Off-duty officer shoots and wounds two men after being assaulted...was he justified?

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- An off-duty police officer shot and wounded two men who had assaulted him in the crowded Angel Stadium parking lot after Wednesday night's Colorado Rockies-Los Angeles Angels game, authorities said.

The officer, who was walking to his car with his wife and two small children about 25 minutes after the game, was hit in the head with a bottle or club, police Sgt. Tim Schmidt said.

"We think he was the victim of a crime," Schmidt said.

The off-duty officer then shot the men with his duty weapon, Schmidt said. Police did not immediately identify the officer or the shooting victims.

One man was shot in the head and was in critical condition, the other was shot in the upper arm and in serious but stable condition. The officer also had a serious head wound. All three were taken to hospitals.

No one else in the parking lot was hurt, Schmidt said.

The Orange County District Attorney's office joined the Anaheim Police department in investigating the incident, which is required in officer-involved shootings.

The Angels had beaten the Rockies 11-3 earlier in the evening.

Rachel Cordova was among the startled and confused fans in the parking lot.

"We heard three shots and turned around and I thought, 'Those are gun shots,' " Cordova told KNX radio. "One of the guys I was with said 'No, it's not,' but then we heard sirens."

Cordova said she then walked toward the scene.

"I left there and saw a young, maybe 20-year-old male laying on the ground without his shirt, and they were attending to him," she said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4285702

I guess this is on the heels of the dude who said he had his hand on his gun but didn't shoot the people robbing his home....

in this case, a man was assaulted with something, and shot the assailiants...was this justified, or how would this look if he wasn't affiliated w. thepolice?

Originally Posted by AF1 Beast

How are you gon' shoot two people in front of your kids?
How you gonna let 2 people possibly assault your wife and kids?

They already attacked you. You going to wait and see who they attack next?

Im sorry but I would pop those two fools also. Just not in the head
laugh.gif
thats OD

Originally Posted by SIZE TENS

He could've used some other type of force instead of shooting someone in the head to where they are in critical condition.

So this situation went like this...

The two men threw the bottle & it hit the off duty officer in the head... the officer then responded by pulling out his gun & shooting both of thesemen...

If that is how the situation played out, then no the officer was not justified...

But i definitely think that there is more to this story than the info we have now...

He could've used some other type of force instead of shooting someone in the head to where they are in critical condition.
What kind of fantasy land do some of you live in?

Best of luck to you and trying to negotiate with someone who busted a bottle over your head.

If I fear that myself or my family is going to be harmed I am not aiming for his foot or gonna try to scrap with them. I'm blastin' whatever is infront of the barrel.

he was completely justified. he was assaulted with a weapon not even fists. dudes pulled out a weapon and he happened to have a stronger one

Originally Posted by paliplaya2010

he was completely justified. he was assaulted with a weapon not even fists. dudes pulled out a weapon and he happened to have a stronger one
dues brought a glass bottle to a gun fight and now theyre salty
roll.gif

What kind of fantasy land do some of you live in?

Best of luck to you and trying to negotiate with someone who busted a bottle over your head.

If I fear that myself or my family is going to be harmed I am not aiming for his foot or gonna try to scrap with them. I'm blastin' whatever is in front of the barrel.
Who said it was on purpose? You don't know what happened there. You weren't there.
He could've at least got his club, smacked them up, and called for back-up.
And if he was gonna shoot them, he could've at least shot them in the stomach or something.

word...the dude had his kids with him. i woulda shot somebody too.

off-duty cops be on some +!$%

something HAD to pop off before he did

_'s dont bust u in the head with a bottle all random out of a crowd of people for no reason

dudes a cop...he's gonna get off...you know if somebody regular on the street reacted the way he did theyll be locked down for a minute
smh.gif

Originally Posted by reeeem0

_'s dont bust u in the head with a bottle all random out of a crowd of people for no reason
Are you saying that you've never seen a video of somebody randomly attack another person just for the hell of it?

What do we have guns for if you can't use them? You going to wait until the other guy pulls a gun out? Too late. You're dead.

Af1 beast a club? Really? Lol who carries a club and gun off duty? And smack them up and call for back up? He's not the hulk. And by the time he tries tocall the cops his family could be in danger.

Originally Posted by Chicagos Finest 23

Af1 beast a club? Really? Lol who carries a club and gun off duty? And smack them up and call for back up? He's not the hulk. And by the time he tries to call the cops his family could be in danger.
laugh.gif

Yeah, you're right. I guess I was thinkin a little off.
laugh.gif

See? This is what pisses me off.

You have a handful of people with legitimate reasons to dislike cops and then you get a bunch of clowns (like ones in this thread) trying to turn every copaction in to a "police brutality" or "excessive force" lawsuit.

The hell was the cop supposed to do? Run away? Fight while being outnumbered? Are you a %+$%@@# idiot?

I swear.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

word...the dude had his kids with him. i woulda shot somebody too.

+1 he had all the right to shoot them
he felt his and his family's lives where in danger

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Originally Posted by reeeem0

Are you saying that you've never seen a video of somebody randomly attack another person just for the hell of it?

What do we have guns for if you can't use them? You going to wait until the other guy pulls a gun out? Too late. You're dead.

dont need no vids off youtube sir...im speaking based off of experience (of seeing it happen).

@!@% like that dont happen out here just for the hell of it
laugh.gif

dude was a cop, he could of started the whole thing beforehand and would STILL get off easy cause of a badge.

im just saying if it was a regular person, it wouldnt be so easy to get off.

He was justified if he felt his life was being threatened. So in this situation if they hit him in the head more than once than i understand where he is comingfrom. But just once? I woulda gone chuck norris on them and hit 'em with the roundhouse to the face.

Random acts of stupidity do happen...what if those two who got shot didn't even know he was a cop..let alone an off-duty one.

He doesn't have to announce his profession. Maybe he was being vulgar and they took it to the next level...

Cop or not, can't assume folks don't have guns. You going to act tough by throwing a bottle, then well, something bad may happen to you.

And what is this talk about grabbing his club? I know some cops, hardly any of them have anything but their pistol on them when off duty...doubt he was ridingaround in a patrol car w/ his family.

Back
Top Bottom