NY METS 2011 POST: Jose Reyes wins National League Batting Crown

Damn Pelfrey.
30t6p3b.gif
Really, that was a horrible managed situation.
tired.gif

Fred Wilpon takes shots at Mets players

New York Mets
principal owner Fred Wilpon takes pointed shots at some of his marquee players in an extensive article in The New Yorker mostly designed to highlight his rags-to-riches tale.

The embattled owner, who became ensnared in Bernard Madoff's Ponzi scheme and is now being sued for more than $1 billion by the trustee trying to recover funds for Madoff victims, tells the magazine:

• Shortstop Jose Reyes will not be getting a super-huge contract from the Mets. "He thinks he's going to get Carl Crawford money," Wilpon says, referring to Crawford's seven-year, $142 million contract with the Boston Red Sox. "He's had everything wrong with him. He won't get it."

• On right fielder Carlos Beltran, Wilpon mentions Beltran's huge postseason with the Houston Astros in 2004 and says, referring to himself: "We had some schmuck in New York who paid him based on that one series. He's 65 to 70 percent of what he was."

• About David Wright: "Really good kid. A very good player. Not a superstar."

• On whether the franchise might be snakebit, Wilpon makes another pointed Beltran reference. Author Jeffrey Toobin writes: "At one point, I mentioned to Wilpon the theory that the Mets might be cursed. He gave a sort of half laugh, and said, 'You mean' -- and then pantomimed a checked swing of the bat. Any Mets fan (I am one) would understand the reference. The Mets took the 2006 National League Championship Series to a seventh game against the Cardinals."

In the game Wilpon refers to, Beltran took a called third strike from Adam Wainwright to end it.

Wilpon apparently does like first baseman Ike Davis.

"Good hitter," Wilpon says of Davis. "S----- team. Good hitter. ... We're snakebitten, baby."

Reached by ESPNNewYork.com by email, Wright commented on Wilpon's statement: "Fred is a good man and is obviously going through some difficult times. There is nothing more productive that I can say at this time."

Madoff offers Wilpon endorsements in the article, trying to absolve the Mets ownership family of knowledge of the Ponzi scheme.

The disgraced Madoff wrote Toobin in an email: "Fred was not [at] all stock market savvy and [brother-in-law] Saul [Katz] was not really either. They were strictly Real Estate people. Although I explained the Strategy to them they were not sophisticated enough to evaluate it properly, nor were most of my other individual clients. They were not in a position to perform the necessary due diligence and did not have access to necessary financial info or records."

In a separate phone interview with Toobin, Madoff says: "He must feel that I betrayed him, as do most of my friends who were involved. Hopefully, they will understand the pressures I was under. I made money for them legitimately to start, but then I got trapped and was not able to work my way out of it. It just became impossible for me to extricate myself, or even try and extricate myself."

Adam Rubin covers the Mets for ESPNNewYork.com.

Follow Adam Rubin on Twitter: @AdamRubinESPN

Fred Wilpon takes shots at Mets players

New York Mets
principal owner Fred Wilpon takes pointed shots at some of his marquee players in an extensive article in The New Yorker mostly designed to highlight his rags-to-riches tale.

The embattled owner, who became ensnared in Bernard Madoff's Ponzi scheme and is now being sued for more than $1 billion by the trustee trying to recover funds for Madoff victims, tells the magazine:

• Shortstop Jose Reyes will not be getting a super-huge contract from the Mets. "He thinks he's going to get Carl Crawford money," Wilpon says, referring to Crawford's seven-year, $142 million contract with the Boston Red Sox. "He's had everything wrong with him. He won't get it."

• On right fielder Carlos Beltran, Wilpon mentions Beltran's huge postseason with the Houston Astros in 2004 and says, referring to himself: "We had some schmuck in New York who paid him based on that one series. He's 65 to 70 percent of what he was."

• About David Wright: "Really good kid. A very good player. Not a superstar."

• On whether the franchise might be snakebit, Wilpon makes another pointed Beltran reference. Author Jeffrey Toobin writes: "At one point, I mentioned to Wilpon the theory that the Mets might be cursed. He gave a sort of half laugh, and said, 'You mean' -- and then pantomimed a checked swing of the bat. Any Mets fan (I am one) would understand the reference. The Mets took the 2006 National League Championship Series to a seventh game against the Cardinals."

In the game Wilpon refers to, Beltran took a called third strike from Adam Wainwright to end it.

Wilpon apparently does like first baseman Ike Davis.

"Good hitter," Wilpon says of Davis. "S----- team. Good hitter. ... We're snakebitten, baby."

Reached by ESPNNewYork.com by email, Wright commented on Wilpon's statement: "Fred is a good man and is obviously going through some difficult times. There is nothing more productive that I can say at this time."

Madoff offers Wilpon endorsements in the article, trying to absolve the Mets ownership family of knowledge of the Ponzi scheme.

The disgraced Madoff wrote Toobin in an email: "Fred was not [at] all stock market savvy and [brother-in-law] Saul [Katz] was not really either. They were strictly Real Estate people. Although I explained the Strategy to them they were not sophisticated enough to evaluate it properly, nor were most of my other individual clients. They were not in a position to perform the necessary due diligence and did not have access to necessary financial info or records."

In a separate phone interview with Toobin, Madoff says: "He must feel that I betrayed him, as do most of my friends who were involved. Hopefully, they will understand the pressures I was under. I made money for them legitimately to start, but then I got trapped and was not able to work my way out of it. It just became impossible for me to extricate myself, or even try and extricate myself."

Adam Rubin covers the Mets for ESPNNewYork.com.

Follow Adam Rubin on Twitter: @AdamRubinESPN

Sounds like an upset old man, he is just trying to be cheap for this off season.

MLB should step in as well.

Sounds like an upset old man, he is just trying to be cheap for this off season.

I want to, but don't want to, read the full article at some point. Regardless, it's bad press and there's absolutely no need for that old *%%% to be talking to the press OR criticizing anyone else.

The Mets aren't going in any sort of positive direction until the Wilpons are gone. The offseason hires were solid to strong but between that family's idiocy and financial issues, the team is obviously not on strong footing.

I want to, but don't want to, read the full article at some point. Regardless, it's bad press and there's absolutely no need for that old *%%% to be talking to the press OR criticizing anyone else.

The Mets aren't going in any sort of positive direction until the Wilpons are gone. The offseason hires were solid to strong but between that family's idiocy and financial issues, the team is obviously not on strong footing.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Please Based God that this happens. It's distasteful to put your employees on blast like that, I don't care how they play, it's childish and not right.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Please Based God that this happens. It's distasteful to put your employees on blast like that, I don't care how they play, it's childish and not right.

He should not have answered the questions posed or maybe he got too comfortable with the reporter and didn't think those things would have been printed...but is he that wrong in his remarks about the players?

The only one I'll say he's wrong is Beltran but that's not on him TBH, GM's are the ones who scout FA's and report to the owner on em.

Is Reyes a 9 figure contract guy? Is Wright a superstar or anything what he was even last year?

He should not have answered the questions posed or maybe he got too comfortable with the reporter and didn't think those things would have been printed...but is he that wrong in his remarks about the players?

The only one I'll say he's wrong is Beltran but that's not on him TBH, GM's are the ones who scout FA's and report to the owner on em.

Is Reyes a 9 figure contract guy? Is Wright a superstar or anything what he was even last year?

Wrights having a down year but there was a stretch when he was the best 3rd basemen in baseball for a while, who is to say he can't get back to that?

Either way dude is a clown, sooner this team is sold the better

Wrights having a down year but there was a stretch when he was the best 3rd basemen in baseball for a while, who is to say he can't get back to that?

Either way dude is a clown, sooner this team is sold the better

Best 3rd baseman in baseball? Nah man you're bugging on that one. He wasn't better than A-Rod in 07 or 08 and he wasn't better than Zimmerman the last two year. I will give you that Rollins is probably holding his (or Holliday's) MVP. Besides, he isn't saying Wright is no good just not a superstar and that's 100% correct IMO.

Best 3rd baseman in baseball? Nah man you're bugging on that one. He wasn't better than A-Rod in 07 or 08 and he wasn't better than Zimmerman the last two year. I will give you that Rollins is probably holding his (or Holliday's) MVP. Besides, he isn't saying Wright is no good just not a superstar and that's 100% correct IMO.

HUGE difference between fans making those remarks and the owner of the team doing so...and in the MIDDLE OF THE #%@@@%! SEASON! The article refers to Steinbrenner having made similar comments about players over the years but the Wilpons need to realize right now that they have a team that is a) not a good investment at the moment b) partly due to declining fan interest c)which is mainly as a lack of results and confidence in ownership to right the ship.

It ALL falls on the Wilpons. They make the hires, they oversee everything and in some instances from the past, had their say a little too much. Fred Wilpon fancies himself a baseball expert. You hired Steve Phillips and Omar Minaya, you wrote the checks for these players. You sat on your hands this offseason aside from management changes that you needed to make. I have confidence in Alderson & company but not if the Wilpons are still in charge and hold the pursestrings with all of this other BS.

I think since he's such a fan, Wilpon probably looked at it as an optimistic point of view with the hope that maybe, if everything goes perfectly, we'll win. Rather than making some comments to further put down your team and its players in an article that you clearly did to tell your side of the story and improve the image of your family, you should've just shut your damn mouth or left those comments off the record. If you have the lack of foresight to not realize stuff like that is gonna get to the fanbase who already doesn't view you too positively, that's on you. I'm sure he just looked at it as an article that told got across what he wanted to in terms of the Madoff situation.

Keep in mind too that even as great as Citifield is, and I absolutely love it overall, HE determined the direction it took and that it was his personal ode to the Brooklyn Dodgers as much as it was the Mets new ballpark. That didn't sit well with a lot of fans and when you're already not putting a winning product on the field, you better make sure everything you're doing is right. Until then, the ballpark will be well below capacity and a family that could see some huge losses as a result of the Madoff situation could just hurt themselves even further.

Back
Top Bottom