NY METS 2011 POST: Jose Reyes wins National League Batting Crown

HUGE difference between fans making those remarks and the owner of the team doing so...and in the MIDDLE OF THE #%@@@%! SEASON! The article refers to Steinbrenner having made similar comments about players over the years but the Wilpons need to realize right now that they have a team that is a) not a good investment at the moment b) partly due to declining fan interest c)which is mainly as a lack of results and confidence in ownership to right the ship.

It ALL falls on the Wilpons. They make the hires, they oversee everything and in some instances from the past, had their say a little too much. Fred Wilpon fancies himself a baseball expert. You hired Steve Phillips and Omar Minaya, you wrote the checks for these players. You sat on your hands this offseason aside from management changes that you needed to make. I have confidence in Alderson & company but not if the Wilpons are still in charge and hold the pursestrings with all of this other BS.

I think since he's such a fan, Wilpon probably looked at it as an optimistic point of view with the hope that maybe, if everything goes perfectly, we'll win. Rather than making some comments to further put down your team and its players in an article that you clearly did to tell your side of the story and improve the image of your family, you should've just shut your damn mouth or left those comments off the record. If you have the lack of foresight to not realize stuff like that is gonna get to the fanbase who already doesn't view you too positively, that's on you. I'm sure he just looked at it as an article that told got across what he wanted to in terms of the Madoff situation.

Keep in mind too that even as great as Citifield is, and I absolutely love it overall, HE determined the direction it took and that it was his personal ode to the Brooklyn Dodgers as much as it was the Mets new ballpark. That didn't sit well with a lot of fans and when you're already not putting a winning product on the field, you better make sure everything you're doing is right. Until then, the ballpark will be well below capacity and a family that could see some huge losses as a result of the Madoff situation could just hurt themselves even further.

WOW taking shots at your own players.  After starting off 5-13 and scrapping their way back to be 2 games under .500 is all heart to me.  
sick.gif
sick.gif
At Mets owner

WOW taking shots at your own players.  After starting off 5-13 and scrapping their way back to be 2 games under .500 is all heart to me.  
sick.gif
sick.gif
At Mets owner

Originally Posted by Proshares

Best 3rd baseman in baseball? Nah man you're bugging on that one. He wasn't better than A-Rod in 07 or 08 and he wasn't better than Zimmerman the last two year. I will give you that Rollins is probably holding his (or Holliday's) MVP. Besides, he isn't saying Wright is no good just not a superstar and that's 100% correct IMO.

Zimmerman struggles to stay on the field, while Wright is more incosistent, he's the better base-runner and defender.
Neither should be your best hitters, however I'd take Wright.

Best 3rd baseman in baseball? Nah man you're bugging on that one. He wasn't better than A-Rod in 07 or 08 and he wasn't better than Zimmerman the last two year. I will give you that Rollins is probably holding his (or Holliday's) MVP. Besides, he isn't saying Wright is no good just not a superstar and that's 100% correct IMO.

Zimmerman struggles to stay on the field, while Wright is more incosistent, he's the better base-runner and defender.

as bad as the remarks are, its still a really interesting article.

they wanna say its the same as when Steinbrenner used to make those comments, but Georgie was a different person than Wilpon. Fred doesnt have the balls that GS had and for him to say these things now is really out of character. he has to know his days of owning the Mets are coming to an end.

hope the teams can put this behind them and take this series in Chicago.

as bad as the remarks are, its still a really interesting article.

they wanna say its the same as when Steinbrenner used to make those comments, but Georgie was a different person than Wilpon. Fred doesnt have the balls that GS had and for him to say these things now is really out of character. he has to know his days of owning the Mets are coming to an end.

hope the teams can put this behind them and take this series in Chicago.

I've always wanted dude gone, now I hope some of you can finally see why.

Dude is and always has been a clown.

Beltran is probably one of the better Mets players we've ever had, when he was healthy the guy was always hitting, but some people will always just dislike him cause of his "demeanor". Even in the playoffs he and Delgado were the only ones doing anything offensively. Guy just can't stay on the field.

I've always wanted dude gone, now I hope some of you can finally see why.

Dude is and always has been a clown.

Beltran is probably one of the better Mets players we've ever had, when he was healthy the guy was always hitting, but some people will always just dislike him cause of his "demeanor". Even in the playoffs he and Delgado were the only ones doing anything offensively. Guy just can't stay on the field.

it sucks that Beltran will never get the credit he deserves. it took that first year to get him going, but we werent going to do anything in 05 anyway. for 3 and 1/2 years he was the MAN in that lineup (started hot in 09 too before the initial injury). sure hes still makes big money, but he was worth it overall.

it sucks that Beltran will never get the credit he deserves. it took that first year to get him going, but we werent going to do anything in 05 anyway. for 3 and 1/2 years he was the MAN in that lineup (started hot in 09 too before the initial injury). sure hes still makes big money, but he was worth it overall.

Originally Posted by CosmicCanon

He's played over 140 games the last two seasons, what the hell are you talking about?  He missed time in 06 and has been injured this year.  He's maybe a slightly better baserunner but there's no way in HELL Wright is a better defender, Zimmerman got robbed of a GG the year Wright won.

Mez, crosstown players got murdered for bad "demeanor" in the playoffs this decade.  Like I said, the only thing I disagree with is his take on Beltran because that's not his place to say.  But it's not like he's saying the dude is washed up, he's saying he's 65% of what he was and if you watched Beltran in KC and Houston you know he's right.

Originally Posted by CosmicCanon

He's played over 140 games the last two seasons, what the hell are you talking about?  He missed time in 06 and has been injured this year.  He's maybe a slightly better baserunner but there's no way in HELL Wright is a better defender, Zimmerman got robbed of a GG the year Wright won.

Mez, crosstown players got murdered for bad "demeanor" in the playoffs this decade.  Like I said, the only thing I disagree with is his take on Beltran because that's not his place to say.  But it's not like he's saying the dude is washed up, he's saying he's 65% of what he was and if you watched Beltran in KC and Houston you know he's right.

I can't believe that one pitch from one of the best pitchers in baseball who was throwing 95+ fastball and a 75 nasty hook. Erase everything Beltran did in that playoff run.

Yadier Molina seriously?

I can't believe that one pitch from one of the best pitchers in baseball who was throwing 95+ fastball and a 75 nasty hook. Erase everything Beltran did in that playoff run.

Yadier Molina seriously?

If you read up on the Wilpons and their relationship with the Dodgers, you'd understand why the Mets are rarely successful. They've enjoyed attempting to rebuild the Brooklyn bums over the last 3 decades, even going so far as to building a shrine to them in the new stadium when Dodgers mementos outnumbered Mets affiliation. These people do not belong as the owners of the Mets. This lawsuit that they're facing could potentially force them to sell the team and I'm happy because it's hard to deal with the failure that they've caused. Mets failure is a direct result of piss poor management. They signed the players to these outrageous deals so it's their fault. He rags on Beltran, Reyes and Wright but then has the nerve to say that he does "know pitching." You know pitching? The same guy who overpaid for a past prime Pedro Martinez? El Duque? Tom Glavine? Scott Schowenweiss? Aaron Heilman? OLIVER PEREZ?
sick.gif
This guy is delusional! I believe the time is coming when a major change will have to take place within Mets ownership. He's held on for long enough.

If you read up on the Wilpons and their relationship with the Dodgers, you'd understand why the Mets are rarely successful. They've enjoyed attempting to rebuild the Brooklyn bums over the last 3 decades, even going so far as to building a shrine to them in the new stadium when Dodgers mementos outnumbered Mets affiliation. These people do not belong as the owners of the Mets. This lawsuit that they're facing could potentially force them to sell the team and I'm happy because it's hard to deal with the failure that they've caused. Mets failure is a direct result of piss poor management. They signed the players to these outrageous deals so it's their fault. He rags on Beltran, Reyes and Wright but then has the nerve to say that he does "know pitching." You know pitching? The same guy who overpaid for a past prime Pedro Martinez? El Duque? Tom Glavine? Scott Schowenweiss? Aaron Heilman? OLIVER PEREZ?
sick.gif
This guy is delusional! I believe the time is coming when a major change will have to take place within Mets ownership. He's held on for long enough.

the New Yorker article

Nearly a decade ago, Fred Wilpon, the chairman and chief executive of the New York Mets, had his first meeting with the architects of what would become Citi Field, the team’s new ballpark, in Queens. “The first day the architects came to the site, they started saying blah, blah, blah, and I said to them, ‘Let me tell you how this is going to work,’

the New Yorker article

Nearly a decade ago, Fred Wilpon, the chairman and chief executive of the New York Mets, had his first meeting with the architects of what would become Citi Field, the team’s new ballpark, in Queens. “The first day the architects came to the site, they started saying blah, blah, blah, and I said to them, ‘Let me tell you how this is going to work,’

^Oh yeah, I read that whole thing..When you read how he was almost signed by his hometown Dodgers when he was in high school and how he got his wife a job working for them it's apparent that he probably loves the memory of the Brooklyn Dodgers more than he ever cared about the NY Mets. It's like us buying a retro pair of sneakers. And it's about time that this whole situation comes to an end. I'm so sick and tired of the way they run the Mets. And like I said before, we have been in this thread year in and year out with the same complaints for way too long. We need new ownership asap.

^Oh yeah, I read that whole thing..When you read how he was almost signed by his hometown Dodgers when he was in high school and how he got his wife a job working for them it's apparent that he probably loves the memory of the Brooklyn Dodgers more than he ever cared about the NY Mets. It's like us buying a retro pair of sneakers. And it's about time that this whole situation comes to an end. I'm so sick and tired of the way they run the Mets. And like I said before, we have been in this thread year in and year out with the same complaints for way too long. We need new ownership asap.

its only a matter of time. this lawsuit doesnt seem like its going to go in their favor at all. to go from not selling any part of the team, to 20-25%, to now 49%, Fred knows whats coming.

its only a matter of time. this lawsuit doesnt seem like its going to go in their favor at all. to go from not selling any part of the team, to 20-25%, to now 49%, Fred knows whats coming.

Back
Top Bottom