OFFICIAL 2010-2011 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD : VOL. MOST. ANTICIPATED. PLAYOFFS. EVER?

Originally Posted by kvsm23vs24

Chuck was hilarious tonight
when he tried to put that jersey on
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

^ harden is looking more and more like a dude who needs the ball in his hands.. and obviously, that's not going happen with KD and westie

so i'm just trying think of young guys who could be available that would look good there

also just thinking after listening to the simmons podcast with marc stein.. and they were discussing bosh trades.. and then they went on to discuss the jazz and how al jefferson isn't fitting in welll

who says no to a jefferson and fesenko for bosh deal?

^ harden is looking more and more like a dude who needs the ball in his hands.. and obviously, that's not going happen with KD and westie

so i'm just trying think of young guys who could be available that would look good there

also just thinking after listening to the simmons podcast with marc stein.. and they were discussing bosh trades.. and then they went on to discuss the jazz and how al jefferson isn't fitting in welll

who says no to a jefferson and fesenko for bosh deal?

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

DaComeUP wrote:

airmaxpenny1 wrote:

Proshares wrote:

I'm not going to put too much on D-Will beating CP3 tonight because NO's inside made Jefferson look amazing tonight
I will.  15-3 now I believe lifetime head to head.  Doesn't neccisarily say D-Will's better, but ether's all arguments that CP3 superior.

DWill consistently plays on better teams though..
Slightly better but the Jazz aren't some powerhouse exactly, the talent difference isn't that far apart.  And regardless if the team records are always similar why the disparity in the head to head matchup? Either way, D-Will has absolutely owned Paul throughout their careers.

I'd like to see the head to head matchup stats individually.. Sloan > any coach that CP3 had ever had. Utah's teams are just much better put together than NO. I could care less about their head to head W-L record.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

DaComeUP wrote:

airmaxpenny1 wrote:

Proshares wrote:

I'm not going to put too much on D-Will beating CP3 tonight because NO's inside made Jefferson look amazing tonight
I will.  15-3 now I believe lifetime head to head.  Doesn't neccisarily say D-Will's better, but ether's all arguments that CP3 superior.

DWill consistently plays on better teams though..
Slightly better but the Jazz aren't some powerhouse exactly, the talent difference isn't that far apart.  And regardless if the team records are always similar why the disparity in the head to head matchup? Either way, D-Will has absolutely owned Paul throughout their careers.

I'd like to see the head to head matchup stats individually.. Sloan > any coach that CP3 had ever had. Utah's teams are just much better put together than NO. I could care less about their head to head W-L record.

http://[h3]
[h3]Wright's available[/h3]
9:26AM ET

[h5]Brandan Wright | Warriors [/h5]

According to ESPN's Marc Stein, the Warriors have made power forward Brandan Wright available via trade.

"Wright only made it onto the floor for 77 games in his first three seasons thanks largely to a run of shoulder injuries and hasn't been able to catch up," he wrote. "Not even with David Lee (elbow), Louis Amundson (finger) and prized rookie Ekpe Udoh (wrist) all dealing with their own health woes.

"It's likewise no secret that Amundson and Udoh are locks, albeit not quite at Lee's level, to receive rotation priority from coach Keith Smart over Wright when everyone's healthy."

Destinations where Wright could head?

The Pacers could potentially use an athletic 4, but Wright's body of work might not lend itself to their liking.

Miami is struggling with rebounding and frontcourt scoring. But again, Wright's skill level might not make enough of an impact to justify a trade -- nor are the Heat believed to be pursuing a big man after signing Erick Dampier earlier this week.

Kings power forward Jason Thompson -- who's reportedly also on the trade block -- could make a little more sense for either team.

-- Ryan Corazza

stein_marc_30.jpg
[h5]ESPN's Marc Stein[/h5]
Gadzuric and Radmanovic gettable as well
"Suspect as a rebounder because of his build and still trying to develop more variety offensively to complement his undeniable shot-blocking ability, Wright will be a restricted free agent at season's end if he's not moved by the Warriors first. There aren't any strong signals that anything's imminent, but this much we know: The 23-year-old belongs with Dan Gadzuric and Vladimir Radmanovic on list of Golden State 'gettables.'"
[/h3]

ford_chad_30.jpg
[h5]ESPN's Chad Ford[/h5]
Pacers have assets for a trade and a need at the 4
"They still need an athletic four to compliment Roy Hibbert. That's their biggest weakness. They have assets, including T.J. Ford, Mike Dunleavy and Jeff Foster's expiring contracts. They'll also have a lot of cap space this summer. In other words, the Pacers are primed to get better either in February at the trade deadline or this summer. Larry Bird and David Morway have done a great job of rebuilding this team. It took a while, but the Pacers are back on the right track."

http://[h3]Bradley will likely remain[/h3]
9:06AM ET

[h5]Avery Bradley | Celtics [/h5]

UPDATE: With news that West has a broken wrist, Kennedy tweeted Thursday Bradley is now likely to stick with the C's.

"With West injured, it looks like Bradley won't be sent down to the D-League after all," he wrote. "He's 100 percent healthy and ready to step up."

In five games since returning from suspension, West was seeing 17.5 minutes a game.

But with Rajon Rondo returning to the lineup soon, there will be less rotation minutes to go around, and Bradley isn't likely to see as much run.

---

After missing the beginning of the season due to ankle surgery, Celtics rookie guard Avery Bradley made his debut for the Celtics on Monday evening in a thumping of the Hawks.

Yet, it appears he may be spending his immediate future in the D-League.

"Bradley is now 100 percent but two sources believe the team may send him to their D-League affiliate for a rehab stint," tweeted Alex Kennedy of HOOPSWORLD.

Once Rajon Rondo returns from injury, the C's backcourt will have a fair amount of depth along with Ray Allen, Delonte West, Von Wafer and Nate Robinson -- so sending the rookie down for some seasoning shouldn't affect the team much, if at all.

http://[h3]White hopes to return next month[/h3]
11:15AM ET

[h5]Terrico White | Pistons [/h5]

Rookie guard Terrico White broke his right foot during the preseason. He told the Detroit Free Press Wednesday that he expects to return "sometime next month."

White says he doesn't know how he suffered the injury.

"All I remember is that play where I went up for a jump shot, and I got stripped. I guess it happened then," he said. "When I came down, I tried to jump back up, and I couldn't jump."

The Pistons rotation in the backcourt is already set, so White could be sent to the D-League at some point, when he's ready to play.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Pittman headed to Sioux Falls[/h3]
10:59AM ET

[h5]Dexter Pittman | Heat [/h5]

The Miami Heat now have five centers on the team and the decision has been made to send rookie Dexter Pittman to the D-League's Sioux Falls Skyforce for some game action.

"That's the whole purpose of me going, to get some game situations up under me," Pittman told the Palm Beach Post. "I've put in a lot of hard work but it's not right just to throw me out there with the big guys yet. Even though I'm physically ready. I've got to go there and get mentally ready and IQ wise."

It is not known how long Pittman will stay with the Skyforce.

http://[h3]Miles' future with the Jazz[/h3]
9:14AM ET

[h5]C.J. Miles | Jazz [/h5]

The Utah Jazz have a $3.7 million team option for C.J. Miles next season and he hopes the team exercises it. They have until the end of June to make a decision.

"I would love to stay here," Miles told The Salt Lake Tribune on Wednesday.

Miles has played his entire six-year career for the Jazz and considers Deron Williams, Ronnie Price and Paul Millsap to be family.

"These are basically my big brothers," Miles said. "They taught me everything."

Miles is a good fit with the Jazz and his salary isn't high, so the team probably will keep him through the 2011-12 season.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Murphy told to stay home[/h3]
8:32AM ET

[h5]Troy Murphy | Nets [/h5]

UPDATE: Johnson told The Star-Ledger Wednesday that he'll check in with Murphy on Monday to find out if the power forwards conditioning has improved.

Johnson says it will be hard to find any minutes for Murphy.

"He's getting stronger," Johnson said. "When we bring him back, we'll see if there are some minutes there. Right now, with the 48 minutes that are given out at the power forward spot, (Kris) Humphries is eating up the starter minutes and we're not going to deviate with Favors with his backup minutes. And Troy is not a small forward, or a center, so there are just not many minutes there.… We'll see where we are with him on Monday…."

http://[h3]Williams' future with the Nets[/h3]
8:22AM ET

[h5]Terrence Williams | Nets [/h5]

Terrence Williams will learn his fate on Friday, after being on the inactive list for the last two games. According to the New York Daily News, Williams was inactive for "repeated violations of team policy and a lack of respect for the situation."

Is it possible the Nets will try to trade Williams or just bench him?

"Billy (King, the Nets' GM) and I are discussing where we are there, and we've been in contact with Terrence and his representatives," Johnson told The Star-Ledger. "We have a couple of options available to us? I will have an answer for you on Friday -- a definitive answer. No sugarcoating it; no grey area. We will have an answer."

Johnson also told the newspaper that suspending Williams is "not one of the options that we've discussed."

Part of Johnson's philosophy, as a former player, is to hold players accountable for their actions.

"He said in all of his businesses, there's structure, there's organization; there's accountability, and that's why he's been successful in his businesses," Johnson said of owner Mikhail Prokhorov. "I told him that's what I experienced as a player and what we tried to do in my first coaching stand, and it worked."

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Lineup change coming for Pistons?[/h3]
7:48AM ET

[h5]Ben Gordon | Pistons [/h5]

The Pistons are 5-10 after 15 games and head coach John Kuester was asked if he's considering changing the starting lineup.

"There's a possibility," Kuester told the Detroit Free Press after Wednesday's loss to Memphis. "We have to look at that very strongly at what we're trying to get accomplished ..."

Is it time to insert Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva into the starting lineup? Gordon would not say, but did admit changes need to be made if you're not winning.

"Players have to make adjustments during the game; coaches have to make adjustments during the game, and that's how you are successful," Gordon said. "Teams aren't going to do the same things all the time. You got to adjust and be able to adapt."

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Delfino may return in two weeks[/h3]
7:19AM ET

[h5]Carlos Delfino | Bucks [/h5]

Carlos Delfino has not played since the second game of the season when he was hit in the head during a collision with Indiana's Danny Granger. An examination on Wednesday revealed his concussive symptoms are almost gone.

According to the Journal Sentinel, his doctors think he could be cleared for basketball activities in less than a week and if he suffers no setbacks he could play in about two weeks.

Luc Richard Mbah a Moute will remain as the starting small forward until Delfino is fit to play again.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Roy taking it one day at a time[/h3]
6:19AM ET

[h5]Brandon Roy | Trail Blazers [/h5]

Brandon Roy has not played in the last three games due to his sore left knee, but could return on Friday against New Orleans.

Roy practiced on Wednesday and told The Oregonian,"If I feel the way I feel now, I will play Friday."

"I went through the whole practice and felt pretty good," Roy added. "But I will take it one day at a time and try to get as close as I can to feeling good about the game on Friday."

Wesley Matthews will stay in the starting lineup until Roy can return to the active roster.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Udoka back with the Spurs[/h3]
6:08AM ET

[h5]Ime Udoka | Spurs [/h5]

The San Antonio Spurs signed Ime Udoka to a non-guaranteed rest-of-season contract on Wednesday and he's thrilled to be with the team again. He played for the Spurs for two years from 2007 though 2009.

"It's great to be back, and I know the system," Udoka told The Oregonian. "The coaches know what I do from my two years, and I know the terminology and fit right in. And I'm very comfortable with the guys."

Udoka will back up Manu Ginobili and Richard Jefferson.

"They're rolling right now, so for me, it's coming in, helping out, hit open shots and guard people," Udoka said. "Just like before."

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Will Przybilla play Friday?[/h3]
5:58AM ET

[h5]Joel Przybilla | Trail Blazers [/h5]

UPDATE: The Oregonian reports Przybilla spent Wednesday in the hospital due to a stomach virus. He should be released on Thursday and his status for Friday will be evaluated.

According to the newspaper, Nate McMillan said a flu-like bug has hit the team.

-- Nick Borges

----

The Blazers have been targeting Nov. 26 against New Orleans, as the day center http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=682Joel Przybilla will return to the active roster. Will that happen?

"We'll bring him back Wednesday, go live again, then Thursday go through that practice again, and we'll make a decision on Friday," head coach Nate McMillan told The Oregonian.

Przybilla fractured his right kneecap on Dec. 22 of last season against Dallas.

The Blazers have had nothing but back luck with injuries the past few years, so Przybilla's return, whenever it happens, will be a welcomed addition to the team.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]O'Brien won't change rotation[/h3]
5:34AM ET

[h5]Mike Dunleavy | Pacers [/h5]

Even though Brandon Rush is a better defender and scorer, head coach Jim O'Brien will continue to use him off the bench and start Mike Dunleavy at shooting guard.

"The main thing is you have your rotation together and guys know when they're going in the game," O'Brien tells The Indianapolis Star. "Whether Brandon is starting or Michael is starting, the guy who is not starting knows he's coming in and he's the first sub off the bench. We've had success with both lineups, so it doesn't really matter."

Dunleavy has started all but one game this season.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Mayo's new role[/h3]
5:23AM ET

[h5]O.J. Mayo | Grizzlies [/h5]

O.J. Mayo, for the second consecutive game, was used as a reserve. Head coach Lionel Hollins says he made the move because he wants to have more scoring off the bench.

"We got the win and we had 41 points off the bench," Hollins told The Commercial-Appeal. "It played out the way that I hoped it would play out. We have a lot of guys that can play."

Mayo acknowledged that it will take an adjustment since he has always been a starter.

"It was different," Mayo said of his new role. "I just have to be patient and understand that when I get in there, just be aggressive. I have to know the reason I'm coming off the bench, play hard, and provide energy, scoring and leadership. I'm definitely a team player."

Mayo scored nine points against Detroit on Wednesday.

Rookie http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=4241Xavier Henry replaced Mayo as the starting shooting guard.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Banks won't join Hornets[/h3]
5:01AM ET

[h5]Marcus Banks | Hornets [/h5]

New Orleans acquired Marcus Banks, as part of the five-player trade with Toronto, but he will not be joining the team. The Times-Picayune reports the Hornets and the agent for the player have agreed that the point guard doesn't need to report to the team.

He will continue to count towards the cap and he'll remain part of the roster until he's traded, waived, or agrees to a buyout.

Banks is on the books for $4.84 million.

David Andersen, who was also part of the deal, is having visa issues and should meet up with the Hornets in Portland on Friday.

http://[h3]
[h3]Wright's available[/h3]
9:26AM ET

[h5]Brandan Wright | Warriors [/h5]

According to ESPN's Marc Stein, the Warriors have made power forward Brandan Wright available via trade.

"Wright only made it onto the floor for 77 games in his first three seasons thanks largely to a run of shoulder injuries and hasn't been able to catch up," he wrote. "Not even with David Lee (elbow), Louis Amundson (finger) and prized rookie Ekpe Udoh (wrist) all dealing with their own health woes.

"It's likewise no secret that Amundson and Udoh are locks, albeit not quite at Lee's level, to receive rotation priority from coach Keith Smart over Wright when everyone's healthy."

Destinations where Wright could head?

The Pacers could potentially use an athletic 4, but Wright's body of work might not lend itself to their liking.

Miami is struggling with rebounding and frontcourt scoring. But again, Wright's skill level might not make enough of an impact to justify a trade -- nor are the Heat believed to be pursuing a big man after signing Erick Dampier earlier this week.

Kings power forward Jason Thompson -- who's reportedly also on the trade block -- could make a little more sense for either team.

-- Ryan Corazza

stein_marc_30.jpg
[h5]ESPN's Marc Stein[/h5]
Gadzuric and Radmanovic gettable as well
"Suspect as a rebounder because of his build and still trying to develop more variety offensively to complement his undeniable shot-blocking ability, Wright will be a restricted free agent at season's end if he's not moved by the Warriors first. There aren't any strong signals that anything's imminent, but this much we know: The 23-year-old belongs with Dan Gadzuric and Vladimir Radmanovic on list of Golden State 'gettables.'"
[/h3]

ford_chad_30.jpg
[h5]ESPN's Chad Ford[/h5]
Pacers have assets for a trade and a need at the 4
"They still need an athletic four to compliment Roy Hibbert. That's their biggest weakness. They have assets, including T.J. Ford, Mike Dunleavy and Jeff Foster's expiring contracts. They'll also have a lot of cap space this summer. In other words, the Pacers are primed to get better either in February at the trade deadline or this summer. Larry Bird and David Morway have done a great job of rebuilding this team. It took a while, but the Pacers are back on the right track."

http://[h3]Bradley will likely remain[/h3]
9:06AM ET

[h5]Avery Bradley | Celtics [/h5]

UPDATE: With news that West has a broken wrist, Kennedy tweeted Thursday Bradley is now likely to stick with the C's.

"With West injured, it looks like Bradley won't be sent down to the D-League after all," he wrote. "He's 100 percent healthy and ready to step up."

In five games since returning from suspension, West was seeing 17.5 minutes a game.

But with Rajon Rondo returning to the lineup soon, there will be less rotation minutes to go around, and Bradley isn't likely to see as much run.

---

After missing the beginning of the season due to ankle surgery, Celtics rookie guard Avery Bradley made his debut for the Celtics on Monday evening in a thumping of the Hawks.

Yet, it appears he may be spending his immediate future in the D-League.

"Bradley is now 100 percent but two sources believe the team may send him to their D-League affiliate for a rehab stint," tweeted Alex Kennedy of HOOPSWORLD.

Once Rajon Rondo returns from injury, the C's backcourt will have a fair amount of depth along with Ray Allen, Delonte West, Von Wafer and Nate Robinson -- so sending the rookie down for some seasoning shouldn't affect the team much, if at all.

http://[h3]White hopes to return next month[/h3]
11:15AM ET

[h5]Terrico White | Pistons [/h5]

Rookie guard Terrico White broke his right foot during the preseason. He told the Detroit Free Press Wednesday that he expects to return "sometime next month."

White says he doesn't know how he suffered the injury.

"All I remember is that play where I went up for a jump shot, and I got stripped. I guess it happened then," he said. "When I came down, I tried to jump back up, and I couldn't jump."

The Pistons rotation in the backcourt is already set, so White could be sent to the D-League at some point, when he's ready to play.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Pittman headed to Sioux Falls[/h3]
10:59AM ET

[h5]Dexter Pittman | Heat [/h5]

The Miami Heat now have five centers on the team and the decision has been made to send rookie Dexter Pittman to the D-League's Sioux Falls Skyforce for some game action.

"That's the whole purpose of me going, to get some game situations up under me," Pittman told the Palm Beach Post. "I've put in a lot of hard work but it's not right just to throw me out there with the big guys yet. Even though I'm physically ready. I've got to go there and get mentally ready and IQ wise."

It is not known how long Pittman will stay with the Skyforce.

http://[h3]Miles' future with the Jazz[/h3]
9:14AM ET

[h5]C.J. Miles | Jazz [/h5]

The Utah Jazz have a $3.7 million team option for C.J. Miles next season and he hopes the team exercises it. They have until the end of June to make a decision.

"I would love to stay here," Miles told The Salt Lake Tribune on Wednesday.

Miles has played his entire six-year career for the Jazz and considers Deron Williams, Ronnie Price and Paul Millsap to be family.

"These are basically my big brothers," Miles said. "They taught me everything."

Miles is a good fit with the Jazz and his salary isn't high, so the team probably will keep him through the 2011-12 season.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Murphy told to stay home[/h3]
8:32AM ET

[h5]Troy Murphy | Nets [/h5]

UPDATE: Johnson told The Star-Ledger Wednesday that he'll check in with Murphy on Monday to find out if the power forwards conditioning has improved.

Johnson says it will be hard to find any minutes for Murphy.

"He's getting stronger," Johnson said. "When we bring him back, we'll see if there are some minutes there. Right now, with the 48 minutes that are given out at the power forward spot, (Kris) Humphries is eating up the starter minutes and we're not going to deviate with Favors with his backup minutes. And Troy is not a small forward, or a center, so there are just not many minutes there.… We'll see where we are with him on Monday…."

http://[h3]Williams' future with the Nets[/h3]
8:22AM ET

[h5]Terrence Williams | Nets [/h5]

Terrence Williams will learn his fate on Friday, after being on the inactive list for the last two games. According to the New York Daily News, Williams was inactive for "repeated violations of team policy and a lack of respect for the situation."

Is it possible the Nets will try to trade Williams or just bench him?

"Billy (King, the Nets' GM) and I are discussing where we are there, and we've been in contact with Terrence and his representatives," Johnson told The Star-Ledger. "We have a couple of options available to us? I will have an answer for you on Friday -- a definitive answer. No sugarcoating it; no grey area. We will have an answer."

Johnson also told the newspaper that suspending Williams is "not one of the options that we've discussed."

Part of Johnson's philosophy, as a former player, is to hold players accountable for their actions.

"He said in all of his businesses, there's structure, there's organization; there's accountability, and that's why he's been successful in his businesses," Johnson said of owner Mikhail Prokhorov. "I told him that's what I experienced as a player and what we tried to do in my first coaching stand, and it worked."

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Lineup change coming for Pistons?[/h3]
7:48AM ET

[h5]Ben Gordon | Pistons [/h5]

The Pistons are 5-10 after 15 games and head coach John Kuester was asked if he's considering changing the starting lineup.

"There's a possibility," Kuester told the Detroit Free Press after Wednesday's loss to Memphis. "We have to look at that very strongly at what we're trying to get accomplished ..."

Is it time to insert Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva into the starting lineup? Gordon would not say, but did admit changes need to be made if you're not winning.

"Players have to make adjustments during the game; coaches have to make adjustments during the game, and that's how you are successful," Gordon said. "Teams aren't going to do the same things all the time. You got to adjust and be able to adapt."

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Delfino may return in two weeks[/h3]
7:19AM ET

[h5]Carlos Delfino | Bucks [/h5]

Carlos Delfino has not played since the second game of the season when he was hit in the head during a collision with Indiana's Danny Granger. An examination on Wednesday revealed his concussive symptoms are almost gone.

According to the Journal Sentinel, his doctors think he could be cleared for basketball activities in less than a week and if he suffers no setbacks he could play in about two weeks.

Luc Richard Mbah a Moute will remain as the starting small forward until Delfino is fit to play again.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Roy taking it one day at a time[/h3]
6:19AM ET

[h5]Brandon Roy | Trail Blazers [/h5]

Brandon Roy has not played in the last three games due to his sore left knee, but could return on Friday against New Orleans.

Roy practiced on Wednesday and told The Oregonian,"If I feel the way I feel now, I will play Friday."

"I went through the whole practice and felt pretty good," Roy added. "But I will take it one day at a time and try to get as close as I can to feeling good about the game on Friday."

Wesley Matthews will stay in the starting lineup until Roy can return to the active roster.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Udoka back with the Spurs[/h3]
6:08AM ET

[h5]Ime Udoka | Spurs [/h5]

The San Antonio Spurs signed Ime Udoka to a non-guaranteed rest-of-season contract on Wednesday and he's thrilled to be with the team again. He played for the Spurs for two years from 2007 though 2009.

"It's great to be back, and I know the system," Udoka told The Oregonian. "The coaches know what I do from my two years, and I know the terminology and fit right in. And I'm very comfortable with the guys."

Udoka will back up Manu Ginobili and Richard Jefferson.

"They're rolling right now, so for me, it's coming in, helping out, hit open shots and guard people," Udoka said. "Just like before."

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Will Przybilla play Friday?[/h3]
5:58AM ET

[h5]Joel Przybilla | Trail Blazers [/h5]

UPDATE: The Oregonian reports Przybilla spent Wednesday in the hospital due to a stomach virus. He should be released on Thursday and his status for Friday will be evaluated.

According to the newspaper, Nate McMillan said a flu-like bug has hit the team.

-- Nick Borges

----

The Blazers have been targeting Nov. 26 against New Orleans, as the day center http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=682Joel Przybilla will return to the active roster. Will that happen?

"We'll bring him back Wednesday, go live again, then Thursday go through that practice again, and we'll make a decision on Friday," head coach Nate McMillan told The Oregonian.

Przybilla fractured his right kneecap on Dec. 22 of last season against Dallas.

The Blazers have had nothing but back luck with injuries the past few years, so Przybilla's return, whenever it happens, will be a welcomed addition to the team.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]O'Brien won't change rotation[/h3]
5:34AM ET

[h5]Mike Dunleavy | Pacers [/h5]

Even though Brandon Rush is a better defender and scorer, head coach Jim O'Brien will continue to use him off the bench and start Mike Dunleavy at shooting guard.

"The main thing is you have your rotation together and guys know when they're going in the game," O'Brien tells The Indianapolis Star. "Whether Brandon is starting or Michael is starting, the guy who is not starting knows he's coming in and he's the first sub off the bench. We've had success with both lineups, so it doesn't really matter."

Dunleavy has started all but one game this season.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Mayo's new role[/h3]
5:23AM ET

[h5]O.J. Mayo | Grizzlies [/h5]

O.J. Mayo, for the second consecutive game, was used as a reserve. Head coach Lionel Hollins says he made the move because he wants to have more scoring off the bench.

"We got the win and we had 41 points off the bench," Hollins told The Commercial-Appeal. "It played out the way that I hoped it would play out. We have a lot of guys that can play."

Mayo acknowledged that it will take an adjustment since he has always been a starter.

"It was different," Mayo said of his new role. "I just have to be patient and understand that when I get in there, just be aggressive. I have to know the reason I'm coming off the bench, play hard, and provide energy, scoring and leadership. I'm definitely a team player."

Mayo scored nine points against Detroit on Wednesday.

Rookie http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=4241Xavier Henry replaced Mayo as the starting shooting guard.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Banks won't join Hornets[/h3]
5:01AM ET

[h5]Marcus Banks | Hornets [/h5]

New Orleans acquired Marcus Banks, as part of the five-player trade with Toronto, but he will not be joining the team. The Times-Picayune reports the Hornets and the agent for the player have agreed that the point guard doesn't need to report to the team.

He will continue to count towards the cap and he'll remain part of the roster until he's traded, waived, or agrees to a buyout.

Banks is on the books for $4.84 million.

David Andersen, who was also part of the deal, is having visa issues and should meet up with the Hornets in Portland on Friday.

Hold the Mayo: Grizzlies guard accepts Hollins' decision to bring him off bench

The concept had been tossed around long before the Grizzlies played their 14th game of this regular season.

Coach Lionel Hollins acknowledged that moving O.J. Mayo to the bench was something his staff discussed in September. The Griz coaches met in Tunica before training camp began for a retreat to discuss how to make the team better.

"I've been thinking about how we can balance our lineup," Hollins said. "Everybody talks about how bad the bench is. We weren't getting anybody on the bench that was a true, pure scorer so I've always been trying to figure out what's best to do.

"O.J. is a good shooter and he does have a scoring mentality. When you put him with the (second) unit maybe they'll develop an identity."

So the Griz now have a new Sixth Man. Mayo came off the bench Wednesday in the Grizzlies' 105-84 victory over the Detroit Pistons. He'll be a reserve tonight when the Griz host the Golden State Warriors and until an unforeseen circumstance dictates a change.

Rookie guard Xavier Henry is the new starter at shooting guard; however, Hollins couldn't have been more clear about his rationale -- Henry didn't beat out Mayo for the job.

Both players are shooting less than 40 percent. Mayo remains a more established NBA scorer despite struggling through career lows in scoring average (13.6 ppg) and shooting percentage (.387).

"We'll play it out and see how it goes," Hollins said. "Hopefully, this is something that will twist us a little more."

By twist, Hollins likely means spinning in a direction that gets the Griz into the playoff hunt quickly and keeps them there. Hanging over the Griz this season is owner Michael Heisley's guarantee that Memphis would return to the postseason.

The Griz, off to a similar start as last season, are attempting to improve their bench scoring in a way like they tried with Allen Iverson a year ago. Mayo admittedly was taken aback when Hollins approached him about the idea. The pair sat down for a long discussion before Hollins informed the rest of the team.

Hollins challenged Mayo to take over games as a scorer and playmaker in the reserve role. Mayo, an 18-point-a-game scorer as a starter in his first two NBA seasons, called the perceived demotion "uncomfortable."

Mayo, though, promised he'll adjust.

"You just have to be patient and stay enthused," Mayo said. "I just want to help my team in any way possible."

Asked why Henry received the nod over Sam Young and Tony Allen, Hollins said he could overlook Henry's youth because of his overall ability. Hollins looks at Young (offense) and Allen (defense) as specialists.

"Xavier's played well enough that I'm comfortable having him out there," Hollins said. "I trust he can play in the minutes he's out there."

What Hollins is mostly counting on is Mayo making the most of the job he's being asked to do. The Griz can run more plays for Mayo with the second unit, making it so that he doesn't have to defer any longer. Mayo arguably has willingly made the most sacrifice of any player since Hollins arrived.

He has been afforded fewer shot opportunities with the arrival of Zach Randolph and the emergence of Rudy Gay as the team's dominant scorers. With point guard Mike Conley being asked to be more assertive on offense, Mayo often floated with the first team.

He stood along the perimeter not knowing where his shots would come and was relegated to being a spot-up shooter.

Mayo never complained through it all.

The hope is that he won't start and will accept being a backup that more than likely finishes games in the mold of other great players who dominate as reserves. Prime examples are San Antonio's Manu Ginobili, Detroit's Ben Gordon, Dallas' Jason Terry and Atlanta's Jamal Crawford -- reserves who could start for any team in the league.

Mayo appeared cooperative, judging by his body language Wednesday night. His jump shot was still a bit off the mark, but he found driving lanes to score and he generally looked aggressive.

"I just want it to be a winning decision," Mayo said.

The Griz are 2-0 with Mayo coming off the bench, including his stint as a reserve last Saturday for discipline because of tardiness.

After scoring nine points in 23 minutes during the Grizzlies' win Wednesday, Mayo guaranteed this: If he's disruptive moving forward, it'll only be to the opposing team.

"I won't do anything to bother this team," Mayo said, "because I'm definitely a team player."
Source

Call him overrated, but I don't know too many young guards that would accept coming off the bench after starting their first 177 games of their career for the betterment of the team.
pimp.gif

Hold the Mayo: Grizzlies guard accepts Hollins' decision to bring him off bench

The concept had been tossed around long before the Grizzlies played their 14th game of this regular season.

Coach Lionel Hollins acknowledged that moving O.J. Mayo to the bench was something his staff discussed in September. The Griz coaches met in Tunica before training camp began for a retreat to discuss how to make the team better.

"I've been thinking about how we can balance our lineup," Hollins said. "Everybody talks about how bad the bench is. We weren't getting anybody on the bench that was a true, pure scorer so I've always been trying to figure out what's best to do.

"O.J. is a good shooter and he does have a scoring mentality. When you put him with the (second) unit maybe they'll develop an identity."

So the Griz now have a new Sixth Man. Mayo came off the bench Wednesday in the Grizzlies' 105-84 victory over the Detroit Pistons. He'll be a reserve tonight when the Griz host the Golden State Warriors and until an unforeseen circumstance dictates a change.

Rookie guard Xavier Henry is the new starter at shooting guard; however, Hollins couldn't have been more clear about his rationale -- Henry didn't beat out Mayo for the job.

Both players are shooting less than 40 percent. Mayo remains a more established NBA scorer despite struggling through career lows in scoring average (13.6 ppg) and shooting percentage (.387).

"We'll play it out and see how it goes," Hollins said. "Hopefully, this is something that will twist us a little more."

By twist, Hollins likely means spinning in a direction that gets the Griz into the playoff hunt quickly and keeps them there. Hanging over the Griz this season is owner Michael Heisley's guarantee that Memphis would return to the postseason.

The Griz, off to a similar start as last season, are attempting to improve their bench scoring in a way like they tried with Allen Iverson a year ago. Mayo admittedly was taken aback when Hollins approached him about the idea. The pair sat down for a long discussion before Hollins informed the rest of the team.

Hollins challenged Mayo to take over games as a scorer and playmaker in the reserve role. Mayo, an 18-point-a-game scorer as a starter in his first two NBA seasons, called the perceived demotion "uncomfortable."

Mayo, though, promised he'll adjust.

"You just have to be patient and stay enthused," Mayo said. "I just want to help my team in any way possible."

Asked why Henry received the nod over Sam Young and Tony Allen, Hollins said he could overlook Henry's youth because of his overall ability. Hollins looks at Young (offense) and Allen (defense) as specialists.

"Xavier's played well enough that I'm comfortable having him out there," Hollins said. "I trust he can play in the minutes he's out there."

What Hollins is mostly counting on is Mayo making the most of the job he's being asked to do. The Griz can run more plays for Mayo with the second unit, making it so that he doesn't have to defer any longer. Mayo arguably has willingly made the most sacrifice of any player since Hollins arrived.

He has been afforded fewer shot opportunities with the arrival of Zach Randolph and the emergence of Rudy Gay as the team's dominant scorers. With point guard Mike Conley being asked to be more assertive on offense, Mayo often floated with the first team.

He stood along the perimeter not knowing where his shots would come and was relegated to being a spot-up shooter.

Mayo never complained through it all.

The hope is that he won't start and will accept being a backup that more than likely finishes games in the mold of other great players who dominate as reserves. Prime examples are San Antonio's Manu Ginobili, Detroit's Ben Gordon, Dallas' Jason Terry and Atlanta's Jamal Crawford -- reserves who could start for any team in the league.

Mayo appeared cooperative, judging by his body language Wednesday night. His jump shot was still a bit off the mark, but he found driving lanes to score and he generally looked aggressive.

"I just want it to be a winning decision," Mayo said.

The Griz are 2-0 with Mayo coming off the bench, including his stint as a reserve last Saturday for discipline because of tardiness.

After scoring nine points in 23 minutes during the Grizzlies' win Wednesday, Mayo guaranteed this: If he's disruptive moving forward, it'll only be to the opposing team.

"I won't do anything to bother this team," Mayo said, "because I'm definitely a team player."
Source

Call him overrated, but I don't know too many young guards that would accept coming off the bench after starting their first 177 games of their career for the betterment of the team.
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom