NYPD Officer Gives Homeless Man a Pair of Boots & Socks

say word? he didnt know he was being filmed? she's like 6-7 feet away. Homie must still have that Officer Hoyt steeze where everything is cupcakes and gumdrops.

What type of awareness is that tho? what if she was aiming the cannon?

what he did was commendable, but the event is kinda suspect.

Why is this a discussion with opposing sides?...how can negativity come from what the cop did, regardless if his intentions was to make himself feel good or to genuinely look out for the homeless man is something only he knows and the only thing that we should take from this is that he did something kind.

As far as te NYPD...well we all know they need this type of good publicity after all the wrong they do that makes the front page of the news I won't be surprised if they milk this to the max and probably makes the front page of the New York Post, can't really blame the department, wish more cops were this kind to the public and sure hope this young man remains the same throughout his career, although is unlikely.

say word? he didnt know he was being filmed? she's like 6-7 feet away. Homie must still have that Officer Hoyt steeze where everything is cupcakes and gumdrops.
What type of awareness is that tho? what if she was aiming the cannon?
what he did was commendable, but the event is kinda suspect.

Is it really that hard to believe that a human being can perform an act of kindness for another one without us drawing the conclusion that he was just doing it for a show?...is this the type of world we live in?

Great responses in here. Cop won't last long on the beat tho. Son has a heart and will get smoked shortly. Are you a sheep or a wolf

Definitely an action worthy of praise, but the publicity it's getting shows just how screwed up our police force is. For every 1 cop like this, there's 100 more who would dismiss, degrade, and or eventually arrest a homeless person just for being homeless. Seen it more times than I can remember.
Still, props to the officer.

I'd say it's the opposite. For every 1 cop who would harass someone, there are 100 that won't.

So I suppose I should ask the question, why did the officer give the homeless man a pair of shoes? The answer is simple. The homeless man was without a pair of shoes. So the officer improves the homeless man's quality of life. That's fact. At this point, I'm definitely saying the Police Officer does this act and he receives self-gratification for doing it....not that his SOLE motive for acting was to feel better about himself. I think it's fairly clear in this example as the Police Officer is quoted in the article, saying he could "only imagine how cold the pavement was", empathizing with the homeless man's plight. The Police Officer put himself in the homeless man's shoes :lol: and is compelled to help. The real argument lies in whether personal gratification is truly a "gift" in return when compared to fame, money, and position.

Once again, there's nothing wrong with receiving gratification for helping. Nothing at all. I'd assume in most charitable cases, the doer sees a situation and subconsciously says to themselves, "I can't let this be. I must act."

oh man, i kinda made the assumption that we didn't actually know what the officer's intentions were, so i apologize for that.

i guess my point is that you don't have to receive self gratification to do something that is right (i.e. giving a homeless man a pair of shoes).

The philosophy that there is no such thing as a completely selfless act(unless it was accidental) is a pretty agreeable one in my opinion. I don't see why there are so many people disagreeing with it.

That being said, I don't think it has a place in this thread when it's being used to degrade what the cop did. Whether true altruism exists or not is an academic debate. Assuming true altruism doesn't exist, we can degrade just about anything and everything. We have to be relative when we judge this NYPD officer. He did a good thing and it would be presumptuous to think otherwise.

Nice act by the officer, but people give tons of shoes and clothes to homeless people every year.  Impresses me that he didn't give the homeless man a pair of handcuffs afterward...

im glad this went viral instead of da usual rodney king *** whooping/shooting deaths/raping NYPD is usually getting internet clicks for....

Who really cares if there is or isn't such thing as a "completely selfless act?" The whole argument is meant to devalue what should be seen as a kind act from one human to another. The cop did the dude a solid, stop over thinking it.

The philosophy that there is no such thing as a completely selfless act(unless it was accidental) is a pretty agreeable one in my opinion. I don't see why there are so many people disagreeing with it.

That being said, I don't think it has a place in this thread when it's being used to degrade what the cop did. Whether true altruism exists or not is an academic debate. Assuming true altruism doesn't exist, we can degrade just about anything and everything. We have to be relative when we judge this NYPD officer. He did a good thing and it would be presumptuous to think otherwise.

Yeah...maybe we should discuss altruism in that Porsche thread (God, that's a sexy car). Seriously though, whether their is such a thing as true altruism or not, how does it change anything? Honestly, I wish people felt more compelled to give and be kind to their neighbor for the self-gratification one receives. I really don't see it as a bad thing.

This:
You forgot we were on Niketalk for a second? Even when cops do something good its still **** the police.

And this:
I'd say it's the opposite. For every 1 cop who would harass someone, there are 100 that won't.
I see it every day.

People act like most cops are getting away with crime on the daily. Like they arent held accountable or never punished. Prosecutors love to get convictions on cops.

You mean to tell me most cops are doing dirt in this litigious society??? Yeah ok....

But I must remember, this is NT. No use in debating this. smh.

Last edited:
Still doesn't change the fact that it was a good deed, some people just don't know any other way to live once they hit a certain situation

Back
Top Bottom