Obama's community service plan

Originally Posted by K8be wan Kenobi

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

Originally Posted by saint lt

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

oh..and I'd scratch out the middle schoolers.
just HS and College kids

why? it would give them more of an option to stay out of trouble.

Parents.
Because American parents are doing such a great job keeping their kids active and in-shape, not addicted to video games and TV, and not involved in crime...

Yeah, so let the government spend peoples money and do the parents job, right?

That's the problem in this country, people don't like to take accountability.

If your kid is a bad %$$ or sucks in school, that is YOUR fault.

just HS and College kids

Parents.
Because American parents are doing such a great job keeping their kids active and in-shape, not addicted to video games and TV, and not involved in crime...

This dude Fede thinks all kids have parents that give a damn. What perfect world do you live in?

the problem with that line of reasoning is that it's amounts to 1 hr per week...
something like this will NOT stop kids from getting into trouble.

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

just HS and College kids

Parents.

This dude Fede thinks all kids have parents that give a damn. What perfect world do you live in?

No I dont. If you cant be a responsible parent DON'T have kids, very simple concept.

just HS and College kids

Parents.

It's better than funding wars, not everyones parents can be around all the time. Plenty of parents have to work multiple jobs in order to provide fortheir children.

the problem with that line of reasoning is that it's amounts to 1 hr per week...
something like this will NOT stop kids from getting into trouble.
once people especially kids start doing something they find enjoyment & fulfilment out of they'll probably do it more than one hour aweek.

yeah now that i think about it ... this is %#*$@%*% ... what kid isnt gonna work an hour per week to get a college education? thats like free school ... a hourper week? and youre taking jobs from people on top of that ... i dunno this is counter productive

just HS and College kids

Parents.

It's better than funding wars, not everyones parents can be around all the time. Plenty of parents have to work multiple jobs in order to provide for their children.

If that's the case, spend it on capable teachers.

If we are going to pound Fed money into the youth, spend it on the teachers. I'm against alot of Fed spending, but pay the freakin teachers.

"When you choose to serve -- whether it's your nation, your community or simply your neighborhood -- you are connected to that fundamental American ideal that we want life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness not just for ourselves, but for all Americans. That's why it's called the American dream."

The Obama Administration will call on Americans to serve in order to meet the nation's challenges. President-Elect Obama will expand national service programs like AmeriCorps and Peace Corps and will create a new Classroom Corps to help teachers in underserved schools, as well as a new Health Corps, Clean Energy Corps, and Veterans Corps. Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year. Obama will encourage retiring Americans to serve by improving programs available for individuals over age 55, while at the same time promoting youth programs such as Youth Build and Head Start.

So Obama is going to MAKE people serve 50-100 hours community service. I really want to get behind this President
tired.gif
but this is ridiculous. Brownshirt armies man. if people want to serve theircommunity they can and should. Morality and service should NEVER be mandated. Mandatory community service in government programs sounds suspiciously like youthcamps and social brainwashing stuff.
My point is that government should become less involved in our lives. The Obama administration has so many ideas that have been done by Stalin and Marx andMao. Invasionist governing FTL.

just HS and College kids

Parents.

No I dont. If you cant be a responsible parent DON'T have kids, very simple concept.
Simple concept? Again what perfect world do you live in?

Ever hear of parents that don't get along and put their kids in the middle? Parents who got laid off? Parents who are alcoholics? Parents who beat theirchildren?

Yes DON'T have kids, that's a PERFECT solution isn't it? What happens to the parents that still do have kids and they don't care about theirkids? What's your perfect solution to that?

It shouldn't be a requirement...I like the thought behind it, but tellin sumbody they HAVE 2 do anything is a real turnoff 2 me. Community service shouldbe a choice or a punishment, IMO.

Originally Posted by tylerdub

"When you choose to serve -- whether it's your nation, your community or simply your neighborhood -- you are connected to that fundamental American ideal that we want life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness not just for ourselves, but for all Americans. That's why it's called the American dream."

The Obama Administration will call on Americans to serve in order to meet the nation's challenges. President-Elect Obama will expand national service programs like AmeriCorps and Peace Corps and will create a new Classroom Corps to help teachers in underserved schools, as well as a new Health Corps, Clean Energy Corps, and Veterans Corps. Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year. Obama will encourage retiring Americans to serve by improving programs available for individuals over age 55, while at the same time promoting youth programs such as Youth Build and Head Start.

So Obama is going to MAKE people serve 50-100 hours community service. I really want to get behind this President
tired.gif
but this is ridiculous. Brownshirt armies man. if people want to serve their community they can and should. Morality and service should NEVER be mandated. Mandatory community service in government programs sounds suspiciously like youth camps and social brainwashing stuff.
My point is that government should become less involved in our lives. The Obama administration has so many ideas that have been done by Stalin and Marx and Mao. Invasionist governing FTL.

roll.gif
Well I guess Cindy McCain can be considered a "INVASIONIST"Whatever that means?

By harnessing the best impulses of our millions, we can change the world through service and volunteerism. Since 2002, volunteerism has greatly increased, but recent figures indicate a worrisome decline. Cindy McCain

cindy-mccain-as-johns-first-lady-i-would-help-find-opportunities-for-people-to-serve

volunteerism ... ... ... ... ... ... did you just overlook that whole thing you just posted, or is your comprehension skills that poor?

Originally Posted by MarleysProtege

volunteerism ... ... ... ... ... ... did you just overlook that whole thing you just posted, or is your comprehension skills that poor?

Volunteerism means doing something without receiving any sort of gain which is in hindsight what Obama wants. To encourage young people to volunteer forcommunity service!

I was required to do 40+ hours my senior year back in 03. i wish this would have been in place back then. 50 hours is nothing.

Volunteerism means doing something without receiving any sort of gain which is in hindsight what Obama wants. To encourage young people to volunteer for community service!

But there is gain for college students. I don't think it would be required if there wasn't some kick back.

Fede why do you bother even making (valid) points?
After all you're just a selfish salty republican.
eyes.gif

Volunteerism means doing something without receiving any sort of gain which is in hindsight what Obama wants. To encourage young people to volunteer for community service!

But there is gain for college students. I don't think it would be required if there wasn't some kick back.
What gain is there? My buddy's daughter, a freshman in high school has over 500 hours in community service already from volunteering at a notfor profit basketball camp for inner city kids. She is not getting anything from volunteering other than to dress up her college application letter forHarvard.

In the words of the military, this isn't volunteering, this is being "voluntold". If you force somebody to volunteer, itsnot volunteering anymore.

While this sounds like a great idea in theory, I think the execution of this would be be nearly impossible. Encouraging our youths tovolunteer is a great idea, but this plan won't work.

What is the punishment if a student does no fulfill their 50 hours per year? Are they going to hold middle and high school students backas if they failed the grade academically? From personal experience, I already know plenty of people that skip class, what's the difference between skippinga class and skipping community service?

When I think of community service, I think either doing it by volunteering through clubs like Key Club/National Honor Society or it beingcourt mandated. Since this would be forced, it would essentially be the same as court mandated which would take all of the enthusiasm out of the students andmake it more of a task than something to look forward to. Low worker moral leads to poor quality and might actually lead to more problems than it will fix.

I also foresee transportation issues. How would middle schoolers, 9[sup]th[/sup], 10[sup]th[/sup] and other students withoutcars get to these locations? If parents work during the day, school transportation would be required and unless each community service location needs a busfull of students, I don't see how efficient it would be.

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

Fede why do you bother even making (valid) points?
After all you're just a selfish salty republican.
eyes.gif

Sigh.
depressed McCain fans comforting each other..
laugh.gif
jk

i don't see anything wrong with this idea. too many kids ae lazy slobs these days, sitting around playing Xbox. we wonder why we're falling behind inthe world, it's because our kids don't have any damn work ethic. dudes are seriously crying about 50 hours of community service. i'm sorry, ididn't grow up with that lazy slob culture.

What gain is there? My buddy's daughter, a freshman in high school has over 500 hours in community service already from volunteering at a not for profit basketball camp for inner city kids. She is not getting anything from volunteering other that to dress up her college application letter to go to Harvard.
so you completely misse dthe fact that the guys point you were replying to originally was that this is FORCED on the kids ... and you rebuttalwith an article about voluteering saying cindy mccain had the same ideas ... i mean i know im not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but come on son ... ... ...

Back
Top Bottom