OFFICIAL 2015-2016 College Football Season Thread

Harbaugh promoted Partridge to LBers coach for the bowl game so he can be out on the road recruiting. Harbaugh seems quirky but he's very much in control.
If had to guess, you'll see him promoted LB's coach, Jackson promoted to DC, and Devin Bush SR replacing Partridge's old spot on the staff. 

I saw Sam Webb mention Jerry Montgomery's name which I think would be interesting. Dude has moved up fast since he left Michigan but I'm not sure if Michigan DC is better than position coach in the NFL.

I saw Sam Webb mention Jerry Montgomery's name which I think would be interesting. Dude has moved up fast since he left Michigan but I'm not sure if Michigan DC is better than position coach in the NFL.
It would pay a lot more. 

If they are going to hire someone though who has never been a DC, I'd be much more in favor of promoting Jackson. 

@CP1708 It's clearly a life is bigger than football type of statement, sheesh.

Harbaugh moved quick on keeping Partridge. That was snare by Durkin to at least try.

@CP1708 It's clearly a life is bigger than football type of statement, sheesh.

:lol: Yeah, that statement shows that Richt genuinely cares for his players on a personal level. Other coaches might take a more business-minded approach with their kids: you help me win, I'll help you get to the next level. Richt clearly sees his relationships with these kids as more than that.

Last edited:
Richt really cares about his players man, let my boy come back to finish his degree for free 3 years after he got booted from school. 

Last edited:

About him being hired if Helton didn't beat UCLA?  That was, @DaComeUP not me. 
Yea, the Miami 247 guys posted that when talking about Richt being chosen and Miami's coaching search. 
Ah, ok.

Well, that's not true. As @Ecook0808 said Schiano had no shot. He was never going to be coach of USC.

Coaching search info if you care:
Truth be told, unless one of the three NFL guys they targeted came beating down the door for the job or Helton turned it down, no one else was going to beat him out for it either.

All the boosters wanted Helton or Pete Carroll, no in between. All the players

Haden interviewed Helton three weeks ago. Said they spoke for 4 hours. Sounds like an exaggeration but it gives you an idea of what he thought about the meeting. He then met with him again on Sunday and said his mind was made up. Haden hasn't been attending games, but randomly was at a practice with other USC boosters/admins last week leading up to UCLA (I posted about it and I think @00david00 did too) so him coming out of hiding specifically only to meet with Helton is also telling.

SC called CPC and he said "nah chill, I'm done with college. I gave you 2 titles and 3 Heismans. Be easy."

Haden and others did meet with John Harbaugh and he expressed interest but wouldn't give them an answer. His wife wanted him to take the job but he wasn't set on leaving Baltimore, or even leaving the NFL, let alone going to coach in college. If anything his people were saying he's burned out on coaching.

They also met/called Jon Gruden again (lol) and he told them he's not interested in going back to coaching full time.

Met with Sean Payton who said he was kinda interested. But also didn't want to go back to college.

Hue Jackson told them he was interested but was 100% focused on the Bengals til the end of the season and wasn't trying to interview before then. Del Rio will always be interested in the job (it's one of his dream jobs) but he's also 100% in on the Raiders and rightfully so.

Some USC people (I suspect McKay and maybe some other alums) spoke with Kelly at some point. Pat Haden never did and no interview took place. But someone reached out to him. And there was only mild interest. The takeaway is that he's also done with college. A LOT of alums and ex players and fans have been very vocal about not wanting Kelly. In the end that won out and Haden didn't even bother to ask him formally.

There's some belief that SC did try calling Urban Meyer and Nick Saban. No official word, but implications: "SC reached out to two HUGE college coaches. Two of the biggest." I'm guessing they also said 'lol no.'

They met or spoke with Herman, Fuente, Whittingham, Rhule, (poss Schiano although I didn't hear anything about that, at all) and called Miles's agent when they thought he was going to be free, but never actually interviewed anyone. If you remember the quotes coming out a couple of weeks after the job came open none of those coaches denied being contacted about the job and none of them denied being interested. I heard Whittingham's personality made a ****** impression and Herman just reminded them of Helton.

In the end the boosters felt that Helton was every bit as good a coach as Herman and the rest of the young guys and could develop to be an awesome coach. To quote someone who quoted a booster, "'a bird in the hand,' is what we realized with Helton." Also it didn't hurt that he'd been at SC for 6 years and, to use a Michigan-ism, is a "Southern California Man" and would be the adult that the program needed after Sark and Kiff. He gets the boring tradition all these old timers cling to and will keep **** in line with what they like to see. Plus the players on the team unanimously love him and they let that be the final vote.

As soon as he went on that 4 game streak and beat Utah, it was pretty much guaranteed to be Helton. Schiano was never really in consideration.

#Essays #Esés
Cliff notes:

- Nah Schiano was never in consideration

- Unless Gruden or one of the other NFL coaches came demanding the job no one else was getting it but Helton

- No one else was even interviewed.

- Prob Schiano's agent trying to make him seem desirable

Last edited:
Just like Cristobal did :nerd:
My bad, Baez followed Richt, Rocker, Lily, and TRob. 

I thought Richt ran Willie Martinez and John Jancek out of Athens? @Cardo Ln

Fans ran them out, Richt ain't firing nobody. If anything, he lets his guys overstay their welcome. Ex: If Richt got another year, Schotty was coming back after having the worst offensive output in Georgia history unless he was hired away..

CP- you ain't gon be in here disrespecting Richt, I will pull up on yo ***

no way USC was ever considering Schiano. You don't even gotta be an insider to know that wasn't going to happen.

can't see USC folks letting that happen
laugh.gif
....I'm not even a USC fan and that idea offends me

I love Butch as much as any Canes fan but it's telling he ain't even on any other schools radar. You would think if he was clean somebody like UCF would have gave him a look

I love Butch as much as any Canes fan but it's telling he ain't even on any other schools radar. You would think if he was clean somebody like UCF would have gave him a look
A school like UCF needs some young blood. They can't replace O'Leary with Davis. But yea, he was only a UM fan darling for nostalgic reasons. That infatuation definitely helped get Golden fired, though. 

@trey ohh five  I might need to borrow that Butch avy my dude 
laugh.gif

I'm worried the game might have passed Butch by, but I'm still lowkey kind of excited about the possibility of it 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom