NT, what is the highest level of education you have completed?

Originally Posted by Boilermaker X

BS, BA, MS, PhD, postdoctoral fellowship...then I turned pro.

The thing is, as soon as you take your first job out of school none of your degrees matter any more - it's all about experience.  So while you are in school and have flexibility, do everything you possibly can.  I've worked a lot of jobs doing all sorts of unrelated things (writing, editing, publishing, management, recruiting, teaching, admissions, scientific and medical research, etc.) and I could never convey to you how valuable those experiences have been, both personally and especially professionally.  

Some people like to think it's about knowing people and having connections but if your job relies upon knowing someone then you're pretty disposable.  If you distinguish yourself professionally and can put on a good attitude, work comes to you. 

That is some real talk right there.

A lot of people in college say, categorically, that it is all about "connections," and they are helpful for finding that first job in your field and connections can be very important in careers like journalism, politics and some aspects of business and law. However, I always tell younger people who want to be doctors, surgeons, engineers and scientists that "networking" will not build a bridge that will not fall down and "what you know" is more important than "who you know" when it comes to not killing a patient on the operating table.

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

HS. check
BA. check
MS. check
MD. 9 more months

How did you patient car go bro? I remember a few years ago you telling us that you got into med school.

HS. check
BA. check
MS. check
MD. 9 more months

How did you patient car go bro? I remember a few years ago you telling us that you got into med school.

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

HS. check
BA. check
MS. check
MD. 9 more months

finally being able to assume clinical responsibility of a patient is the ONLY thing that makes the first 2 years of med school worth it. anyone that tells you that first and second year weren't so bad or that they even enjoyed them is flat out lying. that being said, you really come to appreciate and realize how much you learned in those first two years when you have flesh and blood and someone's life on the line right in front of you. yea you work much harder and longer hours as a 3rd year, but for the most part you are learning in a practical setting and when you find a field that interests you, you get to learn and have fun at the same time.

HS. check
BA. check
MS. check
MD. 9 more months

finally being able to assume clinical responsibility of a patient is the ONLY thing that makes the first 2 years of med school worth it. anyone that tells you that first and second year weren't so bad or that they even enjoyed them is flat out lying. that being said, you really come to appreciate and realize how much you learned in those first two years when you have flesh and blood and someone's life on the line right in front of you. yea you work much harder and longer hours as a 3rd year, but for the most part you are learning in a practical setting and when you find a field that interests you, you get to learn and have fun at the same time.

Completed my certification in Broadcasting last year. I'm contemplating now going back to school for Computer Networking. I have a very strong interest in the field and need to pursue because time waits for no one.

Completed my certification in Broadcasting last year. I'm contemplating now going back to school for Computer Networking. I have a very strong interest in the field and need to pursue because time waits for no one.

The thing is, as soon as you take your first job out of school none of your degrees matter any more - it's all about experience.  So while you are in school and have flexibility, do everything you possibly can.  I've worked a lot of jobs doing all sorts of unrelated things (writing, editing, publishing, management, recruiting, teaching, admissions, scientific and medical research, etc.) and I could never convey to you how valuable those experiences have been, both personally and especially professionally.  

Some people like to think it's about knowing people and having connections but if your job relies upon knowing someone then you're pretty disposable.  If you distinguish yourself professionally and can put on a good attitude, work comes to you. 

Knowing the right person and having some experience trumps any piece of paper.

Some are lucky enough to get jobs off the strength of connects and some have to bust their %+* to get a degree...

Knowing the right person and having some experience trumps any piece of paper.

Some are lucky enough to get jobs off the strength of connects and some have to bust their %+* to get a degree...

HS diploma
BA in Biology
BS in Chemistry
MS in Chemical Engineering
*Maybe I'll go back in 2012 to get my MBA or just finish off my requirements for Phd..or just continue to work.

P.S. it's not all about what you know, it's who you know also. A lot of people right now who are equally qualified for a position are getting hired just from who they know. That's how I got the gig I'm in now.

HS diploma
BA in Biology
BS in Chemistry
MS in Chemical Engineering
*Maybe I'll go back in 2012 to get my MBA or just finish off my requirements for Phd..or just continue to work.

P.S. it's not all about what you know, it's who you know also. A lot of people right now who are equally qualified for a position are getting hired just from who they know. That's how I got the gig I'm in now.

*black man*

BA- English (CS Dominguez Hills)
MPA- Criminal Justice Administration (CS Dominguez Hills) 2009

*black man*

*black man*

*black man*

HS. check
BA. check
MS. check
MD. 9 more months

Third year is a trip..... and i'm only 2 months in. Already learning (it seems like) waaaaay more than I did in the first two years. It's very rewarding though.

HS. check
BA. check
MS. check
MD. 9 more months

Third year is a trip..... and i'm only 2 months in. Already learning (it seems like) waaaaay more than I did in the first two years. It's very rewarding though.

Back
Top Bottom