Official 2016 Boxing Thread: 11/5/2016 - Vargas/Pacquiao Top Rank PPV.

Did Virgil Hunter give Ward a single piece of tactical advice the entire fight? And why was John David Jackson silent between most rounds? I just noticed this :lol:

Did Virgil Hunter give Ward a single piece of tactical advice the entire fight? And why was John David Jackson silent between most rounds? I just noticed this :lol:

earlier in the fight he did, if you watch Virgil and Ward other fights he doesnt really give fighter advice about the other fighter. He is more so just talking to him around how he is. There interaction will be unlike any you will ever see again as Virgil has literally been in the mans corner his whole boxing life (this rarely happens in boxing anymore), and with Ward being the tactician he is and sticking to the game plan what more can you tell your fighter other than words of encourgagement or urging your fighter to give more which Hunter did. Other times he was talking directly into Wards ear where cameras could not hear which he also does often

Hunter did also bring to Wards attention Kovalev slowing down and now turning things up.

John David Jackson also isnt one to talk much in the corner, if you noticed the first fight he was the cornerman for one of the other fighters. Didnt really have much to say

Last edited:
Am I mis-remembering or was one of the Russians in Sergey's corner giving more instruction?

Maybe JDJ feeds him info between rounds and the other guy does more of the talking in Kov's first language?

Last edited:
Am I mis-remembering or was one of the Russians in Sergey's corner giving more instruction.

Maybe JDJ feeds him info between rounds and the other guy does more of the talking in Kov's first language?

Even so if this was the case HBO normally has a translator ready.

One thing I do appreciate about Kovalev is that he atleast tries to speak english.

I want to see him beat Stevenson so bad then come back and fight Ward to unify all the belts.

I think an immediate rematch would do Kovalev no good

Translator for us or for the fighter?

I just remember at one point JDJ did give him some instruction, but then another guy jumped in and did more talking, and then JDJ was kind of looking at him telling him what to tell Kov.

Under all that intense pressure its prolly best for the fighter to be trained in their native language. Trainer prolly tells the other corner man what to say right before the end of the round.

Translator for us or for the fighter?

I just remember at one point JDJ did give him some instruction, but then another guy jumped in and did more talking, and then JDJ was kind of looking at him telling him what to tell Kov.
For most of Kov's fights it's usually JDJ giving instruction with one of the Russian's translating, but they had a different system in place for this fight, which is probably why HBO did not have a translator for the fight. 

With how dramatically different the languages are the system they used in the Ward fight is probably much more efficient. 

Last edited:
Ward talking about heavyweight is no different then Roy Jones cherry picking a weak titlist. Nothing to take serious.

But honestly outside of a rematch the man has nothing left to prove. Not Even sure who he fights after kovalev. They've been building this up for the last 2 years. Anything else would be meh

RJJ at HW was actually somewhat conceivable because the man was one of the greatest athletes to ever step in the ring. Ward gets KO'd even if someone like Andy Ruiz gets a title.

Last edited:
Ward talking about heavyweight is no different then Roy Jones cherry picking a weak titlist. Nothing to take serious.

But honestly outside of a rematch the man has nothing left to prove. Not Even sure who he fights after kovalev. They've been building this up for the last 2 years. Anything else would be meh

The current crop of heavyweight champions aren't the most talented but they aren't John Ruiz either. If Ward steps in the ring with any of them and is conscious after 12 rounds, it would be miraculous.

He said he'll only move to HW if it's the right opponent (how RJJ did) he said he's not stupid, he know he can't compete with the top HW.

RJJ at HW was actually somewhat conceivable because the man was one of the greatest athletes to ever step in the ring. Ward gets KO'd even if someone like Andy Ruiz gets a title.

This. If Roy attempted the same bolo that Ward did he wouldn't get caught with a jab from Kovalev.

This. If Roy attempted the same bolo that Ward did he wouldn't get caught with a jab from Kovalev.

You right BC if he would have taken that shot in the 2nd he ain't getting up. Lol and I am big Roy Jones fan. Got to meet him at may PAC fight weekend

Last edited:

You right BC if he would have taken that shot in the 2nd he ain't getting up. Lol and I am big Roy Jones fan. Got to meet him at may PAC fight weekend
His chin was actually decent before he yo-yo'd in weight and better yet his reflexes wouldn't have allowed him to get caught

His chin was actually decent before he yo-yo'd in weight and better yet his reflexes wouldn't have allowed him to get caught
This 
Ward is an all time great and would have a chance against any hw
Somehow this take is even worse than any of your Broner ones. 
laugh.gif

Fury after a coke bender KO's Ward rather easily. 

Back
Top Bottom