Official 2017-2018 Knicks season thread

Bamba is the ******* truth. He is sort of like Frank but the difference between PG and C is that if a center can come in and be dominant defensively they can still provide a ton of value to a team even if their offense isn't there yet. Bamba will be an elite rim protector from day 1 on and his offense has shown signs of growth. I like him more than Ayton. Only reason I'm not higher on him for the Knicks is because I want the Knicks to draft another forward or guard and move KP to the 5 full time for the future, but like I said before, if we got like #7 and Bamba slipped, I would not be pissed if we drafted him.

Nbadraft.net has Wendell carter penned in for us. Which wouldn’t be he worse either. He’s great defensively and has a shooting touch.

Don't like Carter for this team at all. JJJr is intriguing but we can't afford another project.

SGA is basically Frank if he played college ball in the US. :lol:

I kinda like Knox but I'd take either Bridges over him.

i hope we get mikal tbh... hopefully he falls to us... i like sexton but no need for a pg since burke is the truth...wouldnt mind bamba but realistically hes a top 5 pick which we wont get...that would be nice if we somehow fell into top 3 pick kinda like how the magic got cwebb and when the bulls got rose... but thats just wishful thinking really

Knicks might as well go after Greg Anthony if they’re gonna go after bald former nba players w/ no coaching experience.

i hope we get mikal tbh... hopefully he falls to us... i like sexton but no need for a pg since burke is the truth...wouldnt mind bamba but realistically hes a top 5 pick which we wont get...that would be nice if we somehow fell into top 3 pick kinda like how the magic got cwebb and when the bulls got rose... but thats just wishful thinking really

Burke is nice, but idk if i'd pass up on Sexton just bc Burke has had a few good games. he's also under contract for one more year, so i'd wait it out before we glorify him as our starting PG.

Knicks might as well go after Greg Anthony if they’re gonna go after bald former nba players w/ no coaching experience.
Stack coaches Raptors 905. But realistically that **** would never happen. If we're going through the G-League our own coach just got COY and prob has a ton more coaching experience.

It seems like most Knicks fans I interact with on social media and **** (most Knicks fans on social media are also complete morons which is why I come to this thread) are fully sold on Mark Jackson being the man. Like sold to he point where there's no other option.

How do yall feel about Mark? He seems to be the frontrunner. Personally I wouldn't hate Mark, he's actually the guy I wanted the Knicks to go with when he was considered Donnie Walsh's favorite before he hired Pringles instead. I'm a fan of the guy and I respect what he did with Golden State and think he deserves some credit for their success after he left.

But at the same time some Knicks fans like to say that he "built" that team and make it out to be like their success was inevitable with or without him because of the job he did. Like I said, I think Mark deserves some credit for that team, but honestly I think the amount is seriously exaggerated by Knicks fans who really want Mark.

For the development aspect, Mark can't get full credit. He took over the team in 2012. In his first season Curry was dealing with his ankle issues and the team sucked but Steph was already on a star player trajectory in the 2 years before Mark showed up. I'd say Don Nelson deserves most of the credit for his development. He had Klay from day 1 so he gets credit for that but Dray was a rookie who didn't get much PT and then exploded onto the scene the year after Mark left. So idk how much credit Mark truly deserves in the development of that team, although they did go from perennial bottom feeders to consistent playoff team during his tenure.

But as far as people who say he gets the credit for the Warriors success, sure part of the equation were Steph/Klay improving as players and getting Draymond in the mix, but you can't convince me that the Warriors would have reached anything like the heights they did with Mark Jackson as head coach. The Warriors, with that same gifted roster basically, but replacing Draymond with prime David Lee (who was honestly a better offensive player anyway), was a middle of the pack offensive team in almost every major category during Mark Jackson's last year. Natural player development is not what made them just above middle of the pack to basically being a historic offensive powerhouse in one ******* season.

Mark Jackson had the Warriors playing a grind out, isolation style of basketball that prioritizes slowing down the pace and playing defense. I remember him consistently being called out for having the Dubs play way too much isolation ball, similar to Scott Brooks in OKC, and now they are the best ball moving team in NBA history period.

Idk if I want a guy like that coaching this team. Idk if I want the guys who held the Warriors back offensively because he was married to a particular style. It's a major red flag for me when I see a coach married to a style of play. Being married to a style of play can work for college coaches who are the authoritarian of their programs, but in the NBA the best coaches need to prioritize personnel over style because it is a player's League first and foremost.

I always look to ******* Pat Riley as much as I hate him as the ultimate player over style coach. He ran showtime in LA, then took away from the Bad Boy Pistons to incorporate that style/mentality with the Knicks, then he did the same thing built around pick and rolls in Miami when he ran the offense through Hardaway, and then he adapted to Wade's incredible abilities. That's why he had success everywhere. I don't like coaches married to a style like Pringles or Phil or Larry Brown or Mark Jackson for what it seems, especially if that style is outdated and doesn't fit what we should be looking for.

It's actually kind of odd. I love Mark Jackson as a Johnnie/Knick (even though I honestly remember him most as a player in the ******* backcourt with Reggie during my lifetime). I wanted Mark to coach the Knicks in 2008 because I wanted somebody who could bring defensive minded basketball back to the Garden, like the Pistons or the Celtics or Spurs were winning with at the time, and I liked the idea of a young coach who could develop with the team because everybody knew we had 2 years of sucking left, so I thought that Mackson as a snart young NYer ex-Knick ex-Donnie Walsh favorite would be a perfect fit.

I hated D'Antoni and didn't think that his small ball, 3-point shooting, no defense playing style was capable of winning a championship or winning in NY. I didn't think it was sustainable without Steve Nash either. I still think Pringles is one of the most overrated/predictable coaches in NBA history, but now I actually want a coach closer to D'Antoni; someone forward thinking that could get this team playing modernized NBA basketball (since we have arguably the best small-ball glitch in the NBA right now that we don't use properly), and I don't really want Mark Jackson.

Idk, I honestly wouldn't hate it if we brought in Mark. I'm a big NYC basketball romantic, so I'm an admitted sucker for that type of ****, and he does deserve some credit for helping mold the Dubs, but at the same time I just have this feeling that if we hire Mark Jackson we're gonna spend the next 3 years or so tortured by watching the Knicks run a post up offense around KP like we used to have with Ewing. :smh:

For me, I'm still holding out hope the Knicks offer Jay Wright a blank check and he is swayed by making $10+ million more in NY than he would by staying at Nova, but realistically of the likely top targets my guy is still Jason Kidd. I'd definitely take Mark over Doc or Fiz though. Doc ******* Rivers would be an unbelievably stupid move and so stereotypical Knicks it would be like they are trying at this point. :smh:

Honestly wouldn't be upset if the Knicks shocked everybody and hired a relatively unknown assistant, just because the move would be so opposite of classic Knicks I'd have to respect it. As long as it is not an assistant from our current staff (we need to at least start establishing a culture of success here and not let losing assistants become head coaches like we have front office personnel who have done nothing but lose for 20 years now get promoted to team president :stoneface: ), unless it's the D-League coach because he seems to be the only coach in NY who had a good season both in terms of team success and player development. Think he might have some potential. You never would guessed JVG would be JVG, sometimes the under the radar guys are the hardest workers.

sorry for the rant. VERY slow day at work.

Last edited:
Burke tremendously improved, but Sexton is a much quicker, better finisher, and a scrappier guard. I really like Burke off the bench.

I need us to just plug Frank at PG, give him 35 min a game, and go from there. Won’t justify us wasting that pick just yet.

I don't want anything to do with Mark. He is a drama queen, couldn't get along with his staff owner and players. We do not need that here at all. Not to mention he is not what I would consider a forward-looking new school type of guy like you said. Those offenses he ran are not going to be able to keep up in today's NBA. How much credit he really deserves for GS is up in the air imo, though he did build a decent team.

Maybe I am biased because he is TERRIBLE as an analyst.

My hope in Mark Jackson is that he commentates so many games and saw how his Warriors evolved under Kerr that his coaching would improve.

I think he’s a tremendous coach for a young team. Yes he’s mostly a preacher as far as I know, but I feel like our current personnel would actually listen to him.

Hornacek just wants to fight everyone calling them Puccies

Burke tremendously improved, but Sexton is a much quicker, better finisher, and a scrappier guard. I really like Burke off the bench.

I need us to just plug Frank at PG, give him 35 min a game, and go from there. Won’t justify us wasting that pick just yet.
I still see Frank as SG, now and in the future. It makes a ton of sense defensively and watching him shoot I think he has the potential to be an excellent shooter in the future, even a high level 3 and D guy. His ball handling is still his biggest weakness and I think farther away than his shooting.

I don’t think his footwork is good enough to be a SG. If you’re not gonna play him at point put him at the 3 imo.

PG or SF

Burke is strictly a bench guard. A very good one but claiming that we should pass up on a potentially great starting guard fit because we have Burke is foolish IMO. Whether you want to call Frank and 1 or a 2, he is not great at attacking the paint right now, so he clearly needs somebody in the backcourt with him who can do that. Most NBA teams have 2 interchangeable guards in the backcourt any way these days instead of the more traditional "PG" and "SG."

For instance, if the Knicks drafted Sexton, Frank would clearly be the one with the "PG" mentality. That's his style of play, while Sexton has a clear attacking "SG" mentality, but at the same time we NEED a lead guard who can break down the defense and get in the paint because that is how you create opportunities for yourself and others in the current NBA landscape, where there is less/none half-court offense.

That is how we need to play to utilize KP properly. Pick and rolls/fast break/3s. So unless Frank can learn how to break down the defense better than he does (legit possibility, he's only 19 and has looked good on the break at times this season, he's clearly not there yet but he's also been held back by Horny sticking him in a half court offense all season), we would need an attacking lead guard with Frank in the backcourt. So if we drafted Sexton, he would technically be the "1" because he would do the majority of the ball handling and break down the defense. He'd also guard the 1 because he is smaller. But in terms of mentality Frank plays like a traditional PG while Sexton clearly plays like a SG. Whatever you want to call it, Sexton or no Sexton, Frank needs a guy like that in the backcourt with him.

You can't rely on Burke in that role. Be grateful that you found a legit rotation player from the G-League but you gotta remember to take these garbage time games with a huge grain of salt, or else you do **** like giving Ron Baker a NTC. :lol:

Burke and Beas off the bench for the long-term though. :pimp:

Last edited:
Jerry Stackhouse? This regime wants me to abandon them. Or just go in to hibernation for decades.

My hope in Mark Jackson is that he commentates so many games and saw how his Warriors evolved under Kerr that his coaching would improve.
This is so sad.

Not really. If you cant learn from your mistakes, you shouldn't coach. We've seen our fair share of stubborn af coaches.

I like Burke as the sixth man

From Zach Lowe this morning:

Burke in New York has the statistical profile of a star. He's shooting well from everywhere: 39 percent from deep, Nowitzkian levels from midrange on colossal volume, and even 73 percent at the rim -- once a no-fly zone for an undersized guy with average athleticism.

Burke isn't just hunting points. He has assisted on almost 40 percent of New York's baskets while on the floor, a borderline top-five number. He has developed a nice pick-and-roll chemistry with Michael Beasley; New York has scored 1.28 points per possession on any trip featuring a Burke-Beasley pick-and-roll, the fourth-best (!) mark among almost 300 duos that have run at least 150 such plays, per Second Spectrum.

He's putting up those numbers playing with G league players.

Would be nice to see Burke's production with KP and a player like Miles/Mikal in the lineup.

Back
Top Bottom