OFFICIAL 2016 RIO SUMMER OLYMPICS THREAD (Rio is a wrap; See you in Tokyo in 2020 (or, more likely,i

man.. nathan adrian cut that 100 free prelim wayyyyyy too close, qualified 16th (last spot, by .03).. would have been a blow for the US, he's got a strong chance for gold

good to see all of the guys from my high school make it through to the semis (caeleb dressel, joseph schooling and santo condorelli)

Yeah, its pretty cool to see people you know in the Olympics. One of my college buddies I mentioned in my earlier post was Jazon Lezak, who won a few medals in the 2004 and 2008 games.

Last edited:

man.. nathan adrian cut that 100 free prelim wayyyyyy too close, qualified 16th (last spot, by .03).. would have been a blow for the US, he's got a strong chance for gold

good to see all of the guys from my high school make it through to the semis (caeleb dressel, joseph schooling and santo condorelli)

Yeah, its pretty cool to see people you know in the Olympics. One of my college buddies I mentioned in my earlier post was Jazon Lezak, who won a few medals in the 2004 and 2008 games.
lezak probably had the greatest relay leg in the history of swimming.. phelps should be buying him dinner for the rest of his life, cause Beijing and 8 golds doesnt happen without him pulling off that miracle
3 and half years.. being a kid, I didn't really appreciate it at the time.. but it was a blast when I look back on it

like I said before, I was burnt out on swimming.. so really only did it through sophomore yea of high school season (swimming is year round, obviously.. high school season goes the first half of the school year then we switch to club.. or training changes slightly from short course to more long course)

but it was simple things that made it fun.. getting to run full court pretty much every night for 2 hours.. was like a full time summer camp

and when I wanted to get out of jax I had cousins and friends in college down in Miami, tampa or gainsville I hit up all the time 

Last edited:

lezak probably had the greatest relay leg in the history of swimming.. phelps should be buying him dinner for the rest of his life, cause Beijing and 8 golds doesnt happen without him pulling off that miracle

3 and half years.. being a kid, I didn't really appreciate it at the time.. but it was a blast when I look back on it

like I said before, I was burnt out on swimming.. so really only did it through sophomore yea of high school season (swimming is year round, obviously.. high school season goes the first half of the school year then we switch to club.. or training changes slightly from short course to more long course)

but it was simple things that made it fun.. getting to run full court pretty much every night for 2 hours.. was like a full time summer camp

and when I wanted to get out of jax I had cousins and friends in college down in Miami, tampa or gainsville I hit up all the time 

the US is easily number 1 because of sheer numbers.. the amount of kids who go over for high school and/or college is huge (scholarships and all that).. and most will just stay over and train and then just compete for their "home" countries for major competitions

and then you have some that have US citizenship but declared for other nations (like santo conderielli).. or you got a guy like Vladimir morozov who grew up in US and went to USC and actually tried to get declared for the US prior to the 2012 Olympic trials, but couldn't get it sorted out in time (and now swims for Russia)

Australia and japan are up there, in terms of depth and overall programs.. 

for some of the countries, it's difficult just having the facilities and getting kids to want to participate based on their climate (like England)

Canada and brazil, also have had stars over the years.. you just have to look at the teams that are competitive throughout all of the relays (and don't just have like 1 really good relay, because they happened to have 4 solid people come around at the same time)

like south African has had some shine with individuals and had a really really good 4 x 100 men's team for an Olympic or two (because 4 guys came around at the same time).. and have 1 of the fastest breaststrokers (Cameron van der burgh) and 1 of the fastest buttflyers (le clos) but wont be able to put together the other 2 legs to medal in the medley relay

but like anything that takes a ton of work, it's hard to stay motivated just own your own.. so even if you have a star from a smaller nation, they'll go somewhere where they can have people they can complete with day in and day out in practice

like joseph schooling from Singapore, went over to the US for high school and holds national records and was part of relay teams that hold the national high school records.. and now he's at texas and again holds NCAA records (100 and 200 fly) and was part of record breaking relay teams with guys on the US team (jack conger, townley has and clark smith)

Last edited:

the US is easily number 1 because of sheer numbers.. the amount of kids who go over for high school and/or college is huge (scholarships and all that).. and most will just stay over and train and then just compete for their "home" countries for major competitions

and then you have some that have US citizenship but declared for other nations (like santo conderielli).. or you got a guy like Vladimir morozov who grew up in US and went to USC and actually tried to get declared for the US prior to the 2012 Olympic trials, but couldn't get it sorted out in time (and now swims for Russia)

Australia and japan are up there, in terms of depth and overall programs.. 

for some of the countries, it's difficult just having the facilities and getting kids to want to participate based on their climate (like England)

Canada and brazil, also have had stars over the years.. you just have to look at the teams that are competitive throughout all of the relays (and don't just have like 1 really good relay, because they happened to have 4 solid people come around at the same time)

like south African has had some shine with individuals and had a really really good 4 x 100 men's team for an Olympic or two (because 4 guys came around at the same time).. and have 1 of the fastest breaststrokers (Cameron van der burgh) and 1 of the fastest buttflyers (le clos) but wont be able to put together the other 2 legs to medal in the medley relay

but like anything that takes a ton of work, it's hard to stay motivated just own your own.. so even if you have a star from a smaller nation, they'll go somewhere where they can have people they can complete with day in and day out in practice

like joseph schooling from Singapore, went over to the US for high school and holds national records and was part of relay teams that hold the national high school records.. and now he's at texas and again holds NCAA records (100 and 200 fly) and was part of record breaking relay teams with guys on the US team (jack conger, townley has and clark smith)

was encouraged to walk on for track/football at university of Miami (I didn't really look outside of the florida schools).. had offers from d2 schools.. probably could have played at a smaller school

but didn't really want the time commitment that went with all that considering at most I'd be a practice dummy at a bigger school.. I was pretty lucky, my parents could afford my tuition

do kinda wish I made a decision a little earlier with things though.. either start track/football from my freshman year.. or take a break from swimming and then stuck with it

Last edited:

was encouraged to walk on for track/football at university of Miami (I didn't really look outside of the florida schools).. had offers from d2 schools.. probably could have played at a smaller school

but didn't really want the time commitment that went with all that considering at most I'd be a practice dummy at a bigger school.. I was pretty lucky, my parents could afford my tuition

do kinda wish I made a decision a little earlier with things though.. either start track/football from my freshman year.. or take a break from swimming and then stuck with it

Final Five 
smokin.gif

Ran the 400-1500 before I really started to properly run track.. Just because of the lung capacity I had from swimming

But once I learned proper technique, switched to the 100 and 200 and ran the 4 for relays

Bolles wins states pretty regularly in football, always got multiple people going D1.. Track team is decent because of the football team.. Baseball team is also good (chipper jones went there).. Wrestling is also good because of football players

Sports illustrated did a top 25 high schools for sports and I think we were 13th.. Only private school on the list

But nothing is as good as the swimming, I think they are getting near 30 straight state titles on the boys and girls sides.. Multiple national records

Last edited:
Ran the 400-1500 before I really started to properly run track.. Just because of the lung capacity I had from swimming

But once I learned proper technique, switched to the 100 and 200 and ran the 4 for relays

Bolles wins states pretty regularly in football, always got multiple people going D1.. Track team is decent because of the football team.. Baseball team is also good (chipper jones went there).. Wrestling is also good because of football players

Sports illustrated did a top 25 high schools for sports and I think we were 13th.. Only private school on the list

But nothing is as good as the swimming, I think they are getting near 30 straight state titles on the boys and girls sides.. Multiple national records

1600 and 3200 for me

But never liked track compared to CC. 8 times around bored me :lol:

Steeplechase was :pimp: when tracks had it

Back
Top Bottom