Official 2017-2018 Knicks season thread

That Utah ball movement is something crazy to watch.
I watched them last night and got to see Donavan Mitchell. Kid can play, not sure how much credit the coach should get, but the kid can play :smokin Not familiar with Donavans game but to hear the thread talk he was a lump of coal who's benefiting from a system. We need a system :lol:

I watched them last night and got to see Donavan Mitchell. Kid can play, not sure how much credit the coach should get, but the kid can play :smokin Not familiar with Donavans game but to hear the thread talk he was a lump of coal who's benefiting from a system. We need a system :lol:
You exaggerating big time man

Chill :lol:

:lol: Man you take everything out of context.

Donovan is clearly a special talent nobody is calling him a lump of coal, but that system is great. That team had 45 wins for a reason. We need a coach like that who can plug in players and get the most out of them

:lol: Man you take everything out of context.

Donovan is clearly a special talent nobody is calling him a lump of coal, but that system is great. That team had 45 wins for a reason. We need a coach like that who can plug in players and get the most out of them
Eh, maybe it was out of context but both you and floodarea floodarea seemed to be more impressed with Snyder's system vs Mitchell's talent. I asked if Snyder also gets credit for Exum and that was the end of the discussion. If Mitchell is thriving because of the coach and system then yeah, the Knicks need a system.

Eh, maybe it was out of context but both you and floodarea floodarea seemed to be more impressed with Snyder's system vs Mitchell's talent. I asked if Snyder also gets credit for Exum and that was the end of the discussion. If Mitchell is thriving because of the coach and system then yeah, the Knicks need a system.
Not sure if you meant that as a slight at Quin but Exums career has been ravaged by injuries so he’s kinda irrelevant

He’s performing well in this series too

Utah was projected to be a bottom of the barrel lottery team

Sorry but I gotta go there.

Remember when Carmelo's play the last two seasons was the Knicks' fault for not surrounding him with enough talent?

Guy got a lot of free passes from people who didn't watch Knick games night in and night out.
Melo fell off though.

Don't matter anymore.

The one time they put skill and talent around Melo it was with old vets and most didn't make it to the playoffs.

The Knicks didn't put talent around him to consistently go to the playoffs like Denver did in a much tougher conference.

Lets not pretend its a prime Melo running with Russ.

I'm a big Donovan Mitchell fan I love watching him play but that doesn't mean Snyder's system has no impact. The 2 arent mutually exclusive. Alot of all-time great players have thrived with great coaching. Pop's greatness doesn't take away from Duncan and vice versa.

Just watch how they play vs how OKC plays. It's not Mitchell taking over every game. Last night he played great (didn't watch due to 10:30 start time but I've heard) but the game before he didn't have it. But they still passed the ball incredibly well and rarely had a bad look, while OKC did the exact opposite despite having way more talent on the roster.

There's a reason Pop has made the playoffs for 20 straight ******* years and made it again despite not having Duncan and barely having Kawhi/Manu/TP as well. Coaching matters.

You need talent obviously, hence why Budenholzer won 24 games this season, but a good coach maximizes his talent and puts them in position to succeed. That is something that Quinn Snyder does really well and so has Bud.

^ I agree...and when the Knicks got Amare he was damaged goods and had 1 good year... tyson was good for 1 year but showed his true colors against hibbert when he got owned in the semifinals against the pacers :smh:

Melo fell off though.

Don't matter anymore.

The one time they put skill and talent around Melo it was with old vets and most didn't make it to the playoffs.

The Knicks didn't put talent around him to consistently go to the playoffs like Denver did in a much tougher conference.

Lets not pretend its a prime Melo running with Russ.
It's definitely not but Melo fell off way before this year.

Annoying ain't it :rofl:

Annoying ain’t the word

It’s more like ignorant :lol:
FEC6634C-889B-4B4F-90B0-1C68D40425A9.gif

I'm a big Donovan Mitchell fan I love watching him play but that doesn't mean Snyder's system has no impact. The 2 arent mutually exclusive. Alot of all-time great players have thrived with great coaching. Pop's greatness doesn't take away from Duncan and vice versa.

Just watch how they play vs how OKC plays. It's not Mitchell taking over every game. Last night he played great (didn't watch due to 10:30 start time but I've heard) but the game before he didn't have it. But they still passed the ball incredibly well and rarely had a bad look, while OKC did the exact opposite despite having way more talent on the roster.

There's a reason Pop has made the playoffs for 20 straight ****ing years and made it again despite not having Duncan and barely having Kawhi/Manu/TP as well. Coaching matters.

You need talent obviously, hence why Budenholzer won 24 games this season, but a good coach maximizes his talent and puts them in position to succeed. That is something that Quinn Snyder does really well and so has Bud.
I agree that coaching matters when it comes to utilizing the talent they have to get wins, not so much in the scope of a players ability.

That it was. Exums rookie season wasn't on Mitchell's level at all.
That's because Exum was like Frank. A foreign 19 year old project who showed a lot defensively as a rookie but his offense just wasn't NBA ready. And he never really got a chance to improve it like they hoped due to his injuries costing him a lot of his explosiveness.

Mitchell was drafted as an NBA ready sophomore with 2 years of playing for Rick Pitino under his belt. Not all rookies are created equal. Some projects pan out and some don't for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to coaching. Some NBA ready prospects pan out and some don't. Mitchell is clearly great and Exum doesn't look the part. A lot of that goes beyond Snyder but that doesn't mean his system hasn't benefited Donovan or that injuries didn't hold back Exum.

Utah winning 48 games is a testament to Snyder. Anybody who knows basketball could watch a Jazz game and tell you that by how fluid they look. That **** matters a lot. Their 48 wins is more impressive for him as a coach than OKC winning those same 48 games with more talent and a system of isolation and bad looks. Because coaching is about maximizing talent and Snyder clearly does that.

That's because Exum was like Frank. A foreign 19 year old project who showed a lot defensively as a rookie but his offense just wasn't NBA ready. And he never really got a chance to improve it like they hoped due to his injuries costing him a lot of his explosiveness.

Mitchell was drafted as an NBA ready sophomore with 2 years of playing for Rick Pitino under his belt. Not all rookies are created equal. Some projects pan out and some don't for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to coaching. Some NBA ready prospects pan out and some don't. Mitchell is clearly great and Exum doesn't look the part. A lot of that goes beyond Snyder but that doesn't mean his system hasn't benefited Donovan or that injuries didn't hold back Exum.

Utah winning 48 games is a testament to Snyder. Anybody who knows basketball could watch a Jazz game and tell you that by how fluid they look. That **** matters a lot. Their 48 wins is more impressive for him as a coach than OKC winning those same 48 games with more talent and a system of isolation and bad looks. Because coaching is about maximizing talent and Snyder clearly does that.
I don't think many people put stock in Utah because of the off season loss of GH, and no one expected Mitchell to be a ROY candidate..

I don't think many people put stock in Utah because of the off season loss of GH, and no one expected Mitchell to be a ROY candidate..
Not denying Mitchell's greatness but it's also easier to be AS successful as he was when you are getting good looks and the coach is able to plug you into a system that maximizes your abilities. I think Donovan was an absolute gem and would have been great anywhere, but Quinn Snyder's system was a major reason he had a historic kind of rookie season and a major reason why Utah had 48 wins IMO.

Utah overachieved because Quinn Snyder's system had them moving the ball better and getting better looks offensively. This much is obvious just by watching them play and move the ball.This maximized the performance of everybody on the team, including Mitchell, leading to them overachieving and winning 48 games in the West.

Similar to Frank. I don't think Frank was NBA ready at all on the offensive end. I don't think he was capable of making much of an offensive impact on any NBA team, including somewhere like Utah with Quinn Snyder. However one of the main things I noticed watching the Knicks this season was that Hornacek ran a rather complex half-court offense designed to facilitate ball movement with 2 post players and a cerebral veteran PG.

I credited him for this in the beginning of the season because the offense allowed him to facilitate ball movement despite Jack being the starter and having 2 traditional big men in the lineup. It maximized that kind of lineup, which is hard to do, because the lineup wasn't very talented and most NBA teams don't have 34 year old starting PGs and 2 big men starting.

But once we benched Jack and KP got hurt, moving Beasley to the 4, Hornacek never changed up his style. I don't think Frank was good offensively but I certainly didn't think it helped him to run a pretty complex half court offense all season instead of one of these more improvisational fast paced pick and roll offenses that usually suit young players better.

Back
Top Bottom