|||--- OFFICIAL 2009 NHL OFF-SEASON THREAD.....BOSTON BRUINS TRADE PHIL KESSEL TO TORONTO ---|||

I'm not even that mad at the contract because I feel we had to do something like this in order to get better. Kessel isn't worth over $5 million RIGHTNOW, but hopefully he can come in and help this team and earn some of that $$
laugh.gif

Carlos........I see your point in that building for the future requires drafting in the 1st round, 2nd round etc........but think about it this way, if theLeafs do well this season and next season, those 1st round draft picks may not be a very high pick. I think it's a bit unfair to say that the Bruins rapedBurke, because nobody knows who the Bruins will pick with those 2 first rounders. The 2 1st rounders we gave them may end up being busts or just averageplayers. How do you know that those 2 picks are going to be better than Kessel? Everyone I've spoken to has actually co-signed Burke in pursuing Kessel andgiving up two 1st rounders which is a bit surprising to me
laugh.gif

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Congrats to the Bruins for raping Brian Burke in this deal. Kessel isn't worth 3+ draft picks. So much for building for the future. Burke is falling into the same trap as all the previous Leafs GMs who failed...sacrifice the future for immediate gain.
IMO the Leafs are actually in a good position in terms of young good prospects. Bozak, Kadri, Stalberg, Boyce, Brent, Kulemin, Tlusty, Hanson, andeven Dale Mitchell are all good young forwards that are trying to make our team. For defence we have guys like Jessse Blacker, Gunnarsson, and Mikus. Obviouslya team can always build and improve through the draft, but we're definitely in a good position with our prospects/young guys.

The Monster is only under contract for this year before becoming a restricted free agent next summer. He'll be backing up Toskala (who is a UFA this summerand probably wont get resigned by Burke).

yeah at the very least i expect him to get the bulk of the starts in the 2nd half but what are the chances he takes over before?

If Toskala has a good year this year Burke will re-sign him for his last contract I think.......Monster will get re-signed this year as well, we could onlysign him to a 1 year contract because of his age and the fact that he's a rookie.

Originally Posted by J1GOKU

yeah at the very least i expect him to get the bulk of the starts in the 2nd half but what are the chances he takes over before?
It really just depends on how well Toskala does......no one knows how long it'll be before Monster takes over the #1 spot if he does.

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

Bruins won the deal.... No way Phil Kessel is worth what the Leafs gave up.
I say no deal should be examined until a few years down the road.......2 or whatever. RIGHT NOW, the Bruins let go of Kessel for NOTHING, sowouldn't that mean the Leafs won the deal?
ohwell.gif
tongue.gif

Biron on Phaneuf
"From what I saw -- and it happened really fast -- but I saw Phaneuf kinda go up in the air," said Biron. "I'd like to see the replay on that but it definitely looked like feet went up and he came across head hunting and those kinds of hits are what the league is trying to take away from the game."

"If you're going to do that, at least respond to the challengers after that," said Biron. "I've never seen Scott Stevens back down to a fight after he hit a guy on the blue-line coming across. If you're going to play that way, then be the whole package and play that way, and that's where we had a big problem with that."
this is what came to mind
2ng78ua.jpg
roll.gif

Originally Posted by cquan05

It really just depends on how well Toskala does......no one knows how long it'll be before Monster takes over the #1 spot if he does.
Toskala's gotta be on a short leash though, so he'll probably get his shot sooner than later.

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

Bruins won the deal.... No way Phil Kessel is worth what the Leafs gave up.
the thing is...for bruins fans, we were as close to going all the way as we have been in SO long. and now, we lost our leading goal scorer, and wedidn't even replace him. it's not like, oh we got rid of our 35 goal guy and got a 20 goal guy. we got NOTHING in return for the next couple years. bythe time those draft picks that we got actually make it to the NHL, god knows what the rest of our team will be like.

like i get it, we werent going to sign him given the current roster. but you need to make it happen. if it means not signing derek morris, fine. i don'tunderstand how signing derek morris was more important than signing kessel. the whole point of trading aaron ward for someone who we already released was tofree up cap room. why that cap room wasn't used to ink kessel is beyond me. it's typical of the jacobs/oconnel regime. it sucks. you should have seenthe reaction at the bars tonight as the trade flashed across the bottom of the TVs. people were like great, prospects. last season the bruins were one marqueegoal scorer away from going deep...and now instead of obtaining one, we give up our biggest one.

ugh...thats my rant. im done. i really felt like the bruins and their mgmt were ready to take that next step. guess not.

"I've never seen Scott Stevens back down to a fight after he hit a guy on the blue-line coming across. If you're going to play that way, then be the whole package and play that way, and that's where we had a big problem with that."

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

According to Newsday, Dubinsky was originally looking for a 4-year, $16 million deal while the Rangers made a one-year qualifying offer of $522,500.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Dubinsky thought he was worth $4 million a year? Kessel at least puts points up on the board.
laugh.gif

Damn, Dubinsky really $$## the bed if he thought he was worth 4 mil a year and only got like 1.85 mil a year. Dude needs to get the production before thinkinghe's the next coming of Mark Messier.

Biron on Phaneuf
"From what I saw -- and it happened really fast -- but I saw Phaneuf kinda go up in the air," said Biron. "I'd like to see the replay on that but it definitely looked like feet went up and he came across head hunting and those kinds of hits are what the league is trying to take away from the game."

"If you're going to do that, at least respond to the challengers after that," said Biron. "I've never seen Scott Stevens back down to a fight after he hit a guy on the blue-line coming across. If you're going to play that way, then be the whole package and play that way, and that's where we had a big problem with that."
this is what came to mind
2ng78ua.jpg
roll.gif

I agree 100% with Biron...like I said before, the hit was clean...however, if you're gonna drop a guy like that you gotta expect someone to come over todrop the gloves....and you should be ready to go yourself. That's exactly why Phaneuf should NEVER be mentioned in the same breath as Scott Stevens.

*from the other night...I would have loved to see that Schenn/Carcillo fight get a little more steam. Schenn is gonna beast this year....

LMAO @ what Dubinsky was asking for... what a clown.

They should've just traded him... I wouldn't want somebody on my team if they don't want to be there. I hope he gets booed on Opening Night forbeing such a baby.

Back
Top Bottom