OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

Originally Posted by eyegiantjackpot

OMG i hate the press.

only Orlando gets on the list? are they serious? and brox gets a tie?

Manager: The Angels' Mike Scioscia displayed poise and grace in deflecting every question about the impact of Adenhart's death into a gentle reminder that the issue was not about a team losing a pitcher but about a family losing a son. Scioscia also steered the Angels to first place despite losing Guerrero and virtually an entire starting rotation to injuries.

What? what about torre getting thru manny being gone?

ughhhh i hate it.
Your an idiot, Manny didn't get killed, he was always there, how would you feel if one of you players died, just a tad diffrent isntit?
tired.gif

Not that this needs to be said.....but "the views and opinions expressed by John Ohh do not reflect mine or any other Giants fan on this board" (Imtempted to make that line my NT sig)

IRONMAN......Ordinary might have been a bad choice of words. But during his time with the Giants, he was not that good. Yes he had a great 2003 season. Butwith his history, with our team, his age, and his value after that breakout season, acquiring an all star catcher for him looked pretty good to our management.Liriano was hurt, and I guess we were willing to cut our losses. As far as Bonser goes, again, throw in might have been a bad choice of words. But at the timeour system was LOADED with arms (Foppert, Aardsma, Ainsworth etc). Granted they most didnt really develop, but lets be honest, neither has Bonser. Obviouslythe trade didnt work out, but at the time, didnt look that bad.

Originally Posted by dland24

Not that this needs to be said.....but "the views and opinions expressed by John Ohh do not reflect mine or any other Giants fan on this board" (Im tempted to make that line my NT sig)

Agreed. No worries dude, IMO all of you cats aside from senor Bandwagon and 715 are cool people in my book.

No Dodger baseball till Thursday?

& I'm getting both my wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow, RIP
smh.gif

Goodlooks 562
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

you 2 idiots need help

http://niketalk.com/topic/155668?page=1

there you go thats your thread on your horse %#@+ team

Chill Mike. What if I told you I have been a die hard UCLA basketball fan since I shot hoops at Pauley 16 years ago when I was a youngster? Im cool now right?
laugh.gif
Jesus. Please dont associate me with that other clown. I just like talking baseball.

anyways amn its nice to see our dodgers doing good.Call me carzy but i know kuroda will be back to his old self, bills, kershaw and wolf will help us in theplay off.All we need if for them to get to the 7th then its troncoso,belisario,mcdonald and brox.Game

[h3]LA pitchers follow Hudson's All-Star lead[/h3]Veteran guides Billingsley, Broxton in their first Classic
By Mychael Urban / MLB.com

07/13/09 4:22 PM ET

ST. LOUIS -- The first time Orlando Hudson made it to the Midsummer Classic in 2007, Barry Bonds was the unofficial host of the festivities in San Francisco.

Two years later, Hudson finds himself in a similar situation. The biggest star in baseball these days is Cardinals first baseman Albert Pujols, who is serving as the unofficial host of the 2009 All-Star Game in St. Louis.

Hudson, one of three Dodgers All-Stars this year, couldn't be happier about spending time in the company of two of the game's all-time greats.

"We're talking about amazing, incredible players, Bonds and Albert Pujols," Hudson said Monday while taking part of the annual All-Star media scrum at a downtown hotel. "I mean, first-ballot Hall of Famers. And I'm honored. I can't wait.

"Pujols is going to put on a show tonight in the Home Run Derby, he's going to put on a show tomorrow in the game, and he's going to put on a show again as soon as the second half [of the season] starts."

A switch-hitting second baseman, Hudson is serving as something of a mentor to teammates Chad Billingsley and Jonathan Broxton; both right-handers are All-Star rookies.

Broxton, Los Angeles' closer, was scratched from the National League roster because of an irritated nerve in his right big toe, but he's taking part in everything associated with the game, and like Billingsley, the Dodgers' ace, he's leaning on the veteran for guidance.

"It's helpful," Broxton said. "O-Dog knows what to expect, and me and Chad don't, so we'll just follow his lead. One thing he pointed out was that the NL goes first in everything, so we have to be ready."

Added Billingsley: "Me and Brox have asked [Hudson] about everything. Where to go, when to be there, what to wear. I just don't want to be late for anything. I want to do it all, so it's nice to have him with us."

The All-Star selections of Billingsley, 24, and Broxton, 25, signal further proof that the Dodgers, after more than two decades of unsuccessful Drafts, have turned over their roster to homegrown stars.

Billingsley was the club's first-round pick in 2003. He becomes the first Dodgers first-round pick to make the All-Star team as a Dodger since 1979 pick Steve Howe was named to the NL team in 1982. Since taking Howe, the Dodgers have drafted 17 pitchers with first-round picks.

Paul Konerko, the Dodgers' 1994 first-round pick, became an All-Star for the White Sox in 2002, '05 and '06.

"I didn't know it had been that long," Billingsley said. "I don't know if that makes it any more special, because just being an All-Star, period, is special. Being 24 years old, second year in the big leagues, all of it's pretty special."

The All-Star recognition comes after Billingsley not only had to shake off the memory of a postseason debacle against the Phillies, but a broken leg suffered in an icy slip-and-fall over the winter.

"I knew he had a belly full of guts," said Dodgers manager Joe Torre, one of All-Star manager Charlie Manuel's coaches here. "He used that -- instead of dwelling on negativity -- as a learning tool, and we're reaping the rewards."

Billingsley is 9-4 with a 3.38 ERA and 119 strikeouts in 125 1/3 innings, ranking among league leaders in all pertinent categories for starting pitchers.

A second-round pick in 2002, Broxton is the latest in a long line of Dodgers All-Star relievers. The most recent names are Takashi Saito and Eric Gagne, but the club also has been represented by Jeff Shaw, Todd Worrell, Jay Howell, Howe and Cy Young winner Mike Marshall.

Broxton is 6-0 with a 3.10 ERA and 20 saves, converting his past 12 opportunities. He leads all Major League relievers with 65 strikeouts and a .149 opponents' batting average, and he has a 0.42 home ERA.

He's disappointed that he won't be able to pitch Tuesday, and on Monday he said he wasn't sure if he'd be allowed to line up with the rest of the NL team for introductions, but Broxton is taking Hudson's advice and soaking in as much about the experience as possible.

"I'm looking forward to talking to all of the other closers, especially [all-time saves leader Trevor] Hoffman," Broxton said. "What a great opportunity. I'll definitely be taking it all in, because you never know if you're going to be back."

Hudson's selection makes for a remarkable comeback from an ugly wrist injury he suffered last August, creating a chilly free-agent market for the talented second baseman and leading to his bargain signing with the Dodgers after Spring Training started.

Torre said Hudson, who is batting .283 with seven homers and 48 RBIs this year, has shown signs of breaking out of a monthlong slump; he homered twice Sunday. Earlier this year he recorded the first Dodgers cycle in nearly 39 years and had a 17-game hitting streak.

"It's got to help his spirits," Torre said of Hudson's All-Star selection, "because he's a little down now."

Hudson, 31, was anything but down Monday. He entertained all comers for about 30 minutes, along the way noting that he wouldn't mind if playing All-Star host this week wears Pujols out.

"We have to come here next week," Hudson said of the Dodgers' upcoming series in town. "Hopefully this will slow him down."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/05/mlb-trade-rumors-rss-feed-usage.html
[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/trade-candidates-relievers.html[/h1]
[h1]Trade Candidates: Relievers[/h1]
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 13 at 4:51pm CST]

Just about every team could improve its bullpen and some clubs, like the Marlins and Rockies, are working aggressively to add relievers. Here are some of the names to consider, ordered from highest 2009 salary to lowest.
  • Kerry Wood - He's been a disappointment in Cleveland, and the Indians owe him about $15MM before the end of next year, and possibly more in 2011.
  • Rafael Soriano - Could the Braves get creative and deal Soriano ($6.1MM) or Mike Gonzalez ( $3.5MM), who will also become a free agent this winter.
  • Danys Baez - At $5.5MM, he's an expensive option, but he could help a contender.
  • LaTroy Hawkins - He's been effective in 38 appearances for the Astros, who are still in contention and may hold onto Hawkins ($3.5MM) and fellow reliever Jose Valverde ($8MM).
  • Rafael Betancourt - He's still nowhere near as effective as he was in 2007, but Betancourt's pitched well enough this year; he'll make $3.35MM this season.
  • Russ Springer - He's been hittable, but he can still strike major leaguers out. He makes $3.3MM this year.
  • George Sherrill - Affordable and effective, Sherrill ($2.75MM) is under team control through 2011.
  • Chad Qualls - The D'Backs already traded Tony Pena, so they may be reluctant to part with Qualls, who makes $2.5MM this season.
  • John Grabow - Makes $2.3MM this year, before hitting free agency this winter. He's pitching well, but his control's been off this season.
  • Matt Capps - Like Grabow, he makes $2.3MM this year, but Capps will likely hit free agency after 2012.
  • Juan Cruz - Still tough to hit, but not as effective as last year, Cruz makes $2.25MM this year and more in 2010.
  • Joe Beimel - The 32-year-old lefty makes $2MM this year. He's pitched well, but not quite as well as his 3.57 ERA suggests.
  • Takashi Saito - A relative bargain at $1.5MM, especially when you consider the identically priced team option for next year.
  • Heath Bell - At an affordable $1.3MM, the All-Star closer would be appealing to many clubs, especially since he's under team control through 2011.
  • Cla Meredith - By far the cheapest option on this list at just $431k, he's had three respectable seasons in a row since his breakout 2006 campaign.
The Twins, Angels, Rangers, Phillies, Rockies and Dodgers are among the teams that could make deals to improve their respective 'pens.

Originally Posted by sinser13

Just about every team could improve its bullpen and some clubs, like the Marlins and Rockies, are working aggressively to add relievers. Here are some of the names to consider, ordered from highest 2009 salary to lowest.
  • Kerry Wood - He's been a disappointment in Cleveland, and the Indians owe him about $15MM before the end of next year, and possibly more in 2011.
  • Rafael Soriano - Could the Braves get creative and deal Soriano ($6.1MM) or Mike Gonzalez ( $3.5MM), who will also become a free agent this winter.
  • Danys Baez - At $5.5MM, he's an expensive option, but he could help a contender.
  • LaTroy Hawkins - He's been effective in 38 appearances for the Astros, who are still in contention and may hold onto Hawkins ($3.5MM) and fellow reliever Jose Valverde ($8MM).
  • Rafael Betancourt - He's still nowhere near as effective as he was in 2007, but Betancourt's pitched well enough this year; he'll make $3.35MM this season.
  • Russ Springer - He's been hittable, but he can still strike major leaguers out. He makes $3.3MM this year.
  • George Sherrill - Affordable and effective, Sherrill ($2.75MM) is under team control through 2011.
  • Chad Qualls - The D'Backs already traded Tony Pena, so they may be reluctant to part with Qualls, who makes $2.5MM this season.
  • John Grabow - Makes $2.3MM this year, before hitting free agency this winter. He's pitching well, but his control's been off this season.
  • Matt Capps - Like Grabow, he makes $2.3MM this year, but Capps will likely hit free agency after 2012.
  • Juan Cruz - Still tough to hit, but not as effective as last year, Cruz makes $2.25MM this year and more in 2010.
  • Joe Beimel - The 32-year-old lefty makes $2MM this year. He's pitched well, but not quite as well as his 3.57 ERA suggests.
  • Takashi Saito - A relative bargain at $1.5MM, especially when you consider the identically priced team option for next year.
  • Heath Bell - At an affordable $1.3MM, the All-Star closer would be appealing to many clubs, especially since he's under team control through 2011.
  • Cla Meredith - By far the cheapest option on this list at just $431k, he's had three respectable seasons in a row since his breakout 2006 campaign.
The Twins, Angels, Rangers, Phillies, Rockies and Dodgers are among the teams that could make deals to improve their respective 'pens.

Originally Posted by sinser13

Can't believe Valverde is making 8M
laugh.gif

From that list, I like Sherrill and the couple of Padres at the end.

Beimel probably can return, but don't think the front office will make that happen.

Hawkings is probably a last resort option, but a good reliever nonetheless.

Ahh, some good servicable arms on that list.

Ned should be making some calls, add some vets.

smh.gif
went to the dentist and said they needed to refer me to an oral surgeon ... now that %%%@ is gonna be done on Thursday.

Not a gooood look, FUUUUUUUUUUUU wisdom teeth.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

smh.gif
went to the dentist and said they needed to refer me to an oral surgeon ... now that %%%@ is gonna be done on Thursday.

I know you dislike me and all, but good luck with those wisdom teeth.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

smh.gif

I'm dreading the day when they say, "those wisdom teeth have to come out"

I'm not good with Dentist visits, or any pain having to do with my teeth. I'm so paranoid about it.

But dude, good luck.

Back
Top Bottom