NFL Fines 5 Falcons for "Free Mike Vick" shirts

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

It's not dumb to support him.

Do you have friends? Assuming that you do, if one of them got arrested for something like this, would you not at least morally support him simply because they're your friend, even if you don't agree with or are even appalled by what he did?

It must be how people are brought up or something... my Uncle Rob was driving drunk and slammed into a car, killing an infant and her mom. He always had aproblem with the bottle and my Grandpa told him that he needed to stop before he killed or hurt someone. Not one person from our family showed up for supportat his trial... whats the point? He ended two peoples lives and hurt an entire family because of his inability to stop drinking. It's not like it wasaccidental by any means - he drank TOO MUCH, got behind the wheel and killed two people.

It's not the same type of crime, but people need to realize it's not like some dude dropped 50 pit bulls on Mikes property and called the cops. He knewEXACTLY what he was doing and what would happen if he got caught. He knew he would get thrown in jail, yet he kept doing it. If I was his teammate I would bedisgusted at what he did... he pretty much said screw all my friends and family, I need to keep messin with dogs. Why?

what makes this different from clinton portis showing off a sean taylor shirt the week before? $*!! the message on the shirts for a minute, it's the exact same thing otherwise. yet you don't see anyone talking about fining portis.
Good point.

it's obvious the league is saying "we don't want anyone to acknowledge michael vick's existence"
And another.

we've done had the argument about whether or not they should'v worn the shirts. now, they simply broke NFL rules and they will pay for it. whetheryou think that the punishment doesn't fit the crime is another story, similar to Vick's situation.

it's obvious the league is saying "we don't want anyone to acknowledge michael vick's existence"
"existence"?
grin.gif
i think that's a little toofar, but why would they want Vick to be recognized?

They deserved to get the fines.. the intent matters. Portis doing the thing for ST can't be lumped in with these guys supporting a convicted felon, i thinkit actually shows a lot of heart by the NFL for not fining Portis... showing that they don't follow their rules to the T when there are specialcircumstances. They should be given credit for that.

I in no way support Vick, but I think his teamates should be commended for being stand-up guys. In this fine-happy league, it's refreshing to see peoplerisk punishment to make a point.

MV-7 on the eye blacks? - Cool

Free Mike Vick Shirt? - Not cool. He plead guilty so saying "Free Mike Vick" imo is basically condoning his actions. You free innocent people, notthe guilty. I don't agree w/ that at all.

Do you have friends? Assuming that you do, if one of them got arrested for something like this, would you not at least morally support him simply because they're your friend, even if you don't agree with or are even appalled by what he did?

You can morally support a friend (Which is why I have no problem w/ the MV-7 thing), but by saying Free him, u support his actions... the NFL has every rightto say "Hey, that won't be happening here". The Sean Taylor thing is quite different. That man died , he didn't commit a crime and then go toprison for it.

Originally Posted by Fanatic15

Free Mike vick Shirt? - Not cool. He plead guilty so saying "Free Mike Vick" imo is basically condoning his actions. You free innocent people, not the guilty. I don't agree w/ that at all.

You can morally support a friend (Which is why I have no problem w/ the MV-7 thing), but but saying Free him, u support his actions... the NFL has every right to say "Hey, that won't be happening here". The Sean Taylor thing is quite different. That man died , he didn't commit a crime and then go to prison for it.

co-sign.

Again people take these "free ____" shirts way to seriously. Its about SUPPORT, nobody actually supports what Vick actions.

Are you all that blind? Why would the NFL allow its players to display support for a convicted felon at one of their events? It's for the image of theleague. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Are you all that blind? Why would the NFL allow its players to display support for a convicted felon at one of their events? It's for the image of the league. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you.

It doesn't matter what image it puts on the league, it's free speech! They have the right to say what they want no matter if it's stupid or if noone agrees with it. The image of the NFL takes a second seat to the constitution.

Originally Posted by BirdsIView

Are you all that blind? Why would the NFL allow its players to display support for a convicted felon at one of their events? It's for the image of the league. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you.

It doesn't matter what image it puts on the league, it's free speech! They have the right to say what they want no matter if it's stupid or if no one agrees with it. The image of the NFL takes a second seat to the constitution.

Except that you know nothing about free speech so quit citing it like you really understand the constitution. There are dress requirements in the NFLhaving to do with uniforms - isn't that a violation of free speech? The answer is no - it's not. They're a business and nobody is obligated towork for them, if you don't adhere to their rules stated in the contract that YOU sign they can fine you and even kick you out entirely... nice trythough.

Originally Posted by Fanatic15

Free Mike Vick Shirt? - Not cool. He plead guilty so saying "Free Mike Vick" imo is basically condoning his actions. You free innocent people, not the guilty. I don't agree w/ that at all.

You can morally support a friend (Which is why I have no problem w/ the MV-7 thing), but by saying Free him, u support his actions... the NFL has every right to say "Hey, that won't be happening here". The Sean Taylor thing is quite different. That man died , he didn't commit a crime and then go to prison for it.

Co-sign X 100

BirdsIView wrote:

It doesn't matter what image it puts on the league, it's free speech! They have the right to say what they want no matter if it's stupid or if no one agrees with it. The image of the NFL takes a second seat to the constitution.

No one took away their freedom of speech. They can do that same thing every week... but they are going to get fined for it.

how can you even compare the portis situation to the mike vick one? hall and crumpler did show support and i have no hate on that. all they did was put hisnumber and thats it. they shouldnt be fined for something like that. that WAS REAL support. rody white i can understand. how is free vick mean support. hecould have just wore a #7 under that jersey and it would have been cool. free vick basically says man he shouldnt be in jail and doesnt deserve to be there.those of you who think its cool and dont see a problem with it are just as ignorant as mike vick.

Originally Posted by BirdsIView

Uggh. The NFL is not a public entity. They have every right to limit the speech of their members. Just like the NFL can fine for criticism of officials,they can fine for showing support of a convicted felon during one of their broadcasts.

You can morally support a friend (Which is why I have no problem w/ the MV-7 thing), but by saying Free him, u support his actions... the NFL has every right to say "Hey, that won't be happening here".
Bingo. A forgive mike vick or somethign like that would show support and be appropriate. Free mike vick is foolishness

Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy

Originally Posted by goldNboi7

How in the hell are they gettin fined for supportin his friend and teammate thru a tough time in his life? What are they supposed 2 do, just FORGET that they knew this dude 4 years and years? They should be praised 4 their solidarity and loyalty.

The NFL can fine my@$!$ too, cuz I damn sure got a Free Mike Vick shirt 2.

Supporting a felon is the new thing in society?

Cool, someone hook me up with a Free Enron CEO's and Free Charles Manson shirts.
Not only are you trying hard... I bet you listen to rap and support some of the artist by purchasing the album... Some of those guys are felons. And Ibet you download music... illegally... You support that now don't you?

I understand that "Free _______" is a sign of support, but it is pretty black and white with the wording. Why not wear a shirt that says"Much Love Mike" or "I still support Mike Vick", etc. Better ways to say it. I don't feel bad though, they knew what they weregetting into when wearing the shirts. They knew a fine would be coming and were obviously ok with it. If they are ok with it, we should probably all be okwith it.

And a Taylor comparison is apples to oranges. Clearly not even close to the same situation

Finally, I would love a Free Enron shirt
laugh.gif

Except that you know nothing about free speech so quit citing it like you really understand the constitution. There are dress requirements in the NFL having to do with uniforms - isn't that a violation of free speech? The answer is no - it's not. They're a business and nobody is obligated to work for them, if you don't adhere to their rules stated in the contract that YOU sign they can fine you and even kick you out entirely... nice try though.
Thanks. I was cracking up at that free speech stuff. Glad some people came in here and got it worked out.

Back
Top Bottom