Official 2010 San Francisco Giants Season Thread (92-70) NL West Division Champions!

Some of yall are just teenagers or just dont know, but its funny how Barry Bonds and a new stadium make giants fans forget

Originally Posted by ady2glude707

Some of yall are just teenagers or just dont know, but its funny how Barry Bonds and a new stadium make giants fans forget

First of all, I am probably older than you...so save the condescending tone.  The crowds at Candlestick were not nearly as big as they are now....I will give you that.  But there has NEVER been a point in time where the Giants fans have been as bad as the A's fans are now.  NEVER.
Got a few questions for you.....

Has there ever been a time where the Fresno Grizzlies drew more fans than the SF Giants did?  Nope....but guess what....that happened with the Rivercats and the A's one day in April.  

Have you ever been able to show up to a Giants playoff game minutes before the game started and buy tickets from the ticket office and sit in the lower level?  Nope....but you can at A's playoff games. 

Has there ever been a time when the Giants were in first place and were playing a first place team, and less than 12,000 people showed up to watch them play?  Not that I can recall.....but it happened in Oakland a couple weeks ago. 

Has there ever been a time where the owner (ownership group) of the Giants publically called out the fans for not coming to support the team?  Not that I can remember.....but Lew Wolff did just that, less than a week ago. 

See what I am getting at here champ?  Even when the Giants were at Candlestick and sucked, and the Dodgers were in town, we would ALWAYS have 50,000+ fans at every single game of that series.  When the amazing Braves teams of the 90s came into town, it was the exact same way.  When the defending World Series Champs made there way to the Net a couple weeks ago, you had less than 60,000 people attending the ENTIRE SERIES. And you know damn well that a good portion of that crowd were NOT A's fans.  

Bottom line is regardless of your "horrible stadium" or "small market team," the A's players deserve to play in a place where they will be supported and Billy Beane deserves the opportunity to actually try to build a winning franchise.  Move the team to Omaha, Nebraska or something.  At least there, the players will get to feel what it is like to play for passionate baseball fans.

/rant

pimp.gif
well said

Originally Posted by MzD650

First of all, I am probably older than you...so save the condescending tone.  The crowds at Candlestick were not nearly as big as they are now....I will give you that.  But there has NEVER been a point in time where the Giants fans have been as bad as the A's fans are now.  NEVER.

Has there ever been a time where the Fresno Grizzlies drew more fans than the SF Giants did?  Nope....but guess what....that happened with the Rivercats and the A's one day in April.  

Have you ever been able to show up to a Giants playoff game minutes before the game started and buy tickets from the ticket office and sit in the lower level?  Nope....but you can at A's playoff games. 

Has there ever been a time when the Giants were in first place and were playing a first place team, and less than 12,000 people showed up to watch them play?  Not that I can recall.....but it happened in Oakland a couple weeks ago. 

Has there ever been a time where the owner (ownership group) of the Giants publically called out the fans for not coming to support the team?  Not that I can remember.....but Lew Wolff did just that, less than a week ago. 

See what I am getting at here champ?  Even when the Giants were at Candlestick and sucked, and the Dodgers were in town, we would ALWAYS have 50,000+ fans at every single game of that series.  When the amazing Braves teams of the 90s came into town, it was the exact same way.  When the defending World Series Champs made there way to the Net a couple weeks ago, you had less than 60,000 people attending the ENTIRE SERIES. And you know damn well that a good portion of that crowd were NOT A's fans.  

Bottom line is regardless of your "horrible stadium" or "small market team," the A's players deserve to play in a place where they will be supported and Billy Beane deserves the opportunity to actually try to build a winning franchise.  Move the team to Omaha, Nebraska or something.  At least there, the players will get to feel what it is like to play for passionate baseball fans.

/rant
LOL First off, save the condescending tone? Dont get all defensive, but I dont know where you get that from my one sentence, but if anything ive read in the past few pages and in the Braden thead it was you and a couple other giants fans that had condescending tones towards A's fans, okay "champ"?

NEVER been a point in time where giants fans as bad as A's fans?  Check the attendance of games in the 80's to that of the A's.  Then check how the numbers jump in the 90's and 00's after SF gets Bonds then a new stadium.  Theres a correlation here dont you think?  Im pretty sure a bunch of these A's "fans" converted to Giants "fans" because of the success, star power of Bonds/his homeruns and fascination of the new ballpark with that of the mediocrity of the A's in the mid to late 90s.  Face it, a lot of these people looked at it as the cool thing to do or go to, and the giants have won fans/support around the bay area as a whole.  Remember all those kids and teenage girls who hopped onto the wagon when bonds was doing his thing, how about all the business people on their smart phones during the games?  Kinda reminds me of all those bandwagon "fans" (although not as bad) the warriors had in the arena in the 2nd round of the playoffs and in the 08-09 season.  Until the giants start playing horribly, have a mediocre lineup, have the stadium lose its luster, and until the A's get their stadium, can re/sign players along with success, you wont see that in attendance with the A's.  And since the giants have captured the bay area as followers, the A's only have their diehards and people from Oak/Eastbay as their followers, and that is not the demographic you want to capture or will have success with.  Face it Oakland and its surrounding areas suck. 

Also relates to what I posted above.  I think the time this happened was in the 06-07, when the majority of the fanbase already shifted to across the bay.  Really, this team had no star power besides zito and an old frank thomas, they lacked an identity, and their face of the franchise was less popular to the giants.  Trading/unable to sign players long term hurt the A's franchise this way.  The A's havent had a team that fans can associate faces and names with since the Big 3, Giambi, Tejada era, but even then the spotlight had already shifted the Giants way, drawing fans into the park.  And what do you know, during that time the A's again started drawing modest attendance figures in a outdated football stadium because of their success/emerging star power.  Can I bring up how that stadium is crap by the way?  After going to AT&T it set my standard of how a park should feel and how the environment is dope.  You dont get that at the Colesium.  Hell, my lady asked if we could go to a baseball game a couple weeks back and my *+! definitely not gonna take her to the coliseum, the environment and sights at AT&T are just the best the bay offers
Theyve shouldve drawn more fans yes because the yanks were in town, but lets not act like the A's were in first place/last week of the season, have players A's fans want to watch, began the season with a strong fanbase. 

Closest I can think of is when SF as a whole didnt want to fund the stadium, other than that no I cant think of any.  Wolff shouldnt have done that.  I could care less of the guy though, all I want is a new stadium, for the A's to win and for them to sign/resign players.

As far as rivals, Giants Dodgers is one of the biggest, most historic and fiercest (fans) rivalries in baseball, and its up there with NY BOS,  CHC STL etc.  When you think of the A's rivals who are they?  Giants? Angels? Mariners?  Braves coming into town and still drawing numbers?  Chalk that in with Bonds and at least still being able to compete and contend in the division/league.

Thing is I dont even hate the giants.  Im a fan of both teams but I follow the A's more because I grew up watching Henderson/Parker/Canseco/McGuire and I thought the giants line up was not exciting even when they had clark, mitchell etc.  Greenwald didnt help either when watching giants games on tv
laugh.gif
.  Its just funny and stupid that some giants fans talk down on A's fans after bonds, baseball success, and the stadium and have nothing to show for it in the end.  Not trying to turn this into a debate with all the question and answers in these past couple posts especially in the giants season thread, but I just had to chime in and give my 2 cents.  If you want to continue we can take it to the MLB season thread, if not thats okay with me too. 

Originally Posted by MzD650

/rant
LOL First off, save the condescending tone? Dont get all defensive, but I dont know where you get that from my one sentence, but if anything ive read in the past few pages and in the Braden thead it was you and a couple other giants fans that had condescending tones towards A's fans, okay "champ"?

NEVER been a point in time where giants fans as bad as A's fans?  Check the attendance of games in the 80's to that of the A's.  Then check how the numbers jump in the 90's and 00's after SF gets Bonds then a new stadium.  Theres a correlation here dont you think?  Im pretty sure a bunch of these A's "fans" converted to Giants "fans" because of the success, star power of Bonds/his homeruns and fascination of the new ballpark with that of the mediocrity of the A's in the mid to late 90s.  Face it, a lot of these people looked at it as the cool thing to do or go to, and the giants have won fans/support around the bay area as a whole.  Remember all those kids and teenage girls who hopped onto the wagon when bonds was doing his thing, how about all the business people on their smart phones during the games?  Kinda reminds me of all those bandwagon "fans" (although not as bad) the warriors had in the arena in the 2nd round of the playoffs and in the 08-09 season.  Until the giants start playing horribly, have a mediocre lineup, have the stadium lose its luster, and until the A's get their stadium, can re/sign players along with success, you wont see that in attendance with the A's.  And since the giants have captured the bay area as followers, the A's only have their diehards and people from Oak/Eastbay as their followers, and that is not the demographic you want to capture or will have success with.  Face it Oakland and its surrounding areas suck. 

Also relates to what I posted above.  I think the time this happened was in the 06-07, when the majority of the fanbase already shifted to across the bay.  Really, this team had no star power besides zito and an old frank thomas, they lacked an identity, and their face of the franchise was less popular to the giants.  Trading/unable to sign players long term hurt the A's franchise this way.  The A's havent had a team that fans can associate faces and names with since the Big 3, Giambi, Tejada era, but even then the spotlight had already shifted the Giants way, drawing fans into the park.  And what do you know, during that time the A's again started drawing modest attendance figures in a outdated football stadium because of their success/emerging star power.  Can I bring up how that stadium is crap by the way?  After going to AT&T it set my standard of how a park should feel and how the environment is dope.  You dont get that at the Colesium.  Hell, my lady asked if we could go to a baseball game a couple weeks back and my *+! definitely not gonna take her to the coliseum, the environment and sights at AT&T are just the best the bay offers
Theyve shouldve drawn more fans yes because the yanks were in town, but lets not act like the A's were in first place/last week of the season, have players A's fans want to watch, began the season with a strong fanbase. 

Closest I can think of is when SF as a whole didnt want to fund the stadium, other than that no I cant think of any.  Wolff shouldnt have done that.  I could care less of the guy though, all I want is a new stadium, for the A's to win and for them to sign/resign players.

As far as rivals, Giants Dodgers is one of the biggest, most historic and fiercest (fans) rivalries in baseball, and its up there with NY BOS,  CHC STL etc.  When you think of the A's rivals who are they?  Giants? Angels? Mariners?  Braves coming into town and still drawing numbers?  Chalk that in with Bonds and at least still being able to compete and contend in the division/league.

Thing is I dont even hate the giants.  Im a fan of both teams but I follow the A's more because I grew up watching Henderson/Parker/Canseco/McGuire and I thought the giants line up was not exciting even when they had clark, mitchell etc.  Greenwald didnt help either when watching giants games on tv
laugh.gif
.  Its just funny and stupid that some giants fans talk down on A's fans after bonds, baseball success, and the stadium and have nothing to show for it in the end.  Not trying to turn this into a debate with all the question and answers in these past couple posts especially in the giants season thread, but I just had to chime in and give my 2 cents.  If you want to continue we can take it to the MLB season thread, if not thats okay with me too. 

How long did it take you to type this? 
laugh.gif

3500 words and the premise is that the Giants had Barry Bonds. You're paying Sheets and Chavez a combined $22 million. Give people a reason to come to the games. $1 hotdogs aren't cutting it.

Y'all just made me bust out my old college essay I did a few years back about the giants
roll.gif

Ady hit a point when he said that oakland is surrounded by poor areas. The giants fan base is a reflection of the direction this city, as a whole, has headed towards the last 2 decades. Historically, SF has been a working class city, from the days of the Seals, and this was true during the 80s and early 90s. With the dot com boom, a decent population that consisted of the city's working class was forced out of this city to make way for the 20/30 somethings buying up property, and raising rent in areas like the Mission District. This shift towards a middle class city is only further reflected in the amount of residents with BAs/MAs. By no means is this a working class city anymore.

You open a brand new, state of the art stadium very close to downtown (and further away from the parts of HP that scare folk away), raise ticket prices, etc, and of course you will see a influx of "new" giants fans who want to be part of this new experience. I used to go to so much giants game at the stick that it felt like a large family gathering . You would see the SAME folks enjoying games, cussing at opposing players, and just causing hell and trust me, none of those folks were middle class. These were folks from HP, Vis Valley, the Mission, working class areas. I dont really care for the A's as a whole, but to say they are pathetic because they dont pack the stadium is shortsighted at best, and void of any true analysis about the economic disparities that exist in SF and Oakland today. And trust me, there were plenty of games at the stick with under 10k fans, worse during night games (with that god awful cold wind
indifferent.gif
).

I will give A's fan their props though. They actually arent afraid to make some @!%*%@@ noise when their at games. Giants fan acting like their at the library sometimes
mad.gif

Let's just dead this nonsense right now. This is a Giants thread and I don't feel like reading this @%%# anymore because it's been discussed at ad nauseum.

Regardless of how big the crowds were at Candlestick and the current situation at AT&T, Giants fans for the most part mind their own business. Giants fans seldom make snide comments towards the franchise across the Bay because it's an unfortunate situation over there. And this usually starts when an A's fan runs in here offering his opinions when his team is the one in trouble.

[table][tr][th="col"]W. LeBlanc SD
8353.jpg
[/th] [td]vs.[/td] [th="col"]B. Zito SF
6394.jpg
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2-0[/td] [th="row"]Record[/th] [td]5-0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1.16[/td] [th="row"]ERA[/th] [td]1.49[/td] [/tr][tr][td]20[/td] [th="row"]K[/th] [td]28[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6[/td] [th="row"]BB[/th] [td]12[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1.33[/td] [th="row"]WHIP[/th] [td]0.92[/td][/tr][/table]

Big series, need redemption for laying an egg down in their park.

Speaking of SD, did anyone hear about Correia's brother? RIP.

Looks like De Rosa is going to need another surgery...would have never thought this could have happened.
I mean, it's not like they signed another aging vet who needed another surgery during the off season *coughfragilefreddycough*

So again, which one of you geniuses applauded this signing?

Back
Top Bottom