Offical 2009-10 NBA Season Thread

7. Chris Paul
Myleast favorite trend of the No Benjamins Association era: teamstwisting the truth about potentially serious injuries so they don'thurt ticket sales, or because they know the media won't challenge theirstories and call them out afterward. After seeing Boston string Celticsfans along with KG's bum knee and the Clippers legitimately lie aboutBlake Griffin's knee injury, when I heard the Hornets claim CP3 wouldmiss only "four to six weeks" after "minor" knee surgery, my BSDetector started beeping. Especially since we learned that doctors removed Paul's torn meniscus ligament rather than repairing it.

Intrigued, I asked Will Carroll (the injury expert for BaseballProspectus and Basketball Prospectus) for his thoughts. Will pointed metoward a piece he wrote about meniscus removal a few years ago. The key section: "Onereason teams are so quick to allow this surgery is that the playerscome back so quickly, usually in a matter of weeks. But … surgeonsdon't repair the meniscus in most cases; they just take it out, eitherin part or in whole depending on the size of the tearing. That leavesthe athlete with no shock. Eventually, with the remaining meniscusoverstressed and aging, they end up with the bones grinding together.Yes, that's as bad as it sounds in a game of running and jumping."

(Hold on, we have to wait for the Hornets fans to clear out that puke from their mouths. Waiting … waiting … OK, we're good.)

Yeah that does not sound good. CP3, done?

Anyway, can someone give some feedback on the Nuggets - Cavs game last night?

Fromthe highlights it pretty much seemed like Melo outplayed Bron. Yeah iknow LeBron had a sick triple double, but still Melo just seemed moreefficient. Especially scoring when it counted. Gotta love his jumper.

Originally Posted by CP1708

7. Chris Paul
My least favorite trend of the No Benjamins Association era: teams twisting the truth about potentially serious injuries so they don't hurt ticket sales, or because they know the media won't challenge their stories and call them out afterward. After seeing Boston string Celtics fans along with KG's bum knee and the Clippers legitimately lie about Blake Griffin's knee injury, when I heard the Hornets claim CP3 would miss only "four to six weeks" after "minor" knee surgery, my BS Detector started beeping. Especially since we learned that doctors removed Paul's torn meniscus ligament rather than repairing it.

Intrigued, I asked Will Carroll (the injury expert for Baseball Prospectus and Basketball Prospectus) for his thoughts. Will pointed me toward a piece he wrote about meniscus removal a few years ago. The key section: "One reason teams are so quick to allow this surgery is that the players come back so quickly, usually in a matter of weeks. But … surgeons don't repair the meniscus in most cases; they just take it out, either in part or in whole depending on the size of the tearing. That leaves the athlete with no shock. Eventually, with the remaining meniscus overstressed and aging, they end up with the bones grinding together. Yes, that's as bad as it sounds in a game of running and jumping."

(Hold on, we have to wait for the Hornets fans to clear out that puke from their mouths. Waiting … waiting … OK, we're good.)
Uh oh. 
damn i hope cp didnt rush into this
smh.gif
.....i'd rather miss the season and get my knee straight instead of rush and have a naturally bad knee in 5 years
eyes.gif

Melo...
pimp.gif

And...uh...when did Brewer get traded to the Grizz? I gave up on following everything yesterday.

Originally Posted by DLo13

And...uh...when did Brewer get traded to the Grizz? I gave up on following everything yesterday.

Right before the deadline ended.

According to some people, Ronnie Brewer > Rudy Gay.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

7. Chris Paul
My least favorite trend of the No Benjamins Association era: teams twisting the truth about potentially serious injuries so they don't hurt ticket sales, or because they know the media won't challenge their stories and call them out afterward. After seeing Boston string Celtics fans along with KG's bum knee and the Clippers legitimately lie about Blake Griffin's knee injury, when I heard the Hornets claim CP3 would miss only "four to six weeks" after "minor" knee surgery, my BS Detector started beeping. Especially since we learned that doctors removed Paul's torn meniscus ligament rather than repairing it.

Intrigued, I asked Will Carroll (the injury expert for Baseball Prospectus and Basketball Prospectus) for his thoughts. Will pointed me toward a piece he wrote about meniscus removal a few years ago. The key section: "One reason teams are so quick to allow this surgery is that the players come back so quickly, usually in a matter of weeks. But … surgeons don't repair the meniscus in most cases; they just take it out, either in part or in whole depending on the size of the tearing. That leaves the athlete with no shock. Eventually, with the remaining meniscus overstressed and aging, they end up with the bones grinding together. Yes, that's as bad as it sounds in a game of running and jumping."

Just thought I'd put my .02 in from personal experience.  I've had 3 knee surgeries, all for a torn lateral meniscus.  First surgery they clipped the torn piece off, second one they repaired, and third one they clipped the torn piece off again.  Doctor said if I tore it again he would just remove it, and made it sound like no big deal.  But for an NBA player, it might be.

I'm pretty sure the meniscus is not a ligament, it is actually cartilage.  You have two meniscus per knee, a medial and lateral.  They are the pieces of cartilage that your knee rests on.  They're actually only the size of a dime.  I'm not sure which one Paul tore, I don't know if they specified. 

Doctor did tell me though that once you tear it once, it is very likely you will tear it again. 

Oh and it is very minor knee surgery, and recovery time is easily 4-6 weeks.  I don't think a removal makes it any more serious of a procedure.  I had surgery in September and was perfectly fine for basketball season in October.

Originally Posted by emil23j

Anyway, can someone give some feedback on the Nuggets - Cavs game last night?

Fromthe highlights it pretty much seemed like Melo outplayed Bron. Yeah iknow LeBron had a sick triple double, but still Melo just seemed moreefficient. Especially scoring when it counted. Gotta love his jumper.
Melo got hot late, played more efficiently, didn't take every damn shot late, and hit a huge jumper at the end.

LBJ had about 3 three point attempts in a minute where he bricked all three.

My dude AA did pretty good defensively.

Bron/Melo was one incredible game.  We'll be watching that game over and over for years. 

As much as I would love to stick a fork in Boston, I still can see them getting it figured out in the postseason.  But God Damn I wanted to bury them last night.  Damn it. 
smh.gif

Anyone else like seeing KG walk away head down when Odom was yappin at him? 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I've overlooked Denver all year, they are too stupid to scare me, but I am noticing them.  They love to play against the big guys.  That could be a problem. 

Anyone else like seeing KG walk away head down when Odom was yappin at him? 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

odom was like "HAHA" to kg
laugh.gif
...if odom was a little european you can bet kg would try to regulate

CP how can you overlook denver?...theyve been behind our heels all year long! denver is truly legit though...billups really makes them that much better and melo has been playing out his mind...theyll no doubt make the western conference finals

if odom was a little european you can bet kg would try to regulate
laugh.gif
..."Regulators...MOUNT UP!"
laugh.gif

And are we *cough* JA *cough* really going to act like Bron didn't just accomplish something since Pistol Pete?!

Pete27-773806.jpg

Baddest white boy of All Time (on the right).
pimp.gif

It is to the point he can throw a stat line out there like that and we don't flinch.

I'm interested to see what Nate brings to the C's. Some new blood, could be a shot in the arm.

[h2]
[h2]Conduct may have led to Howard trade[/h2]
By Tim MacMahon
ESPNDallas.com
Archive

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Forward Josh Howard missed a game because of a hangover, according to multiple team sources, adding to his list of questionable off-court conduct toward the end of his tenure with the Dallas Mavericks.

[h4]More on the Mavs[/h4]
dal.gif

News, notes and analysis of the Mavericks from ESPNDallas.com's Jeff Caplan, Tim MacMahon and the rest of our team. Blog.

Multiple team sources said Howard missed the Mavericks' Jan. 20 win over the Washington Wizards because of a hangover after a night of partying.

Howard refused comment.

That reaffirmed the Mavericks' intention to move forward without Howard, who did not start another game after sitting out against the Wizards, when he missed the morning shootaround and did not dress for that game. The Mavericks, who were already shopping Howard and wanted to protect his trade value, announced that he had a stomach illness.

Howard, who was traded to the Wizards last week as part of a seven-player deal that brought Caron Butler and Brendan Haywood to Dallas, told reporters after his Washington debut that he intended to "stick it to the Mavs."

Members of Dallas' front office stood behind Howard after a controversial stretch in 2008. Howard revealed in a radio interview during a playoff series against the New Orleans Hornets that he occasionally smoked marijuana. Days later, after a critical loss, Howard in the locker room passed out flyers to his birthday party, prompting then-coach Avery Johnson to cancel the next day's practice.

That summer, Howard was arrested in North Carolina for street racing. The incident was followed by a video surfacing of him disparaging the national anthem at a charity flag football game, with Howard saying, "I don't celebrate this [expletive]. I'm black."

Howard often clashed with Mavs coach Rick Carlisle over the last season and a half, although Carlisle has been nothing but complimentary of Howard before and since the trade. According to a source, Howard's diminished work ethic had become a problematic issue with players and coaches, which was one of the factors that led to the team's decision to trade him.

Howard had value to the cost-cutting Wizards because his contract, which includes a team option for $11.8 million for next season, is expiring.

Tim MacMahon covers the Mavericks for ESPN Dallas. You can follow him on Twitter or leave a question for his weekly mailbag.
[/h2]

Josh told Dallas radio guys those rumors were 100% false and he was having his lawyers look into who/how those got out...

I find it hard to believe, but either way it's time to move on..

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Josh told Dallas radio guys those rumors were 100% false and he was having his lawyers look into who/how those got out...

I find it hard to believe, but either way it's time to move on..

its true.....idk what to say about josh....money got that dude head all messed up.....he's just dumb.....word to him signing a birth certificate for a random jo baby only to find out it wasn't his
smh.gif

If anyone cares...
[h1][/h1]
[h1]Well-traveled Darko Milicic said to be distraught after trade to the Timberwolves[/h1]
2/18/2010 10:41:15 PM
By Phil Miller
Star Tribune

MINNEAPOLIS— Darko Milicic will be at Target Center on Friday night, and theTimberwolves insist they're happy about that. For the moment, they maybe the only ones.

David Kahn met with Milicic and his agent,Marc Cornstein, on Thursday in New York and tried to convince one ofthe most notorious flops in NBA draft history that being traded to theTimberwolves is an opportunity, not an aggravation.

It wasn't easy.

"Idon't think you can understate how traumatized he is — it's not astretch to say 'distraught' — about how his NBA career has played out,"the Wolves' president said, one day after obtaining the seldom-usedKnicks center in exchange for forward Brian Cardinal. "You can'treverse that much frustration in one meeting."

Particularlysince Milicic had made it clear he wants his NBA career to end as soonas possible. The former No. 2 pick in the 2003 draft — he was famously,and calamitously, chosen ahead of all-stars Carmelo Anthony, Chris Boshand Dwyane Wade — hasn't played since Nov. 13, and last month told theNew York Post he wanted the Knicks to buy out the final two months ofhis $7.5 million contract and let him go home to Serbia.

"I told(Cornstein) I'm not mentally or physically ready to play in any othercity, to play for any other team," Milicic said at the time.

Aftermeeting with Kahn, Milicic's position hasn't changed much, the Wolves'president said, particularly since it means uprooting his wife andinfant daughter. But he swallowed his disappointment over thetransaction — "He sees this latest trade as just one more incident thathas befallen him," Kahn said — and agreed to report to the Wolves intime for tonight's game with the Bulls.

He could even play, Kahnsaid, if he's willing. "In the abstract he'd love to play right away,but he's worried about not being in game shape anymore. Darko has a lotof pride," Kahn said. "We left it up to him."

The Timberwolvesdon't have much time, though. Only 27 games remain in this eyesore of aseason, and on Milicic's contract. Does he really have NBA talent, andcould he help the Wolves, and if so, can he be convinced to remain inthe NBA after seven tortuous seasons?

Both sides must make snap judgments.

TheWolves, at least, have seen occasional flashes of great talent, thoughKahn cautioned that he isn't expecting some sudden transformation inMilicic's game. Still, with nothing to lose during a 13-42 season, it'sworth seeing if that potential can somehow be tapped.

"When hefirst came in with Detroit, he was a versatile big guy," said Wolvescoach Kurt Rambis, who will meet with Milicic on Friday morning. "Hecould defend, he could block shots, he could shoot the basketball fromdistance, he could pass, he could score inside."

The 7-1 Milicicwas only 17 when he was drafted By the Pistons, heard constantunflattering comparisons to the all-stars drafted around him, andplayed only rarely. He seemed about to blossom playing alongside DwightHoward in Orlando, averaging 8.0 points and 5.5 rebounds in 2006-07,but his numbers have declined again each season since, bottoming outthis year in New York.

The lack of success caused Milicic, who'sstill only 24, to lash out in December. "The NBA, all around theleague, same (garbage): 'Your chance is going to come,' " said Milicic,who has never averaged even 24 minutes a game. " ... I'm going home toEurope."

Kahn said he tried to allay that distrust Thursday, but"it can't be done overnight. The only thing that will change that is,he will see over a period of time that we mean what we say."

Themeeting helped, Cornstein said. "I'm a believer when a trade happens,it's a new opportunity that you make the most of," he said. "I thinkDarko will."

Yes, but for 27 games, or beyond April?

"Iwouldn't read too much into his comments. He's (in Minnesota) now,that's what's important," Cornstein said. "I feel like this could endup positively for both sides."

Andray Blatche is a new man... 33 & 13 last game, 12 & 7 halfway through the 1st tonight. hes really taking advantage of the void Jamison left... i predict he will be an All-Star (or at least, he'll have All-Star caliber #s) within the next 2-3 years.

Blatche shows sporadic signs of greatness every season. It's a matter of doing it over a longer period of time.

When did Raymond Felton get so fat? He looks like he's about 6'1", 235 right now.
laugh.gif

Jamison has been on the floor for maybe six minutes and he's had at least three shots blocked that I've seen.
laugh.gif

Edit: Make that four.
laugh.gif
In about nine minutes, officially. 0-6.

Sources confirmed that the Warriors -- both early in the season andagain closer to the deadline -- discussed a deal with Memphis thatwould have sent Monta Ellis to the Grizzlies for a package headlined byGrizz guard O.J. Mayo.

The sides didn't reach a consensus on adeal, partly because the Warriors have quibbled with the pieces thatwould be added to Mayo to make the salary-cap math work, but file thisone away for the offseason because it makes some sense to both teams.

Memphisis reasonably close to Ellis' Mississippi base, which would give theGrizzlies a psuedo-hometown star if such a deal ever went through. Abig, strong guard with ballhandling ability like Mayo, meanwhile, isprecisely what many scouts believe Golden State ultimately has to havein tandem with fast-improving rookie Steph Curry.

PerhapsGolden State wants to wait until it knows where it's drafting in Junebefore parting with Ellis, but it seems safe to suggest that we betteradd the future of the Curry-Ellis backcourt to the long list of storiesto track in what is already being billed as one of the busiestoffseasons in the history of the NBA's Transaction Game.
I'm pretty sure it will be discussed again. Ellis is what most Memphis fans want OJ to be. Explosive guard who can get to the rim at will. The only thing about it is that a Ellis/Brewer frontcourt would not have any type of outside shooting. I don't know exactly why Memphis would want to do it because it would add less shooting on the team.

Ellis was better than OJ during his 2nd season in the league and he's only two years older. I think they should give OJ more time to see exactly what he can become before just dealing him off so quickly.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

When did Raymond Felton get so fat? He looks like he's about 6'1", 235 right now.
laugh.gif

Yo, Felton has always been a lil bit chunky
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom