Offical 2009-10 NBA Season Thread

ROY Candidate Battle

Curry:
24pts, 6 rebounds, 15 assist, 3 TO's, 3 steals, 10-15 FG

Evans:
17pts, 5 rebounds, 10 assist, 6 TO's, 3 steals, 6-12 FG

Originally Posted by Chester the Cheetah

Blake and Outlaw... that was so painful to watch.
sick.gif
laugh.gif

Looks like Nate can bust out the Kryptonate shoes again.
Those things were lime green though...

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Jamison makes Cavs title favorites[/h1]The Cleveland Cavaliers have become title favorites Wednesday after acquiring two-time All-Star Antawn Jamison for -- potentially -- very little.

The three-team deal sends Jamison and Sebastian Telfair to the Cavaliers, Drew Gooden to the Clippers, and Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Al Thornton, Brian Skinner and Cleveland's first-round pick to Washington. Note that the Cavs didn't have to surrender young forward J.J. Hickson in the deal.
Nowwatch for news of an expected buyout by Washington of Ilgauskas, whichwould enable the 7-foot-3 center to return to Cleveland after 30 daysto come off the bench and match up with the Lakers in the NBA Finals.

Jamisonwas warming up with his Wizards teammates Wednesday before their gamein Washington against the Timberwolves when he was pulled off the courtand informed of the trade.

Two things stand out about thistrade. First was that Cleveland was in the driver's seat -- the Cavsand the Mavericks being the only contenders willing to take on longtermcontracts -- and that general manager Danny Ferry executed the turns perfectly. He was able to leverage interest in Phoenix's Amare Stoudemire in order to drive down the price on Jamison, who was viewed by many rivals as the best possible fit for Cleveland.

Secondis that this trade, more than anything, is proof that the currentcollective bargaining agreement is broken and badly in need ofoverhaul. If the team with the best record can acquire a no-nonsensestar like Jamison and then retrieve an asset like Ilgauskas, somethingis seriously wrong with the system. No one can say there is anythingdirty about an Ilgauskas buyout either, because it is in the bestinterests of the Wizards to pursue such an agreement to limbothemselves under the luxury tax, and Ilgauskas may well decide it ishis ambition to return home to Cleveland in order to avoid disruptinghis young family. The current CBA has essentially leveraged this deal,with Ferry knowing how to manipulate it in his team's favor.

So now LeBron James can look around at a frontcourt of Shaquille O'Neal,who was an All-Star last year, and Jamison, an All-Star two years agowho is putting up 20.8 points and 8.8 rebounds this season and whosethree-point range will space the floor for Shaq and LeBron and whosematurity will only enhance the Cavs' lockerroom. In the backcourt ispoint guard Mo Williams, an All-Star last year, and coming off thebench may yet be Ilgauskas, a two-time All-Star himself.

Noone can say any longer there isn't star power around LeBron. Perhapsthis confluence of talent will help influence his decision as a freeagent in July?

As for the Wizards, this deal isn't a badmove for them in this oppressive market. They wind up receiving thefirst-round pick of the Cavs and Al Thornton as a promising youngplayer from the Clippers -- comparable to what Phoenix was proposed byCleveland for Stoudemire, when the Cavs were said to be offering theirNo. 1 and Hickson. After they unloaded Caron Butler last weekto Dallas, the Wizards were on the path of no return and the departureof the large salary of Jamison, a 33 year old who is owed $28.5 millionover the next two full seasons, puts Washington on the fast-track torebuild their roster for likely new owner Ted Leonsis.

TheClippers gain the expiring $4.5 million salary of Gooden, who -- if heisn't bought out to return to Dallas -- will serve as a short-termfrontcourt replacement for the departed Marcus Camby following his trade to Portland.

http://sportsillustrated....ison/?cnn=yes&hpt=T2

^ Ignore the title, there's some good info in there.
[h1][/h1]
[h1]Zydrunas Ilgauskas' agent will seek quick buyout from Wizards; 'his heart is in Cleveland, that's for sure'[/h1][h4]By Mary Schmitt Boyer, The Plain Dealer[/h4][h5]February 17, 2010, 11:19PM[/h5]
z-ilgauskasjpg-48785f6de6302e3c_medium.jpg

ZydrunasIlgauskas may receive offers to join Dallas or Denver after gaining hisrelease from the Washington Wizards, but his agent admits the center'sheart will likely be to return to Cleveland.CLEVELAND,Ohio -- In his last official act as a Cavalier -- at least in his firsttour of duty -- Zydrunas Ilgauskas finished a three-hour practice andthen led a delegation of players to the Cleveland Clinic Children'sHospital on Wednesday afternoon, when they went room-to-room visitingyoung fans.

A few hours after saying hello to those youngsters, Ilgauskas wassaying goodbye to Cleveland as the Cavs sent him to the WashingtonWizards as part of the deal that will bring Antawn Jamison toCleveland.

"Z had a long day," agent Herb Rudoy said of his client, the Cavs all-time leader in games played, rebounds and blocks.

As of 10:30 p.m. Wednesday, Rudoy said he had not spoken to WizardsGeneral Manager Ernie Grunfeld about Washington's plans. It isgenerally assumed that the Wizards will buy out the last year ofIlgauskas' contract, which will pay him $11.5 million. That would leaveIlgauskas free to sign with any team, including the Cavaliers, althoughhe would have to wait 30 days to re-sign with Cleveland. He would nothave to wait to sign with another team, but he must be bought outbefore March 1 in order to be eligible for the playoffs.

"I'm going to try to get them to do a buy-out, but I've alreadyheard from a few teams -- good teams -- that are really interested inwanting to talk about Z going to play for them," Rudoy said. "Thatdoesn't surprise me. He's still a very good player. He's a veryinteresting player who can still be a very good center in this league.

"I don't know exactly what's going to happen. I think his heart isin Cleveland, that's for sure. But we'll see how this plays out. He'sgot 30 days to make a decision if it's Cleveland. If it's somebodyelse, he could make it in a week. His whole decision will be based onwhat's best for his career. He'd like to win a championship, that's forsure. But it's his call, not mine. I'm just going to give him all theoptions."

Though Rudoy did not specify any teams, the Dallas Mavericks arebelieved to be interested in Ilgauskas, especially after Erick Dampierdislocated a finger on Tuesday. The Denver Nuggets also are thought tobe looking for a big man.

See you in 30 days Z.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by EnEyeKayEe

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Jamison makes Cavs title favorites[/h1]
The Cleveland Cavaliers have become title favorites Wednesday after acquiring two-time All-Star Antawn Jamison for -- potentially -- very little.

The three-team deal sends Jamison and Sebastian Telfair to the Cavaliers, Drew Gooden to the Clippers, and Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Al Thornton, Brian Skinner and Cleveland's first-round pick to Washington. Note that the Cavs didn't have to surrender young forward J.J. Hickson in the deal.

Nowwatch for news of an expected buyout by Washington of Ilgauskas, whichwould enable the 7-foot-3 center to return to Cleveland after 30 daysto come off the bench and match up with the Lakers in the NBA Finals.

Jamisonwas warming up with his Wizards teammates Wednesday before their gamein Washington against the Timberwolves when he was pulled off the courtand informed of the trade.

Two things stand out about thistrade. First was that Cleveland was in the driver's seat -- the Cavsand the Mavericks being the only contenders willing to take on longtermcontracts -- and that general manager Danny Ferry executed the turns perfectly. He was able to leverage interest in Phoenix's Amare Stoudemire in order to drive down the price on Jamison, who was viewed by many rivals as the best possible fit for Cleveland.

Secondis that this trade, more than anything, is proof that the currentcollective bargaining agreement is broken and badly in need ofoverhaul. If the team with the best record can acquire a no-nonsensestar like Jamison and then retrieve an asset like Ilgauskas, somethingis seriously wrong with the system. No one can say there is anythingdirty about an Ilgauskas buyout either, because it is in the bestinterests of the Wizards to pursue such an agreement to limbothemselves under the luxury tax, and Ilgauskas may well decide it ishis ambition to return home to Cleveland in order to avoid disruptinghis young family. The current CBA has essentially leveraged this deal,with Ferry knowing how to manipulate it in his team's favor.

So now LeBron James can look around at a frontcourt of Shaquille O'Neal,who was an All-Star last year, and Jamison, an All-Star two years agowho is putting up 20.8 points and 8.8 rebounds this season and whosethree-point range will space the floor for Shaq and LeBron and whosematurity will only enhance the Cavs' lockerroom. In the backcourt ispoint guard Mo Williams, an All-Star last year, and coming off thebench may yet be Ilgauskas, a two-time All-Star himself.

Noone can say any longer there isn't star power around LeBron. Perhapsthis confluence of talent will help influence his decision as a freeagent in July?

As for the Wizards, this deal isn't a badmove for them in this oppressive market. They wind up receiving thefirst-round pick of the Cavs and Al Thornton as a promising youngplayer from the Clippers -- comparable to what Phoenix was proposed byCleveland for Stoudemire, when the Cavs were said to be offering theirNo. 1 and Hickson. After they unloaded Caron Butler last weekto Dallas, the Wizards were on the path of no return and the departureof the large salary of Jamison, a 33 year old who is owed $28.5 millionover the next two full seasons, puts Washington on the fast-track torebuild their roster for likely new owner Ted Leonsis.

TheClippers gain the expiring $4.5 million salary of Gooden, who -- if heisn't bought out to return to Dallas -- will serve as a short-termfrontcourt replacement for the departed Marcus Camby following his trade to Portland.

http://sportsillustrated....ison/?cnn=yes&hpt=T2

^ Ignore the title, there's some good info in there.
[h1][/h1]
[h1]Zydrunas Ilgauskas' agent will seek quick buyout from Wizards; 'his heart is in Cleveland, that's for sure'[/h1][h4]By Mary Schmitt Boyer, The Plain Dealer[/h4][h5]February 17, 2010, 11:19PM[/h5]
z-ilgauskasjpg-48785f6de6302e3c_medium.jpg

ZydrunasIlgauskas may receive offers to join Dallas or Denver after gaining hisrelease from the Washington Wizards, but his agent admits the center'sheart will likely be to return to Cleveland.CLEVELAND,Ohio -- In his last official act as a Cavalier -- at least in his firsttour of duty -- Zydrunas Ilgauskas finished a three-hour practice andthen led a delegation of players to the Cleveland Clinic Children'sHospital on Wednesday afternoon, when they went room-to-room visitingyoung fans.

A few hours after saying hello to those youngsters, Ilgauskas wassaying goodbye to Cleveland as the Cavs sent him to the WashingtonWizards as part of the deal that will bring Antawn Jamison toCleveland.

"Z had a long day," agent Herb Rudoy said of his client, the Cavs all-time leader in games played, rebounds and blocks.

As of 10:30 p.m. Wednesday, Rudoy said he had not spoken to WizardsGeneral Manager Ernie Grunfeld about Washington's plans. It isgenerally assumed that the Wizards will buy out the last year ofIlgauskas' contract, which will pay him $11.5 million. That would leaveIlgauskas free to sign with any team, including the Cavaliers, althoughhe would have to wait 30 days to re-sign with Cleveland. He would nothave to wait to sign with another team, but he must be bought outbefore March 1 in order to be eligible for the playoffs.

"I'm going to try to get them to do a buy-out, but I've alreadyheard from a few teams -- good teams -- that are really interested inwanting to talk about Z going to play for them," Rudoy said. "Thatdoesn't surprise me. He's still a very good player. He's a veryinteresting player who can still be a very good center in this league.

"I don't know exactly what's going to happen. I think his heart isin Cleveland, that's for sure. But we'll see how this plays out. He'sgot 30 days to make a decision if it's Cleveland. If it's somebodyelse, he could make it in a week. His whole decision will be based onwhat's best for his career. He'd like to win a championship, that's forsure. But it's his call, not mine. I'm just going to give him all theoptions."

Though Rudoy did not specify any teams, the Dallas Mavericks arebelieved to be interested in Ilgauskas, especially after Erick Dampierdislocated a finger on Tuesday. The Denver Nuggets also are thought tobe looking for a big man.

See you in 30 days Z.
pimp.gif

Z and his agent and anyone affiliated with him or the Cavs need to keep their mouth shut so the NBA doesn't bar the trade/re-signing
laugh.gif

Z and his agent and anyone affiliated with him or the Cavs need to keeptheir mouth shut so the NBA doesn't bar the trade/re-signing
laugh.gif

Why?  It's not like $tern can change the rules in the middle of the season...
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

/\ But it is a rule. That's why Stackhouse wasn't apart of that Kidd trade because he ran his mouth.

Originally Posted by Andrew630

krishumphries.jpg

taylor-lautner-b.jpg

Didn't want to start an extra thread for this, but they look the same.
Yeah I made a thread a while back when Humphries was killin for the Mavs.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by EnEyeKayEe

Z and his agent and anyone affiliated with him or the Cavs need to keep their mouth shut so the NBA doesn't bar the trade/re-signing
laugh.gif

Why?  It's not like $tern can change the rules in the middle of the season...
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

but it is a rule

and
eek.gif
laugh.gif
 @ duncans ben wallace type stat line tonight

Chester, from the dudes on radio, they made it sound like Roy is just going to try and play thru it.  My question is, what the @#$% for?  They not winnin @#$% this year, why risk screwin himself up more?  I never ever ever understand these dudes out here. 
smh.gif

So uhhhh, Morey is a genius right? 
nerd.gif

Anyone have Bucher on twitter or whatever?  He on radio this morning and he swears he never believed Amare to Cleveland was going to happen.  I coulda swore I heard him during the all star break sayin Amare to Cleveland over and over.  Anyone have any quotes, links, tweets, anything? 

Stat looked like a monster last night. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
  Damn near the best game of his life. 
laugh.gif

I didn't know Shawn Marion was still in the league.  Wow. 

And Mike, I'm ok dude, Mark and Barry are the idiots that would be in danger, I love how all these clowns now call Nash an MVP candidate as a @#$%^^ 6-7 seed when their argument a few years ago was you had to have the best record.  That's not ******ed or anything.  Wish these "experts" would make up their mind. 
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

Chester, from the dudes on radio, they made it sound like Roy is just going to try and play thru it.  My question is, what the @#$% for?  They not winnin @#$% this year, why risk screwin himself up more?  I never ever ever understand these dudes out here. 
smh.gif

So uhhhh, Morey is a genius right? 
nerd.gif

Anyone have Bucher on twitter or whatever?  He on radio this morning and he swears he never believed Amare to Cleveland was going to happen.  I coulda swore I heard him during the all star break sayin Amare to Cleveland over and over.  Anyone have any quotes, links, tweets, anything? 

Stat looked like a monster last night. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
  Damn near the best game of his life. 
laugh.gif

I didn't know Shawn Marion was still in the league.  Wow. 

And Mike, I'm ok dude, Mark and Barry are the idiots that would be in danger, I love how all these clowns now call Nash an MVP candidate as a @#$%^^ 6-7 seed when their argument a few years ago was you had to have the best record.  That's not ******ed or anything.  Wish these "experts" would make up their mind. 
eyes.gif

Ric was saying STAT to Miami all week.

i hate to say it but if z goes back to the cavs then wow...the cavs might win it all

cp and chester gonna be on suicide watch if that happens
laugh.gif

I just wanted to BUMP this thread in appreciation for the trade deadline officially being over...

I have never seen so many absolutely clueless NT'ers in S&T in my entire 5 years of lurking on here before joining...
sick.gif
indifferent.gif
alien.gif
tired.gif
smh.gif

To most of the dudes who keep this thread alive and have at least 1/2 a clue, cheers.
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
wink.gif

Z and his agent and anyone affiliated with him or the Cavs need to keeptheir mouth shut so the NBA doesn't bar the trade/re-signing
laugh.gif

I bet this will be the last year that it is allowed to happen.
Agreed, it's unfair, but hopefully we can take advantage of it.
nerd.gif

After we see what's what finally, then we can do winners/losers. 

Cuz damn, that Bucks/Bulls deal has changed like 18 times hasn't it?  I still don't know who went to the Bulls, I think I saw one report that said Salmons went to the Bulls. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

So tommorrow we can see how everyone did. 

I didn't know Shawn Marion was still in the league. Wow.

laugh.gif

Did you see the nasty block that Amar'e had on him?
smh.gif

14/10 though,
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I'm sure there's no Dallas fan who doesn't love what Shawn brings to the team.

I swear dude has most blocked shots in the League, and by blocked shots I mean his shots.
laugh.gif

7. Chris Paul
My least favorite trend of the No Benjamins Association era: teams twisting the truth about potentially serious injuries so they don't hurt ticket sales, or because they know the media won't challenge their stories and call them out afterward. After seeing Boston string Celtics fans along with KG's bum knee and the Clippers legitimately lie about Blake Griffin's knee injury, when I heard the Hornets claim CP3 would miss only "four to six weeks" after "minor" knee surgery, my BS Detector started beeping. Especially since we learned that doctors removed Paul's torn meniscus ligament rather than repairing it.

Intrigued, I asked Will Carroll (the injury expert for Baseball Prospectus and Basketball Prospectus) for his thoughts. Will pointed me toward a piece he wrote about meniscus removal a few years ago. The key section: "One reason teams are so quick to allow this surgery is that the players come back so quickly, usually in a matter of weeks. But … surgeons don't repair the meniscus in most cases; they just take it out, either in part or in whole depending on the size of the tearing. That leaves the athlete with no shock. Eventually, with the remaining meniscus overstressed and aging, they end up with the bones grinding together. Yes, that's as bad as it sounds in a game of running and jumping."

(Hold on, we have to wait for the Hornets fans to clear out that puke from their mouths. Waiting … waiting … OK, we're good.)

Uh oh. 

so disappointed in my squad(nuggets)
smh.gif
...and tell me this, how in the hell do the cavs always seem to bring in a quality player without giving up anything???? i swear its crazy!

It's a little bit more complicated than that.

I tore my meniscus before, too, but part of it got lodged into the hinge of my knee, causing it to lock. It was removed, and I still have part of it left where it's suppose to be. No problem.

I'm sure his tear wasn't severe, or else he would have had it repaired. Dr. James Andrews doesn't play.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

I'm sure his tear wasn't severe, or else he would have had it repaired. Dr. James Andrews doesn't play.
doctors removed Paul's torn meniscus ligament rather than repairing it

I've never tore my knee up so I don't know, but if it wasn't severe, why remove it?  Is it because it heals quicker that way, was that his point?  Instead of waiting for the repaired ligament to heal, just remove the whole thing and move on? 

And the bone on bone will come later on down the line (when he's older) worry about it later sort of thing?  

I'm anxious to see how he comes back next season to see if it bothers him at all.  Cuz with his contract comin up, I would be real worried about that issue. 

Back
Top Bottom