NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

In South Africa for the week. The beer I've had so far sucks haha. Knew I should have listened to my wife and brought some from the states.

I'm excited about that barrel aged TEN FIDY. Wasn't really into craft beer for the first release.

In South Africa for the week. The beer I've had so far sucks haha. Knew I should have listened to my wife and brought some from the states.

I'm excited about that barrel aged TEN FIDY. Wasn't really into craft beer for the first release.

Go check out Cape Brewing's brewery if you're in Cape Town. It's probably a 30-45 minute drive from the city. It's out by a bunch of wineries so you can make a day out of it. 

Also - make sure you check out Neighborgoods on Saturday if you'll be in Johannesburg. It's awesome. 

Trying the sumpin sumpin ale. This stuff is really good; smooth, its kinda hard to believe its 7.5%. Been trying a lot of pale ales lately. Makes me want to try single hopped ales to better understand the individual hops.

Last edited:
I'm in Cape Town, Camps bay until Friday chopper, was going to try Devils peak brewery out, you been? I'll see how far Cape Town brewering is from me.

3 posts in a row.  Feel like I'm talking to myself at this point. :lol:

Anywho, hit up Other Half for the release today.  Here's the first pick:

Double Dry Hopped Double Mosaic Dream.  It's dry-hopped using mosaic "lupulin powder," which is apparently concentrated extract.  I had the first batch of Double Mosaic Dream that was canned around July/August, then they did a second batch which the general consensus deemed to be way better than the first canning, and now we have this.  Right off the bat: holy ****.  I love mosaic hops, and this is probably the best expression of them I've ever had.  "Pungent" would be the best adjective to describe this one.  This ranks somewhere in my top 10 beers from them.

Other Half seems to really be hitting their stride as of the past few months.  Bigger yields, more variety (4 different beers per release is their new standard), and much smoother release days.  Now if only they would start canning their flagship beers...

I'm going to be in NYC in November. How hard is it to catch these GRIMM and Other Half releases? I believe the release them on certain days on a weekly/bi-weekly basis?

Stay cation happening starting tomorrow afternoon. Some tries I'll be trying.

-13 day old sucks at $7.50/sixer. Easily the best drunken value around. Easily.
-Deschutes had two seasonals out. A hopped up marzen and a juniper DIPA. Single tries there. I'll be the Guinea pig.
-Luponic #3. I liked #2. We shall see.
-Local elevated ipa. Week old.
-hadn't seen tangerine hop nosh before
-buying a FBS Each visit to beer store.
-3 day old local project dank.

Doesn no one else just drink normal six or four pack beer? Post them up ppl. Don't be ashamed.

So far.

Tangerine hop nosh disappointing. Tasting kind of old.

Luponic distortion #3 tasting very light and crisp at 5.9%. Hops seem muted

Project dank not disappointing at all.

Sucks at anything less than a month is a real treat imho. Sort of an old school fresh tasting citrus burst of flavor.

I think I have some older stouts I'll be busting out later this weekend/ into next week. Be on the look out.

Death by coconut.
Last of a stone xoco
15vs16 ten fidy and fbs
15 narwhal ( 16 narwhal is just so value priced at $9/4 pack, it'd be stupid not to).
15 bcbs
15 jet black winter ( local breweries first bottled bbA). Solid fresh. We shall see what 10 months did to it.
Random amount of backwoods B
Random amount of 15v16 KBS.

Beer fridge cleaning will be put to the ultimate test.

Nice haul Wally. Still working through all the beers you sent over haha. Had the Marble Double White the other day. Fantastic Witbier! Very dangerous at 7% ABV.

3 posts in a row.  Feel like I'm talking to myself at this point. :lol:

Anywho, hit up Other Half for the release today.  Here's the first pick:

Double Dry Hopped Double Mosaic Dream.  It's dry-hopped using mosaic "lupulin powder," which is apparently concentrated extract.  I had the first batch of Double Mosaic Dream that was canned around July/August, then they did a second batch which the general consensus deemed to be way better than the first canning, and now we have this.  Right off the bat: holy ****.  I love mosaic hops, and this is probably the best expression of them I've ever had.  "Pungent" would be the best adjective to describe this one.  This ranks somewhere in my top 10 beers from them.

Other Half seems to really be hitting their stride as of the past few months.  Bigger yields, more variety (4 different beers per release is their new standard), and much smoother release days.  Now if only they would start canning their flagship beers...

Loved Double Mosaic Dream when i had it. Definitely need to get my hands on this!

Sipping on this tonight while watching football. Perfect for a 90 degree day.

Good stuff all. That dank by cedar creek is easily two months old at the only spot in town where I live. I bought some awhile back. Tough price point considering its age unfortunately. I saw potential but I just can't do the real old stuff. They went 12oz/6 packs right? Never seen anything but the 16 ozers.

Some family in town. Nothing macro about our weekend ahead.

I think we're running a 15 Oktoberfest sampling, 5 pumpkin plus a mix of other stuff. I want to throw in a old vs new ten fidy. And a new vs old FBS. That may put us over the top.

A local brewery released their coffee stout, 2013 gabf gold medal winner. It comes out 2-3 times a year. Consumption today way beyond what I initially wanted lol. Growler to go on the left

Triple play of very very good Pilsner/ lagers. I guess that's my safety net. 9 gabf/wbc medals between these three.

Have a safe one all.
I'd love to hear your opinions on the Oktoberfest brews you tried.  From the ones I can make out from your pic, I've tried and enjoyed Ballast Point, Leinenkugel, Erdinger, and Sierra Nevada.  Did not enjoy the Sam Adams at all.  Still trying to get my hands on that Shiner.  If you haven't tried Firestone Oaktoberfest, it's worth checking out IMO.

Good stuff all. That dank by cedar creek is easily two months old at the only spot in town where I live. I bought some awhile back. Tough price point considering its age unfortunately. I saw potential but I just can't do the real old stuff. They went 12oz/6 packs right? Never seen anything but the 16 ozers.

Some family in town. Nothing macro about our weekend ahead.

I think we're running a 15 Oktoberfest sampling, 5 pumpkin plus a mix of other stuff. I want to throw in a old vs new ten fidy. And a new vs old FBS. That may put us over the top.

A local brewery released their coffee stout, 2013 gabf gold medal winner. It comes out 2-3 times a year. Consumption today way beyond what I initially wanted lol. Growler to go on the left

Triple play of very very good Pilsner/ lagers. I guess that's my safety net. 9 gabf/wbc medals between these three.

Have a safe one all.

I'd love to hear your opinions on the Oktoberfest brews you tried.  From the ones I can make out from your pic, I've tried and enjoyed Ballast Point, Leinenkugel, Erdinger, and Sierra Nevada.  Did not enjoy the Sam Adams at all.  Still trying to get my hands on that Shiner.  If you haven't tried Firestone Oaktoberfest, it's worth checking out IMO.

How could I have forgotten this.. We did this a little over 3 weeks back. I don't think I posted it here
14jt7x4.jpg

We tried them all in one big sitting.

I have two trains of thought here. There is that American marzen deeper more sweet sort of oktoberfest, and then you have the paler less sweet more crisp festbier.. It's like your Sad Adams Ofest vs. Weihenstephaner Festbier. Very few all in the middle. Althought there was a few.

I'd say all your American versions save for FW and SN are pretty much interchangeably sweet. So if you sort of like BP or SA, or SF, you would likely like the others. FW is lighter in ABV than all the rest. Uniquely more like a regular ol hoppy pils imho. SN showed the most promise as it exhibited both edges of sweetness and paleness. All the German brewed beers are just made so clean and to near perfection. Nothing overly sweet about any of them.

I want to say Ayinger was a crowd favorite. I personally like the pale versions so I naturally liked almost all of the German brewed ones more. A buddy likes your SA type of oktoberfest and found it hard to pick a favorite. Although Spaten's version is not quite a pale version at all, so that sort of fell right into the middle for him. Not really a true dud in the whole group.
-------
Went by a few local breweries over the weekend. Totally forgot about my fridge stash and goal to clean it all up by weeks end... I really dont think thats happening. I may wait for the holidays to unleash some of these

@neosole89, it's scary how low key the ABV is on the double white. I heard that one is nearly selling the same amount as their IPA. It's like the blue moon of NM. Chicks dig it pretty hard too

Support your local breweries.
Monkish Vellichor w/raspberries and Monkish My First Canning Line IPA. I watched them can this beer and bring it to me. As fresh as it can get.

still regret passing on sticky monkey
I have a bottle or two of Stickee Monkee I think. I passed on Helldorabo because I'm trying to cut back and drink what I have but I've never had Helldorado so I wish I wouldn't of been so lazy & used that as an excuse
laugh.gif
. Good stuff?
great brew
I have 2 left from last year. That's incredible; I hope I can get more.  
Grabbed one of each at a local TW.
My local spots have A LOT of last years FBS. I grabbed a 4 pack again the other day. I want the new release to drop so I can compare. Narwhal has nowhere to be found yet around my parts.

masterplanman masterplanman I also would love to know your thoughts on Helldorado.

One shop had Helldorado with a one bottle/person limit and sold out. A TW around me has been sitting on three cases (no limit) since that same time frame.. I'm also unclear if it is actually worth the $15/17/bomber. If its not BBA @ that price, and a hefty ABV stout, it just doesnt seem worth it. I'm including all of the Cascade sours that I had heard so many great things about. And now they're in my stores and it's just so easy to say no to $22 bombers

Had Helldorado last year.  Way too sweet and boozy for my taste.  Still have a bomber in my closet.  It might be good now, but it was a beer that definitely needed time to mellow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom