Official 2016 Boxing Thread: 11/5/2016 - Vargas/Pacquiao Top Rank PPV.

Legit LOLed at dude saying Ward was not trying to clinch. Have you ever watched Ward? Do you know what they teach at the Virgil Hunter School of Boxing?

How many times have you re-watched the fight? 3 for me and probably a couple more times throughout the week. I notice something new every time. This really was a masterpiece. It is my favorite fight ever even though I don't agree with the official judging.

Last edited:
I haven't boxed nor practiced TKD (purple belt lol) since early high school, given a couple non combat related elbow and wrist fractures and rigorous academic standards at my HS.
So yea has been awhile

Ward not clinching?
Well damn. The stuff you say about Broner is pretty ridiculous, but that has to be the worst **** you ever said lmao

Fair enough. I keep thinking Rigo is 118 for some reason. Still tho, if they met in the middle at 118 I'd like to see it. 5'4" 68" reach vs. 5'3' 64" reach.

If not Rigo then Inoue then.

As far as his record I'm not gonna pretend like I keep up with the little guys as much as the other weight classes, I don't. Maybe you can hip me. But the combo of HBO making it a point to showcase him as a #1 p4p guy, but then seeing he recently fought a 37 year old (Leon) with a 38-33-3 record, that's been knocked out 19 times!? Another 37 year old in Sosa with 10 losses and 3 KO's? Brian Viloria who's a name but also mid 30's and probably past his prime. Arroyo fight was cool, shoe thing was weird but Roman probably had that regardless. Cuadras fight was cool. He also fought a string of what looks like mainly bums between beating JFE and fighting for the flyweight title?

I dunno, like I said I'm not the expert on strength of schedule when it comes to the super small guys, but I'm always suspicious when a network gives a heavy push but has a guy fighting dudes outside the top 10, old heads with names, etc. I know he's nice just not sure exactly how nice.

I believe JFE went down in weight to fight Chocolatito, only to lose a close SD.

A few months ago it made sense for that fight to happen as JFE moved up and wanted that fight only for Choco to price himself out

I think Inoue withdrew from his upcoming fight due to injury

Rigo only rehydrating two pounds is as believable as the Floyd "I walk around at 147" nonsense 
laugh.gif

Personally I dont think even Roman gets by Inoue, and gets stopped late.  The longer they put that fight off the worst it gets for him IMO.  The kid is only going to get better as long as he can stay healthy. 

Ward was a lil ***** for duckin his head in kovelevs armpits.

I hope he Tasted sweat from that.

Wards clinchin was annoying.

Yea crazy what these refs let ward get away with, yesterday and his entire career.

He tore up Kessler's face with all those bhop headbutts
What a fraud

Y'all both delusional. Ward wasn't trying to clinch he was trying to step inside kovalev sweet spot at range. Ward proved he was the better in fighter all night but kovalev was man handling him on the inside.

Neither of u clearly have ever boxed before.

Ward was trying to close the gap and kovalev being the vet he is stopped it by willing holding a headlock. It hurt him later tho leaving his rib cage exposed all night.

Im really interested to see the judges scorecards to see what they saw round by round

Check in recent images.

Anyway next year is gonna be dope! I'm also hearing Ortiz vs Rios in February? :nerd:

Last edited:
Check in recent images.

Anyway next year is gonna be dope! I'm also hearing Ortiz vs Rios in February? :nerd:

Thanks for the note, couldnt see em from mobile. But after seeing the scorecards I agree with the judging. very little discrepancies with the exception of round 12 and round 5.

These judges clearly acknowledged the body work that Ward handed out along with his ring genralship. In the first 4 rounds Kovalev was cutting the ring off after that he became a follower which is highly out of character for him.

Does anyone know the pre-lim numbers this fight did?

Anyone think there is a better fight for May5th then this rematch? Also a GGG Ward fight still wouldve been great, as I see GGG being able to make adjustments like Ward that Kovalev was not.

I think people who actually box and know boxing can really appreciate what Ward was able to do with the adjustments mid fight. His ring IQ is crazy good.

I hope this Walters fight can come close, Lomachenko is also a great ring tactician.

Legit LOLed at dude saying Ward was not trying to clinch. Have you ever watched Ward? Do you know what they teach at the Virgil Hunter School of Boxing?

If you have watched his fights in the past then watched this one, you cant be the one clinching when your head is under an armpit. If you boxed you would know that Ward was simply trying to turn the fight into an infight. one thing not really discussed in this fight was Kovalev's reach and how most of if not all his knockouts come from range rather then on the inside. He had a 1.5 in reach advnatage. Which was huge bc even on the KO Ward came up short on his shot and Kov landed flush.

Ward was the first guy we've seen to really get in on the inside against Kovalev and he did not look comfortable at all.

Both guys were great tho and belong in top 4 P4P rankings.

I hope this fight did well in the Box Office, does anyone know the payout to each fight?

Hopefully this fight and Loma vs Walters set a new trend for 2017 to follow.

There hasn't been a more evenly matched fight from outside eyes perspective in a long time

Last edited:
Lomachenko is -900 :x I mean, the cat is really good! One of my favorite fighters these days, especially that hand dropping technique. :lol:

But I won't count Walters out! That uppercut is no joke.

Rigo has shown he can be hurt a few times already. He got knocked down a couple times his last couple fights!

Lomachenko beats Rigo IMO.

Last edited:
Rigo blew his chance of ever beating Loma and getting the fight on decent terms last summer. 

He's getting older and distance between the two business wise is getting larger. 

Rigo has shown he can be hurt a few times already. He got knocked down a couple times his last couple fights!

Lomachenko beats Rigo IMO.

I like Loma a lot. But he's had 7 pro fights lol. Much smaller sample size than Rigo. Also Rigo is an interesting mix w/ power & technical ability at his weight class. Loma boxes beautifully, but so does Rigo w/ more power added on.

Lol I said best, not most accomplished.

And yes he beats rigo IMO. Naturally bigger man and just as skilled. He would also MAKE Rigo fight which is something we haven't see yet. Most of rigo's opponents are already mentally defeated before the opening bell

Lol I said best, not most accomplished.

And yes he beats rigo IMO. Naturally bigger man and just as skilled. He would also MAKE Rigo fight which is something we haven't see yet. Most of rigo's opponents are already mentally defeated before the opening bell

I said Rigo is better. Not more accomplished. Lol.

Anyway, I don't see Loma winning. Just my opinion. A shame we'll never see that fight though.

I said Rigo is better. Not more accomplished. Lol.

Anyway, I don't see Loma winning. Just my opinion. A shame we'll never see that fight though.

That sounds good but rigo has only had 17 pro fights in 7+ years while Lomachenko will have 8 in 3+ years and is way more active. Not to mention Lomachenko turned pro at an earlier age and has already faced better competition than rigo has. Walters>>>>>Donaire. Also rigo might be older than 36.

Late to the game but just watched the Ward Kovalev fight. I had Ward winning by a point and it surpise me that the judges had the same margin for the fight.

I had Ward winning or tieing a round from the 5th round on. Great match. Rematch is should be done since it was a championship fight - you have to. It's just courtesy to the former champ.

Back
Top Bottom