OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

You brought up a great point MrJ - the play of Juan Castro. He has outplayed Raffy by miles this season with his glove & bat. The thing that could beworrisome (sp) bout raffy is that he hasn't had that "streak" yet and is still going through the motions - also his play with the glove has beensurprising, not in a good way.

Hell, lets take it one more step, the play of our bench: Castro, Loretta, Ausmus, Paul/Hoffman.

it is so important to keep these guys fresh, our bench will only get deeper once Mkz comes back.
pimp.gif

not to be mr. negative ... but i believe the dodgers pitching staff is 1st in the majors in giving up walks.

they gave up 24 walks in the 3gm series vs the rockies, those walks are really gonna hurt is in the end.

wassup with kuroda?
come playoff time i think we can have a strong 1-2 with kuroda (depending on how he comes back) and bills. but kershaw hasnt convinced me yet. you dont knowwhat youre gonna get each time he does out there. either throw 100 pitches by the 5th or throw a gem into the 8th

laugh.gif
irony...
[h1][/h1]
[h1]Leading Off: Ramirez All-Star votes reflect poorly on fans[/h1]
ShareThis

By Bill Bradley
[email protected]

Published: Thursday, May. 28, 2009 - 12:00 am | Page 1C

Is this the way baseball fans are voicing their opinion?

Earlier this week, the first update of balloting for the July 14 All-Star Game was released. The biggest surprise was Dodgers outfielder Manny Ramírez ranking fourth among National League outfielders.

That's the same Manny who is suspended until July 3 for using performance-enhancing drugs. That's the same Manny who, as of Tuesday, is 34,080 votes shy of a starting spot.

You could write this off as a popularity contest with Dodgers fans stuffing the ballot box. Or as the fans' way of saying that they don't care if players are juiced.

The latter is a scary thought. The media often report on steroid use because of the damage it can do to a body, especially at an early age.

Unfortunately, Ramírez's ballot success shows that some fans care only about their team - not how wins are manufactured. And that's a very sad vote.

[h1]Ned Colletti is on the lookout for pitching[/h1]

General manager says the Dodgers' staff needs significant improvement.

By Bill Shaikin and Dylan Hernandez
May 28, 2009
Reporting from Denver -- Although the Dodgers have the second-best earned-run average in the major leagues, General Manager Ned Colletti said the pitching staff needs significant improvement.

"We can't go to the bullpen every day as early and as often as we do," Colletti said.

Chad Billingsley has worked at least six innings in all 10 of his starts and Randy Wolf has done so in eight of his 10 starts. The other starters -- Clayton Kershaw, Eric Stults, James McDonald, Jeff Weaver, Eric Milton and Hiroki Kuroda -- have combined for 28 starts and have failed to last six innings in 23 of them.

The Dodgers are carrying eight relievers, but Manager Joe Torre appears to put most of his trust in closer Jonathan Broxton, Ramon Troncoso and rookie Ronald Belisario.

The Dodgers have the largest lead in any division in baseball, but Colletti said that does not necessarily buy more time for the pitchers on the staff.
"If we could make a move, we'd do it, no matter the lead, no matter the deficit," Colletti said. "The goal is to improve the club."

Colletti said he had talked this season with the San Diego Padres about Jake Peavy, the ace they agreed to trade to the Chicago White Sox last week. Peavy vetoed the deal, and Colletti said he had not spoken with the Padres since then.

Vote for Ramirez

The Dodgers won't be campaigning to get Manny Ramirez into the All-Star game, but a fan in New York is taking it upon himself to do so.

Jason Rosenberg, a 39-year-old New York Yankees fan, set up a site to encourage fans to vote for Ramirez, who was fourth among National League outfielders in the first round of balloting even though he is serving a 50-game suspension for violating baseball's drug policy.

"I'm not pro-steroids," Rosenberg said, adding that he wants to see Ramirez voted into the game because it would be "a perfect opportunity to poke fun of all the goofy rules in baseball."

Rosenberg set up the site, voteformanny.blogspot.com, on Tuesday. He said that by Wednesday afternoon, the site had received about 10,000 hits.

"You can use steroids, make the Hall of Fame, make $200 million and get voted into the All-Star game," Rosenberg said. "What's the deterrent? Personal shame?"

Short hops

The Dodgers aren't taking any chances with Rafael Furcal's surgically repaired back. Furcal was held out for the third straight day because of pain in his left buttock. Furcal is expected back in the lineup today. . . . Kuroda gave up nine hits and seven runs (five earned) in a rehab start for Class-A Inland Empire on Wednesday. "I'm not at a point where I can return to the majors with my chest stuck out, but I hope to get back as soon as possible," he said.

[email protected]

[email protected]
[h1]Manny an All-Star? OK with Manuel[/h1]
Daily News Wire Services

Even a 50-game drug suspension might not be enough to keep Dodgers slugger Manny Ramirez off the National League All-Star squad.
A Yankees fan in suburban New York created a Web site designed to point out that no rule prevents players coming off a drug suspension from being elected as an All-Star - which is just fine with NL manager Charlie Manuel, of the Phillies.

"The All-Star Game is for the fans, and I think if he got voted in, then it would be appropriate for him to play," Manuel said yesterday. "Once he serves his suspension, he's paid his penalty, and he's just like every other player."

Ramirez, who was suspended May 7, was fourth among NL outfielders this week. He is eligible to be reinstated on July 3, with the All-Star Game set for 11 days later in St. Louis.

"It would be too interesting, too funny, too pick-your-adjective to see Manny get elected," said Jason Rosenberg, 39, the creator of voteformanny.blogspot.com. On the site, he has a link to All-Star balloting, with the note: "Remember, vote early and often!" *

You have to strongly consider trading Pierre when his value is high. He is a high character guy, with a strong work ethic and his current play has only madehim more attractive. The Dodgers don't need Juan Pierre when Manny comes back. If someone could be found to take on the remaining two years ofPierre's salary, it would be even better. Even with the way he is playing, we will still have to pay a portion of his contract, sad. Bottom line is thatMatt Kemp and Andre Ethier are more talented than Pierre. Even despite Ethier's slump. Kemp and Ethier provide more offensively and defensively. LetPierre play out of his mind, his value only goes up. At the end of the day, Pierre is an overpaid bench player.

Even with the way he is playing, trading Pierre is not a tough decision. As soon as the Dodgers find someone to take Pierre without us having to pay a cent,he is gone. I just don't think anyone out there is willing to take on the $20-23 million that Pierre is owed.

Pierre has been great, but he's due to come back to the norm.

Another thing is, because other teams know that there's almost now way he hits .400 if they trade for him, it's going to be tough to get someone totake his contract.

Also, it's been proven time and time again that Ethier and Kemp are better than Juan Pierre. Joe would be foolish if he started him over one of those twoguys on a consistent basis.

That said, if he's still hitting very well when Manny comes back, Joe has to find ABs for him.

I think we're all in agreement that it's a good problem to have.

Heads up, Kershaw going to be on First Take.

Do any of you guys play MLB the Show? Anyways, I saw this thread on OS, and it gotme thinking.

Would you want the Dodgers to have an alternate jersey of some sort, or possibly even a retro?

They had these in 99. They didn't go over well at all.

1195836630_9dd2b684a7_o.png

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Now that the Jays have folded, Ned needs to get after Halladay

I wish. But I think the Jays would ask for everything and the kitchen sink, unless they get real desperate at the last second

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Now that the Jays have folded, Ned needs to get after Halladay

I wish. But I think the Jays would ask for everything and the kitchen sink, unless they get real desperate at the last second
What they would ask for and what they could command considering his salary, what their record could be, and how their attendance shakes out seemlike they could be the opposite ends of the spectrum.

I'd be comfortable giving up 3 of our top 5 prospects for Halladay, anything more than that and I'd get a little shy

Ironman, what if they wore those retros every saturday home game or something, that'd be pretty nice IMO.

Ironman, what if they wore those retros every saturday home game or something, that'd be pretty nice IMO.
They talked about doing it last season, but they didn't go through with it,
frown.gif
. Since it was our 50th anniversary, and 20th since the '88 Series, itwould have been perfect.

I like the fact that are uniforms have been timeless, and have remained that way since the team arrived in 1958.

The only two changes have been adding the names on the back, and then removing them for the 2005 and 2006 season, and changing the Road uni's from"Los Angeles" to "Dodgers" and back to "Los Angeles". Other than that, they are unchanged to the untrained eye (There have beenvariations in font, stitching and layering throughout the years).

I <3 the "Dodgers" gray road uni...
frown.gif

Although I hated them wearing the blue alternates, i so badly need one in my life.

The old road jersey needs to be used, maybe sunday away games or something. not at home though. I bought one, unfortunately its a size 40 but it was purchasedfor autographs

I'm fine with what we have now. I love the blue alternate and the 70's,80's,90's road jersey, maybe we can mix them in once a year.

Has there ever been an official game where the dodgers and giants wore the NY jerseys when they played each other? When they played in LA and Frisco.
That would be sweet.

My favorite all-time Road Uni, is the one they currently use right now, the Los Angeles script is classic looking.

I wouldn't mind seeing that Blue Alternate used maybe a handful of games per year.

PMAC what does halladay's contract/salary look like? I'm sure there will be a market for him and peavy at the deadline, but each is gonna depend onwhat the other gets in trade value.

wassup with kuroda?
come playoff time i think we can have a strong 1-2 with kuroda (depending on how he comes back) and bills. but kershaw hasnt convinced me yet. you dont know what youre gonna get each time he does out there. either throw 100 pitches by the 5th or throw a gem into the 8th

Right-hander Hiroki Kuroda is set to start for Class A Inland Empire on Wednesday night and has a limit of 75 pitches. Kuroda has been on the disabled list with a left oblique strain since April 7 and was 1-0 in one start before his injury, throwing 5 2/3 innings of one-run ball against the Padres on Opening Day. ...

PMAC what does halladay's contract/salary look like? I'm sure there will be a market for him and peavy at the deadline, but each is gonna depend on what the other gets in trade value.

Salary2009: $14,250,000

I can almost guarantee the Jays are gonna try to center a deal around Kershaw or Kemp (which is not worth it).

I am all in favor for packaging: JMac, Elbert, Lambo, Lindbolm, Hu, Abreu though ...

I'd much rather sign a Paul Byrd or Martinez, but Ned has already gone on record and said they're looking to upgrade via trade.

If Manny was able to fall into our laps for Andy LaRoche
sick.gif
, anything ispossible at the trade deadline.

The hell with you guys this weekend.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Let's hope Wolf brings his A-game to start this 4gm series off right.

Back
Top Bottom