Official 2017-2018 Knicks season thread

If Kidd can't get the best out of Giannis, Brogdon, Middleton, & Bledsoe, what do you think he'll do here?

Hard pass on him.
tenor.gif

Bucks season before Kidd: 15-67
Bucks under Kidd: 140-152

Not a great record by any means but the Bucks were ******* 15-67 before he took the job. That's unfathomably bad. He took them to the playoffs the following season and has definitely gotten the most out of the Bucks for the most part, besides his disappointing 2nd season. This, btw, almost entirely without the draft pick they used to capitalize on their miserable 15 win season, Jabari Parker.

Giannis pre-Kidd: SUPER raw 19 year-old 15th overall pick, 1 season: 6.8 PPG, 4.4 RPG, 1.9 APG, 0.8 SPG, 0.8 BPG, 41.4% FG
Giannis post-Kidd: 3.5 seasons, current MVP candidate: 19.1 PPG, 8.1 RPG, 4.2 APG, 1.3 SPG, 1.4 BPG, 51.4% FG

Khris Middleton pre-Kidd: unheralded 2nd round draft pick who got some burn on a awful team, 2 seasons: 10.9 PPG, 3.3 RPG, 1.8 APG, 0.9 APG, 0.9 SPG, 0.2 BPG, 44% FG, 40% 3 PT, 3.1 3PTA
Khris Middleton post-Kidd: extremely valuable 3 and D player who has been forced into becoming a secondary option due to injuries to Jabari Parker, 3.5 seasons: 16.5 PPG, 4.4 RPG, 3.5 APG, 1.5 SPG, 0.9 BPG, 46% FG, 39% 3PT, 3.8 3PTA

Malcolm Brogdon post-Kidd: unheralded 2nd round pick who won ROY last year under Kidd and has become another extremely valuable 3 and D role player, 1.5 seasons: 11.5 PPG, 3.0 RPG, 3.9 APG, 1.1 SPG, 0.2 BPG, 47% FG, 40% 3PT

I mean Kidd had 36 games with Bledsoe. It's not like he has had a lot of time or a training camp or anything like that to work him into the offense, but he still has him performing at a very high level with averages of 17.6 PPG, 3.8 RPG, 4.3 APG, 2.3 SPG, 0.6 BPG, 45% FG, 31% 3PT. Plus he's not a shooter. He is an attacking PG best with the ball in his hands, which isn't the greatest fit next to Giannis who obviously handles the ball most of the time,. They have taken awhile to a djust and that's a big part of the reason the Bucks have actually gotten worse after trading for Bledsoe.

But I mean, to make it like this team is fantastic and Kidd is holding them back is ridiculous. This team has a superstar in Giannis and then a couple of guys playing beyond the roles they are capable of playing at, and then a bunch of glorified bench warmers filling the rest of the positions.

The Bucks have no frontcourt whatsoever. Yet, he still had Greg Monroe out of rotation, which I LOVE. I never wanted Monroe on the Knicks and I absolutely love how Kidd was forward thinking enough to not play Monroe and turn instead to guys like John Henson and even Thon Maker, who don't slow down an offense that should be played at max speed with Giannis and aren't absolute zeroes on defense. Most coaches play Monroe because of his ability and stats. But Kidd knew he was a poor fit and would make the team worse. So he didn't play him and he got traded. Knicks need some of that on this team with our 55 low post centers slowing down the offense.

A large point of their recent decline has been due to the same **** that is going on with the Knicks. Giannis was playing at a freakish unsustainable level to start the season and the Bucks were overachievers. Now defenses have caught on a bit to Giannis, injuries kick in, and the Bucks crash back down to reality. **** happens.

Some of yall dudes look at things like if a coach isnt making his team a championship contender he has done a **** job. To say Kidd is the reason the Bucks are "only" at a .500 level is wrong but to say that "he can't get the best" out of those guys is utterly ridiculous. The whole reason everyone thinks so highly of those guys to begin with is because of Kidd. He developed them.

It's similar to when Scott Brooks was getting blamed for OKC and not getting the most out of KD and Westbrook. On one hand, that was true with how he managed the game and put them in so many iso situations, but on the other hand, he developed those guys and was a major part of the reason they ever became what they are.

But it's different with Kidd because he has gotten them to overachieve on the court and unlike KD/Russ/Harden, the players he has developed into the Bucks core were all unheralded prospects so he deserves even more credit. The only touted prospect he has had has barely played because of injury.

No doubt in my mind Kidd should be the next coach of this team. Sure the guy is a prick and used to be my least favorite player in the NBA, but I can't deny that the dude is a evil genius in the mold of Pat Riley. I'd rather have a guy like that on my side than against me. He was the smartest basketball player I've ever seen and a huge part of helping that 2013 Knicks team overachieve.

If the Knicks want to get back there then they need to hire Kidd in the offseason. This is the guy we need to develop Frank like he did with all those players in Milwaukee and take KP to that next level like he did with Giannis. We have gone over to the point of annoyance how similar Frank and Giannis rookie years have been, and Kidd took over Milwaukee the season after Giannis' bleh rookie season. As far as KP, he is similar to Giannis in that he still needs to take that next step that Giannis took this season.

No doubt in my mind that Kidd is that guy. He is too perfect of a fit for what we have going to pass up on. His biggest flaw is that he always thinks he is smarter than everyone, dating back to when he was a player and was well-known for getting coaches he didn't think were doing the job right fired, but for the most part he is always right. He is smarter.

He was right about Billy King being a ****** GM and getting the **** out of BK just before the storm hit. He was right about Milwaukee having untapped potential despite a season in which they had one of the worst records in NBA history. He was relentlessly mocked by the NYC and national media for that move. Joking about his failed power play that resulted in him getting tossed and coaching the worst team in the NBA in ******* Milwaukee of all places. And of course the infamous Prokhorov "Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you."

Na, that was just a diabolical chess move by the evil genius Kidd is. He knew it was a win-win. He was either gonna get moron Billy King the **** out of Brooklyn and have full control over the Nets (which was unlikely) or he was going to coach a team he saw a future with, unlike BK. He planned it perfectly because he is smarter than other coaches.

He's definitely a egomaniac prick about it, which is why he has now left / gotten fired over issues he has had with the front offices that employ him twice now, but he's usually right. Luckily for us, I ******* trust the Knicks front office as much as I trust a tipsy Jason Kidd behind the wheel. ****, for all I care we make Jason Kidd team president with Perry has his GM like the situation Thibs has in Minnesota. Get Steve cockroach Mills the **** out of town once and for all.

Kidd is still young and on the right team with the right front office he has the potential to become one of these franchise coaches in the mold of Brad Stevens or Carlisle. I can't say that about anyone else on the market, certainly not Mark Jackson despite my fanhood of the guy being a NYC/Johnnie/Knicks legend.

Knicks would really **** up if they don't find a way to hire Kidd now that he's out of Milwaukee. We can outbid anyone so there's no excuse IMO. If the Knicks want Frank and KP to run this franchise for the next decade + and win basketball games, they bring in Kidd.

No excuses. I swear to ******* God if they pass up on Kidd because they refuse to have Mills (Dolan) give up overseeing the basketball operations like what happened with David Griffin over the summer, Idk what I'll do because we are going straight back to the Isiah years when Dolan basically ran the basketball ops.

Sorry for the long rant.

Last edited:
As of late last week, Charlotte had hoped to engage with the Knicks on trade talks involving Walker, but no substantial discussions had taken place at that point, per league sources. Charlotte is looking for a young player or a draft pick and appears eager to shed one of its less desirable contracts in a potential Walker deal, according to the report by Wojnarowski.

Those requirements would seem to be a holdup for New York. Opposing executives have gotten the impression that the Knicks are opposed to trading draft picks or taking on a significant amount of salary unless it brings back a transformative player.

Opposing executives believe that the Knicks will move one of their four centers before the deadline. As ESPN first reported, several teams have expressed interest in 23-year-old center Willy Hernangomez.

Hernangomez has been largely out of coach Jeff Hornacek's rotation this season, but teams have interest in the second-year center based on his age, his strong performance last season (8.2 points, 7.0 rebounds in 18 minutes per game) and his contract (two more years at about $1.5 million.)

Starting center Enes Kanter and backup center Kyle O'Quinn also have received interest from opposing executives, sources said, with members of the Golden State Warriors among those executives to express interest in 27-year-old big man O'Quinn.

Several teams have expressed interest in wings Courtney Lee and Lance Thomas, as has been the case dating back to the beginning of the season. What the Knicks do -- or don't do -- with a player such as Lee could tell us a lot about whether they feel this team has enough to make a run for a playoff spot.

New York values its veterans and views them as pivotal in building a winning culture. So those factors likely will be weighed if serious offers for Lee emerge. Opposing executives have come away with the impression that the Knicks aren't looking to trade Lee and would only do so if it meant bringing back a significant return.

Surprised to see there’s as much interest as there is

There’s young talent out there to be had for cheap. We gotta jump on it

I don't have anything against Kidd but Bucks fans being happy he's out isn't a good look for him.

Kidd is my favorite ball player ever. He STINKS as a coach. Pass
I just don't get that opinion. Unless you have ridiculously unrealistic expectations about this current Milwaukee team I just don't see what Kidd has done for anyone to say he STINKS as a coach.

Pretty sure he led Milwaukee to the biggest one year turn around of all time taking them from 15 wins and the worst record in the NBA to 41 wins and a playoff spot in his first year as coach. Pretty much the same exact thing he did as a player when he took the Nets from 26 wins to 52 wins and 2 straight Finals appearances his first 2 years there.

Beyond that he has developed unheralded prospects to their maximum potential. Literally the absolute ceiling of what scouts said Giannis, Middleton, and Brogdon could be is what they are right now.

And he wasn't even fired because of his coaching, he was fired because he was having issues with the front office, probably once again because he felt he was smarter than them and wanted more control to make the team better like he did as a player and like he did with Brooklyn.

Warriors Interested In Trading For Kyle O'Quinn
JAN 23, 2018 10:56 AM

Oquinn_Kyle_nyk_151216.jpg

The Golden State Warriors have expressed interest in trading for Kyle O'Quinn.

The New York Knicks have an excess of centers in Enes Kanter, Willy Hernangomez, Joakim Noah and O'Quinn.

The Warriors have their own issues with too many centers in Zaza Pachulia, David West, JaVale McGee and Jordan Bell.

"O'Quinn has certainly outperformed his contract," said David Jacober, a strategic planning consultant for NBA teams. "His diversity on offense makes him attractive to a number of teams, such as Houston and Golden State."

O'Quinn has a $4.2 million player option for next season that he's expected to decline.

We gotta keep my fellow Queens brother

Pass on Kidd. Don't like a lot of his philosophies as a coach (inconsistent rotations, intentionally fouling up by 4). Even though I think he'll be great for Frank.

You have a roster with a superstar in Giannis and really good players such as Brogdon, Middleton, Parker here and there. That's enough to win 35-45 games a year alone. Bucks fans seem happy he got fired, so def not a good sign.

Pass on Kidd. Don't like a lot of his philosophies as a coach (inconsistent rotations, intentionally fouling up by 4). Even though I think he'll be great for Frank.

You have a roster with a superstar in Giannis and really good players such as Brogdon, Middleton, Parker here and there. That's enough to win 35-45 games a year alone. Bucks fans seem happy he got fired, so def not a good sign.
He doesn't win 35-45 games? Kidd gets the most out of that roster for sure and his development skills have been uncanny.

He doesn't win 35-45 games? Kidd gets the most out of that roster for sure and his development skills have been uncanny.

Not arguing about his development skills. He's done a good job. I just think any coach can get a team led by Giannis to 35-45 wins a season.

Back
Top Bottom