Official 2010 San Francisco Giants Season Thread (92-70) NL West Division Champions!

Originally Posted by chris82790

any info on this chris ray guy?

• Height: 6-3
  • Weight: 210
  • Bats: R
  • Throws: R
  • Born: Jan 12, 1982 - Tampa, FL
  • College: William & Mary
  • Draft: 2003 - 3rd round by the Baltimore Orioles
  • W-L 2-0
  • ERA 3.41
  • K 16
  • Walks 16
  • Saves 1

He used to close a little. Im glad we got him. I originally heard it was for a PTBNL, which usually turns out to be a player who gets cut. Ray could be useful.

Glad Bengie is gone. Next? Any or all of Aaron Rowand, Edgar Renteria, Brian Sabean and Bruce Bochy please.

So happy Bengie's gone.
r2iwko.gif
r2iwko.gif
r2iwko.gif

[table][tr][th="col"]M. Bumgarner SF
blank_player2.gif
[/th] [td]vs.[/td] [th="col"]A. Cook Col
6981.jpg
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]0-1[/td] [th="row"]Record[/th] [td]2-5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5.14[/td] [th="row"]ERA[/th] [td]4.69[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [th="row"]K[/th] [td]39[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1[/td] [th="row"]BB[/th] [td]38[/td] [/tr][tr][td]0.86[/td] [th="row"]WHIP[/th] [td]1.46[/td][/tr][/table]
[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/bengie-molina-trade-reactions.html[/h1]
[h1]Bengie Molina Trade Reactions[/h1]
By Luke Adams [July 1 at 11:32am CST]

As opposed to the Russell Branyan trade, which saw two non-contending teams work out a deal, last night's Bengie Molina-Chris Ray swap was pulled off by two clubs with playoff aspirations. Let's check out some early reactions to the move....
  • According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, the trade is more of a gamble for the Giants than the Rangers, though clearing room behind the plate for Buster Posey should make up for that.
  • Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News says that the Rangers' new catching tandem of Molina and Matt Treanor "sounds just awful" on the surface, but that it might just work.
  • ESPN.com's Rob Neyer wonders exactly how much Molina will upgrade Texas' backstop production.
  • After speaking to a source in the Giants' clubhouse, Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas is optimistic about the Rangers' end of the deal, adding that Molina should only improve an already good clubhouse.
  • Fangraphs' Jack Moore is less positive, calling the trade a "headscratcher" for the Rangers.
  • El Lefty Malo is unsure whether there's even a spot for Chris Ray in the Giants' bullpen, but is happy that Posey is now an everyday player.
  • Establishing Posey as the number one catcher should have a "positive ripple effect" for the Giants, writes MLB.com's Chris Haft.

[h2]Bengie Molina reacts to trade, reflects on Giants tenure, offers advice to Buster Posey[/h2]
Posted by Andrew Baggarly on July 1st, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Categorized as Uncategorized

I just got off the phone with Bengie Molina, who is catching a flight to Dallas later today where he’ll officially become a Texas Ranger when the club begins its homestand tomorrow.

We’ve got a conference call with Giants GM Brian Sabean in 20 minutes, so in the interests of expediency, I’ll slap up the interview Q&A style.

One other note: Baseball America is reporting that RHP Michael Main will be the player to be named later in the deal. Main was a first-rounder in 2007 but had a rough season in the Single-A Cal League in 2009 and is repeating the level this year.

The bullet points from the Molina interview: He is sad to be leaving the Giants and his adopted home of San Francisco, he is shocked at the timing of the deal and he can’t help but feel sore at being traded. But he’s also happy to be wanted by the Rangers and said he’ll try to get his head right as he moves from a fourth-place team to a first-place one. He also thinks Buster Posey is ready and will do just fine.

Q: What is your reaction to the trade?
A: It’s a sad day for me and my family because we love the city so much. It’s sad to say goodbye to my teammates. I live and die for them. I left it all on the field for them every single night. The past month, I’ve been dealing with a hurt (left) elbow but I was still there for them. I wasn’t trying to miss any games. I was trying to catch as best as I could. I’ll miss all of them. A lot of times I have to be a guy that sits down with them and gives them a pep talk, not only for baseball but life itself. Sometimes I felt I was their brother and sometimes I felt like their dad. I’m very sad to be leaving.

But at the same time, you have to see it like the GM and owner probably see it: that they want me out of there. That’s another thing you gotta have in your head. I’m very happy Texas wants me and appreciates what I’ve done that they traded for me. It’s a new chapter.

I’m going to do what I did for the Giants, what I did for Anaheim and Toronto. And that’s play my heart out and give my 150 percent to win every single night.

They’re very good people, a very good group, I wish them all the best, seriously, I do, but right now it gets in your head when you give so much and all the sudden you were traded. I’m going to try to get my head ready for what’s next.

Q: Were you expecting something like this to happen?
A: It actually comes as a shock. I wasn’t expected to be traded this early. Not only that, but the pitching was doing so well with me. I didn’t think they’d consider a trade. Not yet.

It got me by surprise, it really did. They love Buster and they want him to catch. When I signed, I had that in back of my head. So that part is not a surprise. But maybe the timing is.

You know me, my life has always been uphill.

Q: What did Giants officials tell you? What was their rationale for the trade?
A: They didn’t say much. They said they needed a reliever and I didn’t understand that part very well. He said they needed a reliever so that was the main reason and they wanted to get me to a winning team.

Then I heard from other people the Rangers were the heavy suitors and came up strong, and the Giants couldn’t pass that up. For me, I don’t understand it. Because the key is the catcher. He controls the team and the pitching, especially young teams, that has to be the key. And I know I was appreciated, but when you’re traded you don’t feel that way. I don’t think they realize how much. But I think it’s part of the game.

Q: Do you believe Posey is ready to catch this staff?
A: Buster and I are very good friends. I don’t care what people think or say. I love that kid. We’re good friends, his wife and my wife too, they are friends. We are good people.

He’s going to have to talk a lot, watch a lot of video and he’ll be ready. He’s a great player, a great guy, a very open-minded guy, and he’s going to do all right for this team. I think this is his time to get these guys ready to go, and you never know. Maybe he will be the key. Maybe I was the wrong answer for them. He is very humble and that’s going to help a lot.

Q: You’re the only catcher that Tim Lincecum really knows. What’s your advice to Posey, or any catcher, on working with Lincecum?
A: The key here will be on Lincecum from the beginning. He’s going to have to take over till Buster gets used to him. I had to get used to it, too. Timmy will have to be the driver. He’ll have to show Buster what he can and cannot do, and by the third or fourth outing he’ll have a better idea of how he pitches and what he likes to do. It might be sooner, but I think he’ll get along good. This kid is going to have a great career.

Sig check
smokin.gif

I've been reading up on the PTBNL who is now Michael Main...he was a 1st rounder and highly coveted by the Rangers.  He sounds like a really good prospect.  I know its weird to say but I think Sabean pulled off a W in this trade.

^i hope so, i know ray used to close for the orioles a few years back, so he's got to have decent stuff.... and now molina is one less player we have to worry about hitting into dps and clogging up the basepaths. i just hope the pitching staff doesnt go through too much of an adjustment period when posey takes over full time.

^most likely because he has good numbers against cook

but i still would not have taken sanchez out for renteria good numbers or not

[table][tr][th="col"]T. Lincecum SF
7981.jpg
[/th] [td]vs.[/td] [th="col"]J. Chacin Col
blank_player2.gif
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]8-3[/td] [th="row"]Record[/th] [td]4-7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3.13[/td] [th="row"]ERA[/th] [td]3.51[/td] [/tr][tr][td]117[/td] [th="row"]K[/th] [td]71[/td] [/tr][tr][td]42[/td] [th="row"]BB[/th] [td]32[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1.25[/td] [th="row"]WHIP[/th] [td]1.30[/td][/tr][/table]
CF Torres
2B Sanchez
RF Huff
LF Burrell
3B Sandoval
SS Uribe
1B Posey
C Whiteside
P Lincecum

im going to milwaukee next week and i already have tickets for two of the games. trying to get some seats for the other two games right by the giants dugout depending on what's available and how much. if i do indeed get tickets by the dugout, i want to bring a sign but cant think of anything clever. any suggestions?

Originally Posted by thecity

im going to milwaukee next week and i already have tickets for two of the games. trying to get some seats for the other two games right by the giants dugout depending on what's available and how much. if i do indeed get tickets by the dugout, i want to bring a sign but cant think of anything clever. any suggestions?
FIRE SABEAN
FIRE BOCHY

your choice

[table][tr][th="col"]B. Zito SF
6394.jpg
[/th] [td]vs.[/td] [th="col"]U. Jiménez Col
7900.jpg
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]7-4[/td] [th="row"]Record[/th] [td]14-1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3.43[/td] [th="row"]ERA[/th] [td]1.83[/td] [/tr][tr][td]73[/td] [th="row"]K[/th] [td]102[/td] [/tr][tr][td]39[/td] [th="row"]BB[/th] [td]40[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1.23[/td] [th="row"]WHIP[/th] [td]1.05[/td][/tr][/table]
Bengie Molina didn't find out he was traded to the Rangers until his teammates told him, according to Henry Schulman of The San Francisco Chronicle.

Andrew Baggarly of The San Jose Mercury News spoke to Barry Zito, who indicated that the team's rift with Prince Fielder following last year's elaborate walk-off homerun celebration wouldn't be an issue if they acquired the slugger. Olney tweets that there has been no recent discussion between the two teams about Fielder.

I don't think Sabean is the greatest, but personally think he's better than Bochy...Bochy's lineups day in and day out leave me puzzled.

Back
Top Bottom