Official 2017 Knicks Offseason thread, Phil Jackson gone

I guess I'm a Stan since I didn't care if Melo sat on the bench. If a guy has the type of injury that requires treatment or therapy I'd rather them be in the back doing that for 2 hours

I like how Hornacek knows we're a better team without him.

Noah's minutes have steadily been going down. Only played 11 last night.

Got damn. 70 million for 4 yrs to lose your minutes to rookies. If Noah was nice, he'd restructure his contract so he's getting paid as an assistant coach, so his money won't count against the cap :nerd:

Last edited:
I'm a big Melo fan, he's been my favorite player ever since we got him but unlike most I'm a realistic Knicks fan before anything else. I have no problem trashing him when he's not making smart decisions or not shooting well, getting back on D, etc. 

But some of y'all Knicks fans have absolute ZERO support for the man when he's been the only bonified superstar in recent years to want to come here and dedicate his career to the team whether good or bad. He stays actively recruiting, trying to make this the place to be but he can't help it if James Dolan and Phil are horrible GMs. I understand this man cares a lot about his brand and life after basketball which is part of the reason why he wanted to stay but y'all forget that this man genuinely wants to win in New York for the Knicks and the city. He's given us his undying dedication and given up possibly a greater legacy to make something happen here and y'all continue to trash this man like he's some scrub.

This is my 1st year in the thread and I'm dumbfounded at all the Melo hate in the Knicks thread of all places. I got used to the Melo hate from outsiders by now but from our own fans? Y'all are real crazy man. 

I'm a big Melo fan, he's been my favorite player ever since we got him but unlike most I'm a realistic Knicks fan before anything else. I have no problem trashing him when he's not making smart decisions or not shooting well, getting back on D, etc. 

But some of y'all Knicks fans have absolute ZERO support for the man when he's been the only bonified superstar in recent years to want to come here and dedicate his career to the team whether good or bad. He stays actively recruiting, trying to make this the place to be but he can't help it if James Dolan and Phil are horrible GMs. I understand this man cares a lot about his brand and life after basketball which is part of the reason why he wanted to stay but y'all forget that this man genuinely wants to win in New York for the Knicks and the city. He's given us his undying dedication and given up possibly a greater legacy to make something happen here and y'all continue to trash this man like he's some scrub.

This is my 1st year in the thread and I'm dumbfounded at all the Melo hate in the Knicks thread of all places. I got used to the Melo hate from outsiders by now but from our own fans? Y'all are real crazy man. 

If this ain't the realest thing I've seen mannnnnnnn

Bible!

Finally, some of y'all stopped talking out of your ***** for the last couple of pages. Except for that dude that's pissed about Melo not sitting on the bench? You've gotta be kidding me, right? If he's not playing, who cares if he's on the bench or taking a wine bath?

Welcome to the thread man, Ive been writing this kind of **** with alot more words for years now 
laugh.gif

I wouldnt want to trade Melo unless it would get us into the top of this incredible incoming draft class. Malik Monk is a ******* freshman who just put up 47 on UNC yesterday and he is a borderline top 10 prospect in this draft who may not even be the best freshman guard on his own damn team. Think about that for a sec before you dive into the rest of my rant.

Watching that Lakers game and seeing how well KP balled out when Rose was balling himself made me think about how ******* incredible it would be to find KP a young stud PG to build around together, and this draft has the potential to be the greatest PG draft of all time. NOBODY wants to see Melo win in NY more than I do, but lets be real for a sec, if we trade Melo there should be one target and one target ONLY. Not Love. Not Blake. We need to target that Brooklyn Nets first round pick the Celtics have whether he is willing to play in Boston with Isaiah and Horford now or work it somehow into a 3 way. Without that pick involved, I would rather just hold on to Melo and see how it goes.

But I mean I am obsessed with Markelle Fultz on Washington. Dude reminds me a lot of prime Brandon Roy combined with some Dame Lillard and even a little bit of Westbrook explosiveness sprinkled on top for good measure. Lonzo Ball looks like he is a 6'6 Jason Kidd 2.0. You combine one of those 2 with KP you are talking about "greatest Guard/Big in the history of the NBA" type potential.

Those are my 2 favorites but in addition to them you also have surefire lotto picks in Fox, Monk, Dennis Smith, and the 6'6 French dude Nikitina (as I think we all have learned from KP, never count out the unknown foreign dude, who scouts love 
laugh.gif
). Most of those players could potentially have gone #1 overall in some other draft years. Luckily we have our own first round pick and this draft is deep enough where we could potentially nab a long term starter outside the lotto or late in the lotto, but the possibilities of what the Knicks would be able to accomplish with a top 3 pick in this draft are endless. That is why as far as trading Melo is concerned, that is the ONLY thing that should be on anyone's mind.

People fail to look at the big picture very often. Its why everyone was calling for Phil's head that season we won 17 games when in reality that season was the most successful we had since we made the Finals in 99. Its why nobody wanted to take a chance on Porzingis. But once it happens and you see the results in action (like KP) you know it was worth it. A team like the Celtics is close enough to the Cavs to warrant making a move for Melo to combine with Isaiah and Horford and enough assets to give us good return. They are the only potential trade partner for us IMO.

My ideal trade with Boston would be something like Crowder, Bradley, and the pick for Melo. But Bradley is a stud. He has been one of the top defensive guards in the league for years now and the rest of his game is starting to catch up to him. Getting him in that deal is probably a reach, but even something like Crowder, Smart, and that pick I would do in a heart beat.

The thought of Markelle Fultz/Lonzo Ball and Porzingis for the next 10+ years should make Knicks fans giddy as **** if there was even a chance it could happen. But again, its all up to Melo. We are winning right now and I love Melo and I cant say enough about his loyalty. As long as Melo is loyal to us and wants to stay here I will remain loyal to him and root him on until the bitter ******* end. 

Last edited:
I agree with needing young stars to put around Porzingis. This is the best PG draft in a long time. Fultz, Ball, Smith, Fox, Monk, Ntilikina all project to be good NBA players.

But with the way the team is currently assembled we're not good enough to compete for a championship & we're not bad enough to get a top 5 pick. Just gotta ride it out & hope for the best.

I agree with needing young stars to put around Porzingis. This is the best PG draft in a long time. Fultz, Ball, Smith, Fox, Monk, Ntilikina all project to be good NBA players.

But with the way the team is currently assembled we're not good enough to compete for a championship & we're not bad enough to get a top 5 pick. Just gotta ride it out & hope for the best.
Thats why I brought up trading for the Nets pick. Obviously we arent bad enough to get a top 5 pick on our own. And the good part is that if we can pull that off, Rose is just a one year contract, Lee can be a good long term starting role player, and Noah, despite his contract, could be a great defensive minded vet off the bench.

Thats why I brought up trading for the Nets pick. Obviously we arent bad enough to get a top 5 pick on our own. And the good part is that if we can pull that off, Rose is just a one year contract, Lee can be a good long term starting role player, and Noah, despite his contract, could be a great defensive minded vet off the bench.

Thing is, Melo doesn't want to go anywhere. We could talk about the next wave of great guards all day but we're not in position to take any of them unless they somehow slide in the draft.

Thing is, Melo doesn't want to go anywhere. We could talk about the next wave of great guards all day but we're not in position to take any of them unless they somehow slide in the draft.
Agree with that. That's why I said that as long as Melo wants to stay here and be loyal to NY, nobody is going to go harder for him than me. I'm Team Melo all day.

I was just saying that if something happens this season and Melo decides to OK a trade, there should only be one trade target we're looking at. Im aware that its probably unlikely I just wanted to say my piece because yall were talking about potentially trading Melo and I cant stop day dreaming about pairing Porzingis with Fultz 
tired.gif

Call up Chasson. Absolutely no reason for Ndour or Plumlee to be on this team over Chasson, who I not only think has the potential to be better, but clearly plays a position of much greater need for us.

And while on that note, I'm a big fan of KOQ, but if there really are alot of teams calling about him, we should see if we can deal him for a young guard with potential. The good thing about his team friendly contract is that he can be dealt for most players on rookie contracts without much issue.

I see trading KOQ kind of like trading RoLo last year. I dont really want to trade KOQ, just like I didnt really want to trade RoLo, but last year RoLo was one of the few not untouchable (Melo, KP) Knicks with trade value, and the fact was that we needed a starting PG much more than we needed a quality starting center. So we made the Rose deal and it made sense for us.

Now, its similar. I like KOQ alot, but IMO with KP and Noah and Willy and even dudes like Plumlee deeper into the rotation, we could really use another quality young guard more than we need KOQ coming off the bench. Idk who the inquiring teams might be, but I know there was a rumor a few weeks back that Thibs might be looking to unload some of his younger players for solid vets.

Obviously Im not delusional enough to think we are getting Zach Lavine or some **** in a KOQ deal, but I would happily trade KOQ for somebody like Tyus Jones who could make an immediate impact for us as a 3rd PG and has some upside to be more than that down the road. If we could somehow find a way to get a first rounder from a contending team who thinks KOQ could help them out in the playoffs, I also think that is something that we should really look into. Trade KOQ for a late first round pick (which would give us 2 first rounders in a GREAT, deep draft in our arsenal) and use the roster spot to call up Chasson.

I get it that we all want to win now. I want to winn, watching these losses kill me. But this team still needs to be thinking about Porzingis and their future first and foremost. That is priority #1. And if we are able to win some games right now and make some noise, then thats just an added bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Quoted for emphasis.

I think it's just physical with Noah. He just can't anymore. We all know the guy has heart. He's just washed unfortunately. [emoji]127998[/emoji]‍♂️

Noah's game relied heavily on hustle and athleticism

Once his legs started to go it was a wrap

Back
Top Bottom