NT, At what age should you move out of your house? 18 or 21? Serious and Mature Discussion

I didn't realize true financial responsibility until age 24. I am now almost age 26, but still do not consider myself financially independent of either my own family or my wife's family. My parents gifted us money to help buy a house. We are supposed to close tomorrow. We shouldn't need any assistance from here on out, but who knows?

I view family as a safety net, people you can fall back on in times of need. Some find themselves more fortunate than others, with parents who have financial stability and don't even blink an eye when it comes to lending a helping hand to their kids.

There is no universal formula for determining readiness for independence, sometimes you don't even have a choice.

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

When you finish college.

seriously. i dont plan on movin out anytime soon and im bouta hit 21. im not working crazy to pay rent and tuition and maintain a good gpa combined with other aspects of life. whats the rush

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

When you finish college.

seriously. i dont plan on movin out anytime soon and im bouta hit 21. im not working crazy to pay rent and tuition and maintain a good gpa combined with other aspects of life. whats the rush

Originally Posted by eaalto

I didn't realize true financial responsibility until age 24. I am now almost age 26, but still do not consider myself financially independent of either my own family or my wife's family. My parents gifted us money to help buy a house. We are supposed to close tomorrow. We shouldn't need any assistance from here on out, but who knows?

I view family as a safety net, people you can fall back on in times of need. Some find themselves more fortunate than others, with parents who have financial stability and don't even blink an eye when it comes to lending a helping hand to their kids.

There is no universal formula for determining readiness for independence, sometimes you don't even have a choice.
Trus me, u will. I thought the same thing when my wife and I got our first apt 3yrs ago b/c university housing didn't allow children in the dorms. Even though we had the refund checks payin the rent and low bills, the unexpected hit us each and every time. Hell, it hit us the weekend of our wedding 2mo. ago.

U def right about family bein a safety net to fall back on in times of need. I don't know what my wife and I would've done w/o the help of our family.

Ppl nowadays are too busy tryna live by other ppls means. My boy was out at 18, had no choice. My lil cuzzo has Sickle Cell type C and can't work so he's still at home at 23. He pays bills w/ his disability so it aint like he moochin.  Everybody's life is different. If u can, stay at home for as long as u need to b/c when u finally out there "on ur own" it's a whole different beast. No more Hundreds, exspensive feets, new flat screens every 6mos, etc.

Originally Posted by krazy88s

Originally Posted by JayPesoz

N/A if you're filipino
laugh.gif
Explain. Because I know a Filipino dude in his late 20's, working and such and at home. Same thing with a Filipino woman I know.
I'm 99% sure he means Filipinos live with their parents longer than other ethnicities do.
Even when married and when they start their own family, parents "move in" with them.

I have Filipino neighbors, there's gotta be at least 10 in each household.

Originally Posted by krazy88s

Originally Posted by JayPesoz

N/A if you're filipino
laugh.gif
Explain. Because I know a Filipino dude in his late 20's, working and such and at home. Same thing with a Filipino woman I know.
I'm 99% sure he means Filipinos live with their parents longer than other ethnicities do.
Even when married and when they start their own family, parents "move in" with them.

I have Filipino neighbors, there's gotta be at least 10 in each household.

Originally Posted by eaalto

Trus me, u will. I thought the same thing when my wife and I got our first apt 3yrs ago b/c university housing didn't allow children in the dorms. Even though we had the refund checks payin the rent and low bills, the unexpected hit us each and every time. Hell, it hit us the weekend of our wedding 2mo. ago.

U def right about family bein a safety net to fall back on in times of need. I don't know what my wife and I would've done w/o the help of our family.

Ppl nowadays are too busy tryna live by other ppls means. My boy was out at 18, had no choice. My lil cuzzo has Sickle Cell type C and can't work so he's still at home at 23. He pays bills w/ his disability so it aint like he moochin.  Everybody's life is different. If u can, stay at home for as long as u need to b/c when u finally out there "on ur own" it's a whole different beast. No more Hundreds, exspensive feets, new flat screens every 6mos, etc.

Originally Posted by SNEAKERKING757

Originally Posted by miamib30514

Originally Posted by ChiefWiggum

When your finances allow you to do so.
yes, It'll be such a downer to see that, you raised your kids right, get them ready to set them off to the world and now seeing them running back with their heads down. It'll only make your parents disappointed asking them what they did wrong. well thats how i see. im 23 still living with them, they dont want me to leave but when i have my stacks right, ima be out and make sure i wont be going back.

Originally Posted by SNEAKERKING757

Originally Posted by miamib30514

Originally Posted by ChiefWiggum

When your finances allow you to do so.
yes, It'll be such a downer to see that, you raised your kids right, get them ready to set them off to the world and now seeing them running back with their heads down. It'll only make your parents disappointed asking them what they did wrong. well thats how i see. im 23 still living with them, they dont want me to leave but when i have my stacks right, ima be out and make sure i wont be going back.

I'd say around age of 26 or 27. Most people get marry around this age and most should be somewhat financially ready to move out on their own. However everyone have different background, cultures and life situation. Imo there shouldnt be a society standard to when you should move out. You live your life and you do you. Move out if you think you can pay rent, insurance, foods, etc and still have money left to enjoy life. Sound easy but i bet you most people who move out right now will be struggling to live comfortable in this economy. Suck to see $1200 of your money go to the landlord every month man
smh.gif
I could do a whole lot with my monthly rent money too

I'd say around age of 26 or 27. Most people get marry around this age and most should be somewhat financially ready to move out on their own. However everyone have different background, cultures and life situation. Imo there shouldnt be a society standard to when you should move out. You live your life and you do you. Move out if you think you can pay rent, insurance, foods, etc and still have money left to enjoy life. Sound easy but i bet you most people who move out right now will be struggling to live comfortable in this economy. Suck to see $1200 of your money go to the landlord every month man
smh.gif
I could do a whole lot with my monthly rent money too

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

Im the head of the household, I can't
tired.gif

This...I was on my way out until my moms got sick this year now who knows when I can leave. So to answer OPs question it really depends on your situation.

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

Im the head of the household, I can't
tired.gif

This...I was on my way out until my moms got sick this year now who knows when I can leave. So to answer OPs question it really depends on your situation.

It definitely depends on your situation. I left at 25, but helped with bills from 23. I wasn't ready to move out before that. There's no set time.

It definitely depends on your situation. I left at 25, but helped with bills from 23. I wasn't ready to move out before that. There's no set time.

Back
Top Bottom