OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

Sin when you coming back down?

Let's figure out a game we can all go too
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by bright nikes

Sin when you coming back down?

Let's figure out a game we can all go too
pimp.gif
September, taking my kid to disneyland. Is the weekend the giants are in town, i was thinking of going to the friday game.

who's down for the sept. game?

id wanna sit either field level or RF AYCE.

Let's get a roll call
pimp.gif

Ethier is tied for the league (or NL) grounding into double plays = 16.

What a @%%#$%# idiot, that was our best chance to get a hold of this game.

Randy givin up 3 straight singles, and Mota coming in to let 2 more runs come across.

Luckily wandy is out the game, let's see what we can get.

mad.gif

Did you guys just come back from the longest road trip of the season?
Couldn't believe Manny's first game back in LA was today.

just got home from that poop game..

guys looked flat at the plate..

on the fence about going tomorrow. ill let you guys know if i want to get rid of my tickets.

game was garbage.

Stupid #!@ brown people in the loge throwing seed shells ans posters down to the field.

Security didn't do #@+%.

Left after the 7th.

+%*% that.

I'm pissed.

terrible game. last 3 games i have been to have been terrible. im bad luck or something

BN i used the voucher tonight and ended up with infield reserve seats. we just showed up and used it though. while i was there i used the 2nd voucher that camewith the thing i bought for the aug 18th game against the cards and was able to get field seats in section 44. now i have like 6 buy one get one free thingsleft. good for all the games except the bobbleheads (smh) and the cubs series

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

i'd get tickets to the Tomma HOF Plaque night
smokin.gif

you're going to DS on my Burrfday? That's
smokin.gif

i probably will if there are seats available. im just gonna buy loge seats with the rest of the vouchers. it will be 25 bucks a game for 2 seats. pretty coolthing. i should have bought another one at costco.

so were you getting picked off by peanut shells from the loge section? is that why you left early?
laugh.gif

we left at the bottom of the 8th. I gotta be at work in 30 mins rightnow. I'm learning that with this job I need some sleep.

These cats weren't looking primed for a comeback and the pendejos at the loge were disrespectful. Come on dude these idiots drop a beer TWICE convenientlyfrom behind the LED screen in front of their seats right on top of kids. Security doesn't do %*## after the first one and it takes people finally standingup and shouting to the idiots up top for them to finally "take action"?

%*$% that, of the venues i've visited this year DS has the worst guest relations and Security.

IYN you're badluck man
laugh.gif

Na but the boys had ZERO energy out there, the vibe was all wrong and it showed when they went to the plate.

I think they were still in vacay mode.

Ethier needs to relax with all those DPs
indifferent.gif

Torre needs to switch up the lineup, have raffy and odog top of the order to get things going, odog is finding his stride and he bats him on the bottom.

Move manny to 3 and ethier at 4, let's %+*!%#* go
smh.gif

http://www.latimes.com/sports/columnists/la-columnist-bplaschke,0,5883852.columnist
Bill Plaschke:

[h1]Manny Ramirez shows little gratitude to his fans[/h1]

48117176.jpg

Email Picture

Alex Gallardo / Los Angeles Times

Manny Ramirez bumps fists with a teammate before taking the field against the Houston Astros on Thursday night at Dodger Stadium.

In his return to Dodger Stadium after a 50-game suspension, the outfielder barely acknowledges the people of Mannywood and shows little appreciation for the unconditional support.

Bill Plaschke
July 17, 2009
The citizens showed up early in hopes that the mayor would come out early to greet them.

He didn't.

The citizens began cheering as he ran out for the start of the game in hopes that the mayor would acknowledge them.

He wouldn't.

The citizens chanted his name as he finished his first warm-up tosses in hopes that the mayor would at least throw them the ball.

He threw it in the left-field stands instead.

After blowing off honesty, accountability and one-third of the season, Manny Ramirez did something more egregious in his return to Dodger Stadium on Thursday.

He blew off Mannywood.

In the first inning of his first appearance in a left-field corner adorned with the "Mannywood 99" banner and filled with hundreds of loving fans who paid a premium for their proximity, Ramirez acted as if none of it existed.

As if his employers had not just compromised their integrity by continuing to name an entire section of seats in honor of a drug cheat.

As if his fans had not just gone against all reason to embrace him in his first home appearance after 50 games on a drug-policy suspension.

As if he didn't owe anybody anything.

"I was just mentioning that to my wife," said Mike Jaramillo, a postal worker from Torrance who was seated in the heart of Mannywood. "I came here to see how he would react, but he didn't look at us, didn't acknowledge us, seemed kind of arrogant."

Kind of? On a night when Ramirez could have finally returned some of the love that has been showered on him over the last two months, he gave little.

In a 3-0 loss to the Houston Astros, he failed to hustle after a line drive that bounced off the bullpen fence, struck out twice, flailing, and showed little respect for his most loyal fans.

Not that they minded, of course,

There were still standing ovations, shaggy wigs, screaming fans from corner to corner, cheers as big as Barry Bonds' neck, the same type of cheers that once fell upon that neck.

"Twenty-one years is a long time, we can only live off Kirk Gibson for so long," said Brent Aguilar, a Mannywood visitor. "We've got to sell our souls to get another one."

At least he was honest about it. So was postman Jaramillo, who was the only soul in Mannywood who actually, momentarily, jeered the slugger.

"Cheat-er, cheat-er," he chanted before his voice wilted in the face of hundreds of scowls.

"Actually, I like Manny," he said later. "But somebody has to say something."

Ramirez should have felt fortunate that Jaramillo was the only one in Mannywood who was publicly critical, yet the mayor didn't act like it.

If there is any sense that he is thankful for any of the blessings bestowed upon him by his forgiving fans, it is not obvious. If he even cares that the Dodgers have bowed to his every whim, it is not apparent.

"I was just trying to focus on the game," he said of Thursday night.

Fine, but wasn't it a night when at least a little public display of affection would have made sense?

As Thursday showed, the unconditional support has only made him feel more empowered.

Like, before the game, when Ramirez plopped down on the bench next to Manager Joe Torre in the middle of Torre's daily meeting with reporters and started taking questions.

The focus of dozens of reporters immediately turned to Ramirez, leaving Torre to sit patiently and wait for the slugger to finish his shtick.

In my 26 years of covering baseball, that is the first time I have seen a player upstage a manager that way. And for it to happen to one of the best managers in baseball history, well, the kindly Torre didn't seem to mind, but it rattled the senses.

"If you didn't know him, you would think he's a pain in the neck," Torre said. "But he's able to relieve all the tension with his attitude and personality."

As he has done all along, Torre also defended the fan's right to cheer him.

"Nobody says its OK to violate rules, but he took his punishment and fans came here to be entertained," Torre said. "They're just looking forward to him playing baseball."

And understandably looking forward to guys like me just leaving them alone.

"You think he has us brainwashed, right?" said Lynne Pool, a Mission Viejo student in Mannywood. "C'mon, you know how many people do drugs? He is still doing good without them. Everybody makes mistakes. We forgive him."

Added Sean Henry, another Mannywood fan: "Lay off him, will you? I think the whole league is on drugs. I don't care. This is just entertainment."

You know what was the most entertaining part of Thursday night? It occurred in the seventh inning, with the huge, surprise standing ovation given to pinch-hitter Juan Pierre.

It was louder than anything heard by Ramirez. It was as if fans wanted to thank him for his hard work in keeping the team in first place while Ramirez was missing. Good for those fans. Good for Pierre.

If only there was the same attitude of gratitude in that guy who replaced him.

[email protected]

twitter.com/BillPlaschke

laugh.gif
I'm not even gonna read this, but I posted it anyways to show youwhat happens when females go through menopause.

Dodgers Trade Deadline Preview
tiny.v3808.gif
by Brendan Scolari on Jul 17, 2009 12:55 AM PDT in News
comment.v1599.png
2 comments

More photos » by Gus Ruelas - AP

Browse more photos »

(Note: I actually wrote this article for MLB Daily Dish, but as the title indicates it's fairly relevant to Dodger fans. So without further ado...)

Buyers or sellers?

With the best record in baseball this season, there is just no way the Dodgers will be selling off any major league contributers. They will be in the same boat as last year, looking for veterans who can help the team reach the playoffs and then contribute if/when they get there. However, in 2008 the Dodgers were looking for bats (and they added Manny Ramirez and Casey Blake), this time around they will be looking for arms to add depth to the pitching staff.

Short-term need

With players locked in at every position around the diamond, the only way the Dodgers could really consider trading for another hitter was if an elite talent like Adrian Gonzalez became available. Even in that case a trade would be unlikely. The Dodgers have stuggled to find a dependable left-handed hitter off the bench but Doug Mientkiewitcz should be back before the postseason begins. In the rotation the Dodgers are looking for a back-end starter to replace Eric Milton, who was recently lost for the season. It's possible the Dodgers could get a decent arm to fill that role although ultimately not that important because the Dodgers already have four effective starters to use in the playoffs. A player like Roy Halladay or Cliff Lee would be a luxury but is in no way a need. Of more pressing importance could be the bullpen, where set-up man Ronald Belisario was recently put on the DL. With the injuries to Belisario, Hong-Chih Kuo, and Jonathan Broxton the Dodgers 'pen is thin. It wouldn't be surprising if an arm is added here, in fact general manager Ned Colletti has said it is the tea's number one priority.

Long-term need

It's hard to pinpoint many long-term needs right now because the current team is so stacked. Young pitchers are still plentiful in the minor league system but the starting rotation will probably need an infusion of talent in another couple years when Hiroki Kuroda and Randy Wolf could be gone. With Russell Martin's struggles this year it should be a priority to find a player who can spell him more often than the Dodgers current backup catchers can and potentially replace him if he doesn't rebound eventually as his salary is escalating. At the corners the Dodgers don't have a lot of firepower and they could use a power bat there in the next few years. Other than that, they should be relatively set for the near future.

Big Leaguers on the market

Barring a trade for Roy Halladay or a similiar player, the only major leaguers on the market are the youngsters who are still trying to earn their place on the team. Even if such a trade were to occur, the Dodgers would have a tough (read: near impossible) time parting with guys like Clayton Kershaw and Matt Kemp who have provided huge boosts to the team this year. Blake Dewitt and James McDonald, youngsters who have been promoted a few times this year, could find their way into deals for a mid-level starting pitcher. Others like Scott Elbert and Xavier Paul have more muddled futures with the team and may be in trades for smaller upgrades.

Minor league strength

The Dodgers have two areas of strength in their farm system, middle infield and right-handed pitching. Excluding the aforementioned James McDonald and Scott Elbert, the Dodgers recent high draft picks have produced right-handed pitchers Josh Lindblom, Ethan Martin, and Chris Withrow. Withrow and Martin are years away from the majors but Lindblom could help out the bullpen this year if neccesary. As far as middle infielders the Dodgers have Blake Dewitt, Chin-Lung Hu, and the currently injured Ivan Dejesus all at Triple-A with the potential to help out major league teams. Hu's future is in jeopardy because of his abysmal hitting this year (.624 OPS), but both Dewitt and Dejesus have above-average starter potential. At the lower levels Devaris Gordon (son of Tom Gordon) has is toolsy but raw but could turn into a good player down the road.

Take on short-term money to win?

This shouldn't be a problem as the Dodgers play in the second biggest market in the country. However, last year the Dodgers had to add additional prospects to deals because they refused to pay the salary of either Casey Blake or Manny Ramirez. Manny's suspension saves the team about $2.7 million and given the drop in team payroll from '08 to '09, the Dodgers should be able to add a reasonable contract without too much trouble.

+$!@ Plaschke

the section was filled with cheers. After he just stared at the ball hit the corner of the bullpe gate (
laugh.gif
) he threw it into the infield, everyone wascheering and he did the old gun in the holster motion
roll.gif

he acknowledged the m-a-n-n-y-w-o-o-d shirts behind him in left field as well.

granted he wasnt as animated as usual, but thats expected.

typical old man hack is trying to stir !%%# up. his schtick is dead, and was never pulsing to begin with.

time to move on and acknowledge his presence instead of trying to make it the other way around...

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/heyman-on-halladay-francoeur-brewers.html[/h1]
[h1]Heyman On Halladay[/h1]
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 17 at 12:56pm CST]

Jon Heyman of SI.com hears the Blue Jays have told the Yankees and Red Sox they're unlikely to trade Roy Halladay within the AL East and haven't even returned a call the Yankees placed about Halladay over a week ago. That leaves the Phillies and, now, the Dodgers as frontrunners to acquire the Jays ace. Here are the details and a few stray rumors:
The Dodgers don't necessarily have enough minor league talent to tempt the Jays.
2. The Dodgers may be considered a longshot to get Roy Halladay from Toronto because they have made left-hander Clayton Kershaw untouchable. Smart. But Los Angeles still thinks it has a decent fit with Toronto even if the prospects the Blue Jays like, including third baseman Josh Bell, aren't exactly going to be big leaguers immediately. The Dodgers want a starting pitcher who would be certain to start one of the first three games of a playoff series. So, no, that does not mean Jarrod Washburn. It's either Halladay, Cliff Lee or nothing. The Dodgers would still like another arm for their bullpen, such as Arizona's Chad Qualls or Baltimore's George Sherrill.

Btw, anyone have connections for like a 32-37'' LCD tv?

I'm trying to get rid of my 27''
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom