OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

50 wins
pimp.gif

Manny's back
pimp.gif

hopefully the cardinals show up tonight & tomorrow.

$%***%# busy as hell today
smh.gif

Looks like kershaw was jekyl and hyde again, 100 pitches through 5 innings and a career high 5 walks?
sick.gif

Yikes. Big ups to the bullpen gettin' it done.

Manny cannot come at a better time, hopefully he gives the team some needed enthusiasm / energy out there.

Have fun in SDeezy 562, where you staying? SD is so
pimp.gif

50 wins
pimp.gif
pujols needs to shoot up today, cards need 2 wake up.

[h3]Dodgers make flurry of roster moves[/h3]Stults, Ellis, Jones optioned with Manny's return on horizon
LOS ANGELES -- The Dodgers made a handful of personnel moves Wednesday, in part to prepare the roster for the Friday return of suspended outfielder Manny Ramirez.

In the morning, they activated hurler Eric Stults from the 15-day disabled list and optioned him to Triple-A Albuquerque. Now healed after a sprained left thumb, Stults will start regularly, either to earn another shot at the Dodgers' fifth-starter spot or to showcase his talents to other teams with the month's-end Trade Deadline approaching.

After Wednesday's game, the club also optioned third-string catcher A.J. Ellis to Albuquerque and designated for assignment outfielder Mitch Jones. Ellis will continue catching regularly and will likely get a September callup.

Jones enters a 10-day window during which he can be claimed by another club, traded or released. His move was necessitated by the need to clear a 40-man roster spot for Ramirez, who did not count against the roster total during his suspension.

More moves than just activating Ramirez must be made Friday. The Minor League rehab assignment for pitcher Claudio Vargas and his sprained right elbow is up, and he is expected to be activated to replace Ellis on the 25-man active roster. A 40-man spot would be needed for him, possibly by moving reliever Hong-Chih Kuo from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day DL. Without being activated, Vargas could declare free agency. Before that happens, management wants to see if he can help on the Major League level.

Adding Vargas, however, will create an imbalance in the roster, leaving only four position players on the bench (Mark Loretta, Brad Ausmus, Juan Castro and Juan Pierre) while bringing the total of active pitchers to 13, four of them long relievers (Jeff Weaver, James McDonald, Eric Milton and Vargas) with two off-days in the next five days and the club using only four starters until July 11.

smokin.gif

JIMMYYYYYYYYYYYY! IT'S ON!!!

[h3]Dodgers make flurry of roster moves[/h3]Stults, Ellis, Jones optioned with Manny's return on horizon

LOS ANGELES -- The Dodgers made a handful of personnel moves Wednesday, in part to prepare the roster for the Friday return of suspended outfielder Manny Ramirez.

In the morning, they activated hurler Eric Stults from the 15-day disabled list and optioned him to Triple-A Albuquerque. Now healed after a sprained left thumb, Stults will start regularly, either to earn another shot at the Dodgers' fifth-starter spot or to showcase his talents to other teams with the month's-end Trade Deadline approaching.

After Wednesday's game, the club also optioned third-string catcher A.J. Ellis to Albuquerque and designated for assignment outfielder Mitch Jones. Ellis will continue catching regularly and will likely get a September callup.

Jones enters a 10-day window during which he can be claimed by another club, traded or released. His move was necessitated by the need to clear a 40-man roster spot for Ramirez, who did not count against the roster total during his suspension.

More moves than just activating Ramirez must be made Friday. The Minor League rehab assignment for pitcher Claudio Vargas and his sprained right elbow is up, and he is expected to be activated to replace Ellis on the 25-man active roster. A 40-man spot would be needed for him, possibly by moving reliever Hong-Chih Kuo from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day DL. Without being activated, Vargas could declare free agency. Before that happens, management wants to see if he can help on the Major League level.

Adding Vargas, however, will create an imbalance in the roster, leaving only four position players on the bench (Mark Loretta, Brad Ausmus, Juan Castro and Juan Pierre) while bringing the total of active pitchers to 13, four of them long relievers (Jeff Weaver, James McDonald, Eric Milton and Vargas) with two off-days in the next five days and the club using only four starters until July 11.

[h3]He's baaack! Manny poised to return[/h3]Los Angeles (50-29) at San Diego (34-42), 7:05 p.m. PT
By David Ely / MLB.com

07/01/09 10:26 PM ET

LOS ANGELES -- He's baaaack!

Manny Ramirez returns to the Dodgers' lineup Friday against the Padres after serving a 50-game suspension for violating MLB's Drug Policy.

He'll be a welcome sight, as the Dodgers' offense has struggled recently. In their just-concluded series against the Rockies, the Dodgers won two games but scored just five runs over the three-game set. In their past five games, Los Angeles has scored just eight runs.

The Dodgers hope that anemic run production will improve when Ramirez slides into the No. 3 spot in the order.

Dodgers manager Joe Torre expects it will take some time before Ramirez, who has played in four Minor League games in the past 10 days, is back in game shape.

"It's going to be like Spring Training," Torre said. "You can go to the gym and do what you need to do, but when you play, you use muscles you're not used to. So I think he'll just have to get into the best shape by playing."

But Torre is hopeful that Ramirez will be able to inject some life into the Dodgers' offense.

"Hopefully, Manny will give us a more consistent offense," Torre said. "We've been lucky to win a lot of close games. We've made the most out of the runs we've scored. But I think the presence he brings to the lineup is a security blanket for the rest of the guys."

With a sellout crowd on hand, the Dodgers will be facing a very hot pitcher. The Padres' Chad Gaudin was brilliant Sunday against the Rangers, allowing one hit over eight shutout innings.

Hiroki Kuroda, who struggled in his last start against the Mariners, will toe the rubber for the Dodgers. Kuroda is 3-1 with a 4.78 ERA in five career starts against the Padres.

GREAT STORY

[h3]Brooklyn Dodgers fan's dream comes true[/h3]McCourt flies 71-year-old to LA to join other bloggers for tour

LOS ANGELES -- Joe Pierre was excited.

Now that he was 19 years old and had his own job, he could finally afford season tickets to see his beloved Dodgers play at Ebbets Field.

But before he could make his purchase, the bad news hit -- the Dodgers were leaving his hometown of Brooklyn for the sunny skies of Los Angeles starting the next season, 1958.

Pierre was heartbroken. The team that he had loved so much was leaving him for a city more than 3,000 miles away.

But Pierre was determined to keep rooting for his favorite team because, after all, it was still the same collection of players playing under manager Walter Alston that were heading out west.

So Pierre kept on rooting for the Dodgers over the years and followed them any way he possibly could. He would read about them in the newspaper, in magazines and then watch them play when they were on national television.

He even became a regular commentator with the moniker "oldbrooklynfan" on the Inside the Dodgers blog on MLB.com to share his stories with other Dodgers fans on the site.

But there was just one thing he couldn't do. He couldn't see his favorite team play at Dodger Stadium in person, because of both the cost and his fear of flying.

But that all changed this weekend when Dodgers owner Frank McCourt made Pierre's dream come true.

McCourt arranged for Pierre, 71, to fly out from New York on Friday on JetBlue so that he could take in a game at Dodger Stadium, as well as go on a special tour on Saturday with his fellow commentators on the Inside the Dodgers blog.

"It's like a dream," Pierre said during his tour. "It's nice of him to do this. I don't know how to explain this. I can never thank him enough. I'll never forget this for the rest of my life."

Pierre's dream-come-true of visiting the stadium he'd seen on television so many times really started last October when one of the regular commentators on the Inside the Dodgers blog asked Dodgers vice president of communications, Josh Rawitch, who also runs the blog, if he could arrange a special stadium tour for the regulars on the site.

"I threw it out there not thinking it would ever happen," said Mike Corrigan, who posts as "perumike." "I just thought it would be cool to get a tour and see a game."

Rawitch loved the idea and agreed to the request, but there was just one problem. Everybody wanted Pierre to make it out to Los Angeles for the first time, and finally a poster named "dodgereric," whose real name is Eric Monson, asked if McCourt could cover the expenses for Pierre to make the trip.

Rawitch ran into McCourt that same day and told him about Pierre's story, which made McCourt's decision an easy one.

"It's great to see someone as happy as he is right now," McCourt said. "He's a lifelong Dodger fan, and he's never been here before, and he said it's like a dream come true. He got a behind-the-scenes tour and he's watching the game and he said he's living his dream. It's a great statement. It's his team. This is what it's all about. He's one of a legion of fans that are emotional stakeholders in the franchise and you can feel their emotion."

Monson was impressed by McCourt offering to fly out Pierre and pay for him to stay at the Hilton Glendale for two nights as well.

"It was generous and respectful of McCourt to offer to do this," Monson said. "This was a very class move and something he didn't have to do."

But there was still one problem -- Pierre hadn't flown in an airplane since 1963, when he was in the army, and he had a fear of flying.

Pierre was finally talked into it because he realized this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

"Josh told me, 'I can't see how a guy could root for the Dodgers his whole life and then turn it down,'" Pierre said. "So I realized, how could I turn it down? It's impossible."

Pierre was able to do the impossible through McCourt's help as he went to his first game on Friday night and met Dodgers manager Joe Torre, former great Don Newcombe and several current players.

On Saturday, Pierre remembered exactly where he sat the night before -- field level, Section 8, Row R, Seat 7.

But it was at the tour on Saturday when Pierre got choked up thinking about all of his Dodgers memories.

Pierre stood on the same mound where former greats such as Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale and Don Sutton once pitched, and it was too much for him emotionally.

The tears rolled down his face and in a choked-up voice he said aloud, "Sometimes I just wondered what I was doing rooting for a team 3,000 miles away, but this made it worth it."

Pierre also got emotional when he had a chance to sit in the same seat where legendary broadcaster Vin Scully does the play-by-play in the press box at Dodger Stadium.

"I remember when Vin came in and he was the young redhead, with the older redhead being Red Barber," Pierre recalled. "It was a memory I'll never forget. So it's just nice seeing him carry on like he's done."

"When you hear his voice, it's like the Dodgers never left. He's really the sound of the Dodgers, especially for me being out of town. It's like the Dodgers never changed."

It was moments such as that one where Pierre showed his loyalty to the Dodgers -- loyalty that began at age 8 when his uncle took him to his first game at Ebbets Field.

He recalled some of his favorite memories over the years, such as the Dodgers winning their only World Series in Brooklyn in 1955.

"Some people said it was the biggest celebration in Brooklyn since the end of World War II," Pierre said.

He also talked about his favorite player of all-time: "I think it's Jackie Robinson because of everything he did for the game."

And he talked about what he liked most about Dodger Stadium: "It has a real old-fashioned look to it, which is nice."

Pierre, who also called himself a "chatterbox," lived up to his reputation as he talked with many of the nearly 70 fans that came out to the tour on Saturday that began at the top of the park and made its way into the press box and on the field.

It was a special experience for those on the tour because they had a chance to ask Pierre questions about what it was like back in the old days in Brooklyn.

"He's amazing," said Debbie Nelson, who posts as "nellyjune" on the site. "He reminds me of my grandfather, who also grew up in Brooklyn. Joe was one of the first people I started talking to on the site."

It was also a special day for those on the tour as many of the site's regular posters had never met in person before the game. But because of the community aspect of the blog, they all had their love for the Dodgers in common.

"For a lot of us, this is the only way we can talk about the Dodgers because some don't live among Dodgers fans," Monson said. "I live in Temecula, which isn't that far, but it's mostly Padres and Angels fans. But, this way, I can talk with Dodgers fans all over the world."

Pierre, who doesn't even own a cell phone, finds it funny that technology is really the only reason why he was able to make it to Dodger Stadium. Because he knows that if he didn't regularly post on the Inside the Dodgers blog, his story might never have been noticed.

"I'm the only one left that I know personally in Brooklyn that's still a Dodger fan," Pierre said. "I don't think there's anything I've cherished longer than the Dodgers, honestly."

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

GREAT STORY

[h3]Brooklyn Dodgers fan's dream comes true[/h3]McCourt flies 71-year-old to LA to join other bloggers for tour

LOS ANGELES -- Joe Pierre was excited.

Now that he was 19 years old and had his own job, he could finally afford season tickets to see his beloved Dodgers play at Ebbets Field.

But before he could make his purchase, the bad news hit -- the Dodgers were leaving his hometown of Brooklyn for the sunny skies of Los Angeles starting the next season, 1958.

Pierre was heartbroken. The team that he had loved so much was leaving him for a city more than 3,000 miles away.

But Pierre was determined to keep rooting for his favorite team because, after all, it was still the same collection of players playing under manager Walter Alston that were heading out west.

So Pierre kept on rooting for the Dodgers over the years and followed them any way he possibly could. He would read about them in the newspaper, in magazines and then watch them play when they were on national television.

He even became a regular commentator with the moniker "oldbrooklynfan" on the Inside the Dodgers blog on MLB.com to share his stories with other Dodgers fans on the site.

But there was just one thing he couldn't do. He couldn't see his favorite team play at Dodger Stadium in person, because of both the cost and his fear of flying.

But that all changed this weekend when Dodgers owner Frank McCourt made Pierre's dream come true.

McCourt arranged for Pierre, 71, to fly out from New York on Friday on JetBlue so that he could take in a game at Dodger Stadium, as well as go on a special tour on Saturday with his fellow commentators on the Inside the Dodgers blog.

"It's like a dream," Pierre said during his tour. "It's nice of him to do this. I don't know how to explain this. I can never thank him enough. I'll never forget this for the rest of my life."

Pierre's dream-come-true of visiting the stadium he'd seen on television so many times really started last October when one of the regular commentators on the Inside the Dodgers blog asked Dodgers vice president of communications, Josh Rawitch, who also runs the blog, if he could arrange a special stadium tour for the regulars on the site.

"I threw it out there not thinking it would ever happen," said Mike Corrigan, who posts as "perumike." "I just thought it would be cool to get a tour and see a game."

Rawitch loved the idea and agreed to the request, but there was just one problem. Everybody wanted Pierre to make it out to Los Angeles for the first time, and finally a poster named "dodgereric," whose real name is Eric Monson, asked if McCourt could cover the expenses for Pierre to make the trip.

Rawitch ran into McCourt that same day and told him about Pierre's story, which made McCourt's decision an easy one.

"It's great to see someone as happy as he is right now," McCourt said. "He's a lifelong Dodger fan, and he's never been here before, and he said it's like a dream come true. He got a behind-the-scenes tour and he's watching the game and he said he's living his dream. It's a great statement. It's his team. This is what it's all about. He's one of a legion of fans that are emotional stakeholders in the franchise and you can feel their emotion."

Monson was impressed by McCourt offering to fly out Pierre and pay for him to stay at the Hilton Glendale for two nights as well.

"It was generous and respectful of McCourt to offer to do this," Monson said. "This was a very class move and something he didn't have to do."

But there was still one problem -- Pierre hadn't flown in an airplane since 1963, when he was in the army, and he had a fear of flying.

Pierre was finally talked into it because he realized this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

"Josh told me, 'I can't see how a guy could root for the Dodgers his whole life and then turn it down,'" Pierre said. "So I realized, how could I turn it down? It's impossible."

Pierre was able to do the impossible through McCourt's help as he went to his first game on Friday night and met Dodgers manager Joe Torre, former great Don Newcombe and several current players.

On Saturday, Pierre remembered exactly where he sat the night before -- field level, Section 8, Row R, Seat 7.

But it was at the tour on Saturday when Pierre got choked up thinking about all of his Dodgers memories.

Pierre stood on the same mound where former greats such as Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale and Don Sutton once pitched, and it was too much for him emotionally.

The tears rolled down his face and in a choked-up voice he said aloud, "Sometimes I just wondered what I was doing rooting for a team 3,000 miles away, but this made it worth it."

Pierre also got emotional when he had a chance to sit in the same seat where legendary broadcaster Vin Scully does the play-by-play in the press box at Dodger Stadium.

"I remember when Vin came in and he was the young redhead, with the older redhead being Red Barber," Pierre recalled. "It was a memory I'll never forget. So it's just nice seeing him carry on like he's done."

"When you hear his voice, it's like the Dodgers never left. He's really the sound of the Dodgers, especially for me being out of town. It's like the Dodgers never changed."

It was moments such as that one where Pierre showed his loyalty to the Dodgers -- loyalty that began at age 8 when his uncle took him to his first game at Ebbets Field.

He recalled some of his favorite memories over the years, such as the Dodgers winning their only World Series in Brooklyn in 1955.

"Some people said it was the biggest celebration in Brooklyn since the end of World War II," Pierre said.

He also talked about his favorite player of all-time: "I think it's Jackie Robinson because of everything he did for the game."

And he talked about what he liked most about Dodger Stadium: "It has a real old-fashioned look to it, which is nice."

Pierre, who also called himself a "chatterbox," lived up to his reputation as he talked with many of the nearly 70 fans that came out to the tour on Saturday that began at the top of the park and made its way into the press box and on the field.

It was a special experience for those on the tour because they had a chance to ask Pierre questions about what it was like back in the old days in Brooklyn.

"He's amazing," said Debbie Nelson, who posts as "nellyjune" on the site. "He reminds me of my grandfather, who also grew up in Brooklyn. Joe was one of the first people I started talking to on the site."

It was also a special day for those on the tour as many of the site's regular posters had never met in person before the game. But because of the community aspect of the blog, they all had their love for the Dodgers in common.

"For a lot of us, this is the only way we can talk about the Dodgers because some don't live among Dodgers fans," Monson said. "I live in Temecula, which isn't that far, but it's mostly Padres and Angels fans. But, this way, I can talk with Dodgers fans all over the world."

Pierre, who doesn't even own a cell phone, finds it funny that technology is really the only reason why he was able to make it to Dodger Stadium. Because he knows that if he didn't regularly post on the Inside the Dodgers blog, his story might never have been noticed.

"I'm the only one left that I know personally in Brooklyn that's still a Dodger fan," Pierre said. "I don't think there's anything I've cherished longer than the Dodgers, honestly."

What are you doing posting all those words?

You should know better than anyone that Dodgers fans read at a 2nd grade level.

Originally Posted by Dr 715

Seriously though?
doogie-howser-md.jpg

We're pretty much dealing with a little boy.

Originally Posted by Dr 715

What an idiotic statement.

Funny that people see one demographic of Dodgers' fans, and think all fans are the same.

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

i was told the dodgers are going to wear and release "Los Dodgers" jerseys
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Great story up there...
Like the old days, 4 man rotations. thats gunna suck. lol

Yo MrJ where did you hear that from???

post all you got I need one of the Jerseys if true

My sister was at the game tuesday and said they had the jersey for sale at the stadium. She asked about it and the guy told her the dodgers are wearing it fortheir mexican heritage week/series/game or whatever it is. Unless she was bs'ing :/. Ironman should know what's up

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

Yo MrJ where did you hear that from???

post all you got I need one of the Jerseys if true

My sister was at the game tuesday and said they had the jersey for sale at the stadium. She asked about it and the guy told her the dodgers are wearing it for their mexican heritage week/series/game or whatever it is. Unless she was bs'ing :/. Ironman should know what's up
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

mytown_mexicoshirt.gif

100x100_SD.gif

[h4]DODGERTOWN, MEXICO[/h4]Saturday, September 5 @ 7:10 p.m.
Buy tickets now »

Menu: Cheese Quesadillas, Tequila Lime Chicken, Watermelon and Jicama with Chili Lime Salt

Back
Top Bottom