OFFICIAL 2010-2011 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD : VOL. MOST. ANTICIPATED. PLAYOFFS. EVER?

not sure if serious
laugh.gif

Grizz are going to have + / -  $30 million next year tied to their 3 primary bigs in the rotation (ZBo, Marc & DA). 

Given the other contracts on the team and the luxury tax implications, bigs #4 and 5 are going to have to be on vet minimum or near vet minimum contracts. HH and Powe would come at that price. Unlikely that Oden would -- someone will pay more than the Grizz can to gamble on him.

Nonetheless, nice to be a desired destination.

Helps that Heisley's willingness to pay and the playoff wins makes our squad a good "leverage destination" (as opposed to a real one) for agents to use in negotiating.

Originally Posted by University of Nike

I feel betrayed by Oden's knees.

Exactly.
laugh.gif

How the hell could Oden feel betrayed by the Blazers?

Originally Posted by PMatic

I'm expecting the Blazers to extend a qualifying offer and match any reasonable contract to Oden. He'll probably get a contract like Kwame got from the Lakers. 3 years-$25 million or so.

Greg Oden isn't getting 3 years 25 mill under a new CBA.

Originally Posted by HOOD17

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Bomani Jones telling Lebron to stop moving his headband back on Around the Horn.

Yo I'm watching it on a delay and that %@#% had me dying Im happy somebody said it
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

I'm expecting the Blazers to extend a qualifying offer and match any reasonable contract to Oden. He'll probably get a contract like Kwame got from the Lakers. 3 years-$25 million or so.

THIS

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

THIS
Agreed, I should have prefaced my post by saying under this current CBA.

even under this one why would some pay that much for him? ya fine he is a 7 footer and the leauge lacks big men but he hasn't done one damn thing when heathly for him to get 25 million and you add in he is always hurt? i see him on 2 year deal max with the 1st year been the only guarantee.

Any GM that would give him 3 years 25 mill under this CBA needs to be fired
laugh.gif
. Dude hasn't even made it through a year unscathed.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

even under this one why would some pay that much for him? ya fine he is a 7 footer and the leauge lacks big men but he hasn't done one damn thing when heathly for him to get 25 million and you add in he is always hurt? i see him on 2 year deal max with the 1st year been the only guarantee.
You're telling me there's not a desperate team out there willing to throw $25 million at him? Granted he's been injury prone, when he did play he showed the ability to defend and rebound. Andrew Bynum showed potential for 30 games and got a $60 million contract.
laugh.gif

It's in play in this NBA market for centers.

I mean, it's 8 million dollars a year.  To me, that's well worth the risk.  And I know Oden's a bum.  But if he found a miracle way to play 20 minutes a night, or heaven forbid 25 minutes, block some shots, grad some rebounds just standin there, and that ain't bad. 
Perkins makes 7-8 mil, and he doesn't do a whole lot more than that.  Bynum at least is asked to defend and rebound but also score a little, Oden and Perk are worth 8 just boardin and D'in up. 

Benjamin Button betrayed us all. He has the limbs of a 90 year old but the mental toughness/maturity of a 8 year old.

On another note, does anyone else like the NBA on ABC/ESPN extended theme? I love the extended version, it makes the games seem more epic.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

If Oden gets 25M, Marc Gasol will get ______.

Somewhere around $50M
I agree with the Perk/Oden comparison. As long as the team isn't depending on Oden to be the starter. The less he plays, the less likely he gets hurt. If anybody needs to limit their minutes on Memphis, its Marc. Give him around 30 minutes a night to keep him healthy for the playoffs. I would like to see a Gasol/Oden lineup kinda like how we use to Gasol/Thabeet. 
laugh.gif

Since we're on the subject of Oden:
Who will have heartache at the end of the Greg Oden saga?

The more I think about Greg Oden, the more I worry he's going to someday smash the hearts of Trail Blazers fans.

On the day the big guy gave his exit interview with the team, Oden told me, "It's not their move, it's my move. Everyone says it's their move. I think it's my move."

Think on that.

Also, know that in the days after he said them, I spoke with NBA agents, general managers and other executives who said they're now watching the latest installment of Oden-Blazers soap opera with great interest.

The Blazers have until June 30 to make a one-year $8.8 million qualifying offer. That feels like a no-brainer. But it's what happens after that move that feels dicey. Because if Oden is miserable in Portland, and wants a change of scenery or a fresh start somewhere else, the No. 1 overall pick in 2007 could potentially agree to the one-year offer, do nothing else and become an unrestricted free agent by summer 2012.

Some fans worry that another team could make a big offer to Oden, forcing the Blazers to decide whether to match it. But that's what fans should want to happen – because it's the most likely way the Blazers can sign him to a long-term deal.

Team president Larry Miller said Thursday: "I'm not sure exactly what Greg meant by that unless he meant that it's his decision to work hard and do the things that he needs to do so that we're ready to sign him to the qualifying offer at the end of the season.

"If that's what he meant, it is his decision."

I'm pretty sure I know what Oden meant. He doesn't have to accept any deal other than the one-year qualifying offer.

What potentially losing him in the next 15 months means for the franchise is a bigger issue. Given that the Blazers whiffed on Michael Jordan and Kevin Durant, the notion that Oden might walk away and become successful somewhere else should make fans queasy.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]One general manager pointed out that Portland is one of the least diverse NBA cities. Another said, "I think the Blazers would have to make a financial offer that would make Oden go weak in the knees to keep him." I've heard four years and $40 million. I've also heard three years and $40 million. And so it appears that the decision ultimately won't belong to the Blazers.[/color]

Oden nailed this one.

It will soon be his choice.

The Blazers have the right to match offers or, if no one else steps forward, to make an offer of their own. Trouble is, Oden isn't under an obligation to sign an offer sheet. Given the potential of a lockout, and his continued rehabilitation, there's very little risk for Oden.

I've heard it said that the 7-foot center owes Portland for picking him. That he should grant the Blazers respect for seeing him through. After all, his four seasons have netted a total of 82 games played and loads of frustration. But the Blazers cast a significant blow here, embarrassing Oden by not granting him his rookie contract extension last October.

Oden became the first No. 1 overall selection since Kwame Brown to suffer that public humiliation. Portland figured this to be a shrewd business move. Wait, see if there's interest, and you can always lock him up long term. In this, the Blazers underestimated a key factor -- Camp Oden's damaged pride.

The guy has a rare NBA body. There won't be another player in the draft like him for some time. Given that I've been told that between 12 and 15 teams would love to explore how he'd fit, it becomes clear that Oden is going to have a lot to think about this summer, and maybe, next.

Oden will be in demand. Statistically, he might be the Blazers most productive player when he's healthy. He's an obvious difference maker on the defensive end – again – given that he's healthy.

Anyone who has seen Oden on the Blazers bench, or talked with him, or spent much time around him understands that his time in Portland hasn't been joyful. He's been injured, and frustrated, and he's become another in a list of franchise punchlines.

Maybe this isn't Portland's fault. Maybe it would have happened had Oden ended up in Oklahoma City or Atlanta. But it didn't. It happened here. Oden is here. And so you wonder as he heads back to Indiana for the summer how wonderful it feels having the skyline of such a dreary place in his rearview mirror.

Oden told me he bought a place here. After games, his uncle waits for him in a hallway outside the Blazers locker room. But I wonder today how connected he could feel to a place that has meant so little to him.

Portland? Great summers, yeah, kid?

Beyond the warm greeting that he received at Pioneer Courthouse Square upon his arrival in the summer of 2007, it's pretty much been a kick in the teeth. Blame Oden if you'd like. Tell him he owes the organization the courtesy of seeing this through. But then, look around the NBA and see how infrequently loyalty and success have a dance together.

What must Oden think of his time here? What are his loved ones telling him about this period of his life? If you were his good friend, what would you tell Oden about extending his career in a city where he's done little more than hobble around apologizing for being hurt?

I asked the Blazers president what he'd say.

Said Miller: "Look, big fella, keep working hard and doing the things you need to get back because you got a good situation here."

I wonder if it will be enough.
Link

and he's become another in a list of franchise punchlines
It's a long, but distinguished list. 
laugh.gif

Shouldn't they sort of be used to guys leaving and succeeding elsewhere tho? 

Drexler leaves, title
JR Rider leaves, title
Sheed leaves, title
J Oneal leaves, becomes an all star
Zach leaves, closing in on all star

I mean, God damn, if the writing ain't on that wall, I dunno what is. 

Originally Posted by CP1708

and he's become another in a list of franchise punchlines
It's a long, but distinguished list. 
laugh.gif

Shouldn't they sort of be used to guys leaving and succeeding elsewhere tho? 

Drexler leaves, title
JR Rider leaves, title
Sheed leaves, title
J Oneal leaves, becomes an all star
Zach leaves, closing in on all star

I mean, God damn, if the writing ain't on that wall, I dunno what is. 

a5536e6c6b3caa2679d080b50b1dc8ccd8d474aa_r.gif

Back
Top Bottom