OFFICIAL 2010-2011 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD : VOL. MOST. ANTICIPATED. PLAYOFFS. EVER?

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Either next game or the following, Dirk will pass Clyde for 22nd all-time in scoring, a remarkable 120 games fewer than Glide.

Also, sometime in March, Kobe will pass the great Elvin Hayes, and probably before the end of the year, pass Moses for 6th.
pimp.gif

Kobe should pass by Shaq sometime next year as well, for 5th, after that it's a long-haul.
laugh.gif
 He's less then 200 points behind Moses, as in it'll be 8 games or so before he's in 6th.  No probably about it. 

As for passing Shaq, only if there is a season next year. 

Osh, your thoughts on D Rose now? 
nerd.gif

pimp.gif

He's improved greatly this year getting to the line more, overall more effective, doesn't gaurd anyone but who cares he's a top 5 point guard

With all that said if Lebron James is the MVP and it's not particularly close, if rose were to win he would the worst MVP since Allen Iverson or Billy Cunningham.
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif

Dude are you serious?...drunk?...LBJ stan?

Even if I weren't a Bulls fan, there is no way I would give LBJ the 1st place vote over Rose...I don't wanna hear about Cavs' drop,but Heat were a playoff team with just Wade last year. Although LBJ stats are impressive as usual, he has another top five player on his team that makes it damn near impossible to double him. These dudes got 3 Team USA GOLD winners on their squad. They should be #1 with the talent in that starting lineup.

Rose has the Bulls a couple of games out of 1st place with over 40 games lost to injury between his starting center and power forward. I guarantee you we will hold the #1 spot in the eats longer than the heat did at some point this 2nd "half" of the season.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Either next game or the following, Dirk will pass Clyde for 22nd all-time in scoring, a remarkable 120 games fewer than Glide.

Also, sometime in March, Kobe will pass the great Elvin Hayes, and probably before the end of the year, pass Moses for 6th.
pimp.gif

Kobe should pass by Shaq sometime next year as well, for 5th, after that it's a long-haul.
laugh.gif
 He's less then 200 points behind Moses, as in it'll be 8 games or so before he's in 6th.  No probably about it. 

As for passing Shaq, only if there is a season next year. 

Osh, your thoughts on D Rose now? 
nerd.gif

pimp.gif

He's improved greatly this year getting to the line more, overall more effective, doesn't gaurd anyone but who cares he's a top 5 point guard

With all that said if Lebron James is the MVP and it's not particularly close, if rose were to win he would the worst MVP since Allen Iverson or Billy Cunningham.
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif

Dude are you serious?...drunk?...LBJ stan?

Even if I weren't a Bulls fan, there is no way I would give LBJ the 1st place vote over Rose...I don't wanna hear about Cavs' drop,but Heat were a playoff team with just Wade last year. Although LBJ stats are impressive as usual, he has another top five player on his team that makes it damn near impossible to double him. These dudes got 3 Team USA GOLD winners on their squad. They should be #1 with the talent in that starting lineup.

Rose has the Bulls a couple of games out of 1st place with over 40 games lost to injury between his starting center and power forward. I guarantee you we will hold the #1 spot in the eats longer than the heat did at some point this 2nd "half" of the season.

If regarda to the take rose off the bulls argument, you could say the same about howard andthe magic, no? Howard has improved so much this year and it seems no one has mentioned it.

If regarda to the take rose off the bulls argument, you could say the same about howard andthe magic, no? Howard has improved so much this year and it seems no one has mentioned it.

So what some of you are saying is that if Mike,Larry and Magic played together, Mike should've been the MVP for putting up the same numbers and falling in the standings?

If LBJ were to be really injured (not like the weak #$$ ankle sprain for 3-4 games), Heat would still make the playoffs and would still have a CHANCE at winning the division and getting homecourt.

If Rose missed significant time, we have serious problems...only thing that would save us would be the division lead we hold now.

Give the kids his props, he balling right now, still without getting the benefit of touch calls like Wade and Bron get. The only factor that would worry me in a  series between the two  teams would be the officiating.

They needed time to mesh, but the really should have a record similar or better than the spurs.

Howard has made a great improvement to his game, but his own team doesn't look to him first.

1. Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls (35-16)

derrick_rose.jpg

[table][tr][td]G[/td][td]MPG[/td][td]PPG[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]APG[/td][td]SPG[/td][td]BPG[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][/tr][tr][td]50[/td][td]38.0[/td][td]24.7[/td][td]4.4[/td][td]8.2[/td][td]1.0[/td][td]0.7[/td][td].446[/td][td].365[/td][td].830[/td][/tr][/table]Last Week's Rank - 1
It was inevitable that the Bulls would hit a skid, but it was Rose who stopped it at two games. Chicago still hasn't lost three in a row this season, thanks most recently to Rose's clutch steal and scoring at Utah Wednesday. He outclassed Jazz playmaker Deron Williams, who had a week to forget.

2. LeBron James, Miami Heat (38-14)

lebron_james.jpg

[table][tr][td]G[/td][td]MPG[/td][td]PPG[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]APG[/td][td]SPG[/td][td]BPG[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][/tr][tr][td]50[/td][td]38.3[/td][td]26.4[/td][td]7.3[/td][td]7.3[/td][td]1.5[/td][td]0.6[/td][td].486[/td][td].356[/td][td].764[/td][/tr][/table]Last Week's Rank - 2
The two-time reigning MVP went third-person on The Race the other day, proclaiming he's "back to playing LeBron James basketball." (Hey, The Race just did it now, too.) Yet another East POTW award, followed by a triple-double against Indiana and 28-of-51 shooting over the past seven days has LBJ foes talking to themselves rather than about themselves.

3. Dwight Howard, Orlando Magic (34-20)

dwight_howard.jpg

[table][tr][td]G[/td][td]MPG[/td][td]PPG[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]APG[/td][td]SPG[/td][td]BPG[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][/tr][tr][td]52[/td][td]36.5[/td][td]22.5[/td][td]13.8[/td][td]1.2[/td][td]1.2[/td][td]2.1[/td][td].581[/td][td].000[/td][td].584[/td][/tr][/table]Last Week's Rank - 3
Some seriously heavy lifting by the Orlando strongman in a 3-1 week: Games of 22-15, 28-13, 22-20 and 30-17, along with 61.4 FG pct and 66.7 FT pct.

4. Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder (33-18)

kevin_durant.jpg

[table][tr][td]G[/td][td]MPG[/td][td]PPG[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]APG[/td][td]SPG[/td][td]BPG[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][/tr][tr][td]47[/td][td]39.8[/td][td]29.0[/td][td]7.1[/td][td]2.8[/td][td]1.1[/td][td]1.0[/td][td].471[/td][/tr][/table]

So what some of you are saying is that if Mike,Larry and Magic played together, Mike should've been the MVP for putting up the same numbers and falling in the standings?

If LBJ were to be really injured (not like the weak #$$ ankle sprain for 3-4 games), Heat would still make the playoffs and would still have a CHANCE at winning the division and getting homecourt.

If Rose missed significant time, we have serious problems...only thing that would save us would be the division lead we hold now.

Give the kids his props, he balling right now, still without getting the benefit of touch calls like Wade and Bron get. The only factor that would worry me in a  series between the two  teams would be the officiating.

They needed time to mesh, but the really should have a record similar or better than the spurs.

Howard has made a great improvement to his game, but his own team doesn't look to him first.

1. Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls (35-16)

derrick_rose.jpg

[table][tr][td]G[/td][td]MPG[/td][td]PPG[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]APG[/td][td]SPG[/td][td]BPG[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][/tr][tr][td]50[/td][td]38.0[/td][td]24.7[/td][td]4.4[/td][td]8.2[/td][td]1.0[/td][td]0.7[/td][td].446[/td][td].365[/td][td].830[/td][/tr][/table]Last Week's Rank - 1
It was inevitable that the Bulls would hit a skid, but it was Rose who stopped it at two games. Chicago still hasn't lost three in a row this season, thanks most recently to Rose's clutch steal and scoring at Utah Wednesday. He outclassed Jazz playmaker Deron Williams, who had a week to forget.

2. LeBron James, Miami Heat (38-14)

lebron_james.jpg

[table][tr][td]G[/td][td]MPG[/td][td]PPG[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]APG[/td][td]SPG[/td][td]BPG[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][/tr][tr][td]50[/td][td]38.3[/td][td]26.4[/td][td]7.3[/td][td]7.3[/td][td]1.5[/td][td]0.6[/td][td].486[/td][td].356[/td][td].764[/td][/tr][/table]Last Week's Rank - 2
The two-time reigning MVP went third-person on The Race the other day, proclaiming he's "back to playing LeBron James basketball." (Hey, The Race just did it now, too.) Yet another East POTW award, followed by a triple-double against Indiana and 28-of-51 shooting over the past seven days has LBJ foes talking to themselves rather than about themselves.

3. Dwight Howard, Orlando Magic (34-20)

dwight_howard.jpg

[table][tr][td]G[/td][td]MPG[/td][td]PPG[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]APG[/td][td]SPG[/td][td]BPG[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][/tr][tr][td]52[/td][td]36.5[/td][td]22.5[/td][td]13.8[/td][td]1.2[/td][td]1.2[/td][td]2.1[/td][td].581[/td][td].000[/td][td].584[/td][/tr][/table]Last Week's Rank - 3
Some seriously heavy lifting by the Orlando strongman in a 3-1 week: Games of 22-15, 28-13, 22-20 and 30-17, along with 61.4 FG pct and 66.7 FT pct.

4. Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder (33-18)

kevin_durant.jpg

[table][tr][td]G[/td][td]MPG[/td][td]PPG[/td][td]RPG[/td][td]APG[/td][td]SPG[/td][td]BPG[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FT%[/td][/tr][tr][td]47[/td][td]39.8[/td][td]29.0[/td][td]7.1[/td][td]2.8[/td][td]1.1[/td][td]1.0[/td][td].471[/td][/tr][/table]

Unfortunately, the MVP voting public has developed an awful sickness. Ever since the indefensible 2001 selection of Allen Iverson, the bizarre idea has taken hold that, somehow, the best way to measure a player's MVP worthiness is by estimating how awful the team would be without him.

Because the Heat have both LeBron and Wade, this argument goes, we can't wail and moan about how horrible the team might be in the absence of either one, and thus, by the same convoluted logic, we can't consider either the MVP. But we can freely consider Nowitzki because his backup is Brian Cardinal.

How absurd. So instead we're subjected to hearing about how bad the Mavs have been in Nowitzki's absence, or how Rose's Bulls managed to play well despite injuries to Carlos Boozer and Joakim Noah, or how Amare Stoudemire brought the magic of .500 basketball back to the Garden.

Unfortunately, the MVP voting public has developed an awful sickness. Ever since the indefensible 2001 selection of Allen Iverson, the bizarre idea has taken hold that, somehow, the best way to measure a player's MVP worthiness is by estimating how awful the team would be without him.

Because the Heat have both LeBron and Wade, this argument goes, we can't wail and moan about how horrible the team might be in the absence of either one, and thus, by the same convoluted logic, we can't consider either the MVP. But we can freely consider Nowitzki because his backup is Brian Cardinal.

How absurd. So instead we're subjected to hearing about how bad the Mavs have been in Nowitzki's absence, or how Rose's Bulls managed to play well despite injuries to Carlos Boozer and Joakim Noah, or how Amare Stoudemire brought the magic of .500 basketball back to the Garden.

Originally Posted by JD617

I have Lebron as the MVP with Dwight Howard a distant 2nd.

Why do you give the nod to James?  Numbers?  (honest question everyone, just asking him)

AMP, agreed on the "take Howard off the Magic" point.  I think he's going to get 3rd personally, simply because of who Bron is, and what Rose is doing.  But Xtap has made a good point earlier in the year about most guys that go for MVP, have to have been included in discussions before, they don't "come out of nowhere" typically.  So Rose will be an interesting study. 

To try and unclog all this in here, I started the MVP thread for this year, was surprised it wasn't opened yet, we opened last year's like on New Years or some @#$% 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JD617

I have Lebron as the MVP with Dwight Howard a distant 2nd.

Why do you give the nod to James?  Numbers?  (honest question everyone, just asking him)

AMP, agreed on the "take Howard off the Magic" point.  I think he's going to get 3rd personally, simply because of who Bron is, and what Rose is doing.  But Xtap has made a good point earlier in the year about most guys that go for MVP, have to have been included in discussions before, they don't "come out of nowhere" typically.  So Rose will be an interesting study. 

To try and unclog all this in here, I started the MVP thread for this year, was surprised it wasn't opened yet, we opened last year's like on New Years or some @#$% 
laugh.gif

Proshares wrote:
I'll preface this by saying I despise the Bulls and their fans but I have been proven wrong about Rose and I enjoy watching him play as much as I can.

But there's no way right now he's MVP over LeBron. I'd have him probably either tied or slightly ahead of D12 right now with Wade rounding out the 4.
You'd have Lebron, with Wade in 4th????  But no way Rose can be "thee" MVP when he won't have a teammate even receive a vote? 
ohwell.gif

Yup.  I hate using that argument "take this player off a team and they're going to be so bad."  So many people saying you can't use that excuse with Bron and the Cavs are the same people using that excuse for Rose with the Bulls.  Yes, he has an amazing teammate on his team in Dwayne Wade.  You guys happen to realize the 9 fire hydrants they play with?  Or how Bosh is being used in the complete wrong way by Spoelstra?  If we must use that argument, then take Rose and Noah or Boozer (your pick) off of Chicago and take Wade and Bron off of Miami and which team makes the Cavs look like world beaters?

Bron has better stats in most of the categories outside of APG (which he isn't far behind for a 3), 3pt% (they're both not great and have never been great) and FT% (but take into account James has taken about 150 more FT's).  But his stats on the defensive side dwarf Rose's for the most part.  It's a lot numbers and it's a lot of carrying a team with 0 contributions from the PG, C and hte 7 bench positions as well.  As much as Rose has been doing for Chicago, they are benefiting from playing with one of the better defensive minds of the decade and with a team full of players who have always been good defensive players or players who have bought into the system Thibs brought in.

Proshares wrote:
I'll preface this by saying I despise the Bulls and their fans but I have been proven wrong about Rose and I enjoy watching him play as much as I can.

But there's no way right now he's MVP over LeBron. I'd have him probably either tied or slightly ahead of D12 right now with Wade rounding out the 4.
You'd have Lebron, with Wade in 4th????  But no way Rose can be "thee" MVP when he won't have a teammate even receive a vote? 
ohwell.gif

Yup.  I hate using that argument "take this player off a team and they're going to be so bad."  So many people saying you can't use that excuse with Bron and the Cavs are the same people using that excuse for Rose with the Bulls.  Yes, he has an amazing teammate on his team in Dwayne Wade.  You guys happen to realize the 9 fire hydrants they play with?  Or how Bosh is being used in the complete wrong way by Spoelstra?  If we must use that argument, then take Rose and Noah or Boozer (your pick) off of Chicago and take Wade and Bron off of Miami and which team makes the Cavs look like world beaters?

Bron has better stats in most of the categories outside of APG (which he isn't far behind for a 3), 3pt% (they're both not great and have never been great) and FT% (but take into account James has taken about 150 more FT's).  But his stats on the defensive side dwarf Rose's for the most part.  It's a lot numbers and it's a lot of carrying a team with 0 contributions from the PG, C and hte 7 bench positions as well.  As much as Rose has been doing for Chicago, they are benefiting from playing with one of the better defensive minds of the decade and with a team full of players who have always been good defensive players or players who have bought into the system Thibs brought in.

And when Bron takes nights to chill while Wade goes for 30+ (17 times so far), Rose gets that same luxury, when? 
nerd.gif

Hell, Wade got more 30's then Bron does. 
laugh.gif
  You think Rose gets to take a few nights off, let someone else go handle the work for him? 

And when Bron takes nights to chill while Wade goes for 30+ (17 times so far), Rose gets that same luxury, when? 
nerd.gif

laugh.gif
  You think Rose gets to take a few nights off, let someone else go handle the work for him? 

What is a chill night for 'bron, 25, 5, 5? That is still betterthan rose. Also, the argument could be made that bron has been the best defensive player this year.And antbanks post is nonstop homer drivel...d12 can't be mvp cause he isn't the first offensive option, but rose can be despite his awful, awful d, ?

What is a chill night for 'bron, 25, 5, 5? That is still betterthan rose. Also, the argument could be made that bron has been the best defensive player this year.And antbanks post is nonstop homer drivel...d12 can't be mvp cause he isn't the first offensive option, but rose can be despite his awful, awful d, ?

nerd.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
 And what are Mario Chalmers, Joel Anthony, Chris Bosh, Mike Miller, Eddie House and the rest of those dregs giving you?  It's different situations on both teams.  Rose has an off night, that swarming defense is usually on point.  Rose never takes nights off from taking shots.  If he's off, it's sometimes his own fault for others not getting into it as much because he's still taking a good amount of shots.  Granted, when he does pass of a lot of the time shots are missed.

nerd.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
 And what are Mario Chalmers, Joel Anthony, Chris Bosh, Mike Miller, Eddie House and the rest of those dregs giving you?  It's different situations on both teams.  Rose has an off night, that swarming defense is usually on point.  Rose never takes nights off from taking shots.  If he's off, it's sometimes his own fault for others not getting into it as much because he's still taking a good amount of shots.  Granted, when he does pass of a lot of the time shots are missed.

Safe to say that if LeBron wins MVP that the best player in the league won MVP. Can't say the same for Rose. But I actually think Howard deserves a lot more love.

Safe to say that if LeBron wins MVP that the best player in the league won MVP. Can't say the same for Rose. But I actually think Howard deserves a lot more love.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Dozen among finalists for Hall of Fame[/h1]www.ESPN.com

Five former NBA All-Stars -- Chris Mullin, Maurice Cheeks, Ralph Sampson, Jamaal Wilkes and Dennis Rodman-- are among the 12-person list of finalists for the basketball Hall of Fame, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced Friday.

They are joined on the North American Screening Committee's list by coaches Herb Magee (the all-time NCAA wins leader), NBA coaches **** Motta and Tex Winter, contributor Al Attles and referee Hank Nichols. The Women's Screening Committee list includes five-time U.S. Olympian Teresa Edwards and Stanford (and former U.S. national team) coach Tara VanDerveer.

The inductees will be announced April 4 in conjunction with the NCAA Final Four in Houston.They will be joined by one person elected by the ABA and Early African-American Pioneers committees. The induction ceremony is at the hall in Springfield, Mass., from Aug. 11-13.

Mullen was a five-time NBA All-Star after a standout career at St. John's. Cheeks played in four All-Star games and won an NBA title for the Philadelphia 76ers.

Sampson was a three-time NCAA player of the year at Virginia and enjoyed an all-star career with the Houston Rockets. Wilkes won two national titles at UCLA and then added four more with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Rodman won five NBA titles and is one of the game's top rebounders -- and most eccentric characters.

Magee has won more than 900 games at NCAA Division II Philadelphia University, while Motta was the 1971 NBA coach of the year and won more than 1,000 games at nearly every level. Winter has been a coach since 1947, most famously as an assistant to Phil Jackson with both the Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers. He is credited with creating the triangle offense.

Nichols worked six NCAA title games as an official, plus two Olympic games. Attles has been involved in the NBA for more than 50 years with the Golden State Warriors as a player, player-coach, coach, general manager, vice president and consultant.

Edwards, an All-American at Georgia, won four gold medals in the Olympics for the U.S. VanDerveer started at Stanford in 1978 and has won two NCAA titles and the 1996 Olympic gold medal.

Link

Back
Top Bottom