Official 2012 San Francisco 49ers Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Let's be realistic fellas, David Akers can't carry us to a Super Bowl or even that far into the playoffs.  We need a quarterback that can score touchdowns and keep the opposing offense off the field by moving the ball and Alex Smith is NOT that guy.  He had a good/decent season for us but what are the odds of that happening again.  As a team, we OWE it to our defense to go out and keep an elite quarterback if we can.
QFT!

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Let's be realistic fellas, David Akers can't carry us to a Super Bowl or even that far into the playoffs.  We need a quarterback that can score touchdowns and keep the opposing offense off the field by moving the ball and Alex Smith is NOT that guy.  He had a good/decent season for us but what are the odds of that happening again.  As a team, we OWE it to our defense to go out and keep an elite quarterback if we can.
QFT!

Originally Posted by Hugo

yea we NEED wr's
Desean Jackson
Vincent Jackson

Mario Manningham

Marquis Colston

Stevie Johnson

Pierre Garcon

Randy Moss

Dwayne Bowe

Are any of these guys realistic/good options for the Niners?

Originally Posted by Hugo

yea we NEED wr's
Desean Jackson
Vincent Jackson

Mario Manningham

Marquis Colston

Stevie Johnson

Pierre Garcon

Randy Moss

Dwayne Bowe

Are any of these guys realistic/good options for the Niners?

Jason Lacanfora of NFL Network says that Alex is going to get a 6 year contract worth $60M.

1v2.gif

Jason Lacanfora of NFL Network says that Alex is going to get a 6 year contract worth $60M.

1v2.gif

Holy F if that's the case....

my heart just dropped

CAN'T. BE. SERIOUS

its ALEX SMITH!! 6 more years?!?!?!?

If not manning, they why not at least go after matt flynn?

as much as i appreciate you, if you're behind this, CURSE YOU jim harbaugh

Holy F if that's the case....

my heart just dropped

CAN'T. BE. SERIOUS

its ALEX SMITH!! 6 more years?!?!?!?

If not manning, they why not at least go after matt flynn?

as much as i appreciate you, if you're behind this, CURSE YOU jim harbaugh

Originally Posted by Andrew630

Kolb and Fitzpatrick got a similar deal. Neither got into the playoffs.

Kob and Fitzpatrick didnt play with the best defense in the league, a historically good special teams, and a pro bowl running back. 

And just because those two got terrible deals, doesnt mean they should be the model for us to follow.

Originally Posted by Andrew630

Kolb and Fitzpatrick got a similar deal. Neither got into the playoffs.

Kob and Fitzpatrick didnt play with the best defense in the league, a historically good special teams, and a pro bowl running back. 

And just because those two got terrible deals, doesnt mean they should be the model for us to follow.

If Steelers let Mike Wallace go, Patriots, 49ers could be good fits
By Matt Brooks

Could Mike Wallace soon be on the receiving end of deep bombs from Tom Brady? (Joe Robbins - Getty Images) Over the last two seasons, Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace has emerged as one of the top big-play threats in the league. But coming off a second-straight 1,100-yard season and his first Pro Bowl selection, Wallace may be on his way out of the Steel City.

The 25-year-old speedster is scheduled to become a free agent on March 3, and with facing serious salary-cap challenges ahead of them, the Steelers simply may not be able to afford him.

Wallace acknowledged that fact in an interview with SiriusXM Radio on Wednesday.

“[Pittsburgh is] where I would like to be, but we all know that it is a business and you have certain things you have to handle," Wallace told Sirius NFL Radio, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "So if I have to go elsewhere, you know Pittsburgh will always be in my heart, but I have to do what I have to do."

The Steelers could use the franchise tag on Wallace in order to keep him under contract for another season, but that would result in a hefty $9.6 million salary cap hit that would further hamstring the team for the 2012 season.

With 2011 team MVP Antonio Brown set to become a restricted free agent after next season, Pittsburgh could find it difficult to justify two major investments in receivers with similar skillsets. Emmanuel Sanders is also up for free agency in 2013.

If Wallace hits the market, there will no doubt be plenty of teams vying for the services of a player who averaged nearly 19 yards per reception in his first three seasons. The New England Patriots and San Francisco 49ers are two of a number of championship contenders who could use another vertical threat.

“Most definitely. Those are two playoff caliber teams. Super Bowl caliber teams,

If Steelers let Mike Wallace go, Patriots, 49ers could be good fits
By Matt Brooks

Could Mike Wallace soon be on the receiving end of deep bombs from Tom Brady? (Joe Robbins - Getty Images) Over the last two seasons, Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace has emerged as one of the top big-play threats in the league. But coming off a second-straight 1,100-yard season and his first Pro Bowl selection, Wallace may be on his way out of the Steel City.

The 25-year-old speedster is scheduled to become a free agent on March 3, and with facing serious salary-cap challenges ahead of them, the Steelers simply may not be able to afford him.

Wallace acknowledged that fact in an interview with SiriusXM Radio on Wednesday.

“[Pittsburgh is] where I would like to be, but we all know that it is a business and you have certain things you have to handle," Wallace told Sirius NFL Radio, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "So if I have to go elsewhere, you know Pittsburgh will always be in my heart, but I have to do what I have to do."

The Steelers could use the franchise tag on Wallace in order to keep him under contract for another season, but that would result in a hefty $9.6 million salary cap hit that would further hamstring the team for the 2012 season.

With 2011 team MVP Antonio Brown set to become a restricted free agent after next season, Pittsburgh could find it difficult to justify two major investments in receivers with similar skillsets. Emmanuel Sanders is also up for free agency in 2013.

If Wallace hits the market, there will no doubt be plenty of teams vying for the services of a player who averaged nearly 19 yards per reception in his first three seasons. The New England Patriots and San Francisco 49ers are two of a number of championship contenders who could use another vertical threat.

“Most definitely. Those are two playoff caliber teams. Super Bowl caliber teams,

Back
Top Bottom