Offical 2009-10 NBA Season Thread

Whats with the hate against him though?

looking at the boxscore though, 5 BA,
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

smh at dunleavy killing my fg% for fantasy this whole week. better step it up tomorrow.
smh.gif
smh.gif

The two Wizards who continue to draw the most interest from rival teams are forwards Caron Butler (who will have an array of Western Conference suitors when Washington decides that it's finally ready to break up its core) and Antawn Jamison (who is fiercely loyal but quite frustrated, as I hear it, by the ongoing disarray with the Wiz).

Jamison has been on the Cavaliers' radar for some time, as the ever-reliable Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer reminded us in his column last Sunday, but it's believed that Cleveland would only do a Zydrunas Ilguaskas-for-Jamison deal if it knew that the Wizards were prepared to release Ilgauskas after consummating the trade. Big Z could then re-sign with the Cavs after a 30-day wait, as seen last season when Antonio McDyess was dealt from Detroit to Denver in the Allen Iverson deal and later rejoined the Pistons.

Yet I'm told that the Wizards A) would insist on at least one more asset because they do no want to part with Butler or Jamison merely for cap relief and B) would do everything they could to avoid sending Jamison to Cleveland because of the tension that has built up in recent years between those teams.
http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/dailydi...imester-awards

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Mo-Parker/West-LeBron-Jamison-Shaq ???

Jamison would be like a hired gun for this season's championship run. And if the Cavs could managed to get Big Z back?
smokin.gif

But his contract + his age?
sick.gif
sick.gif

the end of the bolded part pretty much told you your answer.

its not happening. GA would never let his pal join shaq. maybe a lockeroom fight though?
laugh.gif

Scoring wise, I think Jamison will be fine as he gets older. He's a versatile offensive player that relies on skill and positioning more than athleticism.

i said it before and was laughed at, ill say it again...add Jamison and that's my pick to win the title.

but you have to guard him also.

who at the 4 position in the playoffs is going to go off on him like that in a 7 game series??

Defense only matters if you have someone who can make that weakness an extreme liability

I'd trade the defense for someone who can go get their own shot other than Bron

I think we'd all agree they can't stand pat and expect to win. It could backfire but if the only options are he or Murphy, gota go with Jamison

Murphy is a way better option then Tawn. younger, shoots + rebounds better, although hes mainly a spot up shooter imo.

sort of clears the paint for Shaq/James too.

Corey Brewer 27 points, 7 boards tonight...

He's been playing fairly decent as of late. He'll have plays that make you want to bang your head against a wall but he will also shows flashes of thereally solid player he could be. His problem though is he can't figure out a way to be that particular player on aconsistent basis.

bb88bcaa3ee52f182d2f1daf9f258c71-getty-90042416ds014_wzrds_twolvs.jpg

It was nice to have Tyrus back tonight. 21 and 9

Even though our team is struggling Noah is having a great season 17, 18, and 4 blocks tonight
sick.gif

did you guys see that dunk on blatche by hollins? That was some crazy $!#$! 2nd best dunk of the year so far IMO.

[h2]Sources: Del Negro firing closer[/h2]Updated: December 27, 2009, 8:02 PM ET
The decision to fire head coach Vinny Del Negro has already been made, according to sources with knowledge of the Chicago Bulls' thinking. The fact that the Bulls' front office has not been able to settle on a replacement is the main thing keeping the embattled Del Negro employed, the sources said.

There were discussions recently within the organization about having John Paxson, Chicago's executive vice president of basketball operations, take over the team, but Paxson ultimately decided against it. Then, according to sources, Chicago contacted former Bulls coach Doug Collins, a candidate for the job two years ago when Del Negro was hired, but Collins was not interested in coaching the club.

Phone messages left for Paxson and Bulls general manager Gar Forman were not returned.

Chicago, which will have approximately $15 million in cap space next summer, would like to have a permanent coach in place well before the long-awaited free-agent bonanza of 2010 begins.

The Bulls would prefer not to promote an assistant coach, either Bernie Bickerstaff or Pete Myers, to interim status, but if they can't settle on a permanent replacement for Del Negro, they may have to go that route.

A strong run by the Bulls, who beat New Orleans Saturday night after the return of Tyrus Thomas from a broken arm, could delay Del Negro's eventual firing, but there is practically no chance he would coach the team beyond this season.

Del Negro's first season in Chicago was largely viewed as disappointing until the Bulls stunned the Boston Celtics by taking them to seven games in the first round of last season's playoffs. Coming off that impressive performance, this season's 11-17 record is a colossal disappointment.

There is no shortage of reputable coaches available. Byron Scott, who was fired by New Orleans earlier this season, would seem to be a logical candidate. Avery Johnson, who sources say is on the short list of coaching candidates for New Orleans and New Jersey next season, along with Jeff Van Gundy, Sam Mitchell and Lawrence Frank, have all had successful coaching careers. Scott, Johnson and Mitchell have all been named NBA Coach of the Year.

Chris Broussard covers the NBA for ESPN The Magazine

[h3]Lakers not as good as advertised?[/h3]
2:42PM ET

[h5]Los Angeles Lakers[/h5]
Top Email

Even with Friday night's blowout loss to the Cavs, the Lakers still are tied for the best record in the NBA at 23-5.

ESPN's Marc Stein had them atop his power rankings this week. Many think they're the best team in the league and it's their title to lose.

But as ESPN Los Angeles' Dave McMenamin writes, the Lakers have benefited from a soft schedule, and their weak bench play is a concern.

"It was the kind of loss that makes you rethink all those previous victories, he writes. "The Lakers are 6-5 on the season against teams that had better than .500 records as of Dec. 25.

"The bench has been wildly inconsistent. With Odom averaging a career low in points, neither Jordan Farmar nor Shannon Brown emerging as Fisher's No. 1 backup, Sasha Vujacic still struggling with his shot and Luke Walton being injured, L.A. doesn't have depth comparable to that of many of its opponents ...

"The schedule, although out of the team's control, has heavily favored the Lakers thus far as it has been overloaded with home games and opponents with lousy records."

One guy may have had it right. ESPN's John Hollinger's power rankings -- which take a number of things into consideration, such as strength of schedule -- have the Lakers No. 4 with the Celtics, Hawks and Cavs filling out the top three spots, respectively.

http:// [h3]Westbrook an all-star?[/h3]
2:38PM ET

[h5]Russell Westbrook | Thunder[/h5]
Top Email

It's widely considered that Chris Paul and Deron Williams are the two best point guards in the NBA, with Steve Nash and Rajon Rondo not far behind. Derrick Rose is a budding superstar and Monta Ellis is among the most underrated players in the league. But Rose has competition for the fastest-rising star point guard, and it may not be long until the same can be said about Paul and Williams' stranglehold on the top spots among the circuit's point guards.

Oklahoma City's Russell Westbrook is now No. 9 in the league in assists and over his past six games has committed just 10 turnovers. He can score, too -- nearly 17 a game this season and poured in 22 on Saturday night. But that's not all. Westbrook also averages five rebounds per game and is already one of the better defensive guards in basketball.

What's all of this add up to? A couple things, actually. One, Westbrook is teaming up with Kevin Durant in a valiant attempt to get the Thunder in the playoffs, and Durant thinks the results are All-Star worthy.

http:// [h3]McGrady to be traded?[/h3]
2:35PM ET

[h5]Tracy McGrady | Rockets[/h5]
Top Email

There's only one thing running through the mind of the greedy armchair GM after reading that Tracy McGrady and Houston Rockets head coach Rick Adelman do not agree on the player's role with the team and that McGrady left the team to head home: Where's he getting traded?

With Chase Budinger and Trevor Ariza playing well -- McGrady's days in Houston may be numbered, and numerous team would likely share trade interest in McGrady, who, if healthy, is one of the league's best scorers.

One of the first teams that comes to mind is Chicago, who could use a scorer to replace the points vacated by Ben Gordon, who signed with Detroit last summer.

http:// [h3]Artest out?[/h3]
11:04AM ET

[h5]Ron Artest | Lakers[/h5]
Top Email

Los Angeles Lakers forward Ron Artest fell at his home, sustaining an injured elbow and a concussion after the team's game with the Cleveland Cavaliers on Friday.

His status is listed as day-to-day (aren't we all?) but it's unknown whether Artest will play Monday at Phoenix. If he does not, LaMar Odom is the likely starter at forward in his place.

Artest has been the Lakers enforcer of sorts, tackling the opposing team's best wing players on a nightly basis. The team may look to change things up for the short term if Artest misses any time.

http:// [h3]No. 1 pick to debut in January?[/h3]
10:47AM ET

[h5]Blake Griffin | Clippers[/h5]
Top Email

Los Angeles Clippers forward and the league's No. 1 draft pick last June is making marked progress after suffering a knee injury during the pre-season, and could see the court by the end of January, writes the L.A. Times.

It may be too late for the Clippers to make a playoff push, as they sit 12 games behind the Pacific Division and Western Conference leaders, the cross-town rival Lakers, and 4 1/2 games behind the final playoff spot with four other teams between them, but it's not too late for your fantasy team to get a boost from Griffin's return.

By the time the trade deadline rolls around, Griffin should be 100 percent physically and may very well put up big numbers in terms of scoring and rebounding.

http:// [h3]Prince's return[/h3]
10:40AM ET

[h5]Tayshaun Prince | Pistons[/h5]
Top Email

Detroit Pistons forward Tayshaun Prince was back at practice Saturday and is expected to play Sunday in Toronto, reports the Detroit Free-Press.

Prince was not limited in practice for the first time since he was injured -- 26 games ago -- and his return comes not a day too soon for Detroit, who has lost five straight and fallen in the Eastern Conference Standings.

With Prince back, the Pistons become a much deeper team with role players playing roles rather than trying to fill the shoes of a starter, and his presence on the floor instantly improves the team's defense.

http:// [h3]Jazz getting a new point guard?[/h3]
10:34AM ET

[h5]Utah Jazz[/h5]
Top Email

After the trade that sent Eric Maynor and Matt Harpring to Oklahoma City, the Utah Jazz are down a player, and they plan on signing a point guard, writes Steve Luhm of the Salt Lake Tribune.

The Jazz have Deron Williams and Ronnie Price on the roster already, but said after coach Jerry Sloan and GM Kevin O'Connor met, that the player will be a point guard, but that they will not rush the process.

http:// [h3]Williams in head coaching mix?[/h3]
10:29AM ET

[h5]Portland Trail Blazers[/h5]
Top Email

According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, Trail Blazers assistant coach Monty Williams may be in line for a head coaching job.

"Portland assistant Monty Williams hasn't been hurting his head coaching candidacy lately," he tweets. "He's already on a few GM's short list."

Wojnarowski doesn't say which GM's are keeping an eye on Williams, but with Vinny Del Negro and Mike Dunleavy on the hot seat, Williams could be a name to throw into the ring for the Bulls and Clippers.

http:// [h3]Garnett's head OK?[/h3]
10:24AM ET

[h5]Kevin Garnett | Celtics[/h5]
Top Email

The Celtics were able to topple the Magic Friday afternoon thanks to some stout defense that held the Magic to their season low in field-goal percentage (33.3 percent).

Kevin Garnett was a big part of their defensive precense, but late in the game Garnett slammed his head against the floor and didn't return to the game.

After the game, he said he was OK.

"I'm OK," Garnett told the Boston Globe. "I've had harder falls. I'm just glad we won, to be honest. I'm sure I'll feel it in the morning. But for now, I'm all right."

Considering Garnett's health has been constantly questioned this season, as he's sustained little bumps and bruises in addition to coming off knee surgery, this is one to keep an eye on.

http:// [h3]Wade apathetic on Knicks[/h3]
10:23AM ET

[h5]Dwyane Wade | Heat[/h5]
Top Email

With Dwyane Wade and the Heat taking on the Knicks in a Christmas Day game Friday at Madison Square Garden, you expected the New York media to inquire about the possibility of Wade signing with the Knicks next season.

And inquire they did.

"I don't ever think about the possibility of joining the Knicks," Wade said after the game to the New York Post. "I think of the possibility of the summer. It's going to be a very tough summer thinking about where my future will be.

"I'm here now. It's cold."

Not exactly the most positive response. For now, most believe Wade will be back with the Heat next season, because the team has enough cash to keep him, and sign another top-name free agent.

Expect Wade to re-up with the Heat, or perhaps sign with his hometown Bulls. But the Knicks look unlikely at this point for Wade.

http:// [h3]Roy's new approach[/h3]
10:22AM ET

[h5]Brandon Roy | Trail Blazers[/h5]
Top Email

If the eggnog and rum didn't put you to sleep too early Christmas evening, you may have caught Brandon Roy's sensational performance in Portland. He scored 41 points and notched a career-high 16 field goals in a win over one of the Western Conference's best teams -- the Nuggets.

So what did Roy attribute his outburst to? He approached Christmas Day just like any other game day. According to the Oregonian, Roy spent most of the day leading up to the game by himself. After presents with his wife and kids early in the morning, Roy hung out alone until his parents showed. After giving them their presents, he again retreated to his room.

"I just felt like last year I didn't approach the Christmas Day game like I should," Roy said. "I enjoyed the day. Today, I said, 'No. I have a game tonight. I'm going to relax.' My family understood that."

http:// [h3]Discipline coming for Bryant?[/h3]
10:22AM ET

[h5]Kobe Bryant | Lakers[/h5]
Top Email

It's clear the Lakers lacked a little composure Friday night in the second half, as the team -- as well as their fans -- racked up technical fouls. The Lakers appeared frustrated, and oftentimes took it out with some cheap shots to their opponents.

But one specific play has the Cavs a little irked. In the third quarter after Mo Williams scored 12 consecutive points and the Lakers had the ball, Kobe Bryant came from behind Williams, knocked him to the ground and Williams slammed down hard, injuring his lower back a bit.

"Team officials declined to comment but it is expected they will ask the league to review Bryant's actions on that play," writes Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "He has been fined and suspended in the past for dirty plays."

Mike Dunleavy's week: 4 games, 96 minutes, 6-36 from the field (17%), 2-13 from three (15%), 15 points, 14 rebounds, 7 assists and 11 turnovers

laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom