NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Started my first ever home brew from Northern Brewer. This batch is "Plinian Legacy" so i'm guessing it should taste similar to Pliny the Elder...

So... Founders KBS has finally arrived around my way. Y'all think it's worth the $24 for a 4 pack? 

So... Founders KBS has finally arrived around my way. Y'all think it's worth the $24 for a 4 pack? 
thats not a bad price, if its worth that much is up for debate, I would probably buy it, drink one, share one, save one, and gift one

Started my first ever home brew from Northern Brewer. This batch is "Plinian Legacy" so i'm guessing it should taste similar to Pliny the Elder...

did a couple of batches a few years ago and haven't done any since

something i plan to do more in the future when when my kids are bogging me down so much

Grabbed a pack today.

EDIT: cracked open a bottle, very boozy and sweet. A bottle is more than enough for me lol. Will sit the rest for awhile.

Last edited:

Haven't tried a dipa yet. Should be interesting.

DIPA's are good if they are done right. TIPA's (which the Waldo is) are another beast. Never had one I liked.

Walked into my local Total Wine and saw 120 on display. And then I saw the price.
$36 for a 4 pack.
:lol:
I walked out with another bottle of Parabola and a can of BA Ten Fidy.
A 12 pack of Born Again is half that price.

Is DFH 120 minute worth the price? I saw my local TW get in abou 6 cases worth. Is it seasonal? They hadnt put it out yet so I didnt go through the hassle. I just looked online and they are only selling singles for $9.99. If I'm passing on parabola at that price, I sure as hell would pass here too.

Taste buds have been wacky these last few weeks. Been on a real light beer kick lately

Drinking a modelo now. I just cant do it. Has a sort of candle like fragrance and fake corn flavor. I think I would rather do BL, CL, Bud, Miller Lite, Tecate, and almost any other Mexican import aside from Corona before trying Modelo again. It's okay on draft in a nice cold glass. Here, the imperfections are too nerve racking. Session lineup continues. I may go for one of each this evening to see how they compare

Last edited:
i think its worth buying a single.as far as a four pack, thats up for debate. Even though it has good flavor, the alcohol sweetness and booze became overwhelming as i continued to drink my glass so i can see how it can have mixed reviews. But i think ill like it even more if i cellar the rest for a year or two.

i think its worth buying a single.as far as a four pack, thats up for debate. Even though it has good flavor, the alcohol sweetness and booze became overwhelming as i continued to drink my glass so i can see how it can have mixed reviews. But i think ill like it even more if i cellar the rest for a year or two.
Yeah thats the thing. I finished off some Waldos last week and that first beer was amazing. It was fresh and had a nice bite. Every beer after that was a chore as it just felt way too sweet. Then a buddy kindly gifted me two more of his six pack. Those are still sitting. DFH60 is pretty mellow as far as hops go, DFH 90, even sweeter for me. I cant imagine DFH 120. my interest is there to just waste $10 and try one.

Onto some tries.

So Modelo had a canned on date around January '17. Not so bad. The Bitburger, I shouldve been more careful about. It has a one year canned on and best by date. Canned on August 25th, 2016. Its still world better than Modelo though...

I have heard unpasteurized from the source FRESH Pilsner Urquell is unworldly. The best I can get are best by dates ranging in the 6-8 month range.

Bitburger, drier, sharper, sweeter type of bite overall. Doesnt feel watered down like Modelo. Bitburger over the years, new or old, has never let me down.

Last edited:
Was drinking Scofflaw Basement off the tap for a few pitchers tonight. That stuff is fantastic. 

DFH 120 is sickly sweet. I'd try it at least once, but I wouldn't pick up a 4 pack especially at $36.

Haven't tried a dipa yet. Should be interesting.

DIPA's are good if they are done right. TIPA's (which the Waldo is) are another beast. Never had one I liked.

Walked into my local Total Wine and saw 120 on display. And then I saw the price.
$36 for a 4 pack.
:lol:
I walked out with another bottle of Parabola and a can of BA Ten Fidy.
A 12 pack of Born Again is half that price.

PtY drinks like a DIPA. Overhyped to hell, but still good.

Do we have a definition of TIPA yet? A lot of the breweries around my way are calling everything over 10% ABV a TIPA even though its IBUs are like 40-60.

My gf at the time lived near Bottle Logic and I happened to check Yelp for some breweries about a week after they first opened. Crazy the following they have now.

Tell me you started with Waldos'. :lol:

I started with the mahajara then a waldo after. I actually didn't like the mahajara at all. I preferred the waldo; thought it would be the other way around. That said, don't think dipa/tipa is something I'll be seeking out in the future.

Edit: Got these tonight

Last edited:

Tell me you started with Waldos'. 
laugh.gif
I started with the mahajara then a waldo after. I actually didn't like the mahajara at all. I preferred the waldo; thought it would be the other way around. That said, don't think dipa/tipa is something I'll be seeking out in the future.

I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet.  Maharaja isn't exactly the best DIPA out there by any stretch of the imagination (it also had the potential of being old on top of it) and Waldos' flat-out isn't a good beer for someone just getting into IPAs. IPAs have a huge range of flavors, just gotta find the type you like.  

Also...while I'm here I figured I'd spark up this conversation: what's your bottle opener game like, NT? Just ordered a new one off of them internets:

I had a brushed gold one before this.  Had to throw it away today because it didn't have a steel hook and the aluminum wore down from my roommate's daily Torpedo consumption 
laugh.gif
.  These are pretty legit though.  Nice being able to open a bottle with one hand.  Also keeps the caps from bending if you're a collector/hoarder.

Last edited:

Tell me you started with Waldos'. :lol:

I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet.  Maharaja isn't exactly the best DIPA out there by any stretch of the imagination (it also had the potential of being old on top of it) and Waldos' flat-out isn't a good beer for someone just getting into IPAs. IPAs have a huge range of flavors, just gotta find the type you like.  

Also...while I'm here I figured I'd spark up this conversation: what's your bottle opener game like, NT? Just ordered a new one off of them internets:

I had a brushed gold one before this.  Had to throw it away today because it didn't have a steel hook and the aluminum wore down from my roommate's daily Torpedo consumption :lol: .  These are pretty legit though.  Nice being able to open a bottle with one hand.  Also keeps the caps from bending if you're a collector/hoarder.

idealisk-corkscrew__0085957_PE214181_S4.JPG

The finest craftsmanship from Ikea

Only other thing on my key ring other than my car key

Bought one of these from a Bahamian cabby several years ago but it's currently lost

Spray painted one of these maroon and mounted it on my pub table

A couple of decent ones I've seen

Couldn't find pics of the other but I want to say it was like a clamp...it was initially a kickstarter campaign I think

Someone I know has one and I inquired about it, turns out it's pretty expensive though

Use this 90% of the time. An old Brooklyn Brewery opener from '04-'05. Been on my keychain since. 

Back
Top Bottom