OFFICIAL 2010-2011 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD : VOL. MOST. ANTICIPATED. PLAYOFFS. EVER?

I think Dallas would want none of Memphis. Those boys are big and fast but with the way Dallas was shooting three today. Anything is possible in their favor right now

Perhaps more than anything, the notion that Pau Gasol can be this team's next great leader was swept away. His sudden and odd postseason disappearance was the most obvious reason for the Lakers' troubles, his fall completed Sunday when he scored 10 points while being pushed around by everyone but his coach, who thankfully refrained from hitting him for a second consecutive game.

"I have to learn from this," Gasol said. ''I have to learn that when something happens off the court, you have to keep it off the court."

He was referring to the report that he stopped talking to Bryant during the postseason because Bryant's wife, Vanessa, had contributed to the breakup of Gasol and his longtime girlfriend. Lakers fans will remember that Karl Malone once publicly accused Vanessa of interfering with his personal life in a similar fashion.

Whatever was happening, Bryant and Gasol haven't connected on the court in a month, and the Lakers have been lost without the strength of their fusion.

From Bill Plascke...

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

laugh.gif
Hope that's not true at all. Such a silly rumor, worse if true.

Kobe always having an uneasy relationship with his big men.

to what extent was kobe's police report used in shaq's divorce?

A couple of questions depending on who matches up with Dallas..

If Memphis advances, who stops Zbo? We all know no one can stop Dirk, but who on that team will stop Zbo? If they put Chandler on him, who guards Marc? Dirk? It would seem like a similar situation to the Spurs series.
If OKC advances, what are the chances of Ibaka limiting Dirk from scoring?

Also, which team playing style will benefit Dallas the most? OKC having more of a perimeter game, or Memphis having an inside/outside game?

I like our chances against Dallas. A lot depends on if we combine what we did well against the Spurs/Thunder and put them up against Dallas. We defended the 3 point line very well against the Spurs (an area that I thought they would kill us in). That will become very important vs. Dallas. The way we play the passing lanes may cause Dallas to get a bunch of turnovers as well from what I've seen in their two playoff series.

A lot is up in the air right now, but I just want a win tomorrow.

Not to discredit yall, but I personally think I more think it's who's on, and who's not.

For instance, Dirk and JET have been on. Tyson Chandler and for the most part (other than today), Peja wasn't.

Either way it's going to be tough. It's why I hate making predictions. Nothing ever plays out like you expect it.

Okay, sure, someone might have expected the Lakers to lose today, but by our bench outscoring their entire team?

That's what I mean, there are so many factors that go into the end-result of a game, it's really hard to say who's going tow in.

Sure, no one stopped Dirk vs LAL, but dare I say that our bench was the biggest advantage?

But yeah you need to worry about getting past OKC before yall think about us.

I kind of think OKC would be easier for us. Let KD get his, let Russ shoot from the outside, and the rest of that team? I'm comfortable with us trying to get past that. Grizzlies have too many X-Factors.

OKC vs. Dallas will be good. I think Ibaka will do a good job defending Dirk, and Marion will defend Durant well. Harden vs JET will be a good match-up as well, but I can't see anyone on the Mavs capable of staying with Westbrook.

Eff it, let's discuss.
laugh.gif

Without a ring, where does Kidd rank all-time?
With a ring, where does Kidd rank all-time?

Personally, I think Stockton and Magic are ahead of him. Isiah and Oscar too.

Is he top 5? Cousy and Frazier is great company.

Originally Posted by FullMetal

OKC vs. Dallas will be good. I think Ibaka will do a good job defending Dirk, and Marion will defend Durant well. Harden vs JET will be a good match-up as well, but I can't see anyone on the Mavs capable of staying with Westbrook.
Depends really if Westbrook stays a hero chucker, or slashes to the lane.

If he would just keep cutting, and slashing, they wouldn't lose. Ever.
laugh.gif

Peja
pimp.gif

Congrats to the Mavs and JA for sticking with the team.

But like I said when you brought up the Dirk vs KG idea, just wait for the off-season for that all-time ranking. Talking about the Mavs' future opponent is more relevant and interesting. 
laugh.gif

Not to discredit the Grizz (I do that a lot), but is Durant the only player left that might be able to annoy Dirk because he has the length and speed? Just trying to find that current version of Peja back in 00-04 and the Capt. Jack in 2007 to counter Dirk on defense. 
laugh.gif

Durant on Dirk would be a disaster.
laugh.gif

Until we see someone stop Dirk this post-season, he's unguardable.

I actually think someone who has a decent shot of guarding Dirk is Arthur.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Durant on Dirk would be a disaster.
laugh.gif

Until we see someone stop Dirk this post-season, he's unguardable.

I actually think someone who has a decent shot of guarding Dirk is Arthur.
I feel you.

LeBron on Dirk in the Finals.
pimp.gif

Kiddin.

i want phil jackson to come back and coach the heat. that would be so epic...

as for a ring changing the status of kidd i dont think it matters. i think level headed fans know greatness isnt measured by how many rings you got. mbenga and sasha have two rings and they are trash.

just look at john stockton. poor guy never got a ring...

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Personal opinion, even if they get him -- Dwight Howard is not turning back the clock with this core group by himself.

He increases their strengths and does nothing to strengthen their weaknesses. And I don't believe he is good enough to offset another year of age to the rest of the group. If Derek Fisher and Ron Artest are still starting next year, that's a big issue.

I highly doubt that Fish is the starting PG for the Lakers next year. As much praise as Kupchak has been getting for the big deals he has failed to grab pieces in the draft like a PG to develop for the future. Drafting Ebanks was good, but I don't know if he'll be ready to help next year. Cory Joseph would be a good grab at the end of the first if they have a 1st rounder this year.

If I remember correctly, during the regular season it was Z-Bo matched up with Chandler/Haywood and Gasol/Arthur matched up with Dirk. I'm sure I can get the games and re-watch them again to make sure.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Personal opinion, even if they get him -- Dwight Howard is not turning back the clock with this core group by himself.

He increases their strengths and does nothing to strengthen their weaknesses. And I don't believe he is good enough to offset another year of age to the rest of the group. If Derek Fisher and Ron Artest are still starting next year, that's a big issue.
Initially he will improve us greatly.  Loing term, it would depend, but in terms of next year and the year after, he would. 

Certainly wouldn't be the only move we could make and survive, at some point Ron and Fish need to move to the bench and become 15 minute a game type players. 

But, the thing Dwight gives us is health.  (barring the basketball Gods doing something to him)  But Bynum's knee being over our head all year every year causes issues.  Look at this year alone.  Pau was outstanding for the first month, then suddenly wore down.  39 minutes a night after 3 finals runs and he was donezo.  To help with that, LA then trades a pesky shooter/defender in a contract year PLUS our #1 pick for Joe friggin Smith, who does nothing the next 6 months.  All just to have "depth" in case Drew didn't come back 100%.  Those are moves you don't make with Dwight.  Sasha stays and maybe he add something, maybe he doesn't, but we don't give away a #1 for no reason either.  (only 2 of us on NT like Sasha, Nas and myself) 
laugh.gif

One thing I would despise though, another million missed free throws I'd have to suffer thru. 
sick.gif
  Then again, we just missed a million too, so maybe I won't even notice. 
laugh.gif
  However, seein Dwight take all those fouls, that means the rest of LA would then get free throws too, ie, Kobe and Gasol who are good enough shooters to make solid use of being in the bonus more. 

And lastly, I would love to see Dwight work with Gasol, or Kareem, or whoever else on developing his game.  Him and Gasol in practice every day would do both some good, imo. 

JapanAir21 wrote:
JPZx wrote:
Why the heck aren't you going OFF on CP right now? 
roll.gif

I remember at least half a thousand "Mavs/Playoffs" from him

Don't tell me you wanna be the better man. ENJOY THIS.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I respect the dude more than anyone on this board probably.
I don't deserve that kinda respect, come on man. 
laugh.gif

JapanAir21 wrote:

And to comment on the Bynum thing. I hope he's suspended about 5 games. I thought the LO foul was a foul, and just that. But I think the refs had to do that, to stop retaliation.
I agree.  I was sorta pissed they threw out LO, I knew it was an intentional foul, I knew he was frustrated, but his was an arm to arm shove.  A hard foul.  Call it flagrant is fine, no argument here, but to toss him, I didn't agree there.  The thing is, if that happened AFTER Bynum, then I would see the need to toss him, and then I would agree.  To keep it from escalating.  But it wasn't after, it was before.  So I didn't get that one.  Bynum obviously will be sitting a few next year, dumb @#$%. 
30t6p3b.gif

Kidd and Dirk can't be discussed legacy wise til this postseason is done.  Stuff like that isn't as simple as saying if ___ wins a ring.  3 years ago all I ever heard was Kobe never won without Shaq, then he did, then he did again, and yet here on page one, more people questioning his legacy.  And havin a good time doin it. 
laugh.gif
  Once the playoffs are over, I will have no prob goin over legacies on all the players that need to be examined.  Hell, we could start an entire thread for the offseason and do like the top 15 players right now in terms of finishing up their careers, and what their resumes are gonna look like when it's all said and done.  Might get messy, but eventually the trolls would go away and the diehards could do some work in there.  Just a thought. 

Originally Posted by CP1708

; Hell, we could start an entire thread for the offseason and do like the top 15 players right now in terms of finishing up their careers, and what their resumes are gonna look like when it's all said and done.  Might get messy, but eventually the trolls would go away and the diehards could do some work in there.  Just a thought. 

Or we couldn't and say we did.

Originally Posted by Beware The Underdog

Damn LA fans happy to have won a series this year???
eek.gif

Not a championship.....a series???
30t6p3b.gif

Where do you see a happy Laker fan you fraudulent fool?  I said at least we won a series, once again, MORE than the pathetic Spurs have done.  Like I been teachin you since you stepped thru here, LA always >>>>.the Spurs.  Something like 8 out of 11 years we've done more work than your boys, yet you still try to run your mouth like you belong or somethin. 

Now go get my fishin pole. 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom