Official 2010 San Francisco Giants Season Thread (92-70) NL West Division Champions!

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

Did I mention I hate Casilla? Bum.
I know that's a heat of the moment comment, but he's doing so much better now than he did at the end of last season it's incredible for my fantasy team
smokin.gif
but  terrible  for  oak
No, no it wasn't a heat of the moment comment. I seriously hate the dude. He can't throw strikes. I hate his delivery. He takes forever to throw the damn ball. *gets ball back from catcher, slowly takes hat off and rubs ball, proceeds to get on the mound and throw another ball.*

Originally Posted by dland24

I honestly think that he is hiding an injury. He doesnt look right.
Agreed.  His velocity has been down all season, he has struggled with his command since that game against the Astros in May...I wouldn't mind putting him on the DL for now as long it means he gets healthy again.

[table][tr][th="col"]J. Ely LAD
blank_player2.gif
[/th] [td]vs.[/td] [th="col"]M. Cain SF
7495.jpg
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]3-5[/td] [th="row"]Record[/th] [td]6-6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3.86[/td] [th="row"]ERA[/th] [td]2.72[/td] [/tr][tr][td]50[/td] [th="row"]K[/th] [td]70[/td] [/tr][tr][td]18[/td] [th="row"]BB[/th] [td]32[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1.17[/td] [th="row"]WHIP[/th] [td]1.10[/td][/tr][/table]
[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/06/royals-remain-flexible-as-deadline-nears.html[/h1]
[h1]Giants, Red Sox Among Teams Eyeing Royals[/h1]
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [June 28 at 9:37pm CST]

The Giants and Red Sox are among the teams eyeing Royals players, according to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star. Royals GM Dayton Moore is willing to listen to offers, but anticipating the return for the likes of David DeJesus and Jose Guillen is difficult, even for those in the team’s front office.

Dutton reports that the Giants have interest in Guillen on the condition that the Royals absorb most of the $6.3MM or so remaining on his contract. Earlier today, ESPN.com’s Buster Olney reported that the Royals are looking to move Guillen and are willing to pick up most of his salary in a trade, but Moore insists that the Royals are not actively looking to trade. Two rival scouts told Dutton that the Royals say they will take on a considerable amount of Guillen’s salary, so it doesn’t appear that Guillen would be tough to obtain.

If the Royals decide to start selling aggressively, they could discuss Mike Aviles and Willie Bloomquist with the Red Sox, who see the infielders as candidates to fill in while Dustin Pedroia's fractured left foot heals. The Red Sox are considering infielders and had some interest in Adam Everett before Pedroia's injury. One scout said Kyle Farnsworth could appeal to teams as a reliever if the Royals decide to part with him.

The first sentence in the second paragraph speaks so many volumes about the Giants.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Solid win by the boys in blue.  Needed that after last night's debacle *facepalm*

I usually don't like to partake in other team's discussion threads, but I thought I would help.

I asked about that too. No one seemed to know if Rowand's contract prevented him from being sent down.
After a player accumulates over six years of service time, all their options expire.  The only way a veteran could be sent down is through a stint on the DL ("rehab") or by designating him for assignment.  They could probably DFA Rowand, but they are risking another team (Phillies
nerd.gif
) claiming him. 

Once you DFA a veteran player you have 10 days to work out a trade with another team.  If a player goes unclaimed, most players have a clause in their contract which allows them to refuse the assignment, therefore making him a free agent.  It still leaves the team on the hook for the remainder of the contract and the player is free to sign with any other team.

Usually teams don't DFA a player with more than one year on their bad contract, they try to find a trade partner (think: Juan Pierre or Gary Mathews).  If it's a bad contract and the player is worthless to the team and is in the final year of their contract, they usually get DFA'd (Think: Pat Burrell, Garret Atkins).  However, if a player is a complete abomination and doesn't belong in MLB, plus another team is picking up the majority of the tab he will get DFA'd anyway (Think: Gary Mathews getting DFA'd by the Mets)

Designating a Veteran player for Assignment is very embarrasing to a player.  It's usually telling them they are on their last legs.  However, designating a player for assignment with a huge contract and more than one year on it (Aaron Rowand) is usually very embarrasing for the player and the organization.  The Giants at this point will have to eat a lot of money, so it makes more sense to hold on to Rowand and try to get something for him (Possible bad contract swap, think: Carlos Silva for Milton Bradley).  GM's and Team Presidents/Owners have big ego's, sometimes bigger ego's than players themselves, waiving a bad player on a bad contract is admitting a mistake.  They don't like admitting mistakes.

Thanks, I didn't know the specifics, but I did know somehow it related to years of service, etc.

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

So how many corner outfielders are the Giants going to get? What's next? Putting Huff in CF?

thats the only problem i see, we would have way too many. I say Burell plays cause he's doing well. Huff has to play some where, he's our best hitter along with Uribe. Torres might be the odd one out. Rowand should just die.

Originally Posted by chris82790

game over and cain will go to 0-8 vs the dodgers
sick.gif
Damn didn't know his record was so horrible.

And right on cue when I wanted to complain about Renteria playing so much he hits into a DP.

Back
Top Bottom