ball in the pick and roll and fast break.

But especially in this era where the stigma against scoring PGs is completely gone and a team's best playmaker is usually a team's PG regardless of how good of a scorer or how tall he is, Frank will definitely be a point in the NBA imo. Remember, Harden was a 2 before this season and both Steph Curry and Russ Westbrook had that dreaded "combo guard/probably will have to play the 2 in the NBA" label when they were draft prospects and now the 3 of them are arguably the best 3 PGs in the NBA right now.

But Frank really isnt even a scoring guard necessarily, I still see him as a pass first PG, just with a much improved jumper. I read today that Fran Fraschilla watched him stroke 27/30 NBA 3s, and he shot above 40% from 3 this season as well. Make no mistake about it, Ntiklina is the Porzingis of this draft class. Raw and relatively unknown coming from Europe, but really no discernable weaknesses on paper.

Only one of the 6 top PG prospects I question as an NBA PG is Monk, which is probably the only reason I dont have him ranked 3rd after Fultz and Ball. But I also think scouts in general are tentative of saying that a combo guard prospect can play the point in the NBA (see what I just said about Westbrook, Curry, and Ntiklina) similar to how scouts are tentative of saying lanky big men draft prospects can be NBA centers (see Porzingis who I always said would be best utilized as a center in the NBA, AD, Tyson Chandler).

Also, I think Monk showed a real ability to be much more of a playmaker as a PG than people give him credit for during that stretch before the SEC tourney when Fox was hurt and really thrived in many of those games, so I suspect a major reason why people dont think he can play point is because he didnt have much of a chance to showcase his PG skills this year at Kentucky alongside Fox, who is clearly more of a "pure" PG.

Regardless, Monk will always be a scoring guard first and foremost, which I would have been more questionable of from a potential PG 10 years ago, but with the likes of Westbrook, Harden, Curry, Lillard, Thomas, etc. becoming some of the best PGs in the NBA, I have little doubt that if Monk reaches his full potential he can get to that same elite class of scoring PGs who have become so valuable. 

I really only want the Knicks to take a PG. IMO the only thing that has a chance to save this sorry *** organization is a franchise PG. We havent really had one since Clyde Frazier, we have other solid pieces who arent PGs who will only get better themselves with a franchise PG, and the NBA is as PG centric as it has even been. IMO it would be foolish to look at all these supremely gifted/young PG prospects in the face and draft anybody else, even if its Josh Jackson.

My order right now is:

1. Fultz

2. Ball (even though I really dont want him in NY)

3. Ntiklina

4. Monk

5. Smith Jr.

6. Fox (Like Fox alot but not as high on him as most others are)

Last edited:
Knicks probably thinking they can package Melo with their pick for the #1 (if Boston gets it). No other reason to meet with Fultz.

I still think Frank is the guy we pick if we stay at 7 though.

Last edited:
kinda OD to trade melo and our pick for the #1...i rather just trade melo for a draft pick in addition to already having our own...and pointless to meet with fultz unless we are trading for the #1 pick... hopefully he pulls a steve francis and will deny the team who drafts him... speaking of the draft this coming Tuesday is the big day

Back
Top Bottom