Nike Air Jordan 4 Retro "White/Cement" - The Aftermath - NO BUYING/SELLING/TRADING

When I was a kid in the OG era, it would take me a full school year to beat a pair up, and that's wearing it 300+ times in harsh "kid" environments.  Even if you only have 10 pairs of shoes, if you wear them all, it would take years for any one pair to be a beater....And for those with dozens of shoes, it would take decades.  Even my heavy rotation shoes look pretty much pristine.  If you're skateboarding in them, playing ball, or other sports, I could see them wearing down, however, for just casual wear, I'll probably die (or grow board of them) before they actually wear out.  If I were to double up on my grails, they'd more than likely rot and become unwearable before my first pair wore out.  
I remember wearing white Air Force 1s on the playground (elementary school) and they cleaned up alright, one pair I got clay on and they recovered alright but still looked discolored.

When I was a kid in the OG era, it would take me a full school year to beat a pair up, and that's wearing it 300+ times in harsh "kid" environments.  Even if you only have 10 pairs of shoes, if you wear them all, it would take years for any one pair to be a beater....And for those with dozens of shoes, it would take decades.  Even my heavy rotation shoes look pretty much pristine.  If you're skateboarding in them, playing ball, or other sports, I could see them wearing down, however, for just casual wear, I'll probably die (or grow board of them) before they actually wear out.  If I were to double up on my grails, they'd more than likely rot and become unwearable before my first pair wore out.  
This is why I'm hesitant to double up, even though this is my favorite shoe of all time.

These are my 100% grails...1st instinct is to double up...then logic intervenes, and tells me that makes no sense, and I'll feel bad when they rot away before I get to wear the second pair....

That's not true, my legend blue IV I wore all summer look like crap and cracking all over the place

Last edited:

This is why I'm hesitant to double up, even though this is my favorite shoe of all time.

Im sure most of the time its just for peace of mind. I like being able to enjoy my kicks without being overly concerned with any damage that may come from wearing them.

Im sure most of the time its just for peace of mind. I like being able to enjoy my kicks without being overly concerned with any damage that may come from wearing them.
Yeah that's usually why I double up. If something really bad happens and you rip the leather on something sharp , you can just get a fresh pair out of the closet.

That's not true, my legend blue IV I wore all summer look like crap and cracking all over the place
Mine just started cracking last week, looks like somebody used a butter knife 
mean.gif

Mine just started cracking last week, looks like somebody used a butter knife :smh:

People didn't believe me when I said they cracked, this happened months ago

I think I broke them out in April and wore them up until September cracked around June lol

People didn't believe me when I said they cracked, this happened months ago

I think I broke them out in April and wore them up until September cracked around June lol
I believed you, I just don't understand why mine hasn't cracked yet.

Shoes are meant to be worn, stress cracks will show on the midsoles.  Not sure if anyone has done a legit test but the midsoles on the older retros would crumble with age.  The recent banana stuff will show paint cracks, and most people associate this with the actual midsoles cracking.  Many many posts I've seen misinterpret this.  I've never heard or seen the actual midsoles crack to a point where the shoes are no longer wearable.

The midsoles are all generic from the same mold and all painted on.  Case in point, I suppose the midsoles these days last longer than the midsoles on the older retros.  

Shoes are meant to be worn, stress cracks will show on the midsoles.  Not sure if anyone has done a legit test but the midsoles on the older retros would crumble with age.  The recent banana stuff will show paint cracks, and most people associate this with the actual midsoles cracking.  Many many posts I've seen misinterpret this.  I've never heard or seen the actual midsoles crack to a point where the shoes are no longer wearable.

The midsoles are all generic from the same mold and all painted on.  Case in point, I suppose the midsoles these days last longer than the midsoles on the older retros.  

View media item 1820300

My boy. He told me about the Bred 1s dropping next yr before word hit NT. Also told me of the possibility of the Royal 1s dropping next yr as well. I used to post info as far as Nike retros releasing a few yrs ago but I stopped. But like I said who knows man. I wouldnt put it past JB since theyre moving the date up on the Chrome 8s

I asked Dino on Twitter whether theses are getting moved up to December and he just laughed at the question and said nah. How many people at Nike knew in advance they were pushing both the 11's and 8's release forward?

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd actually prefer if JB still used the old Polyurethane midsoles as opposed to the more durable Ethylene Vinyl Acetate found on later retros. The PU midsoles were so much softer and more comfortable. I don't really care if the shoes fall apart in 15 years. At the rate JB retros stuff nowadays, it's really a non-issue for me.

On a related note... What are current AJV retro midsoles made of? I haven't owned a pair newer than 2007, but the 07's were still using PU; whereas I believe the AJIV switched to EVA in 2004.

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd actually prefer if JB still used the old Polyurethane midsoles as opposed to the more durable Ethylene Vinyl Acetate found on later retros. The PU midsoles were so much softer and more comfortable. I don't really care if the shoes fall apart in 15 years. At the rate JB retros stuff nowadays, it's really a non-issue for me.

On a related note... What are current AJV retro midsoles made of? I haven't owned a pair newer than 2007, but the 07's were still using PU; whereas I believe the AJIV switched to EVA in 2004.

I agree about that comfort thing. I dont know the names and terminology of the soles, just going with my experiences with them.

I like the PU midsoles as well. I notice on the older retros (AJ IV, Flight 89's), the opening of the air bubble is slight bigger than the current retros which makes the sneakers look better.

Even though they are comfortable, those soles will not last if the shoes not stored properly.

Atleast the speckles are on point. Something is very off about the shape around the ankle. It really bugs me but I can live with all the other flaws.

where did you learn that the new pairs are "Ethylene Vinyl Acetate" ? To my knowledge they only changed the formula to create a "closed cell" PU, as opposed to the older "open cell" that was so much more comfortable, but was susceptible to crumbling.

Im also pretty sure the 06-07 5s are not classic PU, none of mine were as comfortable as the 2000 pairs.

Last edited:
I'm with ya. Even shoes I've worn 30-40+ times look almost new. And because of that, I've never bothered doubling up on anything. I could see doubling up on a pair if you planned on wearing them a couple times a week for a couple years, but if you have a half decent collection (and mine is quite small compared to most on this site) and rotate through it all at least somewhat regularly, I really don't see the point, since JB re-retros stuff pretty often these days.

Having said that, if I manage to cop these NA WC IV's, I'll look at it as my first ever double up since I already have the 2012s. My 2012s still look great, but if I can score, I'll move the 2012s out of the closet, and next to the door, store the 2016s for a bit, and really get some wear on my 2012s :smokin . And if I strike out, no biggie either, I'm not willing to pay more then 30-40 over retail for the 2016s honestly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom