Official 2016 Boxing Thread: 11/5/2016 - Vargas/Pacquiao Top Rank PPV.

I had it a 50/50 fight before opening bell, only fitting came down to being a 50/50 decision. Helluva fight, Kovalev is a monster, and Ward really dug deep. You can disagree with the decision, but what we saw was greatness on both sides. They were digging deep, Ward dug himself out a huge hole. I thought the KO would be the tipping point tho for Sergey.

Ready for a rematch.

Ready for Loma/Walters next week and ready for One Time / DSG

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Kovalev won at least 6 rounds and given the knockdown, should have been enough to edge the win. I don't understand why punches in the clinch are counted, and that's what Ward did for the majority of the fight, he clinched a lot and landed body punches. I think the ref should have separated the two more frequently.

I guess Andre Ward really is the Son of God for this win. He's my hometown guy but I didn't want him to win this way, much more respect if he had lost but never gave up.

Sucks to hear why everyone says this is why boxing is dying with judge scoring like this especially if this is on PPV.

Whatever happened to that mantra of, "You gotta take the Title away from the CHAMPION..."?

If you think Andre Ward took the belt from Kovalev tonight then youre delusional...

Sad to say but BOXING IS DEAD. Sketchy judging is one of the main things that killed this sport straight up.

Ward got his ear drum busted.

This is dam near a robbery.

Ward clearly dont want no dam rematch.

Boxing use to be again USE to be about a challenger has to take the belt from a champion, tonight being how close it was to ME Ward did not take the belt from Kovalev especially when its close the champ gets the benefit of the doubt

You know you didn't look impressive when Adonis Stevenson is calling you out.
laugh.gif
Its funny because I'm sure he's happy Ward won instead of Kov, dude has been dodging Kovalev for a long time now lol

Ward didn't even think he won 
laugh.gif

Kov dominated the early part of the fight, and every close RD in the second half of the fight did not go in Ward's favor.  I better never see any of y'all post "he didn't do enough to beat the champion" in any other fight.  Could you imagine how wide the scores would of been had Kov been the challenger? 
laugh.gif

I gained respect for Ward after this fight though.  My prediction was based on my feeling that he wouldn't be able to weather the storm after some early adversity, but he did and showed heart in doing so. 

Ward's going to want a 90/10 split with the fight being in Oakland after 4 tune ups before we get a rematch. 

Does anyone who is saying Ward won or the fight should've been a draw feel ward did enough to win or for the fight to be a draw lol?

He did very little significant work the entire fight. Isn't kovalev the champion? Did ward do enough to beat the champion or even get a draw?

This **** was clearly decided before these dudes even got in the ring.

I'm going to rewatch tomorrow, and score precisely. However, I am pretty sure I wouldn't give Ward more than 5 rounds. He won 7 rounds according to the cards, counting the knockdown.

I guess Andre Ward really is the Son of God for this win. He's my hometown guy but I didn't want him to win this way, much more respect if he had lost but never gave up.

You would respect him more if the JUDGES scored in favor of Kovalev?

I saw Kovalev win, not Ward, and would have loved a rematch and hope Ward wins that. Even Ward seemed to have been surprised at the decision, but never said he was during the post fight interview.

Boxing use to be again USE to be about a challenger has to take the belt from a champion, tonight being how close it was to ME Ward did not take the belt from Kovalev especially when its close the champ gets the benefit of the doubt

In this era money is worth more then the belts.

Does anyone who is saying Ward won or the fight should've been a draw feel ward did enough to win or for the fight to be a draw lol?

He did very little significant work the entire fight. Isn't kovalev the champion? Did ward do enough to beat the champion or even get a draw?

I'm sorry what fight did u watch? Both guys did work. I'm pretty sure kovalev will be pissing blood tomorrow and in a lot of pain in the body.

I think we get caught up in the reputation of kovalev being the big puncher. I don't believe he lost but I'm not mad at the decision. He chased ward a lot and never inflicted his will like i was expecting. I gotta rewarch fight on mute. Ledermans scores were off big time and you could tell he had a bias for kovalev

im a huge ward fan but even im disgusted with the win.... ya its cool he won but imo he didnt deserve to win especially as a challenger who got knocked down... at best the fight should of been a draw... my bad for being a broken record saying the same thing but i just cant believe the judges got this wrong... it reminds me for the first pacman and bradley fight

I take back what I said about a draw, TECHNICALLY a draw isn't possible because of the knockdown. What Max Kellerman was explaining at the end was that one of the possible scores that could've only had Ward ahead was 114-113, if it was any other score Kovalev would have been up. It just happen that all 3 judges scored the only possible outcome to give Ward the win.

Again, close fight, not really "robbed" but definitely controversial. Hope Ward steps up and accepts a rematch. 

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom