OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

Although I wish the dodgers could salvage at least a couple quality games from schmidt, I don't see it happeneing. Guys are not fooled by 85 mph fastballs.He doesn't have pin point location to get by with that. I think guys are just gonna sit back and wait for the fast ball. I hope I'm wrong and he provesto be helpful for the dodgers

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

Although I wish the dodgers could salvage at least a couple quality games from schmidt, I don't see it happeneing. Guys are not fooled by 85 mph fastballs. He doesn't have pin point location to get by with that. I think guys are just gonna sit back and wait for the fast ball. I hope I'm wrong and he proves to be helpful for the dodgers
So Schmidt's velocity was really 85mph tops or were you just exaggerating?

^ Why'd you edit your reply?
laugh.gif

Anyway, I saw what you said. Damn, 85mph only? Schmidt's eventually going to get rocked if that's the hardest he can throw.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

laugh.gif

Anyway, I saw what you said. Damn, 85mph only? Schmidt's eventually going to get rocked if that's the hardest he can throw.
ohwell.gif

laugh.gif
i didn't feel like making a new post, but yeah 85 tops.

[h2]Dodgers plan giveaway for Aug. 5[/h2]

Comment Email Print Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- The Dodgers are producing a poster with artwork depicting Manny Ramirez's pinch-hit grand slam that moved him within two of tying Lou Gehrig's career record.

The individually numbered posters will be given away to the first 20,000 fans attending the game against Milwaukee on Aug. 5.

Ramirez's slam propelled the Dodgers to a 6-2 victory over Cincinnati on Wednesday night, their 12th consecutive home win against the Reds. It was the 21st of Ramirez's career, leaving him trailing Gehrig.

The poster is the third in a series depicting great moments at Dodger Stadium this season. The first featured Orlando Hudson hitting for the cycle on opening day, and the second one depicted the Dodgers' nine walk-off victories in the first half.

I would not even consider trading Kershaw for Doc.

Anyway, does anyone know if they release more seats game day for the all you can eat section? I have a couple friends who are going but I slept on gettingtickets for Saturday and TM is out. Thanks fellas.

Originally Posted by sinser13

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

laugh.gif

ohwell.gif

laugh.gif
i didn't feel like making a new post, but yeah 85 tops.

[h2]Dodgers plan giveaway for Aug. 5[/h2]

Comment Email Print Associated Press

http://
LOS ANGELES -- The Dodgers are producing a poster with artwork depicting Manny Ramirez's pinch-hit grand slam that moved him within two of tying Lou Gehrig's career record.

The individually numbered posters will be given away to the first 20,000 fans attending the game against Milwaukee on Aug. 5.

Ramirez's slam propelled the Dodgers to a 6-2 victory over Cincinnati on Wednesday night, their 12th consecutive home win against the Reds. It was the 21st of Ramirez's career, leaving him trailing Gehrig.

The poster is the third in a series depicting great moments at Dodger Stadium this season. The first featured Orlando Hudson hitting for the cycle on opening day, and the second one depicted the Dodgers' nine walk-off victories in the first half.

included in my mini plan
smokin.gif

Here's a few pieces I just finished reading. Sit back and READ
laugh.gif

[h2]Why the Dodgers are the best team in the N.L[/h2]
smcneal.gif

Stan McNeal

Thursday, Jul. 23, 2009 - 12:01 p.m. ET

As the N.L. Central race continues to tighten, the Phillies and Dodgers continue to pull away from the competition in the N.L. East and N.L. West, respectively. In terms of wins and losses, the Dodgers have been atop the National League -- and the majors -- for most of the season, but the Phillies' recent charge has vaulted the defending world champions back into the debate about which team will reign supreme in the N.L. this season.

Chris Bahr says the defending-champion Phillies still are the team to beat, but Stan McNeal explains why the Dodgers are now the class of the N.L.:

With Manny Ramirez, the Dodgers are a circus. Without Ramirez, they are a bunch of mild-mannered guys enjoying big-league life. With or without their clown slugger, the Dodgers have the best team in the National League.

Yes, that includes the Phillies, the reigning World Series champions who overwhelmed L.A. in the NLCS last year and have been the league's hottest team of late.

While the two teams' lineups are very similar to last season's, L.A. is by far the more improved team. Four reasons why:

Confidence. This time last year, the Dodgers were three games under .500. Since then, they have the majors' best record. A 13-0 home start this season erased any lingering disappointment of their five-game loss to the Phillies last October. Going 29-21 while Ramirez served his drug suspension further buoyed their still young core. When the Dodgers reach October this year, their youngsters will benefit from their '08 experience -- when much of the team was in its first postseason.

article.jpeg

Casey Blake
A great offseason. The Dodgers were able to bring back Manny at their terms. They re-signed third baseman Casey Blake, whose professionalism offsets Manny's eccentricities. For a bargain price, they snatched second baseman Orlando Hudson, who has provided a big upgrade at what was their weakest position last October. They signed veteran catcher Brad Ausmus, one of the game's best handlers of pitchers, as a backup. They got another veteran free agent in utility infielder Mark Loretta. They took advantage of the troubled economy by adding Randy Wolf to their rotation.
A lineup with no holes. The Dodgers lead the N.L. in batting average and on-base percentage. They rank third in runs behind the Phillies and Rockies, but the difference in home parks plays a part in that. The Dodgers can play small ball -- they're second in the N.L. in stolen bases -- and with Manny back, they have plenty of power, too.

The league's best bullpen. The Dodgers' 3.19 ERA is the best in the majors. Closer Jonathan Broxton has not been perfect like the Phillies' Brad Lidge was last year, but Broxton is enjoying a far better 2009. He has a 2.82 ERA and leads all major league relievers in strikeouts (72) and opponents' batting average (.143). Lidge still is struggling, with six blown saves and a 7.20 ERA.

Look at the Dodgers this way: Their rotation ranks as their biggest concern, and it includes All-Star Chad Billingsley and a young lefty, Clayton Kershaw, who has a major league-best 0.63 ERA since June 16. Still, the Dodgers are shopping for a front-end starter. And if that turns out to be Roy Halladay or Cliff Lee, buy your tickets now because the circus will be playing deep into October in L.A.

Stan McNeal is a writer for Sporting News. E-mail him at [email protected].

[h1]L.A.'s success is depressing[/h1]

Bruce Jenkins, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/07/23/SP8918TSP1.DTL#ixzz0M9FoK54R

(07-23) 18:35 PDT -- The Bay Area will have its time, for these things always move in cycles, but if you're looking to get really annoyed these days, take a glance at the L.A. sports scene. While the Giants and Warriors struggle for long-sought credibility, the Dodgers and Lakers are all about sustaining a haughty, front-running mentality.
Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/07/23/SP8918TSP1.DTL#ixzz0M9Ff70AH

They hauled out the Manny Ramirez bobbleheads at Dodger Stadium on Wednesday night (as usual, it was a startling likeness, just as Spike Lee is a dead ringer for Bill Clinton), but after being hit on the hand by a pitch the previous night, Manny wasn't in the lineup or even able to take batting practice.

Emerging dramatically from the dugout as a pinch-hitter in the sixth inning, Ramirez saw one pitch and lined it into the left-field seats - that's right, the area known as Mannywood - for a grand slam. There was bedlam in the stands, fans pounding the front of their '99' jerseys and demanding two curtain calls from their hero.

(The band of moralizing curmudgeons grumbled and griped in the press box, oblivious to the fact that hometown fans - as was the case with Barry Bonds - will never boo a consummate entertainer.)

The Lakers find themselves in a different brand of soap opera, all about egos and wounded pride. They took a pretty big gamble in choosing Ron Artest over Trevor Ariza, figuring that the signing of Lamar Odom would be a formality, but in the wake of his dynamite playoff run, Odom suddenly feels he's among the elite players in the league.

He'll never be all that - not after spending most of his career on a roller coaster of attitude and performance - but he's making a big show of belittling the Lakers' contract offer, while checking out Miami and Dallas as possibilities.

In the end, Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher will browbeat Odom into the common-sense call: staying at home to win another title. As a collective sigh rings out from the north.

E-mail Bruce Jenkins at [email protected].

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/07/23/SP8918TSP1.DTL#ixzz0M9FYTcQi

[h1][/h1]
[h1]How We Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Manny[/h1]

Even Steven Spielberg would blush at last night's Hollywood moment at Dodger Stadium. Insert token "Mannywood" reference here.

We all saw the clip. Manny comes off the bench for a pinch hit and Chavez Ravine explodes like a 1980s WWF crowd hearing Hulk Hogan's "I Am A Real American" music. Then LA's dread-locked hero delivered the big slam, a grand slam, to put the Dodgers up 6-2.

Vin Scully told reporters that was the loudest he's heard Dodger Stadium in 20 years. Essentially, last night was the most electrifying moment in Dodger history since the Kirk Gibson home run. Who among us is qualified to argue with Vin Scully over anything Dodger-related?

There is definitely a greater issue here.

Other faces of the steroid era have been crucified by the media. And they've certainly tried to do it with Manny. The Jay Mariotti's and Skip Bayless' of the world were tripping over each other to point their fingers like nuns in a Catholic school.

Even LA's own Bill Plaschke played the moral police, Tweeting that Manny should not be allowed to pick up a bat during his suspension.

I wonder if Plaschke threw a party when Manny got pegged by a pitch two nights ago out of some misplaced sense of karma. Since Plashcke climbed his tower of judgement, comment forums lit up with Dodger fans boycotting Plashcke's columns.

Dodger fans have made it clear they simply do not care. At the end of the day, is sports not supposed to be about the fans? If the Dodgers don't care, if the fans don't care, why should aging sports writers who have completely lost touch with the public care?

In the court of public opinion, Manny has somehow landed higher than any other player convicted of performance enhancing drugs. How did he do it? Well, to embrace an old cliche, it was simply a case of "Manny being Manny."

Yes we're all tired of that phrase, but it applies so perfectly to the situation.

With Clemens, Bonds and A-Rod, they gave the media something to dissect. Their soundbites and denial only tantalized the frothing dogs that are the sports media.

Manny, as usual, escaped into his private little world. The most he said was "it's not like I killed or raped anyone" and then he went about his business. Somehow, and much to Bill Plaschke's chagrin, life managed to go on.

I realize the irony of criticizing the sports media through a sports media outlet, but it's 2009 and that's just how it goes. In the Twitter era, everyone has an avenue for expression.

Formerly a one-way street, media distribution and consumption is now a crowded highway. The print media dinosaurs may not like to hear it, but the aforementioned comment forums are just as important to the process as the articles themselves.

Now, fans are allowed to bite back quicker than a letter to the editor. And thanks to that the fans message on Manny has been clear "Enough already. Let's just watch some damn baseball."

What has been lost in the Manny demonizing is the play of the Dodgers. They've had the best record in baseball all year, playing just as well without Manny as they did with him.

So as long as he's bringing Dodger fans to their feet, even old school Joe Torre can look past some past use of performance enhancers. We are at the edge of a tainted era and it would be a lot easier for all of us if we just accepted that and moved on.

The other question is, where does this leave Manny's legacy?

His Hall of Fame fate is in the hands of sports writers, and luckily the highly politicized Baseball Writers Association of America finally let in Keith Law and Rob Neyer.

Not saying they'll vote for Manny, but their modernized approach to baseball writing will inject some new blood and help clear the stuffy, conservative air created by the older baseball writers who initially opposed the wild card.

No matter what happens with the Hall of Fame, Manny will go down as one of the most polarizing figures in sports history. Polarizing is an easy term to apply but it couldn't fit Manny any better.

Like a bad breakup, Boston fans will be bitter but secretly remember all the good times they had with Manny. His home run against the Angels in the 2007 ALDS will be remembered in the pantheon of great Boston sports moments, as will his ill-conceived attempt to cut off a throw from Johnny Damon. But that's just how it goes with Manny.

If the Dodgers win the World Series this year, Manny will springboard above Kobe in terms of LA love. If he doesn't, at least fans will know that, unlike Kobe, Manny's personality is not even the least bit contrived.

One thing that cannot be lost is Manny's approach at the plate. His vision, his hands, and his reputation for being a batting cage rat cannot be understated. In other words, he did all the things that steroids really would not have helped anyways.

So is there a quick, easy answer to where Manny fits in history and what this all means to the integrity of baseball? No, only time will tell on that.

One thing is true though, if Barry Bonds is the king of the steroid era, then Manny is the court jester. Odd, questionable, but in the end you cant help but like him a little. He keeps the fans smiling, and if you don't think that's a good thing then you might as well just give up on sports all together.

[h3]Kershaw's acceleration a marvel[/h3]Southpaw has allowed just three runs in past 42 2/3 innings
LOS ANGELES -- Dodgers left-hander Clayton Kershaw sat back in a leather chair on Monday afternoon, eyes fixated on a small laptop.

On the screen was footage of the Marlins from a game earlier this season against the Giants' Barry Zito. Kershaw chose this clip because he's curious to know how the Marlins stacked their lineup against a fellow southpaw and where the hitters stood in the batter's box.

Any bit of information would help him prepare for his Friday start against the Marlins, and Kershaw digested each sequence with youthful ease.

You see, everything with Kershaw moves fast. No need to rewind, no need to waste time. Five minutes, more or less, should do the job.

"Short and sweet," Kershaw said.

One second Zito goes into his windup on a 3-2 count, and the next thing you know it's popped up and falls to rest in a fielder's mitt. It's chaos to the untrained eye, but within a second Kershaw internalized how Zito had the confidence to throw a breaking ball in that situation.

But what else would you expect from a 21-year-old to whom everything occurs at an accelerated rate?

His fastball is one of the liveliest in the National League. His call to the Majors came when he was just 20. And now he's on the cusp of putting it all together during his first full-season with the Dodgers.

In his last seven starts dating back to June 16, Kershaw (8-5) has allowed only three runs in 42 2/3 innings, dropping his ERA from 4.50 to 2.95.

Dodgers manager Joe Torre said that the key for Kershaw of late has been that, "the changeup has been a better pitch for him."

Getting that pitch to hit the strike zone on a consistent basis frees up Kershaw's fastball and a curveball that Torre calls Koufax-like. Plus the changeup adds another dimension to a pitcher who last season would just try to power through all of his problems on the diamond.

"That's been a big part of it for me," Kershaw said. "Last year when I got into trouble I wanted to throw hard, hard and harder, and just get out of the inning. I've kind of found out that when I do get into trouble, that when I do have people on base, sometimes the best thing is to throw a little bit more off-speed, back off a little bit."

That evolved mindset is all a part of the maturation process that every young pitcher endures in order to be successful in the Majors.

Part of that process is as simple as just gaining more time on the mound. Each start offers a new challenge and a new opportunity to learn how to attack big league hitters.

And the more a pitcher goes out and does it with success, the more confidence he has the next time he takes the mound.

"He's been throwing really well lately," fellow starter Chad Billingsley said. "It seems like he's coming along great."

"He's only allowed like three runs in his past seven starts. He's throwing well."

And as Kershaw takes an expected path toward a spot among the elite pitchers in baseball, there's another thing that Torre brings up when talking about his young hurler: pitching to contact.

Torre describes it as taking "your foot off the accelerator" and to try "to get people to swing at stuff."

Catcher Russell Martin said that, "It's not trying to just blow by people all the time."

But bring up the term to Kershaw, and he reacts as if one just uttered baseball blasphemy.

"Yeah, I don't like that phrase," Kershaw said. "I'm not trying to let them hit it, obviously. I'm not trying to strike everybody out. All I really try to do is whatever hitter gets in there, I just try to get him out in as few pitches as possible.

"A line drive to the warning track on one pitch, I'll take that over a strikeout any day."

Efficiency on the mound is something that the Dodgers hope to see more of as the season progresses. Too many of Kershaw's outings have ended early because of long innings plagued by walked batters. The current stretch of seven starts with only three combined runs allowed, also features 21 total walks -- averaging three per game.

Because of the Dodgers' hesitancy to let him run up his pitch count (112 on May 17 is his season-high), those walks keep Kershaw from consistently lasting deep into games.

Not that Torre is lamenting about lost innings. He's content with staying the course with Kershaw to make sure that his arm isn't burnt out come postseason play.

"We still have to keep in mind whatever we save now is going to help us in October if we're lucky enough to get there," Torre said. "I think last year he threw about 170-something innings. Sure, we want him to increase that, but we don't want him to increase it by a great deal at this point."

And the Dodgers have good cause to protect Kershaw's left arm, considering how delicately it's intertwined into the Dodgers' World Series hopes.

After all, this is a player deemed untouchable in trade discussions for Toronto ace Roy Halladay.

Acquiring Halladay would give Los Angeles the type of front-line starter that could lead a team to the World Series. But the prospect of losing Kershaw appears to be too much for the Dodgers.

"It's a compliment," said Kershaw about the trade rumors. "I'm glad that another team wants me to begin with, and I'm glad this team cares enough about me to protect me."

This isn't the first time Kershaw says that his name has appeared in trade talks. It's been an annual occurrence for him since becoming part of the organization in 2006.

But at the rate in which Kershaw is evolving on the mound, there's a decent chance that this year could be the last time his name pops up in trade talks with the Dodgers.

He isn't going anywhere.

logo_la_79x76.jpg
pr_header.gif

07/23/2009 8:49 PM ET

Los Angeles Dodgers Minor League Report

LOS ANGELES -- The Dodgers' minor league report is a weekly window into the Dodgers' minor league system, with updated standings, league leaders, team and individual player stats, and the latest team and player news. Player bios can be found in the Player Development section of the Dodgers' Guide (Pages 411-478).
Triple-A Albuquerque Isotopes
Pacific Coast League American South Division
51-46, 1st Place, 1.5 Games Ahead

NO RELATION TO BOBBY: INF Tony Abreu has a 14-game hitting streak, batting .431 (25-for-58) with four homers and 22 RBI...on Sunday, the 24-year-old went 4-for-6 with a triple, a solo home run, and six RBI to lead the Isotopes past New Orleans (Marlins) 17-8...the Dominican Republic native is batting .571 (15-for-29) with two homer and 13 RBI in seven games since the July 15 All-Star Game.

CARLOS CALL: RHP Carlos Alvarado ranks second in the Pacific Coast League with 104 strikeouts...he is 2-1 with 19 strikeouts and a 2.00 ERA (4 ER/18.0 IP) in three July starts...the 31-year-old spent the 2008 season with Triple-A Salt Lake (Angels), going 7-5 with a 4.27 ERA (62 ER/130.2 IP)...he was signed by the Dodgers as a minor league free agent on March 22.

HU'S ON FIRST: INF Chin-lung Hu leads the team with 91 hits...the 25-year-old is batting .302 (54-for-179) in 46 games since the start of June...overall, the Taiwan native is batting .266 with two homers and 38 RBI in 90 games.
Double-A Chattanooga Lookouts
Southern League North Division
Second Half: 14-13, 2nd Place, 2.0 Games Back
First Half: 30-39, 4th Place, 8.0 Games Back
LUCAS AT HIM - C Lucas May is batting .325 (13-for-40) with five doubles, a homer, and nine RBI in 12 games since returning from the disabled list...he had been on the DL from May 21-July 2 with a broken right wrist...May, a 2009 Southern League All-Star, is batting .306 with five homers and 20 RBI in 39 games overall.

CHECK THE VECTOR, VICTOR - LHP Victor Garate has tossed 16.2 consecutive scoreless innings over his last 16 appearances, lowering his ERA to 1.96 from 3.60...the 24-year-old Venezuelan has given up only six hits while striking out 16 in that span...Garate, who was selected by the Dodgers in the minor league phase of the 2007 Rule 5 Draft, is limiting left-handed hitters to a .222 average (10-for-45).

KENDY A HAND - RHP Kendy Batista has tossed 13.1consecutive scoreless innings over his last seven games (one start)...the 28-year-old Venezuela native threw 5.0 scoreless innings of one-hit ball yesterday vs. Mobile (Rays), and is 5-0 with a 1.85 ERA in 12 games (four starts) overall...Bautista signed with the Dodgers as a minor league free agent on April 13 after being release by Texas on April 2.

THE FRANCISCO TREAT - RHP Francisco Felix has allowed just one earned run (two overall) in his last 10.0 innings of work (six games) beginning June 29...the 25-year-old is 3-2 with two saves and a 3.04 ERA in 28 games overall (two starts)...Felix was signed by the Dodgers as a non-drafted free agent in February 2003.
Single-A Inland Empire 66ers
California League South Division
Second Half: 14-13, 1st Place, 0.5 Game Ahead
First Half: 32-38, 3rd Place, 11.0 Games Back
TRAY-FECTA: CF Trayvon Robinson leads the California League with 31 stolen bases and is tied for sixth in the league with 26 doubles...the 21-year-old is batting .400 (16-40) with a homer and four RBI over his last 10 games...overall, he is batting .308 with 12 homers and 45 RBI in 96 games.

HOT LARA: SS Christian Lara is batting .371 (13-for-35) with two homers and five RBI in his last 10 games...after a rough April, the 24-year-old has batted .298 (62-for-208) in 61 games...the Venezuelan native was acquired in a trade last season with Houston and batted .256 with a homer and 43 RBI in 106 games with California League rival Lancaster and the 66ers.

EVEN STEVEN: 1B Steven Caseres is batting .325 (13-for-40) with six RBI in his last 10 games...overall, the New York native is batting .296 with 11 homers and 35 RBI in 80 games.
Single-A Great Lakes Loons
Midwest League Eastern Division
Second Half: 12-12, 3rd Place, 8.5 Games Back
First Half: 40-30, 3rd Place, 5.0 Games Back
THE DEE CLUB - SS Dee Gordon, the Dodgers' No. 7 prospect according to Baseball America, leads the Midwest League with 51 stolen bases, nine more than his closest competitor...he also leads the circuit with 112 hits, eight more than his closest challenger...Gordon, 21, leads the ML with 69 runs scored as well...the left-handed hitter, who was a mid-season Midwest League All-Star, was selected by the Dodgers in the fourth round of the 2008 draft.
BUSS STOP - CF Nick Buss has 18 RBI in 19 games in July, including 12 in his last 10 contests...the 22-year-old USC alum ranks third on the team with 49 RBI, trailing Kyle Russell's 68 and Jaime Pedroza's 56...Buss, a left-handed hitter, is batting .266 in 69 games...he was selected by the Dodgers in the eighth round of the 2008 draft.

AND THE TONY GOES TO - C Tony Delmonico is batting .406 (12-for-32) with five walks and seven runs scored in his last nine games to raise his average to .273 from .262...the Dodgers' sixth-round selection of the 2008 draft is batting .313 (21-for-67) in 19 games in July after hitting just .224 (15-for-67) in 19 games in June.

NO BLEMISH FOR BLEVINS - RHP Bobby Blevins has a 1.98 ERA (11 ER/50.0 IP) in eight starts since the beginning of June, lowering his season ERA to 3.95 from 6.00...he is 7-7 in 18 starts overall...the 24-year-old was selected by Los Angeles in the 13th round of the 2007 draft.

IRON NATE - RHP Nate Eovaldi has a 0.84 ERA (4 ER/42.2 IP) in his last 10 games (four starts), lowering his season ERA to 3.50 from 7.36...the Dodgers' 11th-round selection from the 2008 draft has allowed just one home run in his 69.0 innings of work overall...the 19-year-old is the Dodgers' No. 10 prospect according to Baseball America.

ST. CLAIR IS A BEAR - LHP Cole St. Clair has tossed 6.2 consecutive scoreless innings over his last six games...the Foothill High School (Santa Ana) grad is 3-0 with a 2.66 ERA in 16 games...he is 6-for-6 in save opportunities...the 22-year-old has 30 strikeouts in 20.1 innings, an average of 13.3 punchouts per nine innings...the Dodgers selected St. Clair in the seventh round of the 2008 draft.
Rookie-advanced Ogden Raptors
Pioneer League South Division
16-11, 2nd Place, 1.0 Game Back
SANDS-ATIONAL: OF Jerry Sands leads the Pioneer League with a .393 average, is tied for the league lead with nine homers, and ranks second with 26 RBI...the 21-year-old has hit safely in eight straight games, batting .394 (13-for-33) with three homers and six RBI...the North Carolina native was selected in the 25th round of the 2008 draft and spent the 2008 season with the Gulf Coast League Dodgers.

SWEPT UNDER THE RUGGIANO: INF Brian Ruggiano is batting .373 (19-for-51) with three homers and 10 RBI in 12 games since being promoted from the Rookie-level Arizona League Dodgers on July 5...the 23-year-old has hit safely in each of his last seven games, batting .394 (13-for-43) with two homers and five RBI during that span...he was selected in the 23rd round of the 2008 draft and spent last season with Ogden, batting .241 with two homers and 21 RBI in 46 games.

HE AMES HIGH: RHP Steven Ames has allowed two runs while striking out 18 in 11.2 innings (1.54 ERA) in six games...the 21-year-old was drafted in the 17th round of the 2009 draft out of Gonzaga University.
Rookie-level Arizona League Dodgers
Arizona League West Division
12-14, Tied for 4th Place, 4.0 Games Back
AKINS BREAKY HEART - LF Nick Akins, the Dodgers' 19th-round pick in the 2009 draft, is batting .363 with nine doubles, three homers, and 19 RBI in his first 21 pro games...he is 9-for-21 (.429) with runners in scoring position.
Dominican Summer League Dodgers
Dominican Summer League B.C. North Division
19-26, Tied for 8th Place, 13.0 Games Back
CAN YOU SEE JOSE? - RHP Jose Dominguez is 4-1 with a 1.44 ERA (4 ER/25.0 IP) in his last five starts after going 0-1 with a 5.02 ERA (8 ER/14.1 IP) in his first four starts...the 18-year-old signed with the Dodgers as a non-drafted free agent in July 2007.

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

I didn't get my bobblehead either, but what I did see was scandalous, I saw those teenage dudes that hand out the bobbleheads, take off with 2-3 boxes full of them near the entrance where I was waiting. Shady.

What's up with that IronMan?
These kids need to get a back round check beforehand.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

And it's not the first time it's happened, I know that for sure.

That's why I didn't get my bobblehead.
laugh.gif

I know who you are talking about, 'cause I caught them,
laugh.gif
. Hit themwith the "Hey where you going?". They dropped the bobbleheads and booked it. Those kids are from an inner city school, my high school's rival(
laugh.gif
). The groups that volunteer to do giveaways are usually high schoolkids. Most are good, but you always have a couple of knuckleheads, which is expected when dealing with a bunch of 14-18 year olds. They had a total of about20 bobbleheads in those two boxes, they put trash on top of the first layer of bobbles, and then put empty boxes on top to stash them away,
laugh.gif
. Can't knock the hustle, but they got busted and the Manny's weretaken to Guest Relations.

If you didn't get a bobble head, I'm sorry, but I don't feel bad. It was a crazy $+$ night, my phone was even acting crazy when I was trying toget in touch with 562. The giveaway is for the first 50,000 that enter through the gates. This is the only giveaway where there was more than the announcednumber, we put out 53,000. Every gate ran out at the same time. It happens, I told all of my friends to get there early 'cause it was going to be a zoo.

If 562 got one and he got there in the 3rd inning, well, you must have been really late...
laugh.gif

I'm sure ironman has some stashed away somewhere
nerd.gif

I'm sure Ironman got away with a few BH.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
I'm picturing you sneaking out with a box.
roll.gif

roll.gif

I missed Dre's Dinger (
laugh.gif
) too. Too busy running around and **%$. Idid catch Manny's HR. Saw him on deck and was: "%%%+ that, I'm watching this". The pitching change bought me some time. The sound of thebat and the roar of the crowd....
eek.gif
. Like I told 562, I was two feet awayfrom Bill Plaschke in the Press Box.

His reaction:

6jg9zr.jpg

How he wanted to react:

wj991t.jpg

Manny's Grand Slam last night was such a great moment, that Plaschke couldn't find anything negative to write about,
laugh.gif
. Surprised he didn't have a column, he probably called Helene Elliot(Usually writes about obscure sports and the LA Kings) to tell her the column is all hers,
laugh.gif

Manny's Grand Slam last night was such a great moment, that Plaschke couldn't find anything negative to write about,
laugh.gif
. Surprised he didn't have a column, he probably called Helene Elliot (Usually writes about obscure sports and the LA Kings) to tell her the column is all hers,
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
dude as I was reading the LAT articles prior to making my post, I was checking for him. Apparently he has the 24 hour flu or something ,maybe i'm just blind, because he's nowhere to be found
smh.gif

Wish I could've seen his reaction. Crap @!# writer ...

Bill Plaschke:

[h1]Dodgers' top homers leave previous memories[/h1]

48251633.jpg

Email Picture

Rusty Kennedy / Associated Press; Alex Gallardo / Los Angeles Times

Kurt Gibson, left, celebrates after hitting a game-winning, two-run home run in Game 1 of the 1988 World Series against the Oakland Athletics. Steve Finley reacts after hitting a game-winning grand slam in the bottom of the ninth inning against the San Francisco Giants in 2004 to give the Dodgers their first postseason berth in eight years.

Where does Manny's shot rank among the 10 greatest Dodgers homers ever?

Bill Plaschke
July 24, 2009
The chills were pure Gibson.

The breathlessness was all Finley.
In the history of the Dodgers' Hollywood homers, the blast was a little bit of each, lacking the history but equaling the histrionics.

Said Dodgers team historian Mark Langill: "It was the perfect storm of a great moment."

Said Dodgers center fielder Matt Kemp: "It just made you want to laugh and laugh."

It says here that Manny Ramirez's Bobblebomb Wednesday night was so powerful, it flew to the third spot on the list of Dodgers Hollywood homers, soaring past the unreal likes of Mike Scioscia and Rick Monday, landing just short of unimaginable Kirk Gibson and Steve Finley.

"It's too early to know the magnitude of what the Ramirez homer meant," Langill said. "But as far as one moment is concerned, it was off the charts."

There have been Dodgers homers that have meant more -- Monday in the 1981 playoffs against the Montreal Expos.

There have been Dodgers homers that have been more historic -- the four consecutive bombs to tie the score in the ninth inning against the San Diego Padres in 2006.

There have even been Dodgers homers from current players that have resulted in bigger wins -- James Loney's grand slam in last year's playoffs against the Chicago Cubs.

But only one other blast has spiked a higher instant fever, caused a louder instant cheer, created more immediate magic.

Nothing has been invented that can outrun Gibson's limping 1988 World Series shot. It will be difficult to see a bigger homer than Finley's invisible walk-off grand slam that gave the Dodgers the 2004 division title against the San Francisco Giants.

But Ramirez's homer in the sixth inning against the Cincinnati Reds Wednesday night ranks third for, oh, about five reasons.

Tie score. Pinch-hit. Grand slam. Into Mannywood. On Manny Ramirez Bobblehead Doll Night.

You know what? Here's five more.

No batting practice. Sore left hand. Unknown pitcher. Ninety-six on the gun. First pitch.

Had enough?

How about this?

It was only the fourth pinch-hit in a 17-season career of a guy who has no idea how to do that.

"It was crazy, man, just crazy," Kemp said.

It was the first time in my 21 years covering the Dodgers that I have seen Dodger Stadium fans summon a player for two curtain calls.

The Dodgers' players joyfully engaged in a home-plate dogpile in the dugout.

And Juan Pierre, bless his heart, remained for several long minutes in the on-deck circle so everyone could finish cheering.

Watching all this from the press box, I'll admit, I got chills, and this doesn't mean I've suddenly become a big Manny Ramirez fan, because I haven't.

No, I didn't accept the team's offer of a bobblehead doll.

And yes, I still believe he is a cheat who has never truly admitted or shown remorse for his drug-policy violations.

But until proven otherwise, Wednesday's moment was created cleanly, and one should be able to appreciate it without buying into the man who created it.

I was often at odds with the once-surly Kirk Gibson, too, but that doesn't mean that I didn't embrace his one-legged wonder.

As the ball sailed into the left-field corner Wednesday, it was all about Manny Ramirez. But once it landed in the seats, it became about the Dodgers, the sum being bigger than some of its fractured parts, and worthy of the tingle.

The list of top 10 Hollywood Homers, in reverse order.

10 The Giants Lose The Pennant, The Giants Lose The. . . . The Giants Lose The Pennant, The Giants Lose The. . . . Mike Piazza hits two home runs on the final day of the 1993 season to knock the Giants out of the playoffs and clinch his Rookie of the Year award.

Poor babies.

9 Wrigleyville Blackout. . . . Wrigleyville Blackout. . . . James Loney hits a grand slam in the first game of the 2008 division series against the Chicago Cubs, silencing the Wrigley Field crowd, killing the Cubs' spirit, leading to a stunning three-game sweep and the Dodgers' first postseason series win in 20 years.

Great stadium, lousy fans.

8 The Fergie FlashThe Fergie Flash. . . . On the final Friday of the 1980 season, Joe Ferguson hits a 10th-inning walk-off homer against the Houston Astros to spur the Dodgers to a three-game sweep, forcing a one-game playoff against the Astros for the division title.

The homer is memorable as much for the trot as the swing, as Ferguson charged around the bases and tore off his helmet and eventually picked up Manager Tommy Lasorda near home plate.

Incidentally, Lasorda's weekend didn't end so well, as the Dodgers lost the one-game playoff against the Astros when he started Dave Goltz instead of this hot new kid named Fernando Valenzuela.

7 Gibby Before Gibby. . . . Gibby Before Gibby. . . . Gibson could never have pulled off his 1988 World Series heroics if Mike Scioscia didn't nearly equal that feat in Game 4 of the National League Championship series with a ninth-inning, two-run tying homer against New York Mets' ace Dwight Gooden.

You want Hollywood? Gooden was pitching a three-hitter at the time, and Scioscia only had three homers during the season.

You want fleeting? Here's guessing only a handful of Scioscia's current Angels have ever even heard of this home run.

6 Sweetest Of All. . . . Sweetest Of All. . . . Sweet Lou Johnson hit a homer for a lifetime, in the fourth inning of Game 7 of the 1965 World Series against the Minnesota Twins, giving Sandy Koufax all he needed in an eventual 2-0 victory.

Sweet Lou only had 48 homers in his career, yet that one shot gave him a cherished place in the Dodgers' family, where he still works today as a community affairs liaison.

5 Monday, MondayMonday, Monday. . . . Although he's known more for saving an American flag, don't forget the time Rick Monday saved a National League flag.

In the ninth inning of the deciding Game 5 of the National League Championship Series in Montreal, Monday went deep off Steve Rogers to give the Dodgers a 2-1 lead and the eventual victory, which later led to a World Series title.

This would have been ranked higher on the Hollywood meter, except the drama extended to the bottom of the ninth, when the Dodgers needed Bob Welch's one-pitch save with two runners on base to win it.

4 Four Plus One. . . . Four Plus One. . . . It was the first time in the history of Dodgers ninth innings that fans were fighting to get back into the stadium.

Of course you remember the four consecutive homers to tie the San Diego Padres, but do you remember the order? Jeff Kent, J.D. Drew, Russell Martin and Marlon Anderson, with the final two coming on the first two pitches from future Hall of Fame closer Trevor Hoffman.

The only thing more Hollywood occurred an one inning later, when the Dodgers won the game on a walk-off homer by a guy who initially couldn't play because of a sore leg, one Nomar Garciaparra.

3 BobblebombBobblebomb. . . . The last thing you need to know about the impact of Ramirez's home run is that, in the clubhouse afterward, Casey Blake was boogeying to a celebratory rap song. Yeah, Casey Blake.

2 Disappearing Act. . . . Disappearing Act. . . . I've still never seen the ball that Finley hit to win the division over the Giants on the second-to-last day of the 2004 season, have you?

I was there, I was watching, the hit disappeared into the sun above right-center field, Finley jumped up and down, the roar shook Chavez Ravine, I'll never forget the roar.

But I never saw that ball, and I wasn't alone, with Vin Scully memorably noting that wherever it was, whenever it came down, the Dodgers would be champions.

Of course, the Giants never saw it coming either, leading 3-0 entering the ninth inning before giving up seven Dodgers runs.

Poor babies.

1 Gibby Being Gibby. . . . Gibby Being Gibby. . . . More than two decades later, is the improbable becoming the impossible again?

[email protected]

twitter.com/BillPlaschke

laugh.gif
eat crow sucka.

[h2]Notebook: Dodgers are in the hunt for Jays' Halladay[/h2]
Sporting News staff reports
Friday, Jul. 24, 2009 - 1:18 a.m. ET

A day after getting whitewashed in Mark Buehrle's perfect game, the Tampa Bay Rays on Friday are scheduled to face another ace -- Roy Halladay of the Toronto Blue Jays.

The Rays aren't the only team studying Halladay, whose name is all over in trade rumors because the Jays fear they might lose him for nothing as a free agent after the 2010 season.

The Los Angeles Dodgers could be a destination, and the Los Angeles Times reported Jays scouts were at Dodger Stadium this week. When asked by reporters which players the Blue Jays were scouting, Dodgers GM Ned Colletti said, "We know who they have interest in."

According to the Times, the Dodgers do not plan to include pitcher Clayton Kershaw in any deal for Halladay and also consider minor league shortstop Devaris Gordon "all but untouchable."

The Dodgers are looking for a starting pitcher, and the Times says they have scouts watching Halladay and the Cleveland Indians' Cliff Lee. ...

If the Houston Astros are to continue their charge in the NL Central -- they enter action Friday having won 11 of their past 15 games, including a three-game sweep of the Cardinals this week -- they will have to do so without first Lance Berkman. Originally expected to miss a few games with a calf injury, Berkman, who pinch hit Wednesday, was placed on the disabled list Thursday. ...

The Philadelphia Phillies' bullpen took two hits Thursday, when pitchers Chad Durbin (back) and J.C. Romero (forearm) were placed on the disabled list. Both are key late-inning relievers used to set up closer Brad Lidge. Durbin is 1-2 with a 4.62 ERA in 42 games; Romero has a 2.87 ERA in 20 appearances.

Chicago Cubs lefthander Ted Lilly (knee) threw a side session without any problems and remains on track to start Saturday, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. In other Cubs news, the newspaper noted the third year of outfielder Milton Bradley's three-year, $30 million contract almost certainly will vest. A clause in his deal started Bradley couldn't spend more than 75 days on the disabled list this season, and there aren't 75 days remaining in the season. However, the third year won't kick in if Bradley ends this season on the disabled list and isn't ready to play by April 15 next season. ...

Though he might be several weeks away from helping the Chicago White Sox, pitcher Freddy Garcia (shoulder) told the Chicago Tribune he will begin a minor league rehab assignment Monday. Because of shoulder problems, Garcia has made 14 major league starts since 2007 and hasn't pitched in the majors this season. Pitching coach Don Cooper told the Tribune Garcia could make as many as four rehab starts. ...

Manny Corpas, who began the season as the Rockies' closer but has spent most of the season in a setup role, will have surgery Friday to remove bone chips from his pitching elbow, The Denver Post reports. Corpas could return in September. To improve their bullpen depth, the Rockies acquired Rafael Betancourt from the Indians for minor league pitcher Connor Graham on Thursday. Betancourt is 1-2 with a 3.52 ERA in 29 appearances this season.

Here's another article from SI, detailing Doc and Cliff and who's pursuing them and so on:
http://sportsillustrated....eyman/07/24/daily.scoop/

IRON MAN,

1st. I noticed those kids when I was trying to get some reception on my cell, trying to reach the guy who had my tickets inside.
They stashed the bobbleheads in the trash can because I saw when they were taking them out. Trying to be all sneaky and shhh, glad you caught them.
They were selling them for $10 each, but dammit that I didn't have any cash on me.
laugh.gif
mad.gif

I was so pissed, but then I witnessed the GS by Manny, and all was forgotten.

What a game.

PS, give up those bobbleheads you have stashed away
No seriously, what will it take?
laugh.gif

PM please
nerd.gif

Someone needs to know a legit barber around Hacienda Hts or Whittier?

Some !@%+$!% barber jacked up my hair, FML
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by bright nikes

indifferent.gif
That's the thing I hate about moving.

You ain't lying homie, but how hard is it to ask for a 2 all around / taper / line up
ohwell.gif
. Dude gave me like a crewcut.
mad.gif

[h1]http://kengurnick.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/07/colletti_on_halladay.html[/h1]
[h1]Colletti on Halladay[/h1]The price in players for Toronto ace Roy Halladay is "two or three players off our current club, including a young pitcher, or five or six prospects," Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti told KABC Radio Friday morning. Colletti wouldn't mention names, but presumably the young pitcher is either Clayton Kershaw or Chad Billingsley or Jonathan Broxton. Trading any of them would hardly improve the Dodgers' chances this year, not to mention the other player off the Major League club, not to mention the long term impact. However, a larger deal (or separate deal) could be made with Toronto that would return reliever and former Dodgers farmhand Jason Frasor, according to the Toronto Globe. Frasor would address the Dodgers' other need, a veteran reliever. -- Ken Gurnick

You ain't lying homie, but how hard is it to ask for a 2 all around / taper / line up
ohwell.gif
. Dude gave me like a crewcut.
mad.gif
laugh.gif

They should know better, it's not like you are going to a Supercuts. I'm sure you'll get the 411 on the good barbers around your way.

[h1]Colletti on Halladay[/h1]The price in players for Toronto ace Roy Halladay is "two or three players off our current club, including a young pitcher, or five or six prospects," Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti told KABC Radio Friday morning. Colletti wouldn't mention names, but presumably the young pitcher is either Clayton Kershaw or Chad Billingsley or Jonathan Broxton. Trading any of them would hardly improve the Dodgers' chances this year, not to mention the other player off the Major League club, not to mention the long term impact. However, a larger deal (or separate deal) could be made with Toronto that would return reliever and former Dodgers farmhand Jason Frasor, according to the Toronto Globe. Frasor would address the Dodgers' other need, a veteran reliever. -- Ken Gurnick
Sorry Toronto, no can do.

indifferent.gif

roll.gif
good luck man. You're gonna have to just do trial and error with diff barbers

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

6szxc4.png

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Damn Blake, you should be resting that shoulder, not bowling.
laugh.gif

I know BG and Matt Kemp are boys, both played ball in Oklahoma I think.

Anymore pics?

Back
Top Bottom