Official 2017-2018 Knicks season thread

Jay Wright is far & away my #1 choice followed by Stackhouse, Budenholzer, and Fizdale.

Hard pass on Kidd

Coach absolutely has a huge part in the development of young players. A coach is suppose to maximize his players strengths. Put them at a position to succeed. Rookie or not, that wasn’t an area Hornacek was good at.

Budenholzer was a huge reason why THJ made 72 mill. Completely redefined his game. Look at what Kerr did to Draymond and Klay. The list goes on.

Obviously a majority of it is on the player, but a coach absolutely has the ability to take them to the next step.

So it's the coaches fault Ron Baker is doodoo? it's the coaches fault that Anthony Bennett was trash? it's the Coaches fault that Malik Monk is trash right now? and let me guess it's the Jazz Coaches that got Mitchell up for ROY? Has nothing to do with the players, it's only on the NBA coaches right?

Malik Monk averaged 20 a game towards the end of the season when Clifford finally decided to give him minutes. Ron Baker was a UDFA. Quin Snyder is a huge part of Donovan Mitchell's success.

Anthony Bennett was just a bad pick :lol:

So it's the coaches fault Ron Baker is doodoo? it's the coaches fault that Anthony Bennett was trash? it's the Coaches fault that Malik Monk is trash right now? and let me guess it's the Jazz Coaches that got Mitchell up for ROY? Has nothing to do with the players, it's only on the NBA coaches right?
You really believe what you be saying too :lol:

You must think the coaches just get paid to look good and have no impact on player development either right? :rofl:

Like I’ve said before, can’t be helped if you just don’t get it man

thats what I'm saying everything isn't on the coaches but it seems like no matter who we pick if he doesn't turn out good asap it's the coaches fault. So just hypothetically, if Frank went to Utah and Mitchell came here based on the thought process of some people in this thread, Mitchell would be doodoo because of Horny and Frank would be a budding star because Utah coaches are that much better. It can't always be the coach is what I'm saying.

It’s pretty reasonable to think that if Mitchell was here under Hornacek he wouldn’t have had AS GOOD a season as he has in Utah and if Frank was in Utah under Snyder his season would’ve looked better

It was Woodsons fault it was Pringles fault it was Phils Fault it was Fishers fault it was Hornys fault. Yet Woodson, Pringles, Phil and Horny all were successful prior.

It was Woodsons fault it was Pringles fault it was Phils Fault it was Fishers fault it was Hornys fault. Yet Woodson, Pringles, Phil and Horny all were successful prior.
1. Woodson was never a head coach before NY
2. Phil was never a GM before NY
3. Horny was never successful as a coach. His coaching record in Phoenix was 101-112 :rofl:

You can’t be serious with these points you’re trying to make man :lol:

I can tell you're just a groupie kind of cat, So Woodson was never HC of the Hawks before the Knicks? c'mon B and Hornys First year with the Suns he took them to 12 games over 500 with a team that should've been 12 games under 500
1. Woodson was never a head coach before NY
2. Phil was never a GM before NY
3. Horny was never successful as a coach. His coaching record in Phoenix was 101-112 :rofl:

You can’t be serious with these points you’re trying to make man :lol:

Last edited:
I can tell you're just a groupie kind of cat, So Woodson was never HC of the Hawks before the Knicks? c'mon B and Hornys First year with the Suns he took them to 12 games over 500 with a team that should've been 12 games under 500
You got me on Woodson, forgot about Atlanta completely

But you gonna tell me he was succeful there too right??

You must be either really young or really old to be this clueless thinking basketball is this black and white :lol:

I still dont understand the Kidd hate. The dude clearly has snake-like features, I despised him pretty much his entire career, but he knows how to develop talent and get the job done. Made every single team he ever went to as a player (including Dolan's Knicks and the Nets) a winner.

And in Milwaukee he went there, took the Bucks from 15 wins to 41 and the playoffs in his first season. Helped grow Giannis from basically a step or 2 above where Frank is right now into a legitimate MVP candidate. Middleton was a 2nd round pick he helped grow into one of the best 3 and D guys in the NBA. He caught a bad break with Jabari's injuries but he still looks like a very nice player. Kidd's winning resume and his player development resume speak for themselves. Why wouldn't anybody want the dude who helped grow Giannis into what he is and had a great relationship with him coaching KP/Frank in their formative years?

And Idc what anybody says, but he had the Bucks overachieving this season. The roster was not tier-1 like people made it out to be when he was fired, he didn't have Jabari at all and had Bledsoe for about 2 mins, and then he was fired and the team didn't get better at all despite working EB into the rotation more and getting Jabari back and healthy.

I'd be jumping for joy if we hired Kidd. IMO he's a guy who can get it done here and lead this rebuilding program. But he doesn't even seem to be mentioned as a candidate right now so I'm just going to keep my eggs in the Jay Wright basket, hope that we take a look at Bud, and pray to God we don't hire Doc or Fiz.

The Fizdale **** I just dont get. Get this guy all the way the **** out of here. Guy was an overhyped assistant in Miami, was out clubbing in South Beach all the time with his trophy wife and becoming BFF with Lebron/Wade, and then went to Memphis and didn't do **** except get labeled as a "phony" by Marc Gasol. Guy is all fugazi.

You don't see the difference.

None of those 3 coached a team of players that needed development.

Its easy to look good as a coach with star players already on your team.

Woodson is different cuz he wasn't that successful prior and he actually saw some success here. Plus his flaws as a coach are there no matter what type of team he has.

We admittedly had plenty ****** players over that span but none of them were 1st round rookie players that needed time to develop.

You give some of these "successful" coaches raw players and you begin to see their flaws and how they don't adapt.

Phil don't even count cuz he never coached here. Dudes hate him for non-basketball reasons. They won't even give him credit for trades he made or players drafted or setting the team up to have cap space. Way more concerned with what he said about Melo or KP. With that said his time here can be evaluated as average at best given the short amount of time.

Don't even know why you'd try to defend Fisher.

Pringles clearly can only have coaching success with certain types of players. He needs at least 2 stars and he never had that here. Not having that showed his faults as a coach.

If for you the coach isn't to blame or doesn't even share any then its always the GMs fault for gathering a team of players who can't win together. If its just the players fault then the coach shouldn't be needed at all right?

But the bigger problem has always been Dolan.

Last edited:
I think some of you are missing the point. A lot of people in here blame the coach before the player, which is true in some cases. However, if a GM drafts/signs/trade for bad players, it’s not the coaches fault. They have to play with the hand their dealt. Of course a coach is going to look good if said rookie is playing well, but they’ll also be to blame if they’re not. Some of y’all hate on horny bc he didn’t play Frank enough. Well he didn’t look like a real player most of the season. Regardless if YOU want us to tank or not, coaches are supposed to try to win, so why play someone that isn’t going to help you do that? I’m not saying Jack was better, but you can’t throw a 19 year old out there without damaging his confidence. You guys like to mention age. However, if Frank was ROY y’all would love Horny.

Back
Top Bottom