Offical 2009-10 NBA Season Thread

Originally Posted by eeibaby

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Imagine if ATL had taken Rondo in that '06 draft SMH
imagine if they had taken cp3
There's a flip side to that. With CP3 they probably don't finish in the position to get Smith and Horford. While a CP3/JJ backcourt soundslike a dream...who knows what that front court would have been looking like?

I couldn't handle listening to Hondo last night after that bogus flagrant.
grin.gif

Serious, dude spent the rest of the night crying on the air about refs.
laugh.gif

Atlanta still baffles me. They have stretches where they look incredible, and then they have games like Orlando last week, or a 4th quarter like againstCleveland. Just puzzling.

By Chris Broussard

While the Houston Rockets realize that trading Tracy McGrady will not be easy, the club now believes it has a better than 50 percent chance of moving the fading superstar by the Feb. 18 trade deadline, according to league executives.

The Rockets are in discussions with several clubs about McGrady, and sources say two of the teams near the top of their wish list are Washington and Chicago.

Nothing is imminent with either team, but there are potential deals with both clubs that Houston would be interested in pulling off.

Washington, which league executives believe is in cost-cutting mode after the Gilbert Arenas disaster, could have McGrady for a deal featuring Caron Butler and some expiring contracts, perhaps Mike Miller and Randy Foye.

Chicago, which has definite interest in McGrady, also has the combination of young talent and expiring contracts the Rockets are looking for. There is a Bulls player Houston covets, but it's not clear who that is. Since the Rockets surely realize that Derrick Rose won't be traded, logic suggests it's Joakim Noah.

A package of Noah, Brad Miller and Jerome James (the latter two have expiring contracts) would work financially, but sources say the Bulls have no desire to part with Noah.

As for the Bulls, Kirk Hinrich is ahead of even Tyrus Thomas on their list of players they'd love to trade. In fact, Thomas is being offered around the league as a sweetener in any Hinrich deal. But with two years, $17 million left on his contract after this season, there's not a great market for Hinrich.

Believe it or not, sources say Philadelphia has not completely ruled out a McGrady-for-Andre Iguodala deal, if only because if the losing continues, Sixers ownership may order a fire sale.

Talks between the two teams have taken place but they have not reached the serious stage. Philadelphia hinted at a package of Iguodala and Samuel Dalembert for McGrady. But while Houston loves Iguodala's talent, it's not sure such a deal would make it a legitimate championship contender. To take back the four years, $57 million remaining on Iguodala's contract after this season, Houston has to be convinced it would become an immediate title contender once Yao Ming returns next season.

Elsewhere:

+ Several league executives disregarded Minnesota president David Kahn's proclamations that Al Jefferson is not on the trading block. But two sources who recently spoke with members of the Timberwolves organization said they've been told Jefferson is not available. And Kahn has told Jefferson that he will not be traded, according to sources.

There are circumstantial reasons to believe Kahn. Like, why start shopping Jefferson now, when he's coming off a knee injury and not yet at the top of his game, especially in an economic climate that has few teams willing to take on long-term contracts?

+ Sources from both the Los Angeles Lakers and the Toronto Raptors insist there have been no talks between the two clubs regarding an Andrew Bynum-for-Chris Bosh swap.

The Lakers view the 22-year-old Bynum as a key building block and a player whose best years are ahead of him. And Toronto has thus far been steadfast in its stance not to entertain trading Bosh this season.

Sources say the Raptors will not consider moving Bosh before next month's trade deadline unless Bosh tells them he definitely will not return to Toronto next season.

Toronto's Plan A has always been to re-sign Bosh. However, in considering all possibilities, the club has had internal discussions about Plans B and C, which would include trying to get as good a big man as possible for Bosh (if re-signing him was out of the question).

Obviously, Bynum would fit the bill. Still, for now, put this one in the category of fantasy.

+ Having lost 13 straight games, the perimeter-heavy Detroit Pistons would like to get their hands on Carlos Boozer. A Boozer-for-Rip Hamilton trade works, but Utah doesn't want to take back the three years, $38 million remaining on Hamilton's contract, even though he'd made a sweet backcourt mate for Deron Williams.

Boozer for Tayshaun Prince also works financially, but Prince has one more season after this one at $11 million, and the Jazz aren't looking to add salary for next season.

Utah coach Jerry Sloan wants to keep Boozer, who will be a free agent next summer, for the rest of the season, and perhaps beyond. To that end, the Jazz are shopping Andrei Kirilenko with all their might. But good luck with that one. Kirilenko won't have any takers until next season when he's in the last year of his deal.

New Jersey: I've said it before and I'll say it a few more times before June: The Nets are a sleeping giant in a special, special situation. Like the recently discussed T-Wolves, the Nets have their core on extremely reasonable deals, but what makes them different is that they combine that with a more desirable locations for free agents in the long term and a new owner who should be willing to spend what it will take to keep the team competitive. While 2011 is a reasonable option as well and should be used to fall back on if the big boys go elsewhere, the Nets' combination of talent, location, and cap flexibility makes them an underrated force in the free agent market. Couple that with a very good shot at the #1 pick and the fact that their biggest holes are SF and PF and you've got a nice formula for an impact…
Projected 2010 Salary [Devin Harris, Brook Lopez, Keyon Dooling's buy-out, Yi Jianlian, Terrance Williams, Courtney Lee, and CDR]:
PG - John Wall
SG - Courtney Lee / CDR
SF - Lebron James
PF - Amare Stoudemire / Yi Jianlian
C - Brook Lopez

pimp.gif

jay-lebron.jpg

atlantis-yards-barclays-center-brooklyn-new-york-shop-architects-ellerbe-becket-1-550x309.jpg

I've always been convinced that the Nets will get LeBron, Chicago will get Wade and the Knicks will get JJ and try for 2011. Curry and Jefferies are notgoing to get traded this season. Just my gut.

Originally Posted by Proshares

I've always been convinced that the Nets will get LeBron, Chicago will get Wade and the Knicks will get JJ and try for 2011. Curry and Jefferies are not going to get traded this season. Just my gut.

I'm greedy... I need Bosh as well.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Al3xis

right now

paying Dave Lee 9-10 mill

>>>

Paying JJ or Amare the max
I can agree with that. At least David Lee is capable of 20 and 10 in New York's system. That's worth 9-10 mil. JJ and Amare will give youthe same type of production that you've already seen out of them in a fast paced offense which isn't worth a max deal.

I see either NY or NJ giving Rudy damn near 70 something million due to him only being 24 years old and one of those teams will see him potentially becoming agreat player. If Memphis is put in that situation, they need to work out a sign and trade.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

right now

>>>

I can agree with that. At least David Lee is capable of 20 and 10 in New York's system. That's worth 9-10 mil. JJ and Amare will give you the same type of production that you've already seen out of them in a fast paced offense which isn't worth a max deal.

I see either NY or NJ giving Rudy damn near 70 something million due to him only being 24 years old and one of those teams will see him potentially becoming a great player. If Memphis is put in that situation, they need to work out a sign and trade.

When you stop and think about it arent those the same factors in Deng's contract?

They have to be smart and find a better option.

If I'm Donnie Walsh I'd plan the next couple months as:

Package Jeffries and Nate

Buy out Eddy Curry this summer and save 2 million

That opens up enough for 2 max deals.

The only 3 players I'd give a max deal to are LeBron, Bosh or Wade.

If 2 come great, if not...I re-sign Lee and use the leftover $ to sign a PG like Felton to go with one of them (fingers crossed, LeBron)

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

I've always been convinced that the Nets will get LeBron, Chicago will get Wade and the Knicks will get JJ and try for 2011. Curry and Jefferies are not going to get traded this season. Just my gut.

nerd.gif
Who you gonna trade LA to get him?

laugh.gif
joking, just playing ya'll, just jokes.
laugh.gif

NJ giving Rudy damn near 70 something million due to him only being 24 years old and one of those teams will see him potentially becoming a great player. If Memphis is put in that situation, they need to work out a sign and trade.
laugh.gif
NJ and this new Billion dollar owner ain't about togo through all this trouble with the move to Brooklyn to give 70 million to Rudy Gay and make him the first big acquisition under the new regime.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

NJ giving Rudy damn near 70 something million due to him only being 24 years old and one of those teams will see him potentially becoming a great player. If Memphis is put in that situation, they need to work out a sign and trade.
laugh.gif
NJ and this new Billion dollar owner ain't about to go through all this trouble with the move to Brooklyn to give 70 million to Rudy Gay and make him the first big acquisition under the new regime.

If he doesn't get Lebron, Bosh or Wade, he's going to give somebody alot of money. I'm sure he's not going to get any of those 3guys and he's probably going to look at who could potentially end up being a marquee name for that team. He can probably get any combination of Gay andanother guy like Amare.

I just have a bad feeling that some team is going to give Rudy some stupid offer and Memphis is going to be forced to match it. If they don't match it anddo a sign and trade, people are going to talk about how Heisley doesn't want to spend money.
laugh.gif
How much did Aldridge get? That's how much Rudy wants. I'll give himthat Rondo money and call it a day.

If 2 come great, if not...I re-sign Lee and use the leftover $ to sign a PG like Felton to go with one of them (fingers crossed, LeBron)

That sounds like a hell of a plan... but seriously... Who are the idiost who are going to throw away their jobs in order to take Nate and Jefferies ???
nerd.gif

nerd.gif

laugh.gif
ok.

right now

>>>

I definitely agree. I was thinking in JJ comes for less than the max if Donnie/Mike can sell him on '11.

I see either NY or NJ giving Rudy damn near 70 something million due to him only being 24 years old and one of those teams will see him potentially becoming a great player. If Memphis is put in that situation, they need to work out a sign and trade.
I'm a fan of Rudy but I don't want him anywhere near NY. If he goes to the dump in NJ, then fine.

I think Lee will be asking for more than $10M.
Then he can be in the same situation he was this summer.

[table][tr][td]2009-10 Power Rankings: Week 11[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RANK (LAST WK)[/td] [td]TEAM[/td] [td]REC.[/td] [td]COMMENT[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
cle.gif
[/td] [td]1 (1)[/td] [td]Cavaliers[/td] [td]29-10[/td] [td]Not going to grade them down too much for Friday's slip at Melo-less Denver. Not when the Cavs have won six of their past seven roadies and when none of their closest pursuers is healthy enough to push 'em.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
lal.gif
[/td] [td]2 (2)[/td] [td]Lakers[/td] [td]29-8[/td] [td]Kobe's, Pau's and Artest's injuries have been legit disruptions, but defensive slippage isn't so easily dismissed. Not when L.A. allows 100-plus points in eight of 11 after doing so just eight times in its first 26 games.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
bos.gif
[/td] [td]3 (4)[/td] [td]Celtics[/td] [td]26-9[/td] [td]An angry KG is ordered to rest his knee, and you inevitably wonder whether Boston will ever be healthy enough to make a real run ... but also whether the Lakers will wish they had done the same with Kobe's finger.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
orl.gif
[/td] [td]4 (3)[/td] [td]Magic[/td] [td]25-12[/td] [td]As the 41-game midpoint approaches and we reflect on the Magic's recent four-game skid as well as Vince Carter's latest injury, perhaps it's a wise time to say that their perfect 8-0 preseason didn't mean a whole lot.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
dal.gif
[/td] [td]5 (6)[/td] [td]Mavericks[/td] [td]25-12[/td] [td]Mike Bacsik isn't just the lefty who surrendered Barry Bonds' 756th homer. He's a rabid Mavs fan who tweeted late Saturday: "It's the '90's all over again. The Cowboys win a playoff game by 20 and the Mavs lose by 20."[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
pho.gif
[/td] [td]6 (10)[/td] [td]Suns[/td] [td]23-14[/td] [td]Such are the ups and downs we're seeing throughout the top 10 that Miami can deal Phoenix its fourth home defeat in eight games -- after Phoenix started 10-0 at home -- yet the Suns still rise in the rankings.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
por.gif
[/td] [td]7 (5)[/td] [td]Trail Blazers[/td] [td]23-16[/td] [td]The Blazers are tied with Cleveland and Dallas for the most wins in the league -- eight -- against the rest of the teams residing in our top 11. Which explains why they're still so high in spite of all those injuries.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
sas.gif
[/td] [td]8 (9)[/td] [td]Spurs[/td] [td]22-13[/td] [td]We all know second-half runs are the Spurs' specialty, but they have more ground to make up than normal because they've played just 13 games on the road and sport a 3-11 record against teams at or above .500.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
atl.gif
[/td] [td]9 (7)[/td] [td]Hawks[/td] [td]23-13[/td] [td]Hope this isn't our fault. Ever since we asked America whether it was time to officially proclaim that the East is home to four elite teams -- back when the Hawks were 8-2 -- Atlanta is an underwhelming 15-11.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
den.gif
[/td] [td]10 (11)[/td] [td]Nuggets[/td] [td]23-14[/td] [td]He'll never muscle his way to the top of MVP contention, but Friday's W over our No. 1 team in his comeback game -- without Melo -- is yet another example of why Denver Chauncey always has to be in the conversation.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
hou.gif
[/td] [td]11 (
glasses.gif
[/td] [td]Rockets[/td] [td]21-16[/td] [td]These Rockets have been so good at ignoring injury obstacles that you naturally expect them to grind through the trade rumors, too. Knowing that an easier second-half schedule is forthcoming should help the mood.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
okc.gif
[/td] [td]12 (12)[/td] [td]Thunder[/td] [td]20-16[/td] [td]The word for Durant's past 10 games is ridiculous: 32.7 ppg on 57.4 percent shooting and 47.1 percent on 3s. In related news, OKC has quadrupled its win total from last season's 5-31 mark at the same point.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
mia.gif
[/td] [td]13 (18)[/td] [td]Heat[/td] [td]18-17[/td] [td]Ran up an early 25-point lead on the Hawks. Stole one in Phoenix to improve to 6-2 in games decided by five or fewer points. And found a way to pilfer Rafer Alston from the Nets. Best week of the Heat's season.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
nor.gif
[/td] [td]14 (17)[/td] [td]Hornets[/td] [td]19-16[/td] [td]See what happens when we throw some committee (of one) spotlight on the Hornets' 2-13 road record? They win three roadies in the span of a week. Who would dare say these rankings don't mean anything?[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
tor.gif
[/td] [td]15 (15)[/td] [td]Raptors[/td] [td]19-19[/td] [td]Jim from Chicago wrote in to ask why we haven't been trotting out our trusty Leastern Conference references. And he certainly has a point when the Raps needed an 8-2 surge just to give the East six .500 teams.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
mem.gif
[/td] [td]16 (13)[/td] [td]Grizzlies[/td] [td]18-18[/td] [td]The Griz are back in the Southwest Division basement and awoke Monday as the West's No. 11 team, but read the fine print. They have to be right there with Houston and Sacramento at the top of the Cinderella Rankings.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
uth.gif
[/td] [td]17 (14)[/td] [td]Jazz[/td] [td]20-17[/td] [td]One road pounding of Dallas, impressive as it was, hasn't stopped the masses from wondering whether Utah plans to keep Boozer and see what it can salvage from this season or keep trying to slice its luxury-tax bill.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
lac.gif
[/td] [td]18 (21)[/td] [td]Clippers[/td] [td]17-18[/td] [td]They'll be patient with Griffin's debut and trading Camby in hopes of driving up Camby's value between now and the trade deadline. Why rush when you're nearly .500 and just beat the Lakers?[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
cha.gif
[/td] [td]19 (16)[/td] [td]Bobcats[/td] [td]16-19[/td] [td]You know who's nervous right now? The Houston Texans. They'll be the only franchise in North America's four major sports leagues that hasn't made it to the playoffs if the Jackson-Wallace partnership keeps clicking.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
sac.gif
[/td] [td]20 (19)[/td] [td]Kings[/td] [td]15-21[/td] [td]Should probably focus on the recent five-game skid as opposed to our guy Casspi's run of four straight 20-point games. Or we could just tell you Kevin Martin should be back soon to make the Kings really interesting.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
nyk.gif
[/td] [td]21 (20)[/td] [td]Knicks[/td] [td]15-21[/td] [td]Grizzlies of the East? Sounds like a slam, but it's not. The Knicks, you see, endured an even worse start than Memphis -- 1-9 compared with 1-8 -- but have rebounded with the East's third-best record (12-7) since Dec. 1.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
chi.gif
[/td] [td]22 (22)[/td] [td]Bulls[/td] [td]15-20[/td] [td]For all the early fuss about the Bulls' annual circus trip, Chicago's January looks just as rough with eight of this month's 10 remaining games on the road. (P.S. -- We have a lot more to say about the Bulls here.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
phi.gif
[/td] [td]23 (24)[/td] [td]76ers[/td] [td]11-25[/td] [td]It hasn't eased any pressure on Eddie Jordan or hushed any of the rampant trade speculation in Philly, but the Iverson reunion experiment is sure working for Iverson. Have you looked at All-Star voting lately?[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
mil.gif
[/td] [td]24 (23)[/td] [td]Bucks[/td] [td]15-19[/td] [td]I had literally just looked up from a mound of rankings research and switched the channel from Cavs-Blazers to Bucks-Lakers right when Michael Redd planted on that left knee ... and buckled. Evening ruined.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
gsw.gif
[/td] [td]25 (26)[/td] [td]Warriors[/td] [td]11-24[/td] [td]The Monta Ellis Show has been in Oaktown for a league-low 14 home games. So maybe Don Nelson isn't as far from the record for all-time wins -- currently 12 shy of Lenny Wilkens' 1,332 -- as it seems.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
was.gif
[/td] [td]26 (29)[/td] [td]Wizards[/td] [td]12-23[/td] [td]The Wiz actually won two games last week, not that anyone noticed. There might be only one outcome that can transport the franchise out of this nightmare, which is winning draft lottery and rights to John Wall.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
ind.gif
[/td] [td]27 (27)[/td] [td]Pacers[/td] [td]11-25[/td] [td]With Granger mercifully back from injury, T.J. Ford banished to the bench and the names of Jeff Foster and Troy Murphy coming up often in trade speculation, Indy is pretty newsy for a team stuck in the bottom five.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
min.gif
[/td] [td]28 (28)[/td] [td]Timberwolves[/td] [td]8-30[/td] [td]Maybe Jefferson and Love can't work long term as a tag team because neither provides shot-blocking or defensive athleticism. But breaking them up now, after basically a half-season under Rambis, is risky. Thoughts?[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
det.gif
[/td] [td]29 (25)[/td] [td]Pistons[/td] [td]11-24[/td] [td]Q: When does a dozen feel like a bigger number than 10 million? A: When Ben Gordon is credited with scoring the NBA's 10 millionth point in a loss to Philly that stretches Detroit's winless run to (yikes) 12 games.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
njn.gif
[/td] [td]30 (30)[/td] [td]Nets[/td] [td]3-34[/td] [td]Can't be easy to lock in when your team is 0-15 against the West, stuck on a 7-75 pace and stuck waiting for the official arrival of a new owner and summer cap space. But Devin Harris could be doing more. Couldn't he?[/td] [/tr][/table]

http:// [h3][/h3]
[h3]Hinrich sticking point for Bulls?[/h3]
11:39AM ET

[h5]Kirk Hinrich | Bulls[/h5]
Top Email

Yesterday, we noted that ESPN's Marc Stein reported the Bulls' intentions are to trade http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3032Tyrus Thomas before the deadline.

But might he only be a sweetener in a http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1981Kirk Hinrich deal? That's what ESPN the Magazine's Chris Broussard is reporting.

"Kirk Hinrich is ahead of even Tyrus Thomas on their list of players they'd love to trade," he writes. "In fact, Thomas is being offered around the league as a sweetener in any Hinrich deal. But with two years, $17 million left on his contract after this season, there's not a great market for Hinrich."

Hinrich is known as a good defender and ball handler, but his shooting woes this season are likely giving teams pause. His 37.8 field-goal percentage and 9.4 points per game are both the lowest of his career. Hinrich did suffer a thumb injury earlier this season which slowed him, and he's shot better in recent games.

If he keeps it up, he may be more valuable to teams come the trade deadline.

One rumor has placed Hinrich, Thomas and a draft pick to the Raptors for Chris Bosh. The Blazers have expressed interest in Hinrich in the past, and Thomas could help shore up their frontcourt depth which is lacking with Greg Oden and Joel Przybilla out for the season.

http:// [h3]Bulls, Wizards top teams for McGrady?[/h3]
11:23AM ET

[h5]Tracy McGrady | Rockets | Interested: 76ers?, Knicks?, Wizards?, Bulls?[/h5]
Top Email

We told you yesterday that even though the Knicks are interested in Tracy McGrady, it's probably not going to happen.

So who else could potentially trade for T-Mac? Nothing is imminent, but the Bulls and Wizards seem to be the top two teams pining for his services right now, according to ESPN the Magazine's Chris Broussard.

He's a convenient pick-up for the Bulls, in the sense that he's training in Chicago right now and his trainer has invited teams to come take a look at his workouts.

But beyond that, you have to wonder where he'd fit in with the Bulls. Do they want to re-sign him after this year, and potentially lose out on a chance to acquire LeBron James, Chris Bosh or Dwyane Wade in free agency?

And for the Wizards: If they're in cost-cutting mode, does taking on the largest contract in the league made sense? Will they ship Caron Butler in exchange for McGrady, and potentially not re-sign him, leading to a huge loss in scoring with both those guys gone?

Broussard has more on the matter, including another potential team in the 76ers to throw into the mix.

broussard_chris_30.jpg
[h5]Chris Broussard[/h5]
Bulls, Wizards lead McGrady sweepstakes
"The Rockets are in discussions with several clubs about McGrady, and sources say two of the teams near the top of their wish list are Washington and Chicago. Nothing is imminent with either team, but there are potential deals with both clubs that Houston would be interested in pulling off. Washington, which league executives believe is in cost-cutting mode after the Gilbert Arenas disaster, could have McGrady for a deal featuring Caron Butler and some expiring contracts, perhaps Mike Miller and Randy Foye. Chicago, which has definite interest in McGrady, also has the combination of young talent and expiring contracts the Rockets are looking for. There is a Bulls player Houston covets, but it's not clear who that is. Since the Rockets surely realize that Derrick Rose won't be traded, logic suggests it's Joakim Noah. A package of Noah, Brad Miller and Jerome James (the latter two have expiring contracts) would work financially, but sources say the Bulls have no desire to part with Noah ... Believe it or not, sources say Philadelphia has not completely ruled out a McGrady-for-Andre Iguodala deal, if only because if the losing continues, Sixers ownership may order a fire sale. "

http:// [h3]Butler's suitors[/h3]
10:56AM ET

[h5]Caron Butler | Wizards | Interested: Rockets?, Bulls?[/h5]
Top Email

We told you last week about Chicago's rumored interest in Caron Butler.

By all accounts, the Wizards will likely move someone before the trade deadline -- possibly Butler, Antawn Jamison or Brendan Haywood. There are rumored deals out there for all three of these players.

But beyond Chicago, the Rockets apparently also have interest in Butler and could acquire him in a swap for Tracy McGrady.

"Washington, which league executives believe is in cost-cutting mode after the Gilbert Arenas disaster, could have McGrady for a deal featuring Caron Butler and some expiring contracts, perhaps Mike Miller and Randy Foye," writes ESPN the Magazine's Chris Broussard.

Butler would provide a scoring pop for the Rockets, a team who's leading scorer is their point guard Aaron Brooks, and second-leading scorer is their sixth man Carl Landry. Houston currently ranks 19th in offensive efficiency, so depending on how he's used, Butler could help improve on that.

http:// [h3]Will Wade play for U.S.A.?[/h3]
10:44AM ET

[h5]Dwyane Wade | Heat[/h5]
Top Email

Dwyane Wade played in the 2004 and 2008 Olympics, but is leaning toward retiring from international play.

"I really said to myself after 2008, when we won the gold medal, that I was in the mind state that it was it for me," Wade told The Miami Herald. "Of course, my teammates have gotten into my ear a little bit and would love for me to be a part of it. But it's a long way away for me."

Wade says he it would be easier to commit to the 2012 Olympics if he didn't have to play this summer in the World Championships.

"It's this summer that makes it difficult," Wade said. "We all know the World Games are this summer. This is a very busy summer for me. I'm not trying to be selfish or make it all about me. I'm trying to make sure what I do is right for not only me, but for the organization I play for as well as for USA Basketball."

http:// [h3]McGrady willing to audition[/h3]
10:41AM ET

[h5]Tracy McGrady | Rockets[/h5]
Top Email

Trainer Tim Grover says Tracy McGrady is healthy and has invited all NBA team's to come to Chicago and watch him work out at Grover's Attack Center.

"One-hundred percent ready to go and he's been ready," Grover told the New York Post. "No limitations, no anything.

"Any team who wants to come down to Chicago, to come look at it, I don't pull any punches. Put him through anything they want him to put him through. Whether it's a trade or buyout, he's ready to go."

Rockets general manger Daryl Morey is looking to trade McGrady, but said it probably won't occur until around the trade deadline.

http:// [h3]Who's in play for Boozer?[/h3]
10:34AM ET

[h5]Carlos Boozer | Jazz | Interested: Pistons?, Bobcats?, Mavericks?[/h5]
Top Email

The Jazz are looking for luxury-tax relief. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1703Carlos Boozer is a potential trade chip in order to try and lessen this luxury-tax burden, as he's in the last year of his contract, which is paying him $12 million this year.

We told you last week that ESPN's Chad Ford threw out Dallas as a possible destination for Boozer, and ESPN's John Hollinger noted the Bobcats could swing a deal for him as well.

But ESPN the Magazine's Chris Broussard throws out another team today: Detroit.

broussard_chris_30.jpg
[h5]Chris Broussard[/h5]
Pistons could acquire Boozer for Hamilton or Prince
"Having lost 13 straight games, the perimeter-heavy Detroit Pistons would like to get their hands on Carlos Boozer. A Boozer-for-Rip Hamilton trade works, but Utah doesn't want to take back the three years, $38 million remaining on Hamilton's contract, even though he'd made a sweet backcourt mate for Deron Williams. Boozer for Tayshaun Prince also works financially, but Prince has one more season after this one at $11 million, and the Jazz aren't looking to add salary for next season. Utah coach Jerry Sloan wants to keep Boozer, who will be a free agent next summer, for the rest of the season, and perhaps beyond. To that end, the Jazz are shopping Andrei Kirilenko with all their might. But good luck with that one. Kirilenko won't have any takers until next season when he's in the last year of his deal."

hollinger_john_30.jpg
[h5]John Hollinger[/h5]
Jazz could package Boozer, Korver
"Utah would likely need to package Boozer with Kyle Korver, who has an expiring deal of his own worth $5.1 million. One such scenario, for instance, would be if the Jazz sent Boozer to Charlotte, a team that's suddenly angling for a playoff spot and in need of some help at power forward given Boris Diaw's disappointing output. The potential haul from such a deal is likely disappointing from Utah's perspective, as they could get Diaw, Gerald Henderson and a lottery-protected first-round pick. But that's about all they can expect considering Boozer will be a three-month rental for whoever acquires him."

http:// [h3]Perception not true?[/h3]
10:26AM ET

[h5]Utah Jazz[/h5]
Top Email

The Utah Jazz would like to get under the luxury tax, but they won't do it at all costs according to general manager Kevin O'Connor.

The thinking around the league is that the Jazz are committed to trimming payroll to get under the tax line after they traded Matt Harpring and Eric Maynor to Oklahoma City for Peter Fehese.

"I don't think we would get under the tax at all costs," O'Connor told The Salt Lake Tribune.

"I think we've heard this luxury-tax stuff long enough. We're trying to win games and we're committed to trying to win games. We made a move that I think saved us a great deal of money and going forward we're going to try and win games."

http:// [h3]More deals in the works?[/h3]
10:24AM ET

[h5]New Jersey Nets[/h5]
Top Email

Nets president Rod Thorn expects one or some of the top free agents in the 2010 class to move on before the Feb. 18th trade deadline.

"I think you're going to see a lot of action (league-wide) between now and the trade deadline," Thorn told The Star-Ledger. "You're probably going to see some major deals before it's over with."

Will the Nets be involved in all the trade talk and could another trade be coming?

"We'll be talking to people on a daily basis to see if there's other things we can do that we feel will help, whether it be short term or long term," Thorn told The Record.

According to the newspaper, the Nets have offered John Boone to Denver for forward Joey Graham and Tony Battie to the Knicks for Darko Milicic.

ford_chad_30.jpg
[h5]Chad Ford[/h5]
Nets don't want to end up like Pistons; Harris could be dealt
"The dream scenario for both New Jersey and New York is LeBron and Bosh would bolt their respective teams to go to a big-market team. Privately, Knicks and Nets sources have told me that's the only scenario in which they think they would have a real shot at prying LeBron out of Cleveland. If Bosh were to leave for the Lakers or Rockets -- teams he would be expected to sign with, given the financial advantages involved in doing so -- it would change things for the Nets and Knicks. Even before the rumors surfaced this weekend, the Nets were having second thoughts about their 2010 summer strategy. A source close to the Nets' thinking told me that they are concerned that if they don't land LeBron or Bosh, they may be stuck in the same situation the Pistons were in last summer -- with no elite free agents on the market, the Pistons were forced to overpay role players to fill out their roster ... That position has prompted the Nets to begin looking at other possibilities, including using their expiring contracts at the trade deadline to bring back players that can help their team now ... The same source said that the Nets might be willing to move Devin Harris, along with an expiring contract or two, if they could land an All-Star and another young asset. The source said Brook Lopez was the only untouchable on the team."

http:// [h3]Roster move coming?[/h3]
10:20AM ET

[h5]Milwaukee Bucks[/h5]
Top Email

Michael Redd is out for the rest of the season after tearing the ACL and medial collateral ligament in his left knee. He suffered the same injury last season.

Bucks general manager John Hammond said he won't make an immediate move to replace Redd's roster spot.

"We've played almost half the season without Michael to this point," Hammond told the Journal Sentinel, "and we don't feel a knee-jerk reaction is necessary at this time."

http:// [h3]Bosh not the Bulls top target?[/h3]
9:57AM ET

[h5]Chris Bosh | Raptors[/h5]
Top Email

There is talk that Chris Bosh could be dealt by the February trade deadline. Mike McGraw of the Daily Herald reports the Bulls will make a run at him if he's available now and will try to sign him this summer. McGraw also believes the Bulls No. 1 target in July isn't Bosh, but Dwyane Wade.

McGraw writes: "The Bulls will absolutely make a run at Bosh if he's available, offering basically anyone but Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah. Bosh would be much more effective with the Bulls if he plays next to Noah, because post defense isn't his specialty. There was a line in another story suggesting the Bulls will be devastated if they don't land Bosh next summer because he's their No. 1 target. That's not true. Dwyane Wade is their top target, unless LeBron James sends word that he's interested. Atlanta's Joe Johnson is probably candidate 1A and playing in Chicago would do wonders for his national profile. So that might be a realistic scenario."

http:// [h3]Another trade coming?[/h3]
9:45AM ET

[h5]New Orleans Hornets[/h5]
Top Email

The New Orleans Hornets traded Hilton Armstrong Monday as they try to get their payroll under the luxury tax threshold. They are about $500,000 above the line and general manager/head coach Jeff Bower says he will continue to be active in trade discussions.

"We'll see if there's a situation that presents itself that can help us in one way or another," Bower told The Times-Picayune Monday.

http:// [h3]What's up with Barbosa's minutes?[/h3]
9:43AM ET

[h5]Leandro Barbosa | Suns[/h5]
Top Email

Leandro Barbosa's minutes are down due to various injuries and the solid play of Goran Dragic. Will his time increase in the near future?

"It's a little bit of a new role for him in that we can't seem to get him as many minutes as in the past," Suns head coach Alvin Gentry tells The Arizona Republic. "But that could all change in a week. As I told the guys, 'You'll be called on at some stage to do things to help us win, and you have to be focused on that right here.' That might end up being 15 minutes or 30 minutes. LB's very important to our team. We've made that very clear to him. He gives us that punch off the bench sometimes that we don't have."

Barbosa will have surgery in the summer to remove a cyst from his right wrist.

"The pain's still there," Barbosa said. "It's still clicking when I dribble the ball. Sometimes it's very bad. Sometimes it's not. Sometimes when I shoot and snap the wrist it hurts a lot, but I've got to be tough on that one."

http:// [h3]Would Lee fit with OKC?[/h3]
8:56AM ET

[h5]David Lee | Knicks[/h5]
Top Email

The Oklahoma City Thunder are built around youngsters Kevin Durant, Jeff Green and Russell Westbrook. Could David Lee, who is an unrestricted free agent this summer, leave the Knicks and join the trio?

"Any team that has cap space, you have to give thought to," Lee told The Oklahoman. "I got to spend time with all of three of them last summer at the Olympic camp in Las Vegas. They're all good guys. I've known Jeff a couple of years. Anytime you have exciting young players, it would be a fun place to play. ... At this point there's so much still to be seen. I'm just concentrating on helping this team, which can do some good things, then see how everything pans out this summer."

http:// [h3]Jefferson not avaibale?[/h3]
8:56AM ET

[h5]Al Jefferson | Timberwolves[/h5]
Top Email

The Timberwolves are not trading Al Jefferson this season and did not offer him to Indiana for Danny Granger.

"I have not offered Al to anybody," Timberwolves president of basketball operations David Kahn told the Pioneer Press Monday. "As I've stated before, my preference is to go through the season and continue to evaluate the team before we do anything dramatic."

Kahn talked with Pacers vice president of basketball operations Larry Bird for about 20 minutes last Friday morning at Target Center, but Kahn said they never talked about Jefferson or Granger.

Kahn spoke to Jefferson and his agent, Jeff Schwartz, Monday to let them know the Wolves are not attempting to trade him.

"I have no desire to do anything with our core pieces this season," Kahn told the Star Tribune. "We don't know who we are yet. You can make some terrible mistakes by making decisions too quickly."

http:// [h3]Report laughable?[/h3]
8:55AM ET

[h5]Kevin Love | Timberwolves[/h5]
Top Email

There was a report Sunday that there are "some jealous stuff playing out" between Al Jefferson and Kevin Love and that was leading to chemistry issues, but both played denied that notion on Monday.

"Kevin is like a son to me in this league," Jefferson told the Star Tribune. "I believe in tough love with him. ... I don't know where that came from or who made it up."

"Al and I haven't had any problems since I got here," Love said. "It's kind of laughable to me. He has been helping me out all along. I took my biggest steps last year because of him, and this summer because of him."

http:// [h3]Blatche suspended[/h3]
8:32AM ET

[h5]Andray Blatche | Wizards[/h5]
Top Email

Andray Blatche was suspended one game by the Wizards Monday after Blatche became belligerent with the coaching staff, a source told The Washington Post.

The Wizards only said he was suspended for conduct detrimental to the team.

http:// [h3]Season over?[/h3]
8:22AM ET

[h5]Anthony Randolph | Warriors[/h5]
Top Email

Anthony Randolph is projected to miss about two months with multiple left ankle injuries reports the San Francisco Chronicle.

An MRI exam revealed Randolph has two torn ligaments and an avulsion fracture where an inside ligament pulled away from the bone.

"I expected it to be a long time, and I think it will be," head coach Don Nelson said. "I wouldn't call it season-ending, but I think it will be pretty close."

http:// [h3]Yao's status with China and Houston[/h3]
8:14AM ET

[h5]Yao Ming | Rockets[/h5]
Top Email

Rockets center Yao Ming is out for the season with a broken left foot. China Daily reports that Yao told sohu.com Monday that he won't be healthy enough to play for China in the World Championships this summer.

"I cannot catch up in time for the World Championship because I will not be able to get on to the court and start training until July," said Yao. "I hope this will provide a chance for some of the younger players. As for the Olympic Games, it's still too far way and hard to predict."

Yao was also asked if he'll stay with Houston when his contract expires and what type of contract he's looking for.

Yao replied: "I will not think about it until I'm fully fit. Injury is a big issue in a contract and it's too early to talk about it."

Yao can terminate his contract and become a free agent in July.

http:// [h3]No more gambling[/h3]
7:57AM ET

[h5]Miami Heat[/h5]
Top Email

The Miami Heat have decided to ban gambling on their team flights, although it has never been a problem for them.

"We understand what went on in Washington was a serious and unfortunate issue, Udonis Haslem told The Miami Herald before Monday's game against Utah. "We don't have those type of guys here and don't have to worry about what happened. But you have to respect the decision."

http:// [h3]K.G. to sit for 10 more days?[/h3]
7:30AM ET

[h5]Kevin Garnett | Celtics[/h5]
Top Email

Almost two weeks ago the prognosis for Kevin Garnett's return was 10 days. That timetable has passed and head coach Doc Rivers says 10 more days should be a sufficient amount of time for Garnett's right knee to be healthy enough for him to play.

"In the next 10 days, in that area," Rivers told the Boston Herald. "Now I'm pretty sure it's in the next 10 days. He started working out today for the first time. Now it's just a conditioning thing. We want to make sure he's strong and back in shape, because he literally hasn't done anything. Ten days to two weeks is what it will take, but I think it will be 10 days with him."

http:// [h3]Jordan's status a tense issue?[/h3]
7:15AM ET

[h5]Eddie Jordan | 76ers[/h5]
Top Email

Last Friday 76ers president Ed Stefanski wouldn't guarantee that Eddie Jordan would remain as the head coach for the rest of the season. Jordan says the two have not discussed Stefanski's comments.

"Not really," Jordan told PhillyBurbs.com. "That was his conversation with you guys. We have, sort of, different conversations."

"It doesn't bother me," Jordan told The News Journal.

The newspaper noted that "a 76ers spokesman then quickly ended the pregame press conference before Jordan could field any more questions. It's clearly becoming a tense issue for the team."

http:// [h3]Too early to panic?[/h3]
6:49AM ET

[h5]Hedo Turkoglu | Raptors[/h5]
Top Email

Hedo Turkoglu let it be known on Sunday that he's frustrated because he doesn't handle the ball as much as he did with Orlando. Raptors head coach Jay Triano understands Turkoglu's plight and says he'll work on getting him the ball more.

"I would like to see him have the ball a little bit more too," Triano told the Toronto Sun. "We have to find a way to get him involved a little bit more maybe. I look at the fact we are one of the top scoring teams in the NBA.

"Is it too early in the season to panic? Absolutely. Turk makes great plays. On (Sunday), he did not have a great game offensively and he still had nine assists. He took nine shots. That's 18 times he had the ball. "Does he want it more? Yes. Does everybody? Yes."

http:// [h3]West back with Hawks[/h3]
6:21AM ET

[h5]Mario West | Hawks[/h5]
Top Email

According to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the Hawks are expected to sign Mario West Tuesday to a 10-day contract. West played with the team the last two seasons and has been playing for the Maine Red Claws in the D-League.

The Hawks waived Othello Hunter last week and needed to sign someone to bring the roster to 13.

http:// [h3]Varejao going vertical?[/h3]
6:08AM ET

[h5]Anderson Varejao | Cavaliers[/h5]
Top Email

Anderson Varejao has been on of the best players in the NBA at drawing charges. This season his numbers are way down and that's due to an adjustment in defensive philosophy and the way games are being called by the refs.

"They weren't giving [charging calls to opponents] much anymore," Varejao told The Plain Dealer, referring to referees. "So I've had to adjust and change to something else."

Cavs head coach Mike Brown also wants Varejao to to master the "rule of verticality," which means a player may jump straight up to defend a shot and not be called for a foul.

"His awareness, especially when he's been off the ball, has always been tremendous and now he's using it in a different way," Brown said. "The way he used to play might have started to work against him because they say he flops. And when he gives up his body to take a charge, he may not get the call. Then he's been taken out of the play. But when he uses the rule of verticality, he's always in the play."

http:// [h3]Bonner practices, when will he play?[/h3]
5:27AM ET

[h5]Matt Bonner | Spurs[/h5]
Top Email

Matt Bonner was cleared Monday to participate in some practice activities. Bonner broke his right hand Dec. 19 and hopes to play on Jan. 20.

"I'm not cleared yet for full-court scrimmage," Bonner told the San Antonio Express-News, "but one-on-one and two-on-two, and slowly get back into contact and everything.

"It's still sore, but they say that unless I fall on it and re-displace the fracture, it's all about my pain tolerance."

http:// [h3]Why is Jones out of the rotation?[/h3]
5:05AM ET

[h5]Dahntay Jones | Pacers[/h5]
Top Email

Dahntay Jones was a key player in the Pacers rotation, but now he's out of it and he even got his first DNP-CD of the season Monday.

"Dahnty is a great guy to have on the team. What I try to do, and it's nothing against Dahntay right now, I try to put guys on the court that can space the court," Pacers head coach Jim O'Brien told The Indianapolis Star. "This basketball team needs to be a real threat on the perimeter in order to open the inside.

"Dahntay is a very tenacious player, but we struggle to space the court when he's out there. It doesn't mean the coaches decision not to play him is permanent."

why would washington trade butler for tmac?
laugh.gif

but id take tmac on the Lakers
pimp.gif

bosh for bynum?...dammit i knew that was a rumor
mad.gif
...f peter vescey richardhatch looking mofo

Dallas: The team with the trades. Since the Collective Bargaining Agreement that changed the game in 2005, no team has had the combination of assets that Mark Cuban has going into this off-season.
pimp.gif
Somebody gonna need a bailout and Cuban will be rightthere to reap the benefits... Too bad every Mavs fan will be HYPE about potential moves and we'll end up trading those contracts for some over-the-hill bumlike Ray Allen and a conditional second-rounder...
laugh.gif

I'd cry tears of joy if we were able to get CB4 at the deadline while keeping Noah... LITERALLY!

that being said. I won't place too much faith in this organization letting its nuts hang like need be.
tired.gif

That sounds like a hell of a plan... but seriously... Who are the idiost who are going to throw away their jobs in order to take Nate and Jefferies ???
nerd.gif
Jared Jefferies isn't a bad player. He can guard multiple positions, and is a pretty good teammate. He is pretty limited offensivly but hehas been one of the better defenders in the league this year. His game doesn't show up in the stat column. I don't see any reason why a teamwouldn't him with Nate if the deal was right.

Back
Top Bottom