Official 2010-2011 San Jose Sharks Playoff Thread vs Vancouver Canucks; Vancouver Advances

Originally Posted by dland24

The thing is, Lee actually is good for what he is. He does a few things exceptionally well, and obviously he is horrendous at a few things. Biedrins on the other hand is just flat out garbage. Id rather have 3 years of an awful contract than 5 years of one. Especially if that 5 year guy would be able to yield a better player in return. We'd be lucky to get a couple of Spaldings for Andris.
I doubt the Warriors could get much of anything for Lee too though. Nobody is taking on Lee for 14 mill over the next 5 years with the new CBA rules.

To add to the list of things we all hate about Biedrins, I hate how he doesn't secure the ball on rebounds, both on offense and defense, sometimes he just softly taps it and hopes a teammate gets it. Get both your hands in the air and grab that %++#...
30t6p3b.gif

Franchise - ya Amnesty was brought up by a SI writer I believe

4. Amnesty?

The Cavaliers claimed they were interested in Baron Davis as a talent, in addition to the first-round pick that accompanied him in the trade that sent Mo Williams to the Clippers. But does his arrival also signal the likelihood of an amnesty clause in the next collective bargaining agreement?

Davis was thought to be untradable because he has two full years remaining at a total of $28.7 million. With the owners seeking a hard salary cap next season, there is talk of each team's being provided "amnesty" to dump one or more players: They would be paid their salaries, but their money would vanish from the team's cap commitment. Cleveland's Dan Gilbert is one of the more influential owners in the current CBA negotiations, and he is ambitious enough to be willing to someday dump Davis' salary in exchange for a pick that could hasten his team's rebuilding.

• With another GM. On concerns about the new CBA affecting this year's trading season: "Last week everybody was talking about upcoming labor issues? Didn't we all know about this in July, when all of those contracts were being handed out? I don't see how you hand out a big four- or five-year deal in July and now all of a sudden you're worried about labor issues."

It turns out he was right: The anticipation of a lockout and a new CBA didn't have a chilling effect on trades at the deadline.

4299.jpg
Jeremy Lin, Warriors -- Feb. 28: He's still not showing an NBA offensive game, but even in the few minutes he gets each game, he's making defensive plays that scream "NBA player." He is quick and tough on defense and has a nose for the ball. He has stolen the ball at least twice in six NBA games despite playing less than a half in each of those games, less than a quarter in some of them.

pimp.gif

Edit- omgz he got his diploma.
laugh.gif

x2_4d90afa

first CJ Watson and now Thornton
30t6p3b.gif

Good pick-up. Need help off the bench, no risk involved and we're not going anywhere anyway.

[h3]Monta 'Not Going To Demand Something'[/h3]
Mar 03, 2011 11:52 PM EST

Ellis_Monta_gsw_110226.jpg

With new ownership in place, Monta Ellis is on good terms with the Golden State front office. Ellis was fined $3 million by the Warriors and suspended for 30 games after he tore an ankle ligament in an offseason motorbike accident.

"I'm not going to demand something," he says. "As long as I'm under contract with Golden State, I'm going to be here."

The Warriors are currently 27-33, but frequently are outplayed by teams with big frontcourts.

"We got the talent," says Ellis. "When we have the heart to go out there and compete every night, we'll be all right.

"We're considered one of the softest teams in the NBA. Even teams softer than us come in and try to bully us. Some guys let it be. Until you get the heart of that dog in you, you won't win."

Via USA Today

This is the full article of that link; it's a nice read
pimp.gif

WASHINGTON, D.C. — In a blur, much as when Monta Ellis slashes to the basket for the Golden State Warriors, came a welcome change.

Ellis, who had played 47 minutes in a game, was excused from practice the next day with a sore knee, but he couldn't let his teammates suffer without him.

"We were turning the ball over in the scrimmage, so I had everybody run," says first-year Warriors coach Keith Smart, who was an assistant in Ellis' first five seasons. "He got on the floor and ran with the rest of the players. He didn't have to do that. That showed some leadership."

How Ellis, 25, has grown, from a player who feuded with previous Warriors management and backcourt mate Stephen Curry. In his sixth season, the NBA's seventh-leading scorer (24.6 points a game) has transformed from temperamental to level-headed.

Ellis got married over the summer to a police officer he met in Memphis, and they have a son, Monta Jr., who is almost 2. A daughter is due in May.
Would the younger Ellis, a 2005 second-round draft pick out of Lanier High School in Jackson, Miss., have run that day?

"No," Smart says. "He would've sat down. The newness of everything in his role, with his young family, his kids developing, he's a better person, a better man. He's moving in the right direction because of it."

So are the Warriors (27-33), a win ahead of last season's total but stumbling at 1-4 since the All-Star break. Even though their playoff hopes have dimmed, the franchise is on an upswing with Ellis, Curry (18.7-point average), power forward David Lee (16 points) and small forward Dorrell Wright (16.3). They added forward Al Thornton on Thursday.

"We got the talent," says Ellis, whose tattoos are as pronounced as his Mississippi drawl. "When we have the heart to go out there and compete every night, we'll be all right.

"We're considered one of the softest teams in the NBA. Even teams softer than us come in and try to bully us. Some guys let it be. Until you get the heart of that dog in you, you won't win."

That Ellis is still there to fight the battle is a bit of a surprise. He was unhappy with the Warriors, who have reached the playoffs twice in the last 18 years.

They were unhappy with Ellis in 2008, when they fined him $3 million and suspended him for 30 games after he tore an ankle ligament in an offseason motorbike accident (and initially lied about how it happened). The motor-biking violated terms of his six-year, $67 million contract. The Warriors considered trading him.

Last season, Ellis had an icy relationship with Curry, questioning the first-round draft pick and their ability to co-exist because both are 6-3 with smallish frames. Today, the Warriors are under new ownership and Ellis is on good terms with Curry, who attended his wedding.

As Ellis has to do more at home to maintain his family, he has added responsibilities on the court as well. He knows when to lead or defer to teammates.

"I get him to try and guard the best perimeter player sometimes, and yet we ask him to create and score for us and then come in the next day and lead the team in practice," Smart says. "To sometimes take a step back and allow a Steph Curry or Reggie Williams or Dorrell Wright to push through from time to time, that's unique about him."

Lee is in his first season with the Warriors after being traded by the New York Knicks. Ellis has made a favorable impression.

"He's an unbelievable teammate. He's as talented as anybody in the league scoring the basketball," Lee says. "His ability, at his size, to hit jump shots and also get in the lane is remarkable"

While Ellis, raised by his maternal grandparents, is flying high, he vows his Southern roots will keep him grounded. He intends to be a good soldier regardless of how tough the going gets while leading such an inexperienced team.

"I'm here unless they make a move. I'm not going to demand something," says Ellis, who adds the loyal, passionate fan base in the Bay Area makes him more determined to make it work despite two consecutive losing seasons and possibly a third. "If I get moved it's going to be because they feel it?s the best thing for the organization.

"I love playing basketball. I know that one day we will become that (winning) team. I'm just going to play it out and see what happens. As long as I'm under contract with Golden State, I'm going to be here."

Being a small-town guy himself, Lee can appreciate Ellis' sentiments.

"He's a guy who grew up in the South in a smaller area, kind of like I grew up in St. Louis. Guys that are maybe from L.A. or New York may have that thing where they seek the spotlight more," Lee says.

"He's an easy guy to get along with. He's not a guy with 200,000 Twitter followers preaching about how he needs to be the next superstar. He goes out and competes every single night, which is what he's supposed to do."

Smart is certain that Golden State finally is on the right track.

"You've got to lay a foundation first for how you operate, how you practice, how your players get ready to work," Smart says. "If you're not one of the top six teams you don't just make the big jump right away.

"We're not there yet. We're still too young."

Ellis was overlooked for the All-Star Game when he could've become the Warriors' first selection since 1997. He's not only their best player, but their rock.

His upbringing prepared him well. His grandparents didn't pamper him. They taught him how to be self-sufficient, though his early years in the NBA made him realize it was more about business than just basketball.

"I wouldn't say I was ready for the NBA," Ellis says. "But life? Yes."

No I think he's still injured. With Big Baby injured they only have Krstic at center I believe.

That being said we're getting killed today.

Monta not settling for jumpers right now. Being aggresive towards the basket. He knows he's not gonna win the shootout with Ray.

Once Biedrins re-enters the game, Boston stretches the lead out.
30t6p3b.gif

It feels like Boston can just turn it up and blow us out if they want to.

Back
Top Bottom