..:Official 2008 NL Central Thread:..Congratulations Chicago Cubs...:

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

THe brewers suck, yall supposed to be beating up against each other, but the Brewers are just getting BEAT DOWN. THe hell happened??

Yall need to AT LEAST split the series so we can be 1 game down from the Brewers and 2 games down from the Cubs, but you've already used the Ace and King of spades in your hand.

Thats all if we can sweep the Braves of course.

they lose 2 games and now they suck?

W.e we will see whose in the playoffs.

Dude, poor class by Brewer players today. After D-Lee fouled a ball off his leg, you could see Brewer players clapping. SMH

^^ and as Aramis was rounding first base after another double, Fielder tried slowing him down by wrapping his right arm around him..

41314050.jpg

41313721.jpg

Zambrano Dominant, Offense Gets In Gear
Cubs Beat Brewers 7-1
MILWAUKEE - Brewers manager Ned Yost was asked before Tuesday night's game whether the Cubs would get a huge psychological lift if they beat Ben Sheetsafter handling CC Sabathia on Monday.

"Psychological lifts evaporate about the first of August," Yost replied. "And we're not even there yet, so …"

A couple of hours later the Cubs battered Sheets in the sixth inning of a 7-1 victory, taking a 2-0 lead in the four-game showdown between the NL Centralleaders.

Whether Yost is channeling Dr. Sigmund Freud remains to be seen, but beating the Brewers' pair of aces on back-to-back nights at Miller Park was definitelya pick-me-up for a Cubs team that has struggled to win on the road all season.

Carlos Zambrano pitched eight innings of shutout ball, improving to 12-4, and the Cubs knocked out 15 hits, breaking open a tight game by stringing togetherseven straight hits off Sheets during a five-run sixth.

"He was good, man," Brewers center fielder Mike Cameron said.

"I don't think too many pitches were over the plate, but the ball was cutting, sinking, diving … He was just throwing it everywhere, moving it around.Making up pitches. I think he had fun out there."

With the win, the Cubs increased their lead over Milwaukee to three games while remaining four games ahead of third-place St. Louis.

"We're pleased that we won the first two," Cubs manager Lou Piniella said. "Let's not relax now. We've got two more important gamesto play, and hopefully they go our way."

The Cubs already have made a statement in the series. They are buoyed by the fact that their starters lead the league in pitching, and the staff as a wholeleads the league in pitching since the All-Star break.

"I think [the two wins are] huge," said Mark DeRosa, who drove in two runs. "It's early, but at the same point it gives our team a lot ofconfidence to beat two quality pitchers on back-to-back nights. But it doesn't mean anything if we don't go out there and win one of the next two gamesand take the series."

The Cubs led 1-0 in the sixth when Kosuke Fukudome's two-run triple past a diving Ryan Braun ignited the five-run inning, knocking Sheets out of the game.Aramis Ramirez finished the night with four hits, including three doubles.

After finishing June on the disabled list, Zambrano ended July with a 4-1 record, allowing two or fewer runs in four of his five starts. He scattered five hitsTuesday, tying a season high with nine strikeouts while walking only two.

Zambrano was lifted after eight innings and 118 pitches, and the Brewers avoided the shutout by scoring off Jeff Samardzija in the ninth.

"We want to get this guy late-inning closing ... uh, pitching experience on the road," Piniella said. "It's part of the education ofpitching in the bullpen."

The only time Zambrano became unglued was after popping up a bunt in the fifth inning. He promptly broke a bat over his knee, tempting fate but avoiding aninjury.

Piniella wasn't as upset as he was when Zambrano did it in May at Wrigley Field, but he also knows Zambrano's legs are almost as important as his arm.

"I just don't want to see a nice big bone bruise on his thigh for no reason," Piniella said. "I wish I was strong enough to do that when Iplayed. I had to use a water cooler."

I am not worried about the starting pitching anymore. I think we have the best starting rotation in the league. I would like to see the bats come alive for afew games in a row. I am not saying that i am concerned about the Cubs batting, its a long season every team goes through batting droughts, I would like to seethe cubs put up 6 to 10 runs for a few games in a row. I just would. lol.

Originally Posted by Jehlers02

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

THe brewers suck, yall supposed to be beating up against each other, but the Brewers are just getting BEAT DOWN. THe hell happened??

Yall need to AT LEAST split the series so we can be 1 game down from the Brewers and 2 games down from the Cubs, but you've already used the Ace and King of spades in your hand.

Thats all if we can sweep the Braves of course.

they lose 2 games and now they suck?

W.e we will see whose in the playoffs.

Im saying they suck because they are loosing to the cubs and i want them to beat them............they obviously arent coming through in the big games, itlooks like they are scared of them or something..........You are already soft on the inside, dont get soft on the outside too lil homie

The only time Zambrano became unglued was after popping up a bunt in the fifth inning. He promptly broke a bat over his knee, tempting fate but avoiding an injury.

Piniella wasn't as upset as he was when Zambrano did it in May at Wrigley Field, but he also knows Zambrano's legs are almost as important as his arm.

"I just don't want to see a nice big bone bruise on his thigh for no reason," Piniella said. "I wish I was strong enough to do that when I played. I had to use a water cooler."

I just noticed this. I dont think i could break a baseball bat over my thigh, and i am a big dude (pause). Have any of you guys attempted to dothis?

Originally Posted by tylerdub

I am not worried about the starting pitching anymore. I think we have the best starting rotation in the league. I would like to see the bats come alive for a few games in a row. I am not saying that i am concerned about the Cubs batting, its a long season every team goes through batting droughts, I would like to see the cubs put up 6 to 10 runs for a few games in a row. I just would. lol.

exactly it seemed for the last 10 or so games we were struggling to put up points or even get hits, but our pitching was still doing its job, without woodand with marmol struggling (he seems to have gotten over that hump and is looking like he did earlier in the season), we have now added samardjiza who islooking great, jon lieber is on the dl we will get him back at just the right time of the season, and all that when our batting is looking like its about toexplode these past 3 games played, we are getting hot at the just the right time of the season and STILL UP 3 GAMES
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by tylerdub

The only time Zambrano became unglued was after popping up a bunt in the fifth inning. He promptly broke a bat over his knee, tempting fate but avoiding an injury.

"I just don't want to see a nice big bone bruise on his thigh for no reason," Piniella said. "I wish I was strong enough to do that when I played. I had to use a water cooler."
I just noticed this. I dont think i could break a baseball bat over my thigh, and i am a big dude (pause). Have any of you guys attempted to do this?

Unfortunately, yes I have, and success?
laugh.gif
I Almost cried cause myleg hurt so bad. It's almost a lost art, you know? I remember Bo Jackson doing that basically anytime he didn't pound one to the gaps. But Zambrano hasalways been an emotional guy, so it's kind of expected.

Good to see Carpenter back. i used to hate him back when we were good and fighting with the cards for the top in the division. Dude was probably the bestpitcher in the game for 2 years and always killed us. but we suck, anyone can beat us now.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

Good to see Carpenter back. i used to hate him back when we were good and fighting with the cards for the top in the division. Dude was probably the best pitcher in the game for 2 years and always killed us. but we suck, anyone can beat us now.
laugh.gif

I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's good to see Carpenter back. I wish he'd retire forever and start a driveway pavement company.

I'll just say that's its "good" to see him alive and "well".

Back
Top Bottom