Offical 2009-10 NBA Season Thread

sick.gif
Bobcats @ home

^
Was just comin to say, Charlotte has my attention fully now. They always smoke us anyways, so I'm not worried about that, but now they seem to haveeveryone else's number as well.

Any word on Pierce? Heard his knee got kicked or something, probably rollin to the game in a wheel chair tonight.
laugh.gif

Tonight will probably one of those night's where Vince actually tries to play real hard so he looks like he's still up there with Kobe and whatnot.......

OR....

He takes an early elbow in the gut from Kobe and he calls it a game. Leaves with cramps or something like that.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

Tonight will probably one of those night's where Vince actually tries to play real hard so he looks like he's still up there with Kobe and what not.......

OR....

He takes an early elbow in the gut from Kobe and he calls it a game. Leaves with cramps or something like that.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

So I guess Crawford is the go to guy for the Hawks now after hitting that last game winner? I wish Joe Johnson or Mike Bibby would've took the last shotagainst OKC. I think either one would've been a better option. I know they wanted to give it back to Crawford so he could have back-to-back heroics, butrealistically that wasn't going to happen. That was a GG though.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Tonight will probably one of those night's where Vince actually tries to play real hard so he looks like he's still up there with Kobe and what not.......

OR....

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

OR....

He'll do another good job guarding Kobe like he usually does.
nerd.gif
happy.gif

Originally Posted by DLo13

It kills you to see OKC win a game, doesn't it?

I actually don't care. As long as my team is taking care of business, everything else will take care of itself.

I just can't stand when a team is down by 2 with 2 or 3 minutes to go and the team down by 2 just keeps jacking up ill-advised three's. If the Hawkswould have actually tried to execute their offense the last couple of minutes, there's a good chance they could have won, but they just kept jacking up3's. Eventually OKC took advantage and won. Crawford was also a good 8-10 feet behind the line on that last shot.
laugh.gif

No hate on you or the Grizz BHZ, but Charlotte has impressed me more and I'm more scared of them than I am the Grizzlies (even though the B'Catshaven't beat the Mavs in their entire history).

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

No hate on you or the Grizz BHZ, but Charlotte has impressed me more and I'm more scared of them than I am the Grizzlies (even though the B'Cats haven't beat the Mavs in their entire history).

No hate taken. But, there's a reason why Memphis got the 3rd best record in the league since December 1st. Its like they just keep winning at that pace andnot slowing down.

Charlotte plays alot of one on one basketball, but guys like Wallace hustle their %*@ off on the floor. I don't see why people thought they weren'tgoing to be at least a playoff team this year because they have a veteran team with a veteran coach.

I got a strange feeling that if both teams keep it up, that OKC/MEM at the end of the season will be the biggest late game of the season. They play each otherfor the last game of the season in OKC.

The Suns are good right? That 10-14 record they got after that fast start is great right? MVP's and stuff, revitalize, coach of the year, rebirth, TheSuns are back......right?

*record screeches to a halt*

@#$% outta here with that @#$%^&*( them fools was garbage from day 1, once those fresh legs wore off and all them old dudes remembered who they were, yeah,they are who we thought they were.

laugh.gif

CP

But I've sort of given up hope on the number 1 seed. We just can't get up for every single regular season game.

I just want EVERYONE healthy going into the playoffs. We'll end up with a top 4 seed, just won't have the home games, but we should be able to win onthe road.

And I want to see the Thunder in the playoffs. Upset someone.

- vc %*#**%% sucks a

- howarda post game is just fine they just don't give him the ball

- laker fans still bashing Jackson for giving the bench so many minutes early on? Brown and big ears have been playing well the past few weeks

mike gonna owe me some money at the end of the season.
laugh.gif

and i should've bet allen about the .500 thing.

How about them Kings and Kevin Martin?

[table][tr][td]2009-10 Power Rankings: Week 12[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RANK (LAST WK)[/td] [td]TEAM[/td] [td]REC.[/td] [td]COMMENT[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
cle.gif
[/td] [td]1 (1)[/td] [td]Cavaliers[/td] [td]31-11[/td] [td]The Cavs' outlook continues to brighten even though they still don't know if they can pull off a deal for Antawn Jamison or Troy Murphy. Example: Cleveland has fewer road games left (16) than any team in the league.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
lal.gif
[/td] [td]2 (2)[/td] [td]Lakers[/td] [td]31-9[/td] [td]Are you sure, trimester protesters, that Pau hasn't been more valuable than you think? The Lakers are a tidy 20-3 with the Spaniard in the lineup and a pretty pedestrian 11-6 when he's out injured. I'm just sayin'.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
den.gif
[/td] [td]3 (10)[/td] [td]Nuggets[/td] [td]26-14[/td] [td]With Dallas in its first extended funk, and both Melo and Chauncey back at work, Denver has an opening to reclaim its status as the West's consensus No. 2 behind L.A. ... even as the search continues for trade upgrades.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
atl.gif
[/td] [td]4 (9)[/td] [td]Hawks[/td] [td]26-13[/td] [td]KG didn't play in their first two meetings this month and might not be back by Jan. 29, either. Which is what stops us from saying Atlanta is all the way fixed even if it ends up going 3-0 against the Celts in January.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
bos.gif
[/td] [td]5 (3)[/td] [td]Celtics[/td] [td]27-11[/td] [td]Remember back when Sheed was talking up the idea that Boston could make a run at 73 wins? Whether or not he was serious, now you simply wonder whether KG, Pierce or Sheed will end up playing in 73 games.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
por.gif
[/td] [td]6 (7)[/td] [td]Trail Blazers[/td] [td]25-16[/td] [td]Impressive as it was to see the Blazers pull together to pummel Orlando without Oden, Przybilla and B-Roy, no one wants to see Roy dealing now with the day-to-day uncertainty of a hamstring injury. Enough is enough.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
orl.gif
[/td] [td]7 (4)[/td] [td]Magic[/td] [td]26-14[/td] [td]If we asked for your list of most disappointing teams in the season's opening half, Orlando would suddenly top it. Right? The Magic are 9-10 since their 17-4 start and a mere 8-9 against teams at .500 or better.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
dal.gif
[/td] [td]8 (5)[/td] [td]Mavericks[/td] [td]26-14[/td] [td]Failing to beat the Lakers with Gasol out and Kobe hobbled was bad. Starting a five-game East swing with a 22-point loss in Toronto -- knowing that the road is usually where the Mavs are at their best -- was worse.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
sas.gif
[/td] [td]9 (
glasses.gif
[/td] [td]Spurs[/td] [td]24-15[/td] [td]There's at least one storyline here -- offsetting the ups and downs of Tony, Manu, etc. -- playing out the way everyone forecasted it back in the summer: DeJuan Blair is playing his way straight into Spurs draft lore.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
pho.gif
[/td] [td]10 (6)[/td] [td]Suns[/td] [td]24-17[/td] [td]Bummed as he is by the Suns' inability to build on that insane 14-3 start, Nash is trying to become the first player in history to record his highest scoring average (19.2 ppg) after his 35th birthday. Crazy insane.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
cha.gif
[/td] [td]11 (19)[/td] [td]Bobcats[/td] [td]19-19[/td] [td]In our struggles to sort out Nos. 12-19 last week, Charlotte definitely got the scroogie. We're trying to rectify that with this week's wholly deserved promotion, since the Bobs are 7-1 in 2010 with seven quality W's.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
mem.gif
[/td] [td]12 (16)[/td] [td]Grizzlies[/td] [td]21-18[/td] [td]The Grizz have clearly passed Sacramento, Houston and anyone else you want to suggest for the top of the Cinderella Rankings. Since Dec. 1, Memphis is 15-6 ... trailing only the Cavs (19-6) and Lakers (18-6).[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
tor.gif
[/td] [td]13 (15)[/td] [td]Raptors[/td] [td]21-20[/td] [td]It took a 10-3 surge, lots of Bosh damage and Jarrett Jack's emergence as the starting point guard to get there, but the Raps are a winning team at the 41-game mark for just the fifth time in the franchise's 15 seasons.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
uth.gif
[/td] [td]14 (17)[/td] [td]Jazz[/td] [td]23-18[/td] [td]A good friend in Salt Lake City told me that I should just park the Jazz at No. 15 because they're capable of beating anyone ... and losing the season series to Minnesota. We almost tried that this week.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
okc.gif
[/td] [td]15 (12)[/td] [td]Thunder[/td] [td]22-18[/td] [td]Found some Durant minutiae Simmons hasn't covered with his fawny tweets: Durant's 14 straight games with at least 25 points is second all time for players before their 22nd birthdays behind LeBron's 16 in a row.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
nor.gif
[/td] [td]16 (14)[/td] [td]Hornets[/td] [td]21-18[/td] [td]The Hornets are 18-12 since Byron Scott's dismissal and had to play without an injured CP3 for eight of those 30 games. It doesn't hurt that D-West and Okafor are starting to look like a workable frontcourt tag team.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
mia.gif
[/td] [td]17 (13)[/td] [td]Heat[/td] [td]20-19[/td] [td]The Heat have nearly made it to the midpoint of the season without spending a day below .500. Which is saying something for a team (A) in this East and (B) with so little around D-Wade (like we say every week).[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
hou.gif
[/td] [td]18 (11)[/td] [td]Rockets[/td] [td]22-18[/td] [td]I know T-Mac gets lots of All-Star votes in China. I still say T-Mac holding off Nash and Chris Paul to snag a starting guard spot in the West would be as surprising as anything we've seen from the Rockets all season.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
chi.gif
[/td] [td]19 (22)[/td] [td]Bulls[/td] [td]18-20[/td] [td]Vinny's revenge rolls on. The Bulls have rallied around their embattled coach for two four-game winning streaks since the Sacramento collapse, highlighted by victories in the new year over Orlando and at Boston.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
lac.gif
[/td] [td]20 (18)[/td] [td]Clippers[/td] [td]17-22[/td] [td]The Clips will soon embark on an eight-game road trip -- yes, eight -- that will determine whether they can hang on in the playoff race ... or if there's no use hanging on to Camby with so many teams eager to trade for him.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
phi.gif
[/td] [td]21 (23)[/td] [td]76ers[/td] [td]13-26[/td] [td]All those trade rumors. Tragic pictures from his earthquake-ravaged homeland every time he turns on his TV. And here's how Haiti's Sam Dalembert has held up over the past six games: 13.5 ppg and 14.3 rpg.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
nyk.gif
[/td] [td]22 (21)[/td] [td]Knicks[/td] [td]16-24[/td] [td]How freaked must the Knicks be about Friday's date with the Lakers? Kobe scored 61 points in his last MSG appearance ... and Friday happens to be the fourth anniversary of his 81-point game against Toronto.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
ind.gif
[/td] [td]23 (27)[/td] [td]Pacers[/td] [td]14-26[/td] [td]Granger's back, Troy Murphy is padding his trade value with every double-double, and Indy just beat Toronto and Phoenix with comebacks from 23 and 24 points down, respectively. Best week of the season. By far.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
sac.gif
[/td] [td]24 (20)[/td] [td]Kings[/td] [td]15-24[/td] [td]Remember when we said Kevin Martin would be back soon to make things really interesting for the early pace setters in the Cinderella Rankings? Perhaps we should have gone with the word complicated.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
mil.gif
[/td] [td]25 (24)[/td] [td]Bucks[/td] [td]16-22[/td] [td]Although he was hoping to come back with a title contender, Stackhouse couldn't pass up this chance. Not with minutes available after Redd's injury and not with the Bucks still alive in the race for No. 8 in the East.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
det.gif
[/td] [td]26 (29)[/td] [td]Pistons[/td] [td]14-25[/td] [td]I would never, ever dare to overstate the impact of these rankings, but you tell me: Is it a coincidence that the Pistons started to show a pulse again after slipping all the way to the depths of No. 29? I think not.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
gsw.gif
[/td] [td]27 (25)[/td] [td]Warriors[/td] [td]11-27[/td] [td]I've heard/read more All-Star pub for Monta Ellis in his big-numbers-on-a-
bad-team situation than I can remember in similar cases. Probably 'cause the Dubs haven't had an All-Star since (gulp) Spree in '97.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
was.gif
[/td] [td]28 (26)[/td] [td]Wizards[/td] [td]13-26[/td] [td]Wiz misery is such that it seems appropriate to repeat last week's contention that only one outcome can transport the franchise out of this bad dream. Which is winning the draft lottery and the rights to John Wall.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
min.gif
[/td] [td]29 (28)[/td] [td]Timberwolves[/td] [td]8-33[/td] [td]The bad news: Sota has zero games left against the Nets. The good news: New Jersey continues to hog the futility spotlight even with Sota on a 16-66 pace and sporting a 9.9-point average margin of defeat.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
njn.gif
[/td] [td]30 (30)[/td] [td]Nets[/td] [td]3-36[/td] [td]The Nets' record through 39 games equals the 3-36 mark posted by Philadelphia through 39 games in its fateful 9-73 season in 1972-73. The Sixers' fourth victory, in case you're wondering, came in game No. 42.[/td] [/tr][/table]

http:// [h3][/h3]
[h3]West a trade chip?[/h3]
11:49AM ET

[h5]Delonte West | Cavaliers[/h5]
Top Email

It's long been rumored that Zydrunas Ilgauskas' expiring contract is the Cavs' main bartering chip heading into the trade deadline, and he'll be used in an effort to try and attain the likes of Antawn Jamison, David West or perhaps even Troy Murphy.

But what about Delonte West? As Steve Kyler of HOOPSWORLD notes, next season is the final year of West's contract, and there's a team option on it. So a team looking to shed salary could decline the option, and be off the hook for his his $4.5 million ($500,000 guaranteed) salary next season.

Teams could look at West as an expiring deal because of this, and it could help the Cavs land their top target in Jamison for a championship run.

http:// [h3]Martin's future[/h3]
11:27AM ET

[h5]Kevin Martin | Kings[/h5]
Top Email

Since http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2394Kevin Martin returned to the lineup Friday night, the Kings are 0-3, having only scored 86 points in each of the first two contests.

And as we've mentioned before, how the Kings do, and especially how Martin plays with http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3983Tyreke Evans may seal his fate. If Martin and Evans can co-exist in the backcourt together, he'll likely stay with the team.

If the marriage doesn't work out, there's talk the Kings might trade Martin because him and Evans are similar players.

Evans scored 14, 21 and a career-high 34 points in these last three games, while Martin has scored 19, 23 and nine. (Yesterday against the Bobcats, Martin played only 25 minutes and sat at the end of the game, while Evans went on to a career high.)

So in this small sample size of three games, neither star seems to be affecting each other too much, and it may work out just yet.

But what about the rest of the team? Sam Amick of the Sacramento Bee wrote before yesterday's loss that the team has had a "stagnant offense, the absence of rhythm, the disappearance of chemistry."

Though these two may be OK, the rest of the team is struggling to find their role around them.

If that's the case, and these chemistry issues continue, the Kings could be better served dealing Martin for a big up front, which might complement their offense better.

ford_chad_30.jpg
[h5]Chad Ford[/h5]
Martin for Calderon a possibility
"There have been rumblings of a Jose Calderon-Martin swap. The move would give the Raptors a lot of offensive firepower, but it would also cement their status as one of the worst defensive teams ever."

http:// [h3]Buyout coming for Hughes?[/h3]
11:21AM ET

[h5]Larry Hughes | Knicks[/h5]
Top Email

Saturday Larry Hughes called Mike D'Antoni's rotation a "joke." Monday he spoke with the New York Daily News and explained his frustration with his situation.

"There's frustration," Hughes said. "There's no anger. I'm just frustrated. There's no other way to put it. I want to be out there playing and helping the team win. "I don't want it to look like I'm complaining. He's the coach of the team. It's his decision to put guys in the game and to take guys out. If my time comes again I'll be happy. But if not I'll just continue to do what I've been doing. But at the same time I'll still be frustrated because I want to play basketball."

"It's regrettable," D'Antoni told the New York Post. "Negative thoughts around is never good, but it's something we deal with. I don't think it affects us. It's good that players are frustrated and want to play; I'd hate to see them not care. But it doesn't change my mindset. He knows why he's not playing: I don't think he can help us. He disagrees with that, which is (his) right. We're making too much of (this)."

The Knicks and Hughes could agree to a buyout if the friction between the player and coach continues.

http:// [h3]What will Stern do?[/h3]
11:04AM ET

[h5]Gilbert Arenas' Suspension[/h5]
Top Email

[img]http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/0720/nba_logo_65.jpg[/img]
The Washington Wizards claim they have not decided about trying to attempt to void Gilbert Arenas' contract.

The biggest decision regarding Arenas most likely comes down to NBA commissioner David Stern. He will decide when he can play, whether it's sooner or later. If Arenas is reinstated prior to his sentencing on March 26, it's unlikely he will be suspended again.

From today's edition of The New York Times:

"The largest hurdle the Wizards could face, according to Gabriel Feldman, the director of the sports law program at Tulane, is one created by NBA Commissioner David Stern when he suspended Arenas indefinitely. The collective bargaining agreement forbids separate punishments from the league and a team for the same incident -- the NBAs version of the legal system's double jeopardy. Also, the NBA's penalty supersedes that of any the team imposes. ... The collective bargaining agreement does, in fact, include a provision that allows for a player to be punished twice for the same act if the "conduct is so lacking in justification as to warrant such double penalty." But here, too, the language is ambiguous."

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Arenas has spoken to his former agent, Dan Fegan, about how to proceed if the Wizards try to void the contract.

http:// [h3]Deadline looms for Leonsis[/h3]
10:57AM ET

[h5]Washington Wizards[/h5]
Top Email

Ted Leonsis is negotiating to buy the Washington Wizards. He has until Wednesday to purchase the Wizards and Verizon Center from the estate of Abe Pollin.

According to The Washington Post:
"Representatives of Leonsis and of the Pollin estate have been in discussions since Jan. 6, hoping to settle on a price that Leonsis's investor group, closely held Lincoln Holdings will pay for 56 percent of the Wizards and Verizon Center. It already owns 44 percent. If no agreement is reached by Wednesday on the total value of the team and arena -- which could range from $400 million to $500 million -- both sides could agree to extend the exclusive talks."

http:// [h3]Boozer wouldn't trade himself?[/h3]
10:48AM ET

[h5]Carlos Boozer | Jazz[/h5]
Top Email

Carlos Boozer trade speculation has been going on for a long time since this is the last season of his contract. Boozer was asked Sunday if the Jazz should deal him by the Feb. 18 trade deadline and he said no.

"If I was them, I wouldn't make a trade," Boozer told The Salt Lake Tribune. "But I'm not them. I think, I mean, you keep this group together. We're getting healthy, guys are getting better, we're rolling, we've won four out of our last five, which is great.

"Hopefully, we're going to win another four out of our next five. We can be good. We can beat anybody on any given night. That's what I would do. But Kevin O'Connor, Greg Miller, they've got to make their decisions."

How will Boozer approach the next month?

"For me, I swear I just take it a day at a time," Boozer said. "There's a lot of rumors out there, a lot of what-ifs, blah-blah-blah. I just take it one day at a time and enjoy what I'm doing. It's out of my control, as you guys know and others do."

http:// [h3]Staying in Utah a priority?[/h3]
10:23AM ET

[h5]Andrei Kirilenko | Jazz[/h5]
Top Email

Andrei Kirilenko is earning $16.45 million this season and is on the books in 2010-11 for $17.82 million. He admits the large salary has put pressure on him.

"It definitely puts more pressure on you, but what can you do about it?" Kirilenko told AOL FanHouse. "Nobody can say I'm not playing 100 percent. I give 100 percent and I'm hustling so the world is not perfect."

Kirilenko also said he would like to re-sign with the Jazz after the 2010-11 season.

"Definitely the Jazz is going to be my priority," Kirilenko said. "From the city standpoint to the team standpoint, because you get used to being here. It's very hard to change when you're getting older. So definitely the Jazz is going to be my priority."

http:// [h3]Farmar more important than Brown?[/h3]
10:11AM ET

[h5]Jordan Farmar | Lakers[/h5]
Top Email

The Lakers hope to repeat as NBA champions this season. Kevin Ding of The Orange County Register believes Jordan Farmar will play a key role in making that happen.

Ding writes today: "Derek Fisher's backup is Jordan Farmar, and for all the hullaballoo surrounding Shannon Brown now and all the hope for Brown's future, Farmar is ultimately going to be a far more interesting story this season. First of all, Farmar is far more likely to make or break this Lakers championship run, because he's surely going to play -- and he might be needed to play really well if Fisher has more bad days than good. ... Farmar is also playing for his Lakers life the rest of this season, which is why Phil Jackson loosened the reins on Farmar recently (after tightening them earlier this season for fear the second unit was forgetting its triangle principles) in an earnest effort to see just what's up with this kid who is so quick-footed yet so hard-headed."

http:// [h3]Curry done in New York?[/h3]
9:57AM ET

[h5]Eddy Curry | Knicks[/h5]
Top Email

The Knicks announced Monday that http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=990Eddy Curry will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his left knee to remove loose cartilage. He should miss about six weeks.

The Knicks are desperately trying to trade him to gain cap room for this summer, but no team is interested in him.

They will surely try to work out a buyout of his 2010-11 $11.27 million salary if no deal is done by the Feb. 18 trade deadline.

"He'll come back, he'll get ready to go," D'ntoni told The Record. " ... and at that time we'll assess what's going on with the team, what's going on with him, look at him and then make a decision each day."

http:// [h3]No decision yet on Arenas?[/h3]
9:15AM ET

[h5]Washington Wizards[/h5]
Top Email

There has been a lot of talk and speculation about whether the Washington Wizards will try to void Gilbert Arenas' contract, but Mike Jones reports the team has not made a decision about that yet.

Jones writes: "According to a source speaking on the condition of anonymity, the Wizards have not had any discussions or communications with Arenas in regards to voiding the deal, and haven't decided what their course of action is in the situation because the legal process must play out, and then David Stern, who already has suspended Arenas indefinitely, must decide what -- if any -- additional punishment the player will receive before being reinstated into the league."

http:// [h3]Arenas to Orlando unlikely?[/h3]
8:57AM ET

[h5]Gilbert Arenas | Wizards[/h5]
Top Email

On Saturday ESPN.com's Marc Stein wrote about the possibility that Orlando might be a place Gilbert Arenas could be traded to. Magic general manager Otis Smith has known Arenas since their days in Golden State and the two have remained friends.

Smith told the Orlando Sentinel Monday that just because he has a relationship with Arenas, it doesn't mean he's interested in acquiring him.

"I've always been interested in Gilbert. I actually like Gilbert. Probably because I understand him better than most people," said Smith. "But just because you have a relationship, it doesn't mean that, contractually, it works. I don't see it."

"I have a lot of love for Gilbert, but this is something I've not given a whole lot of thought to," Smith also told George Diaz of the Orlando Sentinel Monday afternoon. "I don't know where this is coming from. There is nothing in the works. No talk about it on this end or any other end."

http:// [h3]Cuban prefers silence now?[/h3]
8:04AM ET

[h5]Dallas Mavericks[/h5]
Top Email

Mark Cuban has always been known as an owner who would speak mind. In fact that has cost him a lot of money in fines from the NBA.

He spoke prior to the Celtics-Mavs game yesterday and Cuban says he has changed his philosophy about making critical remarks, especially about the refs, to the press.

"I don't want to get fined," Cuban told the Boston Herald. "When I got into the Mavs, I was like other young people in that situation. I just wanted to take over the world. But you can only bang your head for so long before you realize you're just leaving a mark on your head."

http:// [h3]Blazers play it safe with Roy[/h3]
7:34AM ET

[h5]Brandon Roy | Trail Blazers[/h5]
Top Email

Brandon Roy has been hampered by a strained right hamstring. He told Blazers trainer Jay Jensen that he could "try" to play prior to the game against the Wizards yesterday and that's all Jensen needed to inform head coach Nate McMillan that Roy wouldn't be available.

"Our plan is if we can hold him for a couple of games, it's better than losing him for a month," McMillan told The Oregonian.

"The key is long term," general manager Kevin Pritchard said. "We weren't going to sacrifice the rest of the season for today. It's not worth it."

Roy said there will be no debate, he's playing against the 76ers. "I'm going to play," Roy said. "Not try. I'm playing Wednesday in Philly."

http:// [h3]DeRozan plotting his strategy[/h3]
7:22AM ET

[h5]DeMar DeRozan | Raptors[/h5]
Top Email

DeMar DeRozan spent Monday thinking about the dunks he'll perform on All-Star weekend. He hopes he can get into the main event by beating Eric Gordon in a dunk-off.

"Jarrett Jack will be there and Sonny Weems will be there so I might mess around and use both of them," DeRozan told the Toronto Sun. "Just going up throwing down dunks by yourself is so cliche now. You have to have a partner throwing some out of the stands or something like that."

"You have to come up with two dunks to beat one person and still save your good stuff for the main event. That's something I have thought about. I have to come up with two good dunks that I know I wouldn't use in the main event."

http:// [h3]Gentry makes changes[/h3]
6:52AM ET

[h5]Phoenix Suns[/h5]
Top Email

The Suns have been struggling so head coach Alvin Gentry decided to make changes with the starting lineup on Monday. Robin Lopez replaced Channing Frye at center and shooting guard Jason Richardson was moved to the bench in favor of Leandro Barbosa.

"We needed a change," Gentry told The Arizona Republic. "For the most part, we've played well at the start of games. This gives us an opportunity to change the whole makeup of our rotation and maybe that'll help us develop some consistency. We're not locked into this by any stretch."

The moves didn't help as they lost yesterday in Memphis 125-118.

http:// [h3]Pistons not for sale yet?[/h3]
6:04AM ET

[h5]Detroit Pistons[/h5]
Top Email

There was a report Monday that Detroit Pistons owner Karen Davidson was considering selling the team and Palace Sports and Entertainment.

According to the Detroit Free Press, a person close to the situation says the Pistons are not for sale now, but could be soon.

There's also some rumblings that the Pistons and Detroit Red Wings could partner to build an arena in downtown Detroit.

http:// [h3]Hornets to get under the tax line?[/h3]
5:16AM ET

[h5]New Orleans Hornets[/h5]
Top Email

The New Orleans Hornets are about $500,000 above the tax line and general manager/head coach Jeff Bower says the team has had various discussions with teams around the league.

"If there's something that presents itself that will help us and give us some flexibility, then we will look at something," Bower told The Times-Picayune Monday. "Like every team, we will continue that up until the trade deadline."

The Hornets can get under the tax line by trading Devin Brown, Ike Diogu, or Sean Marks.

http:// [h3]Griz tried to sign Zo[/h3]
5:00AM ET

[h5]Memphis Grizzlies[/h5]
Top Email

In the summer of 2006, Memphis Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley and Jerry West tried to sign Alonzo Mourning, but Mourning declined due to his love for south Florida.

"They almost had me but my love was in Miami and my heart is still there," Mourning told The Commercial-Appeal Monday.

"I know I could have come here and really helped the organization," Mourning said. "But I didn't want to put myself in a position where I was rebuilding. I wanted to win immediately because I didn't realize how much longer I could play the game at a high level."

http:// [h3]Teague not ready to run Hawks?[/h3]
4:47AM ET

[h5]Jeff Teague | Hawks[/h5]
Top Email

Hawks head coach Mike Woodson believes rookie point guard Jeff Teague will run the team one day, but it's not going to happen this season.

"I don't have to rush Teague," Woodson tells The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "I've got confidence in Teague. But Mike Bibby and Jamal Crawford have carried the load at the point.

"I feel good about Teague and what he brings to the table. Eventually Teague will run this team, I think. But I don't have to throw him to the wolves like I did those other guys."

http:// [h3]Assistants to be retained[/h3]
4:27AM ET

[h5]Houston Rockets[/h5]
Top Email

Last week the Houston Rockets picked up the 2010-11 option on head coach Rick Adelman's contract. The team is in the process of also retaining assistant coaches Elston Turner, Jack Sikma, T.R. Dunn and R.J. Adelman.

"We did it (the Adelman extension), and now we're working on bringing the assistants back as well,' general manager Daryl Morey told the Houston Chronicle. "They've done an incredible job in very difficult circumstances. To not only have a great game plan every night, but to have brought the players along to help us win now, is a testament to the whole staff."

was at the bobcats/kings game.....Evans is a beast.....when wallace got hurt it took the energy away and the kings made that comeback....luckily we hanged onftw
pimp.gif

Think I posted it a few pages back, here it is again:

[h2]Sophomore 20: Large and in charge[/h2]
Comment Email Print Share
By David Thorpe
Scouts Inc.
Archive

nba_g_love_gasol1_576.jpg
Joe Murphy/NBAE/Getty ImagesFront and center: Kevin Love, Marc Gasol and other second-year bigs are doing damage down low.

Even though Derrick Rose and a few other second-year guards are playing great ball, the bigs are still the story for this class. So for this Sophomore 20 report, I've ranked the top big men and top guards separately.

For the bigs, there are 10 deserving candidates. For the guards, there is a major drop-off in production after the top 5. Let's take a look.
[h3]Top 10 bigs[/h3]
[h4]NBA Rookie 50[/h4]
Check out David Thorpe's 2009-10 rookie rankings. NBA Rookie 50

Hollinger's stats: Rookie leaders
in.gif

1. Marc Gasol, Grizzlies
Although he was limited to three straight sub-double-digit scoring games recently, Gasol has been a rock for Memphis all season long. He is averaging almost 15 points and 10 rebounds a game. Bigs who require double-teams on offense but don't normally need help defending the post are a coach's dream. Gasol fits that bill.

The Grizzlies will need him to produce if they want to remain in playoff contention -- he averages 16 points per game in wins and 13 in losses. That's a big swing.

3448.jpg

Lopez​

2. Brook Lopez, Nets
Lopez's success last season was no fluke. He's very good. That he's playing for the worst team in the league shouldn't change our opinion of him. Although he's not shooting well from midrange, he's killing people down low and blocking two shots a game.

As the Nets' franchise center, he needs to be the guy who leads the team back to respectability. A tough self-critic, Lopez is sometimes too focused on his own play and not focused enough on his whole team.

3449.jpg

Love​

3. Kevin Love, Timberwolves
The best rebounding forward in basketball, Love is already a master of positioning. And a few more seasons of leaning out and getting more athletic will serve him well. If someone were to ask me who will have the most rebounds this decade, I'd probably say Love or Dwight Howard.

In addition, Love is a solid paint scorer who is starting to get to the free throw line with more frequency -- this is an important part of his overall development. He has earned a double-double in all but five games this season.

3428.jpg

Gallinari​

4. Danilo Gallinari, Knicks
Gallo still looks like the best shooter in this class despite his 0-for-7 outing in Oklahoma City on Monday. And like great shooters do, he has been able to bounce back from poor showings with strong performances. Check out what he did after three games in which he missed all of his 3-pointers:

On Nov. 21, he made 3 of 8 shots from deep. On Nov. 29, he made 4 of 5. And on Dec. 17, he roasted the Bulls with 6 3s in 15 attempts.

3418.jpg

Beasley​

5. Michael Beasley, Heat
Beasley may have some consistency issues off the court, in terms of focus and work ethic, but not on the court. Look at his monthly totals: In November, he averaged 14.2 ppg and 6.6 rpg; in December, he averaged 17.3 ppg and 6.6 rpg; and through seven games in January, he is averaging 17.3 ppg and 6.7 rpg. Those are solid numbers for a No. 2 guy on a playoff team.

One of the best young bucket-getters in basketball, he's shooting well from the field, too. If he cuts down his 3-point attempts (16-of-59), he'd be even more effective.

3436.jpg

Hibbert​

6. Roy Hibbert, Pacers
Hibbert is becoming an important piece on the Pacers, albeit a situational one at times. He's had some terrific games against teams with legitimate big men inside, like his 26 and 8 game against Orlando and his 21 and 7 against Minnesota. But against smaller teams, like Toronto, he barely plays.

Overall, he's been just as productive as last season. And since he's getting nine more minutes a game than he did in his rookie season, his stats are better. But as the Pacers look to the future, it's still not clear if he's more than just an effective role player.

3462.jpg

Thompson​

7. Jason Thompson, Kings
Thompson looked like a lock for this year's rook-soph game. However, he is really struggling now, averaging only 8.5 ppg and 7.3 rpg in January. What's worse is that his foul problems have increased -- he's averaging four a game in just 28 minutes.

The Kings thought they had their power forward of the future. But Thompson must fight for his spot going forward; Sacramento likely will be able to land a starting 4 through free agency or the draft if it so chooses.

2767.jpg

Ilyasova​

8. Ersan Ilyasova, Bucks
Ilyasova appears to have hit a wall, averaging just 6 ppg in the new year after scoring 11.9 ppg in each of the season's two previous months. In fact, going back to Dec. 21, he made just one field goal in five different games.

Part of his problem is shot selection -- almost half of his shot attempts have been 3s lately; in November and December, 3s accounted for only 35 percent of his overall shots. He's at his best when he's moving and finding shots inside the perimeter, as he's an excellent finisher.

3412.jpg

Anderson​

9. Ryan Anderson, Magic
Struggling since Rashard Lewis returned to the lineup, Anderson averaged only 6.8 ppg on 33.3 percent shooting from 3 in December. So he was benched for two games last week.

The Magic promptly lost at home to Toronto, then again at Washington, so Van Gundy put Anderson back into the lineup. He responded by scoring 26 points in the next two games combined, making 4 of his 8 3-point attempts. And the Magic won both games. That is how you earn back rotation minutes.

3455.jpg

Randolph​

10. Anthony Randolph, Warriors
Before going down with an ankle injury, if any player deserved more playing time, it was Randolph. Consider that his minutes had gone down to 19 per game this month and that he still averaged almost 12 ppg -- the same as he did with more playing time in November and December. His rebounds per game had been almost exactly the same from month to month as well.

Many young players let the roller coaster of playing time negatively impact their performance, but Randolph has avoided that with smarter shot selection despite the reduction in minutes. He may have some maturity issues behind the scenes, but any GM would be proud of a young player who has remained committed to getting better in an environment as strange as Golden State's.

[h3]Top 10 guards[/h3]
3468.jpg

Westbrook​

1. Russell Westbrook, Thunder
Westbrook has been a better all-around player this season and it's showing in his stats and in the Thunder's win column. Exactly a year ago, Oklahoma City had a total of six wins. Six. It currently has 21.

The quarterback for his team, Westbrook is as much a reason for the Thunder's success as Scott Brooks or Kevin Durant. His turnover rate (11.1) is down, his assist rate (26.7) is up and he can still score 25-plus points when necessary. If you ever read about the impossibility of teaching a 2-guard to play the point, just revel in what's going on in Oklahoma City.

3456.jpg

Rose​

2. Derrick Rose, Bulls
Ah, normalcy reigns again in this report. After ranking 12th on this list last month, the reigning Rookie of the Year is moving up the charts. He has been the catalyst for the resurgence in Chi-town, scoring 21.3 ppg on 51.4 percent shooting this month -- not an easy feat considering teams still lay in wait for him.

It's hard to balance scoring and setting guys up when you are as explosive off the dribble as Rose is, but he's learning to do just that. And his shot looks smoother, too. He may never see the floor the way Steve Nash, Chris Paul or Deron Williams do, but he sees it well enough to be a fun guy to play with. I like him as a player now more than ever.

3431.jpg

Gordon​

3. Eric Gordon, Clippers
Gordon is averaging 17 ppg and has a true shooting percentage of 58.7. Only one other shooting guard in the league is averaging more than 12 ppg with a true shooting percentage that high: Ray Allen, who averages 16.5 ppg and also boasts a 58.7 TS%. That's pretty special company for an undersized shooter like Gordon.

And Gordon is so much more than a shooter. He also gets to the line, where he averages almost four made free throws a game. And he's one of the more dynamic transition players in the NBA, as his strong build, combined with his agility and body control, make him very difficult to stop when he pushes the ball. He's still a bit of an either/or guy -- he either takes the 3 or drives to the rim -- but it seems only a matter of time before he improves his midrange game.

3450.jpg

Mayo​

4. O.J. Mayo, Grizzlies
If the 3-point contest were held tonight, Mayo would be the favorite. He's making 54.8 percent from behind the arc since Jan. 1. But the thing I like the most when I watch Mayo now is how invested he seems to be in winning.

Despite all the hype that surrounded him in his rookie season, he doesn't appear to have any obvious issues conceding to the likes of Zach Randolph, Rudy Gay and even Marc Gasol. Mayo could easily be a top-two or top-three option on a number of teams, but he is basically No. 4 in Memphis. Accepting a lesser role has helped turn the Griz into a potential playoff team, and he deserves some credit for it.

3438.jpg

Hill​

5. George Hill, Spurs
Hill is having an outstanding January, combining hot shooting with solid and sometimes spectacular defense. He's shooting 25-of-37 from the field (7-of-12 from 3) this month while playing over 20 minutes a night for a team that's won 12 of its last 16. His accuracy from deep and his energy on D make him a perfect role player in San Antonio.

The 26th pick in the 2008 draft, Hill is another example of the Spurs getting great value for their selections.

3417.jpg

Bayless​

6. Jerryd Bayless, Blazers
Bayless has been a strong part of Portland's rejuvenated rotation, where he finds a way to score from the perimeter, on drives and, of course, from the free throw line. He's taken 124 free throws in 560 minutes, whereas Mayo has only 121 free throw attempts in over 1,400 minutes. If Bayless can develop a consistent shot, his value would jump way up.

7. Mario Chalmers, Heat
In our rookie report last year, we mentioned that even though Chalmers was starting at point guard, he was not playing well enough to guarantee himself that spot in the future. That future arrived last weekend in the form of Rafer Alston, and now Chalmers is battling Carlos Arroyo for the backup spot. He's in the lead now, but that probably will be a race that goes back and forth until April.

3422.jpg

Douglas-
Roberts​

8. Chris Douglas-Roberts, Nets
With the strong play of Yi Jianlian, who is getting some of the offense run through him in New Jersey, CDR's numbers have taken a hit.

He's scoring just 10 ppg this month and his three-point outing against Boston on Wednesday marked a season low. He can still get buckets if given a chance, but it appears the Nets see him ultimately as a bench player.

9. Courtney Lee, Nets
Defense is still his strong suit -- he's among the league's top 20 in steals per game and is the Nets' best perimeter shutdown guy. But his offense is improving, too, with better shot selection and a stronger eye for passing. He recently set a career high in points (28) and in 3s made (5), so perhaps he's close to breaking out as a shooter. His current 12.00 PER is also a career high.

10. Anthony Morrow, Warriors
Morrow has seen fewer shots and minutes ever since Stephen Curry started to come on strong. His last 20-plus point game was back on Dec. 2 and his scoring average has dipped below 8 ppg this month.

Back
Top Bottom