OFFICIAL 2017 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD - Spring Game schedule on first page

Who is going to win the Pac 12 this season?

• USC

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Stanford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Washington

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Oregon

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • UCLA

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Wazzu

• Utah

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Colorado

• Oregon St

• Cal

• Arizona St

• Arizona

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
can't believe i'm bummed a kicker was kicked off the team.

Their statement in the spring preview book was "his status with the team is unclear due to a student code of conduct violation" so technically he could come back.

But he's been taken off the official roster, he's being accused of domestic violence, and if the way the team handled the Bryce Dixon, Osa Masina, and Don Hill cases are any sign, he's done.

Michigan's looking to add 5 more analysts to the staff.
laugh.gif
Wholeheartedly stand by my statement that they should cap this ****.
Stew was hyperbolic with comments about ND needing to be like Michigan and "selling their soul" but he had somewhat of a point. 

The Michigan blue hairs used to turn their nose up at stuff like this, but now for some reason it's OK because Jim is doing it.  I'm glad Jim is finally making use of Michigan's greatest asset ($$$) but the hypocrisy is why I can't stand a lot of Michigan fans. 

If the ND boosters are serious about going after someone like Chip and making their program nationally relevant again at an elite level, they're going to have to convince the higher ups to sign off on things like shadow staffs, and major facility/program infrastructure upgrades. 

Yeah so the shadow staff(s) are gonna be on the field coaching just as much as the other coaches are.

But since they can't "coach" the kids they will yell or speak at the position coach or whomever with the instructions on what said player is doing wrong

"Coach, why are player xyz's hands not in the right place! He needs to fix that"

:lol:

Look at what you've done NCAA :lol:

It'd be a terrible idea for USC to hire Chip as an assistant right?

It's like asking you're male model gym buddy to train your wife in her 2 a days, while you're busy at work all day. I'm not saying she'd leave you, but it could definitely make her notice your pot belly more than she would otherwise.

It's like asking you're male model gym buddy to train your wife in her 2 a days, while you're busy at work all day. I'm not saying she'd leave you, but it could definitely make her notice your pot belly more than she would otherwise.
Is this actually a rumor on SC boards? 
roll.gif

First practice notes:

As usual we didn't get to see a ton of real football, but we were able to watch about an hour of practice this morning so here are some interesting tidbits coming out of that....

- QB order for reps was Barrett - Burrow - Haskins - Martell. No real surprise there. Barrett and Burrow were the only two in the black non-contact jerseys.

- Kendall Sheffield was out there today, so everything is good to go on that front.

- As we posted earlier, Alex Stump is no longer with the football team but OSU would not say what his future plans are. There have been several transfer rumors around Stump in recent months, the Vandy drum seems to be beating the loudest right now.

- Demario McCall, Eric Glover-Williams, Shaun Wade, Kendall Sheffield, KJ Hill all took some reps on punt return during special teams period.

- McCall is up to 195-pounds according to the roster. Does he look 195? Not sure about that, but he is noticeably bigger so I'll take OSU's word for it on the weight.

- McCall also working primarily with the RB's this morning, but I suspect he'll move around quite a bit once the bullets are live.

- Kyle Trout will work with the team before graduating this spring and transferring to Cincinnati.

- Marcus Baugh is nursing a shoulder injury and was not practicing today.

- Even at a powerhouse like Ohio State, Baron Browning is one of the most physically impressive dudes on the field. First guy off the bus type of dude.

- Antonio Williams got an earful from Tony Alford at one point during individual drills after cutting the wrong direction. 'Hey Dumbass' was how Alford got his attention from about 20 yards away.

- Johnnie Dixon was basically a full participant today. What an enigma. Ran a beautiful comeback route where he exploded out of his stance and then snapped off his route before making an impressive leaping catch on a ball that was thrown behind him, shades of high school recruit Johnnie Dixon. Was also out there on the first rep of team drills, though he didn't take as many reps as some of the other WR's. Pitch count perhaps?

- We got a few minutes of close to real football towards the end with some 6on6 work so the rest of the notes are from that period......

- EGW made several plays working out of the slot. Caught some underneath stuff, some intermediate stuff and one deep ball. Solid first practice, I'll be very interested to see how he develops there.

- Binjimen Victor made some nice catches throughout the morning but did drop one ball after separating from Shaun Wade on a simple slant pattern.

- The team period was rapid fire, everyone was getting a lot of reps so all of the freshmen were out there getting some opportunities. Dobbins ran free out of the backfield on a wheel route and got behind the secondary but Barrett overthrew him. J.K. looked very quick and explosive out there, showed no ill effects from the foot injury.

- Parris Campbell caught several balls during team period. Looked pretty good out there, can he consistently catch the football? Everything else is there.

- Rodjay Burns picked off Joe Burrow.

- Brendon White working with the WR's as expected. Struggled getting off press coverage on one rep and heard about it from Zach Smith.

- Hausmann made a long catch down the seam.

- McLaurin beat freshman Marcus Williamson on a deep ball.

- Jerome Baker made a couple of nice plays, locked up EGW in the slot and broke up a pass at the sideline in coverage against KJ Hill. It's like having a third safety out there with the way he runs.

All I gather is JT still missing throws :smh:

Is this actually a rumor on SC boards? :rofl:

Not at all. They're hiring a support staff/analyst and right now it's looking like Klemm. But there's that far right segment of fans that wants them to break the bank and try to pay Chip to be an offensive analyst.

I was just replying to your shadow staff comment by saying hiring the one guy every sc fan wants would be an awful idea right.

Kendell Jones hitting 405x5, he's at Co-Lin now. 

He look's like he's walking around though close to 4 bills nowadays which makes the feat a little less impressive. 

I kinda doubt Bama's going to pick him back up unless he gets his weight under control.  I still can't believe this was dude only a couple years ago 
mean.gif

Last edited:
 DTR is the only QB Jimbo has offered in the class, as he is notoriously picky with the offers he sends out for QBs and will only do so after seeing them in person. Which he did at a 7 on 7 tournament that coaches are not allowed to attend.

The catch? His son Trey played at the tournament, giving Jimbo access
@dreClark
 Andy Staples‏Verified account @Andy_Staples  23h23 hours ago
 The Class of 2018 recruit everyone wants stands 6-9, weighs almost 400 pounds and has yet to play a down in a game. http://www.si.com/college-football/2017/03/07/daniel-faalele-img-academy-recruiting
 In one of Faalele's early practices Elder taught him to punch the pass rusher with both hands, then grab his chest. During a one-on-one drill that day, Faalele fired his hands to disrupt the lineman's charge. Then one hand disappeared inside the rusher's shoulder pads and the kid went limp. Sensing something wrong, Faalele let go and backed away. "He had grabbed [the defender's] collarbone," Elder says, shaking his head at the memory. Elder clarified: Seize the chest plate of the shoulder pads. "His hands are steel," Elder says. "If he gets them on you, it's over. Doesn't matter if he has good technique or bad technique, it's over."

While the coaches dream of stacks of pancake blocks when Faalele suits up this August, IMG head of sports science Matt Rhea wonders if he needs to order new machines to accurately assess Faalele. Several Ascenders can bench press and squat more than Faalele, but he hadn't engaged in a serious strength program until he arrived at IMG, so his maximum lifts will soar. Rhea is far more interested in power, a measurement of force plus velocity. From day one Faalele's power stats have exceeded those of his teammates. "I was amazed at how fast he is for how big he is," Rhea says. "His lower body power is higher than anything I've ever measured." During a workout last month Faalele hit 2,429 watts while performing a test that involves simulating a shot put motion while using a cable machine. Rhea asked around and found that NFL players usually reach around 2,200 watts when doing that drill.

On the day of the test Faalele weighed 396 pounds. Coaches and teammates assume Faalele will need to slim down, but weight is only a number for Rhea. He is concerned with Faalele's muscle mass compared to his body-fat percentage. Faalele is leaner than many of his fellow offensive linemen, and he'll likely get leaner while packing on more muscle. And since muscle weighs more than fat, it's possible his ideal playing weight might be above 400 pounds. Rhea's biggest concern is that those working with Faalele maximize his gifts—because they'll probably never see another human being like him. "The pressure is on us," Rhea says. "The support structure around him here and at his college needs to do right by him."
sick.gif

sick.gif

Back
Top Bottom