NFL Fines 5 Falcons for "Free Mike Vick" shirts

Originally Posted by jerseymizzle

And a Taylor comparison is apples to oranges. Clearly not even close to the same situation
wrong. both players lifted up their jerseys to reveal shirts with a personal message supporting someone. one was fined, one was not. you can say the circumstances are different but either it's all OK or none of it is. just to clarify...i don't support mike vick. i just don't agree with the NFL's rule here.

i can see some people missed the "free speech" discussion in american history though. read up on the law and get back to us.

lol, nice stab at trying to be funny... i think most everyone here is familiar with free speech.

by the way, i think the american government, and the NFL League office are two separate entities... if the commissioner thinks that its ok forportis or whoever it was to have a tribute to #21 under his jersey, he can... and nothing anyone says will change it..

they support 2 completely different messages. show me the NFL constitution where it says all players have the right to free speech... then ill agree with you

Roper.jpg

whats nonsense is, telling me that someone who made a tribute to one of his best friends, who died, and then anotherwho did the same for a player who was convicted of a felony should be treated the same

exceptions are made... theres no way in hell that anyone supporting ST like portis did would get a fine for it.. these things shouldnt be compared

Props to Roger Goodell and the NFL. This should have happened the day after the game where these guys tried to upstage the team and the NFL.

Originally Posted by Jetpacunlimited

Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy

Originally Posted by goldNboi7

How in the hell are they gettin fined for supportin his friend and teammate thru a tough time in his life? What are they supposed 2 do, just FORGET that they knew this dude 4 years and years? They should be praised 4 their solidarity and loyalty.

The NFL can fine my@$!$ too, cuz I damn sure got a Free Mike Vick shirt 2.

Supporting a felon is the new thing in society?

Cool, someone hook me up with a Free Enron CEO's and Free Charles Manson shirts.
Not only are you trying hard... I bet you listen to rap and support some of the artist by purchasing the album... Some of those guys are felons. And I bet you download music... illegally... You support that now don't you?

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
you've gotta be kidding me... somebody's trying too hard, i'll let everybody else decide though... i think i'm just biased here.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
eek.gif
@ this whole topic.

I think it's wrong for the wording on the T-Shirt. "Free Mike Vick". I think Vick made his own hole and has to dig out of it himself. Maybe likeDMX said another type of shirt would've been more appropriate, like "We support Vick" or "We Miss You #7". Any shirt with"Free" involving a convicted felon isn't appropriate and shouldn't be allowed.

Originally Posted by nnarum

laugh.gif
eek.gif
@ this whole topic.

I think it's wrong for the wording on the T-Shirt. "Free Mike Vick". I think Vick made his own hole and has to dig out of it himself. Maybe like DMX said another type of shirt would've been more appropriate, like "We support Vick" or "We Miss You #7". Any shirt with "Free" involving a convicted felon isn't appropriate and shouldn't be allowed.

I think anything like you're saying, that just shows support would've been better.. but they still deserve a fine for it.. It's against therules and wasn't in anyway helpful to the league's image.

1. I'm not surprised

2. It was distasteful.

3. They could have supported Vick by sending a different message.

I agree with dmxfury, there are different ways to support a friend who is about to do time for being GUILTY. "Free Mike Vick" was a stupid messageto send, it was distastful and it was a slap to the face to many people (Dog lovers, the justice system, etc.).

It is cool to support a friend/teammate during hard times, the group of Falcons just did it in a bad way.

I'm with every word Fanatic15 has typed on this one.

You can support your friend without wishing that his crime goes unpunished.

There are people in my life that I love to DEATH. However, if one of them does something that is going to send them to prison, I'm not going to petitionfor their sentence to disappear. That's not support. That's just immaturity taking the place of reason.

Originally Posted by Fanatic15

MV-7 on the eye blacks? - Cool

Free Mike Vick Shirt? - Not cool. He plead guilty so saying "Free Mike Vick" imo is basically condoning his actions. You free innocent people, not the guilty. I don't agree w/ that at all.

Do you have friends? Assuming that you do, if one of them got arrested for something like this, would you not at least morally support him simply because they're your friend, even if you don't agree with or are even appalled by what he did?

You can morally support a friend (Which is why I have no problem w/ the MV-7 thing), but by saying Free him, u support his actions... the NFL has every right to say "Hey, that won't be happening here". The Sean Taylor thing is quite different. That man died , he didn't commit a crime and then go to prison for it.

Co-sign 100%

but by saying Free him, u support his actions...
Assumption.
And still got fined. I don't understand why people are arguing over one word, here.
Exactly.

I can make assumptions, as well. "Free Mike Vick", "Support MikeVick", "Love Mike Vick", what's it matter? We all know what the point was, and people areoverreacting.

^ Assumption?

Sort of.

But to eliminate the assumption: Why should he be free?

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

but by saying Free him, u support his actions...
Assumption.
And still got fined. I don't understand why people are arguing over one word, here.
Exactly.

I can make assumptions, as well. "Free Mike Vick", "Support Mike Vick", "Love Mike Vick", what's it matter? We all know what the point was, and people are overreacting.

Well put it this way.. By saying Free him, the general perception is that you support his actions.

Originally Posted by dmxfury

I understand that "Free _______" is a sign of support, but it is pretty black and white with the wording. Why not wear a shirt that says "Much Love Mike" or "I still support Mike Vick", etc. Better ways to say it. I don't feel bad though, they knew what they were getting into when wearing the shirts. They knew a fine would be coming and were obviously ok with it. If they are ok with it, we should probably all be ok with it.

And a Taylor comparison is apples to oranges. Clearly not even close to the same situation

Finally, I would love a Free Enron shirt
laugh.gif

Except that you know nothing about free speech so quit citing it like you really understand the constitution. There are dress requirements in the NFL having to do with uniforms - isn't that a violation of free speech? The answer is no - it's not. They're a business and nobody is obligated to work for them, if you don't adhere to their rules stated in the contract that YOU sign they can fine you and even kick you out entirely... nice try though.
Thanks. I was cracking up at that free speech stuff. Glad some people came in here and got it worked out.

Free Enron? Get out of here. What Enron dide was wrong 100% and was not justified, Vick he has some clearance because of the gray area.

I will still maintain that these players KNEW they would get fined (I highly doubt they compared it to the Sean Taylor shirts and thought if that worked thenso could Mike Vick shirts) and were clearly ok with it. If THEY were ok with getting a message across regardless of a fine, why aren't we fine with it?

Originally Posted by CasperFromKIDS

You can support your friend without wishing that his crime goes unpunished
NFL begs to differ.

No they don't. They don't want you doing it at THEIR game, during THEIR broadcast, with THEIR corporate sponsors watching.
What's the difference between having a commercial of Vick or some idiot raising a shirt of "Free Vick" during the game? Same goes for theeye black. The NFL doesn't want him associated with the league in any way during their broadcasts. Can you blame them? His stupid actions are directlycosting them money (through the Falcons). Allowing players to display some$+%%#*+*$ images of "Free Vick" during a game is only going to hurt themmore.

Why do people have to go on this "Free XXXX" tip now? If you commit a crime and go to jail, you deserve it. Just goes to show you how ignorant theseidiots are.

Originally Posted by H TOWN HUSTLER

Originally Posted by dmxfury

I understand that "Free _______" is a sign of support, but it is pretty black and white with the wording. Why not wear a shirt that says "Much Love Mike" or "I still support Mike Vick", etc. Better ways to say it. I don't feel bad though, they knew what they were getting into when wearing the shirts. They knew a fine would be coming and were obviously ok with it. If they are ok with it, we should probably all be ok with it.

Finally, I would love a Free Enron shirt
laugh.gif

Except that you know nothing about free speech so quit citing it like you really understand the constitution. There are dress requirements in the NFL having to do with uniforms - isn't that a violation of free speech? The answer is no - it's not. They're a business and nobody is obligated to work for them, if you don't adhere to their rules stated in the contract that YOU sign they can fine you and even kick you out entirely... nice try though.
Thanks. I was cracking up at that free speech stuff. Glad some people came in here and got it worked out.

Free Enron? Get out of here. What Enron dide was wrong 100% and was not justified, Vick he has some clearance because of the gray area.

Gray area? Please. He fought dogs. He ran an illegal ring. He killed dogs. He's a felon. He was 100% wrong and not justified. Not to say that hiscrimes were on the level of Enron's, but they do share that felony conviction in common.

Back
Top Bottom