Nike Air Jordan Retro 3 OG “Fire Red” 2022

Laziness. Not caring enough. Only caring about money. Brainwashing kids to buy anything at the time. I passed on each retro on the Fire Red 3s. Both are complete trash. It’s not the same shoe.
Well I tell u this those kids prefer the 2013 over these the comments on ig and Twitter got me doing the Birdman hand rub cause the 22 pair I need 3 with ease if not definitely 2 pairs

Well I tell u this those kids prefer the 2013 over these
1658191028893.gif

I hate to complain, because I know I'm getting these regardless (whether its retail or reseller prices), but I'm just not happy with these. Maybe its because I have been looking at the OGs for so long and that image is stuck in my head... Like rafbuddy rafbuddy said, the black elephant lines are so thick, they should be thin and pencil-like...and the grey should be darker. I'm also not too fond of how this silhouette has been watered down due to the Cardinal 3s that released not too long ago. Idk man, just very underwhelmed. But I am biased, 88 Fire Red 3s are prob my favorite Jordan of all time.

Was looking at this earlier. Something about the OG pair in there looks very off to me. Looks like maybe it's been re-soled and possibly had the back tab redone? Can't put my finger on it haha.
The right OG shoe definitely looks like it's been sole swapped because of the thin line between the midsole and the sole, like it didn't get a proper glue job.

But it also looks like it could have been DS in the box the whole time because of the way the upper is bent, like it was crammed in a box. I've seen tons of shoes like that.

What was the reasoning for turning the ep black? I hadn't started buying shoes at this point so I'm out of the loop.

The reason was likely the old catalog pics. That's probably all they really had to go on at the time, and we always knew the print on these was darker than the other 3 pairs. These look an awful lot like that 2006 retro, don't they?

Screenshot_20220720-004900.png

They didn’t have that dna archive back in 2006? Couldn’t someone have gone there to look at the actual shoe? Or buy a pair off ebay?

Right? :lol:

Seems mind boggling that they'd just refer to a catalog.

"How dark should we do the toebox print sir"
"IDK, just look in the JC Penny catalog from 20 years ago"

They did that kind of thing quite a bit at that point. I mean, that is an official Nike product shot from their catalog. I'm guessing they thought that was a better representation than a shoe that had been sitting in storage and rotting for 20 years.

It was right around the 3rd week of July in 1988. I got a phone call from my boy Mato that he just saw these up at the mall. His description was glorious but still did not do the shoe justice. When I finally laid my eyes on her it was love at first sight. Was is and will always be my favorite AJ of all time.

D97646F4-5233-4629-BFC9-53EFA07AB3F6.png

If I would have known about sole swapping I never would have let them go. Wore them for the last time in the fall of 2002 when they started to crumble.

<Love>

I really can’t tell the difference between this EP and the regular without seeing them side by side.. It’s a little disappointing for me. Never thought i’d say it but they really look better with the dark EP. If they woulda just used the EP off the “dark iris” pair ☹️

I’m just going to post this pic of the OGs next to the 2022 every time someone says the elephant is “not dark enough” to prove that it is. Some of y’all act as though the EP is supposed to black and it’s not. They should’ve done two separate releases for these. One for people who want a retro of the 2007/2013 and one for people who want a retro of OGs. The 2022 are supposed to be a retro of the OGs and they did a damn good job at that IMO.
64A64C18-B677-41CB-8C68-50F07DA12082.jpeg

I’m just going to post this pic of the OGs next to the 2022 every time someone says the elephant is “not dark enough” to prove that it is. Some of y’all act as though the EP is supposed to black and it’s not. They should’ve done two separate releases for these. One for people who want a retro of the 2007/2013 and one for people who want a retro of OGs. The 2022 are supposed to be a retro of the OGs and they did a damn good job at that IMO.
64A64C18-B677-41CB-8C68-50F07DA12082.jpeg
I can’t even acknowledge the other trash retros with the black print. They are just bootlegs and fugazi specials. A dumbed down version of the original perfect classic ‘88.

I wish we could get that OG style elephant print back. EP Lines are so big on the 2022, really the only flaw. Everything else looks great.
That’s really the only flaw they have. Unfortunately they haven’t gotten the lines right since 2003 or maybe even the ‘94s. Still way too thick for sure but the EP color overall is pretty spot on and they make a clear effort to give us a dark grey like the OG instead of a black like the prior retros. I feel the thicker black lines actually helps these because it darkens the EP when looking at them from a distance. Therefore I don’t see what the big deal is and why people keep complaining that it isn’t dark enough. It clearly is lol.

That’s really the only flaw they have. Unfortunately they haven’t gotten the lines right since 2003 or maybe even the ‘94s. Still way too thick for sure but the EP color overall is pretty spot on and they make a clear effort to give us a dark grey like the OG instead of a black like the prior retros. I feel the thicker black lines actually helps these because it darkens the EP when looking at them from a distance. Therefore I don’t see what the big deal is and why people keep complaining that it isn’t dark enough. It clearly is lol.

I've been thinking the same thing about the thicker lines here. Definitely helps darken it up a little bit.

Yeah I've noticed it since the BC4

Either it's misaligned, the sizing of the Nike Air sign is off, or the font is different.
All of the above and the backstabbing and the shoes in general aren't as bulky or tall as OGs. They're slimmer and shorter.

Example: the OG 11s are 4/4 cut in height while the retros are 3/4. That's why people say the patent is too high, well the shoe is too short.

Apologies, I am guilty and shouldn't be complaining about the shade of the grey. I've seen some pictures taken with flash and I need to take that into consideration when I make the claim that the EP needs to be a darker grey. And I Do Not mean dark like the 07 or 13 versions, from some pics I have seen the grey seems light grey but OG is closer to Medium grey. EP lines are really the only miss here that I can nit-pic.

I just don't quite understand...is it a purposeful act that they don't design an EXACT copy of what was done in 88? Not talking materials, but with the EP lines, I just don't understand why they are purposely made so thick as if they aren't looking at the same exact shoe that we are looking at from 88. I just don't get that. As mentioned in previous post, I'm super biased because the Fire Red 88 might be my fav Jordan of all time, so I'm being extra anal and bratty about the retro looking exactly like it. I've legit been looking for a Nike Air FR3 since 2001, in the beginning of 10th grade, when I saw my boy Charles with the Black cements. I was like, "OH Man, I hope they come out with the 'White and Red' pair"! Pretty certain that I was throwing "Fire red" around back then. Anyways, end rant. Getting the shoes whether its retail or resale, so I guess I just need to ****.

Back
Top Bottom