NT, At what age should you move out of your house? 18 or 21? Serious and Mature Discussion

i moved out when i was 20, been on my own grinding. now in the military and should have enough money for a bachelor pad

i moved out when i was 20, been on my own grinding. now in the military and should have enough money for a bachelor pad

Originally Posted by Luong1209

Originally Posted by krazy88s

Originally Posted by JayPesoz

N/A if you're filipino
laugh.gif
Explain. Because I know a Filipino dude in his late 20's, working and such and at home. Same thing with a Filipino woman I know.
I'm 99% sure he means Filipinos live with their parents longer than other ethnicities do.
Even when married and when they start their own family, parents "move in" with them.

I have Filipino neighbors, there's gotta be at least 10 in each household.
yup. When I moved out at 19, all my aunts & uncles gave me a crazy look
laugh.gif
  I have a lot of friends and family who are more than financially stable to be on their own, but are more than comfortable living at home. Hell, after my brother married his girl, he moved into her family's crib
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Luong1209

Originally Posted by krazy88s

Originally Posted by JayPesoz

N/A if you're filipino
laugh.gif
Explain. Because I know a Filipino dude in his late 20's, working and such and at home. Same thing with a Filipino woman I know.
I'm 99% sure he means Filipinos live with their parents longer than other ethnicities do.
Even when married and when they start their own family, parents "move in" with them.

I have Filipino neighbors, there's gotta be at least 10 in each household.
yup. When I moved out at 19, all my aunts & uncles gave me a crazy look
laugh.gif
  I have a lot of friends and family who are more than financially stable to be on their own, but are more than comfortable living at home. Hell, after my brother married his girl, he moved into her family's crib
laugh.gif

I moved out @ 18. Didn't live the typical 18 year old college lifestyle either. I always worked full time and went to school so I could afford it

I moved out @ 18. Didn't live the typical 18 year old college lifestyle either. I always worked full time and went to school so I could afford it

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

I'd say around age of 26 or 27. Most people get marry around this age and most should be somewhat financially ready to move out on their own. However everyone have different background, cultures and life situation. Imo there shouldnt be a society standard to when you should move out. You live your life and you do you. Move out if you think you can pay rent, insurance, foods, etc and still have money left to enjoy life. Sound easy but i bet you most people who move out right now will be struggling to live comfortable in this economy. Suck to see $1200 of your money go to the landlord every month man
smh.gif
I could do a whole lot with my monthly rent money too
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

I'd say around age of 26 or 27. Most people get marry around this age and most should be somewhat financially ready to move out on their own. However everyone have different background, cultures and life situation. Imo there shouldnt be a society standard to when you should move out. You live your life and you do you. Move out if you think you can pay rent, insurance, foods, etc and still have money left to enjoy life. Sound easy but i bet you most people who move out right now will be struggling to live comfortable in this economy. Suck to see $1200 of your money go to the landlord every month man
smh.gif
I could do a whole lot with my monthly rent money too
ohwell.gif

It all depends on all the factors. I'm 20 still in college and I want to move out but I live in NY. Rent for a studio is like 1500 without utilities. I mean I can pull that off but I would have no spending money/ money for utilities/furniture, let alone going out money. Everyone's situation is different. Whenever you are financially stable you should move out. With that being said you should be aiming for that as soon as possible and not living with mom and dad till the last minute.

It all depends on all the factors. I'm 20 still in college and I want to move out but I live in NY. Rent for a studio is like 1500 without utilities. I mean I can pull that off but I would have no spending money/ money for utilities/furniture, let alone going out money. Everyone's situation is different. Whenever you are financially stable you should move out. With that being said you should be aiming for that as soon as possible and not living with mom and dad till the last minute.

I dont think theres an actual age. I would say 23...

But Im 24 living at home still. I have my bachelors for a year now, cant find a better paying job.the job i have now, would allow me to live in apartment, but that would be throwing money away seeing my mom wants/needs me to be her to help out.(shes watching 2 grandkids, brother made some mistakes) wit the job i have now, i (use to) save like crazy, maxed out my (roth) ira for 5 years now, invest etc....what im sayin is i have the financial ability to move out, but my goals of owning, helping out, etc tells me not to.

S!!! I/we graduated and attempting to enter the workforce during these years F!!! up everything. I know WE should have NO excuses, but i think we have a legitimate one in this recession.

I dont think theres an actual age. I would say 23...

But Im 24 living at home still. I have my bachelors for a year now, cant find a better paying job.the job i have now, would allow me to live in apartment, but that would be throwing money away seeing my mom wants/needs me to be her to help out.(shes watching 2 grandkids, brother made some mistakes) wit the job i have now, i (use to) save like crazy, maxed out my (roth) ira for 5 years now, invest etc....what im sayin is i have the financial ability to move out, but my goals of owning, helping out, etc tells me not to.

S!!! I/we graduated and attempting to enter the workforce during these years F!!! up everything. I know WE should have NO excuses, but i think we have a legitimate one in this recession.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

SHOULD? No such thing as SHOULD. It all depends on when the person is ready. So if someone goes to college, comes home at 22, they SHOULD move out? Says who? Where is this rule book? What if they go to grad school as well. Back at home by 25. They SHOULD move out? Even though they have no money?

Don't get caught up in numbers man. Move out when you are ready.
Especially since certain areas like the Bay with its crazy rent prices....you can't stack up *#%@ with an entry-level job on a Bachelor's degree...unless you're an engineer/i-banker etc...

SHOULD? No such thing as SHOULD. It all depends on when the person is ready. So if someone goes to college, comes home at 22, they SHOULD move out? Says who? Where is this rule book? What if they go to grad school as well. Back at home by 25. They SHOULD move out? Even though they have no money?

Especially since certain areas like the Bay with its crazy rent prices....you can't stack up *#%@ with an entry-level job on a Bachelor's degree...unless you're an engineer/i-banker etc...

Exactly.

Exactly.

honestly, if i could have...i would have stayed home until student loans were paid off and/or i had enough money to put a huge down payment on a house.

honestly, if i could have...i would have stayed home until student loans were paid off and/or i had enough money to put a huge down payment on a house.

Back
Top Bottom