OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

Wait the Phillies signed Pedro for $1M (could earn up to $1.5M in incentives)

Damn, low risk / high reward for Philadelphia.

my thoughts exactly
smh.gif
smh.gif

Wait the Phillies signed Pedro for $1M (could earn up to $1.5M in incentives)

Damn, low risk / high reward for Philadelphia.
Yup. Then the Phillies quickly put him on the 15 day DL.
laugh.gif

Yes I'm bitter that the Dodgers didn't offer him a contract.

[h2]Time To Bring Up Jason Schmidt[/h2]
IMG_0108_tiny.jpg
by Eric Stephen on Jul 15, 2009 9:48 AM PDT in News
comment.v1599.png
6 comments

Now that Eric Milton has had season-ending back surgery, the Dodgers temporarily have a hole at the very end of their starting rotation. No, this is not a plea to acquire Roy Halladay -- although I would do it in a heartbeat if James McDonald was the only player from the major league roster traded -- but rather a look at just what exactly the Dodgers are replacing.

To date, the Dodgers' "fifth starters" have consisted of Eric Stults, Jeff Weaver, Milton, and McDonald. Those four pitchers have made a combined 23 starts this season. They have averaged only 4.58 innings per start, and have put up a 4.78 ERA and 1.585 WHIP. In those 23 starts, the starter pitched six innings or longer only once (the Eric Stults shutout of the Giants in May). So its not like this is some huge hole the Dodgers have to fill.

Ordinarily, I would want James McDonald to reclaim his starting spot, but for now let him continue to deliver from the bullpen, especially in light of recent injuries to Ronald Belisario and Jonathan Broxton.

Its time for the Dodgers to bring up Jason Schmidt. He has been rehabbing in Albuquerque since June 21, and in five starts he has put up a 3.94 ERA and 1.247 WHIP with the Isotopes. More importantly, he has been healthy enough to pitch every five days or so, which is a huge leap forward in Schmidt's comeback trail. Per the collective bargaining agreement, a rehabilitation assignment for a pitcher can last no more than 30 days, so the decision date is July 20. Barring another setback, that is the last day Schmidt can pitch on his rehabilitation assignment. That is also the next date the Dodgers will need a fifth starter, Monday night at home against the Reds.

We all know the story on Schmidt. He was damaged goods when he signed with the Dodgers, and for $47 million the Dodgers have received all of one win in almost three years. But Schmidt is no Andruw Jones. He has worked hard in his rehabilitation, when he just as easily could have thrown in the towel and collected his massive paychecks. I interviewed Schmidt after one of his rehab starts in San Bernardino earlier in the season, and what I saw was a driven athlete trying his hardest to get back to the majors, to help the club that gave him such a large contract.

Schmidt very well may fail in his comeback. In fact, its quite likely he will. But, given what the Dodgers have already thrown out there this season from the fifth starter spot, it can't hurt to give Schmidt a try. He's earned it.

Schmidt hasn't earned #@#@
sick.gif
indifferent.gif

[h3]Dodgers keep eye out for pitching help[/h3]Starter, late reliever could bolster LA's balanced team
[h4]Related Links[/h4]
By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com

07/15/09 12:00 PM ET

They lost their best hitter for 50 games and their Opening Day starter for another 50, yet the Dodgers hit the All-Star break with the best record in baseball.

The roster that general manager Ned Colletti has built, and manager Joe Torre has guided, probably represents the most balanced Dodgers team in a generation.

From a patient yet relentless lineup to a deep pitching staff to dependable defense and an experienced bench, this club spent most of the first half threatening to run away from the National League West.

On the other hand, it didn't run away. For the past month, the club has basically tread water, even with Manny Ramirez hitting home runs again and Hiroki Kuroda making starts every fifth day.

That's why Colletti is on his annual Trade Deadline search for pitching help. He will inquire about Toronto's Roy Halladay, even though that acquisition would require a package not only costly in young players (probably starting with left-hander Clayton Kershaw) but the kind of CC Sabathia mega-contract the club had no appetite for seven months ago.

Perhaps more important, the Dodgers want a seventh-inning reliever to replace injured workhorse Ronald Belisario, who has provided such a valuable bridge to Ramon Troncoso and closer Jonathan Broxton. Should Hong-Chih Kuo's left elbow cooperate, his return would be a bonus.

The Dodgers had three All-Stars (Chad Billingsley, Broxton and Orlando Hudson), but cases could have been made for 2009 All-Star Game Sprint Final Vote candidate Matt Kemp, Ramirez's replacement Juan Pierre and the steady Casey Blake at third base.

Club MVP: Traditionalists can't believe he's batting eighth, but it just shows how talented Kemp is. Offensively, he's added consistency to the tools package that scouts drool over. Sometimes overlooked, he's improved routes on fly balls and has become his pitcher's best friend by turning extra-base hits into outs.

Call him "Ace": There were doubts after his playoff debacle and an offseason broken leg, but an All-Star berth is pretty good proof that Billingsley succeeded. He did win 16 games last year, so it's not like he came out of nowhere. But he's learning the value of pitching to contact and lasting deeper into games, important signs of a staff leader.

Greatest strength: The 103-mph radar readings catch the eye, but Broxton also has become more than just a hard thrower. He's the latest in the line of Dodgers All-Star closers (most recently Takashi Saito and Eric Gagne) in a well-defined bullpen. Troncoso sets up, a revitalized Guillermo Mota has been lights out in the middle and Jeff Weaver a versatile swingman. However ...

Biggest problem: The injury to Belisario creates a concern. Cory Wade had an early-season shoulder injury, then was ineffective, and Kuo's elbow can't be trusted. So management isn't convinced it has a replacement for Belisario in-house.

Biggest surprise: Belisario had never pitched above Double-A in nine previous professional seasons and he was even sent out early in Spring Training. But he came out of nowhere to make the Opening Day roster and emerged as a workhorse with a darting mid-90s sinker. He'll be out at least a month with an elbow strain.

Team needs: In addition to a rubber-armed seventh-inning reliever, the Dodgers want to acquire a fifth starter along the lines of another Randy Wolf.

He said it: "Our theme is resiliency. I love the fact that we haven't lost three games in a row. That says it all. We believe in ourselves. We get contributions from so many guys. It goes back to winning our first 13 games at home. Joe and the staff have a lot to do with it. He reminds us before every series how good we are, but not to take anything for granted, too. He doesn't let us get complacent. He keeps us focused." -- Mark Loretta

Mark your calendar: The second-half Dodgers schedule looks easier than the first half. It starts with 10 games at home, where the Dodgers have the best mark in the league. The last trip in September is against three teams (Washington, Pittsburgh and San Diego) currently in last place in each division. They do have seven games against St. Louis (July 27-30 away, Aug. 17-19 home) and play a September stretch with 15 of 24 on the road.

Fearless second-half prediction: Ramirez will put up even better numbers after the break than he did after his trade last summer.

[h3]L.A. Story[/h3]
Manager Joe Torre's Dodgers rolled into the All-Star Game at a major league-best 56-32. It's the franchise's best record at the break since the Steve Garvey-Ron Cey-Dusty Baker team went 59-33 in 1977. That Dodger club went on to lose to the Yankees in six games in the World Series.

The Dodgers have yet to lose three straight games this season, and they've shown a flair for winning the close ones: They're 18-9 in one-run games and 9-2 in extra innings.

"We knew in spring training that we had a chance to be something special," said pitcher Chad Billingsley. "But there's a difference between wanting to win every time out and expecting to win. Having that attitude makes a huge difference."

Orlando Hudson and Casey Blake have been terrific, and Juan Pierre stepped in and gave the team a major lift during Manny Ramirez's suspension. James Loney takes an 11-game hitting streak into Thursday's game against Houston, and Matt Kemp is hitting .432 (16-for-37) in July.

Now general manager Ned Colletti will try to fortify the pitching staff at the trade deadline. Closer Jonathan Broxton recently got a cortisone shot in his right big toe, and set-up man Ronald Belisario is on the disabled list with irritation in his right elbow. The L.A. bullpen has already logged 302 innings -- second most in the majors -- so some guys out there are running on fumes.

[h1]Hooray for Mannywood: Ramirez set for LA return[/h1]
By SOLANGE REYNER, Associated Press Writer 14 hours, 34 minutes ago

• Buzz up!
  • [h5]Print[/h5]

LOS ANGELES (AP)-Mannywood is back. So is its tenant.

Manny Ramirez(notes) returns to Dodger Stadium on Thursday to play his first game there since being suspended, with fans expecting to embrace the slugger like they would any superstar.

Just don't expect the Dodgers to throw a party.

Besides reopening Mannywood-a section of seats in left field named in honor of the team's left fielder-the team isn't planning anything special for Ramirez, who was suspended 50 games for violating baseball's drug policy.

Ramirez made his return to the lineup on July 3 in San Diego, and now returns home as the Dodgers open a 10-game homestand against the Houston Astros on Thursday.

"We're keeping the focus on the team of which Manny is an integral part," said Charles Steinberg, the team's executive vice president.

[table][tr][td][size=-2]ADVERTISEMENT[/size]

[/td] [/tr][/table]
b

"We welcome him back with open arms, but we aren't glorifying his return. The magic of the return is the embrace from the fans that will see him again."

Fans flocked to San Diego to watch Ramirez, donning dreadlock wigs modeled after his signature hair style. And throughout his suspension, some in Los Angeles still wore Manny's No. 99 jersey and T-shirts that read "Free Manny."

Mike De Land, a graduate student at UCLA, has no problem welcoming Ramirez back.

"I support Manny 100 percent. I would buy tickets in Mannywood," De Land said.

"In some way, LA sports teams have been teams with superstars on them and they come with drama and that's just become part of the LA sports land. I knew he brought some drama with him, but he was one of the most exciting hitters in the American League and that proved to be true here. I think it would be fun to sit in the Manny section."

So what about his suspension?

"Manny is a human being like every other baseball player and there's probably a culture beneath the surface that we don't know about. I guess it didn't totally surprise me that he participated in something like that, but I was by no means ready to drop him. I feel like there's more that we don't know about with other players, too, that hasn't been reported," De Land said.

In nine games since his return, Ramirez is batting .379 with 11 hits and three home runs. The Dodgers didn't flail without their 12-time All Star, with Juan Pierre(notes) proving to be a key fill-in during Ramirez' time away.

Los Angeles went 29-21 in his absence, taking a seven-game lead in the NL West ahead of the San Francisco Giants.

"It was very tough having been on the sidelines for a long time, but the guys did a great job, they're professional players, they know how to play the game and I think everybody expected the team to be in first place and that's where we are right now," Ramirez said. "Juan did a great job, he also deserved to be an All-Star. He did a great job in the time that I was gone and I'm just happy he's on my team."

Dodgers manager Joe Torre was surprised with the first-half results.

"I think record wise, I'm probably surprised we are where we are, but when you watch the way these guys have played day in and day out, at times they look flat and then about the sixth inning, something happens and they're in there," Torre said.

"Teams have come back on us a number of times and we respond real well to that. Just the personality of this club has really been a positive for us."

Steinberg said there were a significant number of requests to bring Mannywood back. For $99, fans get Mannywood T-shirts and two tickets to sit in field level seats that are located on the fair side of the foul pole and closest to Ramirez' playing position.

"The gists of calls and e-mails were certainly supportive of reopening it," Steinberg said, stressing that the team wasn't willing to single out Ramirez any time in the near future besides a Manny bobblehead night on July 22 that had already been planned.

On Thursday, the first 20,000 fans who walk through the gates will get a collection poster of the "comeback kids," which celebrates the team's nine first-half walkoff wins.

anyone else going tomorrow?

should be a packed game. im sure friday will be too.

anyone want to meet up at the Short Stop Bar on sunday before the game? im lookin to start drinking at 11 to 1130am.. we can have a few drinks and walk up tothe game.

damn you're gonna drink for like 5-6 hours?
laugh.gif

I was about to buy some tickets but realized that my cheeks would probably be all puffy and swollen and wouldnt be a good look.

Originally Posted by eyegiantjackpot

anyone else going tomorrow?

should be a packed game. im sure friday will be too.

anyone want to meet up at the Short Stop Bar on sunday before the game? im lookin to start drinking at 11 to 1130am.. we can have a few drinks and walk up to the game.

i'll be out there Tomorrow.

field section 45
smokin.gif

Thinking about bringing the dreads out of retirement
pimp.gif

laugh.gif

I was about to buy some tickets but realized that my cheeks would probably be all puffy and swollen and wouldnt be a good look.
ill probably get wasted at the bar since its only 2 bucks a beer. then just clown around at the game and enjoy the sun. bring your puffy cheeks,we can hide beer in them..
wink.gif

anyone else watching the AAA all star game?

any isotopes playin? i cant find the roster.

edit:
our knuckle ball pitcher is throwin HEAGAR.. i wish they brought this dude up for a game.. he was in ST right?

edit again:
nope.. keep him down there..
laugh.gif

Tomorrow should be fun, finally some baseball
smokin.gif

Get there early and get your poster,
laugh.gif
. Actually, they are really nice,I don't know if any of you got the Orlando Hudson joint (
smokin.gif
). Iwant to get them signed and then framed.

It should be a packed house for Manny's return. I think they OD'ed on the "Mannywood" section,
laugh.gif
. they plastered it on the wall ( 99 MANNYWOOD 99). I'm sure Plaschke isgoing to have some kind words for it.

Time to make that second half push and pick up a reliever and a solid starter.

anyone want to meet up at the Short Stop Bar on sunday before the game? im lookin to start drinking at 11 to 1130am.. we can have a few drinks and walk up to the game.
That's crazy man. It is Thursday,
laugh.gif
. You are going tobe hammered.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

That's crazy man. It is Thursday,
laugh.gif
. You are going to be hammered.
tongue.gif

http://so****e.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/ironhide_facepalm.jpg

I thought you were talking about Thursday's game, then BN posed his "You are going to be drinking for 5-6 hours?" question and well....

my mistake
tongue.gif

BTW these guys are ready to roll.

I felt bad this morning, since Manny got locked out of the clubhouse and I couldn't get the key to access it,
laugh.gif

Manny & Co. showing up at 9am to work out on a day off....
smokin.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
beisbol back tomorrrow.

Belli is out for the rest of the month right?

We really need to add that reliever and starter.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

BTW these guys are ready to roll.

I felt bad this morning, since Manny got locked out of the clubhouse and I couldn't get the key to access it,
laugh.gif

Manny & Co. showing up at 9am to work out on a day off....
smokin.gif
that's
smokin.gif

Are the ASG fitteds at the stadium? Or do I have to resort to Lids?
smh.gif
smh.gif

Whatabout the special Los Dodgers day? Any updates?

laugh.gif

ill probably get wasted at the bar since its only 2 bucks a beer. then just clown around at the game and enjoy the sun. bring your puffy cheeks, we can hide beer in them..
wink.gif

ur going to die, been drunk and baking in the sun=DEATH
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom