Official 2016 Boxing Thread: 11/5/2016 - Vargas/Pacquiao Top Rank PPV.

I think Stevenson's money punch will put Ward away for good, problem is I don't think he can land as much as Kovalev did.
View media item 2234686Stevenson is easy work for Ward, come on now. If this fight was close you know Ward would dominate Stevenson

I don't think Stevenson would beat Ward. I think Stevenson's left would hurt Ward more than Kovalev could hurt Ward, that's if he lands it...

This fight will get the same reception the Hagler/Leonard decision did it seems :lol:

Great fight though.

Last edited:
I'm a fan but it was still hard to say Ward got 7. I think I had it 6 rounds each but Kovalev had the knockdown so he edged it out. I gotta watch it again though and score.

I'll say this though, that early Kovalev pressure and knockdown could've ****** Kovalev up with the judges. When they see him dominating like that for the first two rounds, and then all of a sudden the fight starts slowing down and he's not landing those big shots anymore, it's tends to look like Ward is slowing down and/or controlling the fight, and so in those really close rounds I can see them leaning towards Ward. And also Ward started slow and picked up, so again, in contrast to the early rounds it looked to judges (and everybody really) like Ward figured Kovalev out down the stretch.

Regardless it was a dope fight though. Ward showed champion level poise getting off the mat and winning most of the rounds down the stretch, and Kovalev stayed in it and didn't get frustrated. Worth the money. Dope to see the best fighting the best. I'd definitely pay for the rematch too.

I don't think Stevenson would beat Ward. I think Stevenson's left would hurt Ward more than Kovalev could hurt Ward, that's if he lands it...

Stevenson could 100% knock Ward out clean if he caught him right. If he catches anyone right at 175 really. That left hand is dangerous.

This fight will get the same reception the Hagler/Hearns decision did it seems :lol:

Great fight though.

Hagler-Leonard you mean? Hearns got knocked out clean :lol:

Last edited:
It was close fight, and I don't see an issue with the outcome. Kov lost due to his inability to close the deal. Kov started to fade in the 2nd half of the fight, Ward on the other hand, weathered the storm early on and showed up in the 2nd half especially in the championship rounds.

I'm a fan but it was still hard to say Ward got 7. I think I had it 6 rounds each but Kovalev had the knockdown so he edged it out. I gotta watch it again though and score.

I'll say this though, that early Kovalev pressure and knockdown could've ****** Kovalev up with the judges. When they see him dominating like that for the first two rounds, and then all of a sudden the fight starts slowing down and he's not landing those big shots anymore, it's tends to look like Ward is slowing down and/or controlling the fight, and so in those really close rounds I can see them leaning towards Ward. And also Ward started slow and picked up, so again, in contrast to the early rounds it looked to judges (and everybody really) like Ward figured Kovalev out down the stretch.

Regardless it was a dope fight though. Ward showed champion level poise getting off the mat and winning most of the rounds down the stretch, and Kovalev stayed in it and didn't get frustrated. Worth the money. Dope to see the best fighting the best. I'd definitely pay for the rematch too.

Stevenson could 100% knock Ward out clean if he caught him right. If he catches anyone right at 175 really. That left hand is dangerous.

This fight will get the same reception the Hagler/Hearns decision did it seems :lol:

Great fight though.

Hagler-Leonard you mean? Hearns got knocked out clean :lol:

I corrected it before you quoted :lol:. I always think of Hearns when I think of Hagler :lol:

For everyone saying Kovalev started to fade in the 2nd half of the fight, you do realize that he threw more and landed more punches the whole fight right? Oh yeah he also landed more power punches as well.

Still disappointed as hell but it's whatever. This is pretty much the lowest point of boxing for me. Get two of the best pound for pound fighters in the ring to bring back hype to an obviously dying sport just to rig the scorecards for more money on the rematch... TSK TSK.

View media item 2234708

Last edited:
It was close fight, and I don't see an issue with the outcome. Kov lost due to his inability to close the deal. Kov started to fade in the 2nd half of the fight, Ward on the other hand, weathered the storm early on and showed up in the 2nd half especially in the championship rounds.

So because Ward survived the "storm" means he won the fight? :lol:

What did Ward do to Kov to show the fans why HE deserved the belts?

And please don't say he showed us he can survive. A 50 year old Hopkins showed he can survive better! :lol:

I corrected it before you quoted :lol:. I always think of Hearns when I think of Hagler :lol:

True :lol:

For everyone saying Kovalev started to fade in the 2nd half of the fight, you do realize that he threw more and landed more punches the whole fight right? Oh yeah he also landed more power punches as well.

Still disappointed as hell but it's whatever. This is pretty much the lowest point of boxing for me. Get two of the best pound for pound fighters in the ring to bring back hype to an obviously dying sport just to rig the scorecards for more money on the rematch... TSK TSK.

Kovalev: 126 of 474 (27%) of his total punches
48 of 242 (20%) of his jabs
78 of 232 (34%) of his power punches

Ward: 116 of 337 (34%) of his total punches
55 of 168 (33%)of his jabs
61 of 169 (36%) of his power punches.

So basically Kovalev only landed 10 more punches total while throwing about 140 more. Not the best look, especially when he was connecting well early on. Still a very close decision though. I'm gonna rewatch but I don't think it's quite the "robbery" some of yall are making it out to be, it was a close decision.

Last edited:
This controversial win doesn't raise Ward's profile, if anything it diminished it. James Prince, Roc Nation, and Jordan padded some pockets.

Last edited:

So basically Kovalev only landed 10 more punches total while throwing about 140 more. Not the best look, especially when he was connecting well early on. Still a very close decision though. I'm gonna rewatch but I don't think it's quite the "robbery" some of yall are making it out to be.

I think people are just verbalizing incorrectly or overreacting when they call it a "robbery". It's hard to call it a robbery when a majority of the rounds were swing rounds. However, it was a robbery in the sense that Kovalev no longer has three titles when he didn't deserve to lose.

So basically Kovalev only landed 10 more punches total while throwing about 140 more. Not the best look, especially when he was connecting well early on. Still a very close decision though.

Being the more active boxer is usually one of the main determining factors when it comes to judging fights. The only time being more accurate while throwing less punches actually benefited a boxer was with Floyd Mayweather... Andre Ward shouldnt get the same treatment as Money, theyre not even on the same level IMO.

Ward fought one hell of a fight and did enough to dig himself out of an early hole but there is absolutely no way he took the belts from the champ tonight. I couldnt even see this as a draw being that Ward hit the deck. Kovalev got FINESSED tonight, plain and simple.

In this era money is worth more then the belts.
I'm sorry what fight did u watch? Both guys did work. I'm pretty sure kovalev will be pissing blood tomorrow and in a lot of pain in the body.

I think we get caught up in the reputation of kovalev being the big puncher. I don't believe he lost but I'm not mad at the decision. He chased ward a lot and never inflicted his will like i was expecting. I gotta rewarch fight on mute. Ledermans scores were off big time and you could tell he had a bias for kovalev

Meaning he was the AGRESSOR, correct? I mean lets be real here... Ward was not being chased around all fight because he was setting traps for counter punches. He was on the defensive because he got dropped early. Sergey landed more, threw more, had more significant punches, scored the only knockdown of the fight, controlled the distance, and dictated the fight. Most champions who do all of that usually win after 12 rounds.

Being the more active boxer is usually one of the main determining factors when it comes to judging fights. The only time being more accurate while throwing less punches actually benefited a boxer was with Floyd Mayweather... Andre Ward shouldnt get the same treatment as Money, theyre not even on the same level IMO.

Ward fought one hell of a fight and did enough to dig himself out of an early hole but there is absolutely no way he took the belts from the champ tonight. I couldnt even see this as a draw being that Ward hit the deck. Kovalev got FINESSED tonight, plain and simple.

I definitely don't subscribe to that theory. Walking forward and throwing punches at thin air should never win you a fight. I guess we differ on that.

But again, close fight. I'm gonna watch it again in the AM and score round by round, but on first viewing, I can def understand people thinking Kovalev shoulda pulled out the win. Alot of very close rounds.

Last edited:
This controversial win doesn't raise Ward's profile, if anything it diminished it.

Stop it, man. If you're letting a decision that Ward had no control over negate the fact that he went up in weight to fight the best fighter IN HIS PRIME and stood toe-to-toe with him then I don't know what to tell you.

I'm not bashing Ward. It was amazing to see him come back and actually win some rounds. Nobody has been able to do that against Kovalev, everyone else hit the deck and went into survival mode or got finished shortly afterwards. However if he leaps over Roman Gonzalez on P4P rankings then I question the motive.

Last edited:
this is whats wrong with boxing...

Michael Yormark of Roc Nation Sports, Ward's promoter, said it was too soon to talk about a sequel and declined to acknowledge the rematch clause

Said Kovalev: "Of course, I want a rematch and I will kick his ***. I want to show good boxing."

Heck of a fight. Big ups to both fighters. I personally had the fight a draw. Kovalev started well, but around the 7th round he started to fade or the body shorts did some damage. Ward was hurt a couple of times, but dude showed heart of a champion to come back after being hurt the first couple of rounds. I think a rematch will be really interesting for the reason we saw. Both guys bring it!!!

However if he leaps over Roman Gonzalez on P4P rankings then I question the motive.

Chocolatito is impressive, but I really don't know how good those fighters he's beating are. I would like to see him fight Rigondeaux or someone with a name to really solidify his spot above Ward. Until then, Ward should be ranked higher.

However if he leaps over Roman Gonzalez on P4P rankings then I question the motive.

Chocolatito is impressive, but I really don't know how good those fighters he's beating are. I would like to see him fight Rigondeaux or someone with a name to really solidify his spot above Ward. Until then, Ward should be ranked higher.

I definitely question whether Roman Gonzalez really deserves to be #1. I'm just saying Ward's ranking shouldn't improved based on this performance, and neither should Kovalev's. Kovalev still #2 and Ward still #4 in my book.

Back
Top Bottom