Official 2016-2017 NBA Season Thread - NBA rules Chris Bosh has a career ending injury

Who is the MVP?

• Russell Westbrook

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kawhi Leonard

• James Harden

• Lebron James

• Kevin Durant

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Defense, playing with pace and rebounding are the main tools it will take to beat Golden State.

Slow the game down, keep them from running and limit their possessions.

That's what hurts a team like GSW.
All things that Utah has but they gave up 74 points to the Knicks big 3 so it doesn't matter.
laugh.gif
Ehhhh they're more of a medium 3

Aka all my points have been refuted with facts, and I have nothing else to say :lol:

Na, they haven't been refuted with any facts, you still using circumstantial at best evidence.

Comparing KD on OKC to him on a totally new team and using those numbers to predict.

Using KD OKC playoff series history to predict GSW winning.

Comparing the Jazz of last year to this year when they've made a bunch of roster/usage changes.

Comparing Indy TO rate to Utah now because they had George Hill even though he wasn't even the highest usage player.

Using Utah's TO % from last year to say that they don't have ball control when they were decimated by injuries without a PG for the entire year.

You out your mind if you think those are facts. :lol:

Only things we know are the Jazz are and will remain the better rebounding and defensive team and those things control pace and hurt shooting.

GSW plays with the fastest pace and takes the most 3's while not rebounding or defending well.

Once again, season just started.

All that **** you talking is a wild reach, you wanna be right so bad you left reality behind, take a nap.

Last edited:
Agree on Utah. I think they matchup well with GS better then majority of teams in the west.
GS really needs to get some help on the rim protection issues. Only one ball, offense could only get so much better. No one really scared of GS right now.

Aka all my points have been refuted with facts, and I have nothing else to say :lol:

Na, they haven't been refuted with any facts, you still using circumstantial at best evidence.

Comparing KD on OKC to him on a totally new team and using those numbers to predict.

Comparing the Jazz of last year to this year when they've made a bunch of roster/usage changes.

Comparing Indy TO rate to Utah now because they had George Hill even though he wasn't even the highest usage player.

Using Utah's TO % from last year to say that they don't have ball control when they were decimated by injuries without a PG for the entire year.

You out your mind if you think those are facts. :lol:

Only things we know are the Jazz are and will remain the better rebounding and defensive team and those things control pace and hurt shooting.

GSW plays with the fastest pace and takes the most 3's while not rebounding or defending well.

Once again, season just started.

All that **** you talking is a wild reach, you wanna be right so bad you left reality behind, take a nap.

So you can say adding George Hill to a team with the 26th ranked TO rate last year will turn them into an elite team in that category, but I can't say that KD will be even more efficient against Utah than he was in the past because he's on a better team in a better offense? And I'm the one leaving reality behind? :rofl:

You talking about Utah will make it harder on GSW than any other team to hit 3s, when they were the #18 3PT% defense in the league last year, #23 so far this year, But EYE am the one who needs to take a nap? :rofl:

Last edited:
Still waiting on Kawhi to mysteriously fall off :nerd:

He didn't even have a good game against the Clippers and numbers still looking :x

Usage still over 30% (currently 33%)

TS% 63
PER 35
3PT% still below his averages (just wait til he gets that going)
26 / 5 / 3 on 17 shots

OBPM at 11 . Defense is slowly jumping up

Still waiting on Kawhi to mysteriously fall off :nerd:

He didn't even have a good game against the Clippers and numbers still looking :x

Usage still over 30% (currently 33%)

TS% 63
PER 35
3PT% still below his averages (just wait til he gets that going)
26 / 5 / 3 on 17 shots

OBPM at 11 . Defense is slowly jumping up
Well yea, I mean that's math :lol: He's had 5 incredible games, 1 good game, 1 poor game. His numbers are closer to the 5 incredible games.

The PER on that usage is still unsustainable that OPBM is unsustainable, the TS% will also come down as his FT% does, though not that much since his 3PT% will go up.

But yea, his Clippers game fell far below those numbers and I expect several other outings that will cause those unsustainable numbers to fall.

Last edited:
Well yea, I mean that's math :lol: He's had 5 incredible games, 1 good game, 1 poor game. His numbers are closer to the 5 incredible games.

The PER on that usage is still unsustainable that OPBM is unsustainable, the TS% will also come down as his FT% does, though not that much since his 3PT% will go up.

But yea, his Clippers game fell far below those numbers and I expect several other outings that will cause those unsustainable numbers to fall.

He had a 61% TS last season and shot 87% from the line. He's simply getting to the line more because he's attacking more and his usage rate is higher. Yes, 96% will not be sustainable, but I don't anticipate him being any worse than 88-90% at the line. Not to mention, his career TS% is at .596.

I'm sure teams will start doubling him more, but Kawhi is a smart player. I think you're underrating some of his abilities + IQ and making it seem like he's a chucker just having a hot start.

http://deadspin.com/dallas-mavericks-revoke-credentials-of-two-espn-reporte-1788644773

Dallas Mavericks Revoke Credentials Of Two ESPN Reporters
Kevin Draper
Yesterday 11:03pmFiled to: media meltdowns
Photo credit: Brandon Wade/AP

The Dallas Mavericks revoked the season credentials of ESPN reporters Marc Stein and Tim MacMahon, according to multiple reports:

Stein has covered the NBA for 25 years, most of that time based in Dallas, first with the Dallas Morning News and for the last 14 years with ESPN, and is generally considered to be by far the most knowledgable reporter on the Mavericks. MacMahon has been covering the team for ESPN for the last seven years.

According to Richard Deitsch, they weren’t credentialed for either of the Mavericks’ last two home games:

It wasn’t immediately clear why the Mavericks revoked their credentials—none of their recent articles or tweets suggests anything out of the ordinary. Dallas Morning News columnist and ESPN Around the Horn regular Tim Cowlishaw attributes it to Mavericks owner Mark Cuban being “a moron”:

ESPN released this statement:

“We¹re committed to thoroughly covering the Mavs and the NBA.”

We’ve reached out to the other principals involved, and will update this post if they respond. Given that the NBA gave Mavs Moneyball a placeholder statement and Cuban and the team declined to comment, we aren’t holding our breath.

Update (11:10 p.m. ET): According to Tim Cato, the credentials were revoked because Tim MacMahon moved from being a Mavericks beat reporter to being a national NBA reporter this season.

While this makes some amount of sense (though is still incredible dumb, petty, and shortsighted) regarding MacMahon, Stein hasn’t covered the Mavericks as a beat in at least a decade.

Update (11:50 p.m. ET): We were reminded of an incident well-covered on this site eight years ago, when Mark Cuban banned all bloggers from the locker room, likely in retaliation for a negative story Tim MacMahon had blogged.

I'm biased but I do think this version of the Clippers are the most equipped to defeat gsw if someone is gonna do it. If their defense keeps up like this (and it has been for a full season plus the start of this one) along with Blake and DJ boarding like crazy, I can see it, somewhat. What Blake did against SAS Saturday is the Blake that could carry LAC.

CP and JJ are cold to start the season from 3, but between those 2, Mo Speights, Blake even, Raymond Felton, they've got enough depth, shooting, size, and defense to give GSW a series.

That being said, I don't think LAC or anyone has or can solve the 3 pt problem. None of your advantages really matter against gsw if 3 world class shooters are shooting 11 3s a game a piece. It's kind of a cheat code, but as long as Steph Klay and KD continue to take and make these absurd amount of 3s, they won't be beat IMO. It's hard to imagine 3 shooters the caliber of them missing enough for them to lose to anyone 4 out of 7.

I will say tho that so far it looks like they're even more dependent on their success of the 3 pt line because their lack of an inside presence in the paint really is an issue so IF they go cold (or not even go cold, just start shooting average from 3 due to random 3 point shooting variance) they could be in trouble.

The only thing that keeps me from thinking LAC can beat Golden State in a series is their pace. They have a lot of positives going right now, but in a series you have to limit a team like Golden State's possessions. They can do it through rebounding, but if you guys are pushing the pace consistently, its only giving the Warriors more times to get it right.

I mean, your two best players are capable of playing in the halfcourt. Use that to your advantage. The only other negative I see is guys like Rivers, more so Crawford and Doc possibly playing Pierce hurting you in a series. Doc must limit Crawford's minutes in a series against GSW becaue the iso ball is going to look ridiculous. I'm fine with Rivers, though. As funny as it sounds, Speights can cause the Warriors bench some issues too. :lol:

Cleveland was 28th in pace last season. 25th the season before that.

Utah is last right now and San Antonio is in the bottom 5 as well. Pace is just a big factor against a team that thrives off running and getting up shots in the fastest way possible. You're playing into their game plan if you're trying to keep up. CP3 is smart enough to know when to push the ball and when its time to slow it down. I'm just not sure if the other guards are smart enough.

Last edited:
Matt Barnes on Lance being waived
matt_barnes9

So my man Lance Stephenson busts his *** for the Pelicans, gets hurt, requires surgery & what does he get for his hard work??? WAIVED SMFH
Something fans have to understand is y'all get mad when players leave during free agency or hold out for money.. We have to do what's best for US, we have a small window to make as much money as we can.. Remember this is a BUSINESS when you can no longer serve your purpose these teams cut you trade you or bury you on the bench! Case in point, Lance gets hurt playing & needs surgery now, so instead of supporting him & helping him get healthy they cut him!

The only thing that keeps me from thinking LAC can beat Golden State in a series is their pace. They have a lot of positives going right now, but in a series you have to limit a team like Golden State's possessions. They can do it through rebounding, but if you guys are pushing the pace consistently, its only giving the Warriors more times to get it right.

I mean, your two best players are capable of playing in the halfcourt. Use that to your advantage. The only other negative I see is guys like Rivers, more so Crawford and Doc possibly playing Pierce hurting you in a series. Doc must limit Crawford's minutes in a series against GSW becaue the iso ball is going to look ridiculous. I'm fine with Rivers, though.

The Rivers / Crawford pairing is something I do not like and honestly would prefer it being broken up.

They're the reason why I'm not all in on the clippers "depth." They are both wildly inconsistent and they don't fit together at all

I love Felton though. I just don't know how much you can expect from LAC'a depth long term with both Rivers and Crawford in the rotation together. Would have much rathered LAC go with a Felton Rivers pairing but the 3 guard lineup for lac's 2nd unit has been pretty good so far so we'll see.

He had a 61% TS last season and shot 87% from the line. He's simply getting to the line more because he's attacking more and his usage rate is higher. Yes, 96% will not be sustainable, but I don't anticipate him being any worse than 88-90% at the line. Not to mention, his career TS% is at .596.

I'm sure teams will start doubling him more, but Kawhi is a smart player. I think you're underrating some of his abilities + IQ and making it seem like he's a chucker just having a hot start.
He got that TS on substantially lower usage.

And I'm fully aware of why he's getting to the line. Doesn't change the fact the FTr of 56% (at the time) and FT% of 96% are unsustainable.

Since we last had this convo, the free throw rate inevitably decreased, as has the points. I would expect both of those to continue along with the FT%.

I'm not making him seem like anything. This conversation started because you said his numbers, based off of 4 games at the time, would surpass what Durant had done for several. I said they wouldn't. As I expected, those numbers have decreased since we last spoke about it. Doesn't mean he's a chucker, just means that he was playing at an unsustainable level.

Last edited:
I'm not making him seem like anything. This conversation started because you said his numbers, based off of 4 games at the time, would surpass what Durant had done for several. I said they wouldn't. As I expected, those numbers have decreased since we last spoke about it. Doesn't mean he's a chucker, just means that he was playing at an unsustainable level.

I never said he would SURPASS Durant's offensive output :lol: Maybe someone can check me on that

My argument was that Leonard would have a KD like season due to his usage increasing and efficiency + he will end up being more elite on the defensive end compared to KD. You took that as me saying Kawhi = Jordan :lol: . I just think the gap is much closer on offense and then you give Kawhi a huge edge on the defensive end. Nothing wrong with that.

The only other reason why the argument started was because I said I would take Kawhi over KD. My reasoning was that Kawhi will/should be able to have a similar offensive output to KD, while still giving us elite defense on the other end of the floor at a younger age.

Last edited:

I never said he would SURPASS Durant's offensive output :lol: Maybe someone can check me on that

My argument was that Leonard would have a KD like season due to his usage increasing and efficiency + he will end up being more elite on the defensive end compared to KD. You took that as me saying Kawhi = Jordan :lol: . I just think the gap is much closer on offense and then you give Kawhi a huge edge on the defensive end. Nothing wrong with that.

The only other reason why the argument started was because I said I would take Kawhi over KD. My reasoning was that Kawhi will/should be able to have a similar offensive output to KD, while still giving us elite defense on the other end of the floor at a younger age.
Well yea :lol:. KD has won the scoring title 4 times in 5 years, gave you 28/8/5 on 50/40/90 & with elite advanced metrics obviously. He's one of the greatest scorers of all time, factoring in both volume AND efficiency.

If Kawhi does anything close to that with little to no defensive drop-off, that is one of the greatest individual seasons ever, if not the greatest, and is on par with, probably better, than anything Jordan did. And far better than anything Durant has done.

That's why I think it's ridiculous, because of that & you're essentially just taking what he did last season & extrapolating it over big mins + superstar usage. I don't think that's realistic.

5 games doesn't change my opinion.

Last edited:
Are we just chalking up the Spurs win over GS as a fluke? Not saying they'd blow out GS every game but crazy to see that performance and not have them mentioned as a threat to GS :lol:

I'll have to see us beat GS before I can even say we're the best equipped to do so.

On another note, this Lakers team is amazingly entertaining. Clippers/Lakers games should be entertaining again.

And what's up with Lance? Is he really on his way out the league? I saw the Pelicans said they'd be open to re-signing him but we said the same thing last season then didn't even look at him while he was available for peanuts.

Last edited:
Are we just chalking up the Spurs win over GS as a fluke? Not saying they'd blow out GS every game but crazy to see that performance and not have them mentioned as a threat to GS :lol:

I'll have to see us beat GS before I can even say we're the best equipped to do so.

On another note, this Lakers team is amazingly entertaining. Clippers/Lakers games should be entertaining again.

And what's up with Lance? Is he really on his way out the league? I saw the Pelicans said they'd be open to re-signing him but we said the same thing last season then didn't even look at him while he was available for peanuts.

They are right up there with the Cavs for me. They have the coaching, size, paint scoring options, a force on the perimeter in Kawhi and some depth. I'm just afraid of their PG situation whether its Patty or Parker defending Steph.

I honestly feel bad for Lance. I enjoyed watching him last season in Memphis and still wasn't sure why we didn't want him back at least an option to play backup PG with Baldwin in the backcourt. Sucks what happened to him, but I'll be open to bringing him back if he gets healthy soon.

His tendency to pound the ball to death is a negative, but I honestly think he needs the right fit. Memphis was that fit.

Last edited:
pelicans actually need the roster spot, right? isn't that roster depleted?
Yup only reason Lance was even playing was cuz of all the other injured guards ...they need somebody that can actually play but not just be on the roster

And all this George hill luv is cool until he has to handle the ball n make decisions under pressure situations :lol: ...dude is about as shaky as it gets with the ball when it matters

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom